• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Kong-Kool-Aid
    Zag for Life
    • Nov 2009

Gonzaga a mulligan

Jeff Goodman mentioned earlier today in an interview that Gonazga was a team he'd want a mulligan on. After seeing them earlier in the year he picked them to win the national championship, apparently he wasn't that impressed with what he saw at the WCC tournament and feels the WCC as a whole hurts the Zags and has caused them to deteriorate.

He now is not sure that they are even Final Four material.

Bulletin boards!
  • NumberCruncher
    Professional Zag Fan
    • Feb 2013

Guess I'll take a mulligan on my opinion of Goodman.

Comment

• gonzagafan62
      Zag for Life
      • Nov 2013

Originally posted by NumberCruncher View Post
      Guess I'll take a mulligan on my opinion of Goodman.
      I'd just like to know what he saw vs BYU honestly.
      Qualified for 26 Straight Big Dances

15 Straight Round of 32s

14 Sweet Sixteens (9 Straight)

6 Elite Eights

2017 AND 2021 FINAL FOUR

2 Winningest Players in college basketball history (Karnowski 137, Perkins 134)

2021 Undefeated Regular Season

The Best Point Guard to ever play the game: John Stockton, most assists, most steals.

Comment

• U Zig, I Zag
        Zag for Life
        • Mar 2009

These guys hedge their opinions. Certain types of teams win in the tourney. Strong, powerful guards that can make their own shot. Jumpy, bouncy bigs that can snag rebounds and slam the ball home. Intense D. We don't have that sort of game, necessarily.

Comment

• TheZagPhish
          Zag for Life
          • Feb 2007

In a weird way I've come around to liking the climate of doubt, and even the lazy repetition of the same old tropes.

It is my hope that this Zags team will make the many doubters and bracket bullies weep crocodile tears as their expectations get upended.
          Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right

Comment

• Kong-Kool-Aid
            Zag for Life
            • Nov 2009

Originally posted by gonzagafan62 View Post
            I'd just like to know what he saw vs BYU honestly.
            He didn't specifically mention that game, but he definitely said the WCC has hurt them and caused them to regress. And that he will be changing his national title pick on Sunday as his "mulligan"

Someone could tweet him and ask if they are on the ole twitter.

Comment

• jazzdelmar
              Zag for Life
              • Feb 2007

Originally posted by U Zig, I Zag View Post
              These guys hedge their opinions. Certain types of teams win in the tourney. Strong, powerful guards that can make their own shot. Jumpy, bouncy bigs that can snag rebounds and slam the ball home. Intense D. We don't have that sort of game, necessarily.
              You're describing a vintage Michigan State team. And you're right.

Comment

• DZ
                Zag for Life
                • Sep 2007

To the extent anyone who didn't pick Kentucky to win it all and now wants to reassess their pick - fine.

The line about "may not be good enough to make the final four" - there is a general consensus that there are 8 teams (7, not including UK) that are a step above the rest of the country. Four of them (at least) "will not make the final four."

In other words, Jeff, that's just a brilliant breakdown. How much do you get paid again? I'll offer to do even better analysis for $20,000 less a year.
                Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.
                Mark Twain.

Comment

• Zagger
                  Banned
                  • Mar 2008

For being ho-hum the Zags sure get talked about
                  It is what it is - Zags are a unique program in a unique conference. From this Zag fan's perspective - they sure are exciting to watch play and a program to be very proud of - win or lose. I'm having a hard time waiting for next Thurs or Fri to get here! How many other BB fans have their favorite team @ 32-2
                  Let the pundits pundify all they want. The Zag program will keep attracting guys (and gals) we can all get excited about. The rest is gravey

Comment

• SunDevilGolfZag
                    Zag for Life
                    • Feb 2007

Goodman' opinion is a classic case of "whatever"

Comment

• gonzagafan62
                      Zag for Life
                      • Nov 2013

Originally posted by U Zig, I Zag View Post
                      Good point but we didn't have that to begin with lol... But the trends are made to be broken. go zags
                      Qualified for 26 Straight Big Dances

15 Straight Round of 32s

14 Sweet Sixteens (9 Straight)

6 Elite Eights

2017 AND 2021 FINAL FOUR

2 Winningest Players in college basketball history (Karnowski 137, Perkins 134)

2021 Undefeated Regular Season

The Best Point Guard to ever play the game: John Stockton, most assists, most steals.

Comment

• willandi
                        Zag for Life
                        • Nov 2007

To continue with the golf analogy...Jeff, play them as they lie! Mulligans are cheating!
                        Not even a smile? What's your problem!

Comment

• U Zig, I Zag
                          Zag for Life
                          • Mar 2009

Originally posted by gonzagafan62 View Post
                          Good point but we didn't have that to begin with lol... But the trends are made to be broken. go zags
                          True!

Comment

• Zagricultural
                            Professional Zag Fan
                            • Nov 2012

He is right though. Just not the same team as they were with Perkins. They can still make it, but it is going to take extreme effort and hustle.

Comment

• bartruff1
                              Zag for Life
                              • Jan 2010

I am too lazy to go back and look at the games but I think he is right....in any case, they played well against BYU and that is a positive sign...I never ever thought they would be NC or reach the FF...but, they could make the sweet sixteen....

Comment

Working...
                              X