PDA

View Full Version : Best/Worst Possible Matchups in the Tournament

strikenowhere
03-13-2015, 06:34 AM
Hey guys,

With a couple of days to go until Selection Sunday, I was curious as to everyone's opinions as to who the Zags would match up best/worst against possibly in the tournament. I know that Kentucky is the big baddie on the block that everyone wants to avoid, but what does everyone else think? I think the worst teams we'd want the Zags to avoid would be Kentucky & Virginia as their defenses are stifling. Additionally, watching Villanova's three point barrage yesterday made me worry yet again about facing any team that has a lot of 3-point shooters on it that could get hot on any day.

Thanks for your opinions!

gonzagafan62
03-13-2015, 06:48 AM
The Selection committee likes to be funny. I wouldn't be surprised if EWU was our 15 seed if EWU won the conference tournament :/

jazzdelmar
03-13-2015, 06:55 AM
Hey guys,

With a couple of days to go until Selection Sunday, I was curious as to everyone's opinions as to who the Zags would match up best/worst against possibly in the tournament. I know that Kentucky is the big baddie on the block that everyone wants to avoid, but what does everyone else think? I think the worst teams we'd want the Zags to avoid would be Kentucky & Virginia as their defenses are stifling. Additionally, watching Villanova's three point barrage yesterday made me worry yet again about facing any team that has a lot of 3-point shooters on it that could get hot on any day.

Thanks for your opinions!

Presumptuous. Let's worry about 64 and 32 for now.

CarolinaZagFan
03-13-2015, 06:59 AM
I hope NC State isn't our 7/10 matchup. They have the size to compete with us down low and have shown they're capable of beating anyone when they're on.

Kong-Kool-Aid
03-13-2015, 07:01 AM
The Selection committee likes to be funny. I wouldn't be surprised if EWU was our 15 seed if EWU won the conference tournament :/

They aren't sticking EWU in Seattle as a 15 seed.

VinnyZag
03-13-2015, 07:18 AM
I'd be most worried about a second round matchup against someone like Ohio State or Providence, both of which have stud guards who could beat GU by themselves if they get hot. Both of those schools are projected in the 6 to 9 range, so they reasonably could end up facing GU in the second.

gonzagafan62
03-13-2015, 07:19 AM

http://scores.espn.go.com/ncb/preview?gameId=320750096

Don't be so sure about that Kong-Kool-Aid.

They stuck Kentucky and Western Kentucky in Louisville. 1 vs 16

DixieZag
03-13-2015, 08:23 AM

Boy, I wouldn't make that assumption, that committee loves to be cute and loves storylines, especially early. I can just hear it now "The schools are 9 miles apart and there has to be some resentment by EWU toward the Zags being the focus. The coaching staff knows and respects each other, and are even friends on some level. EWU will not be intimidated and have extra motivation to be the Zags...."

All of which would be correct, and if we somehow matched up with them, I would be physically sick until the game is decided and we come out with more points.

I dearly hope that EWU is higher than a 15, b/c otherwise it is just too tempting for those accountants on the committee.

basketballzag
03-13-2015, 08:37 AM
Don't want to go up against Boise State.

cjm720
03-13-2015, 08:39 AM
I hope NC State isn't our 7/10 matchup. They have the size to compete with us down low and have shown they're capable of beating anyone when they're on.

They can look horrible too. IMO we'd blow them out 9/10 times.

DixieZag
03-13-2015, 08:41 AM
In the round of 32, I want a middle of the road BCS team, preferably from the SEC, but will take Big 10.

We always seem to do better against these schools rather than the MWC, and OVC, and those private school conferences in the east.

CdAZagFan
03-13-2015, 08:52 AM
While watching all these conference tourneys I've been thinking about this also but in more generic terms. I do worry about good 3-point shooting teams, but it seems like there are so many teams that "can" get hot from 3, so that doesn't worry me as much as watching some of these dominant big men. I personally think that our front court will have trouble with guys like Kaminsky who can shoot the 3 as well as go inside, and also with freakish athletes like Montrezl Harrell. Hopefully we won't see guys like this for quite awhile in the tourney... Probably every team we play will have some great weapons - inside or out. We just have to play confident like KW said in his press conference after the BYU game.

siliconzag
03-13-2015, 08:59 AM

What if Seattle U wins the WAC? That would be funny. In terms of who matches up well against the Zags, we've lost twice this year, Arizona excels in Defense, and BYU in offense. The Zags worst enemy is temerity. Cannot play conservatively in the tournament. Cannot play to preserve small leads. Last night Creighton was leading Georgetown by 5 going into the final 4 minutes. They quit playing with abandon and coughed it up. The Wichita State game many of you are fond of referencing was another example of taking the foot off the pedal, same UCLA. No more temerity. Full throttle. (And pray we don't match up against Fischer's team).

Sili

gonzagafan62
03-13-2015, 09:02 AM
What if Seattle U wins the WAC? That would be funny.

