• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • zagamatic
    Zag for Life
    • Aug 2009

19 losses

As I recall, Kevin and Gary have a total of only 19 total losses in their careers to this point. That got me thinking about how their career number stacks up to team records this year alone. I just went through the ESPN website and did a quick total (in my head, so it may not be completely accurate), and I counted something like 93 teams that have lost 19 or more games THIS YEAR ALONE. That's roughly 1in 4 teams. In my book, that's just flat out impressive! And I certainly thought it was worth mentioning.
  • DZ
    Zag for Life
    • Sep 2007

I got a feeling that the four year career of Gary and Kevin here likely could only be matched by some of those players on the UCLA teams in their glory days. I am guessing that there is a slight possibility that a player or two from the dominating UNLV days might have something similar. But, all the other teams, UNC, Kansas, any the Ralph Sampson teams, all likely had down years at least once.

Just a guess.
    Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.
    Mark Twain.

Comment

• GoZags
      Super Moderator
      • Feb 2007

399 losses

Originally posted by zagamatic View Post
      As I recall, Kevin and Gary have a total of only 19 total losses in their careers to this point. That got me thinking about how their career number stacks up to team records this year alone. I just went through the ESPN website and did a quick total (in my head, so it may not be completely accurate), and I counted something like 93 teams that have lost 19 or more games THIS YEAR ALONE. That's roughly 1in 4 teams. In my book, that's just flat out impressive! And I certainly thought it was worth mentioning.
      That's my number ... since I started following the Zags as a Freshman. I've posted before that since that first day, I've always known a) their most recent score and b) their record ... at all times ... despite a few years of relying on the US Marines guarding our Embassy in Beijing to "fill me in" or relying on "mouse type" at the back of Chicago and New York 5 Star Finals (newpaper editions indicating the last version ... with late night West Coast scores)

I never dreamed we'd have a group of Seniors like Kevin and Gary, who are sitting on 19 going into the Dance their Senior year.

Here's hoping they never reach 20 ... and I don't hit 400 for another 10 months or so.
      sigpic
      “To be continued …”. Fr Tony Lehman, SJ
      ——-
      List of All Americans (1st Team Top 5) and Academic All Americans (1st Team Top 5) in the same season since '00:
      Shane Battier, Dan Dickau, Omeka Okafor, DJ Augustin, Kelly Olynyk, Nigel Williams-Goss, Corey Kispert.

Comment

• OZZY
        Zag for Life
        • Aug 2009

I second that GZ!

Comment

• gonzagabasketball
          Kennel Club Material
          • Dec 2011

Originally posted by DixieZag View Post
          I got a feeling that the four year career of Gary and Kevin here likely could only be matched by some of those players on the UCLA teams in their glory days. I am guessing that there is a slight possibility that a player or two from the dominating UNLV days might have something similar. But, all the other teams, UNC, Kansas, any the Ralph Sampson teams, all likely had down years at least once.

Just a guess.

Didn't Christian Latner go to four final fours?

Comment

• Birddog
            Zag for Life
            • Feb 2007

Originally posted by gonzagabasketball View Post
            Yes and didn't Duke win 2 NC's with him?
            Birddog

Twas brillig, and the slithy toves
            Did gyre and gimble in the wabe:
            All mimsy were the borogoves,
            And the mome raths outgrabe.

Comment

• gonzagafan62
              Zag for Life
              • Nov 2013

Yup
              Qualified for 26 Straight Big Dances

15 Straight Round of 32s

14 Sweet Sixteens (9 Straight)

6 Elite Eights

2017 AND 2021 FINAL FOUR

2 Winningest Players in college basketball history (Karnowski 137, Perkins 134)

2021 Undefeated Regular Season

The Best Point Guard to ever play the game: John Stockton, most assists, most steals.

Comment

• NumberCruncher
                Professional Zag Fan
                • Feb 2013

Yes, but Duke lost 26 games during those 4 years.

Comment

Working...
                X