Dangit. Another team to root against, lol

siliconzag
03-13-2015, 09:07 AM
:cheers:
Dangit. Another team to root against, lol

Really, now that is mean, gonzagafan62. Root for them. It would be highly entertaining. Not a chance for those Chieftains, er, I mean Redhawks!

gonzagafan62
03-13-2015, 09:10 AM
:cheers:

Really, now that is mean, gonzagafan62. Root for them. It would be highly entertaining. Not a chance for those Chieftains, er, I mean Redhawks!

I do root for both teams most of the time. Gotta watch out for #1 first. . . . although, if they didn't play us in the tourney, it would be fun to watch them play.

gbnyba17
03-13-2015, 10:21 AM
Worst: Notre Dame. I watched them last night and they slash and get to the rim and also absolutely light it up from deep. IMO this is the exact team that would give GU fits because we don't guard those two things particularly well. That could be a potential sweet 16 matchup...

CDC84
03-13-2015, 10:31 AM
What if Seattle U wins the WAC? That would be funny.

Zags wouldn't play them if this happened. You cannot play on any court in the NCAA tourney that you played 3 or more games on during the regular season.

Notre Dame wouldn't be fun to play, but they stink on defense. 131rd in defensive efficiency. Zags are 24th. The Zags might be able to just outscore them. Outside of UK, I think UVA is the worst matchup because they not only slow down the pace and get you to play their way, but they are actually good on offense. They have attacking wings who can create shots. UVA is actually 23rd in offensive efficiency. It's not like they drain 33 seconds off the clock and just huck any old shot up.

I don't want to play some team in the round of 32 like San Diego State. A team that Gonzaga is clearly better than but who can ugly up a game so much that it might frustrate the team. A team that does what Billy Grier and USD do but with more talented players.

DixieZag
03-13-2015, 12:46 PM
Zags wouldn't play them if this happened. You cannot play on any court in the NCAA tourney that you played 3 or more games on during the regular season.

Notre Dame wouldn't be fun to play, but they stink on defense. 131rd in defensive efficiency. Zags are 24th. The Zags might be able to just outscore them. Outside of UK, I think UVA is the worst matchup because they not only slow down the pace and get you to play their way, but they are actually good on offense. They have attacking wings who can create shots. UVA is actually 23rd in offensive efficiency. It's not like they drain 33 seconds off the clock and just huck any old shot up.

I don't want to play some team in the round of 32 like San Diego State. A team that Gonzaga is clearly better than but who can ugly up a game so much that it might frustrate the team. A team that does what Billy Grier and USD do but with more talented players.

MWC - BLECH
MVC - BLECH
Conf USA - BLECH

You get the pattern

cjm720
03-13-2015, 12:54 PM
In watching the Xavier Butler game last night it made me think we'd have a tough time against those opponents. They both play real fast, yet grind with their relentless defense. Overall, they're more athletic than us too.

Mr Vulture
03-13-2015, 01:25 PM
Kentucky is a "bad" matchup...anyone else we can match up with. For one game, I wouldn't be shocked if the Zags beat Kentucky.

LongIslandZagFan
03-13-2015, 01:38 PM
I'd say ND too... but I think GU's D beats their D.

Zagger
03-13-2015, 03:21 PM
Best match: Zags/UK in April

I hope the Zags are practicing freethrows and a host of passing/helping situations. I feel the team's shot % will win the day - as long as the loose ends of freethrows and silly fouls don't slow us down. Defense is OK. I liked how hard they made things for a very determined BYU team on Tuesday night.

Reborn
03-13-2015, 03:34 PM
I love the Bracket we're in now, but I'd like to see it moved to the West Region. I would love to play Duke in LA. I would would also like to play Oklahoma in LA. The one thing about many teams this year is that they play worse on the Road, especially in the Big 12. I love playing Big 12 teams, and Gonzaga has had good luck against them in the past. So Oklahoma St would be a great second round game. If Boise St upset Oklahoma I'd be fine with the Zags match-up against Boise St in the Sweet 16. And wouldn't it be nice if Wichita St upset Duke and we played Wichita St to go to the Final 4? For me that would be the ultimate matchup for the Zags. Talk about pay back time. Nice thread.

Or maybe even better would be to have BYU be an 11 seed and have them beat SMU and then beat Oklahoma, and we would play BYU to go to the Elite 8 where we would play Wichita St.

RenoZag
03-13-2015, 03:50 PM
I think Baylor would be a tough match-up; they are playing pretty well right now.

Would not want to see Georgetown or Nova in our bracket either.

The rest ? Bring it. I like our team and I like our coach.

As far as "cute" stories go:

What if the Zags have to play their games versus teams coached by men who have previously taken teams to the Elite 8 or Final Four ?
I can imagine the variations of the "been there, done that" storylines we would be subjected to.

It has been an incredible season. The ride isn't over yet.

SwainZag
03-13-2015, 09:32 PM
As for a certain team, I don't want to see Iowa St.

ZagaZags
03-13-2015, 10:14 PM
#2 seed Gonzaga vs #7 seed SDSU could be fun in the 2nd round. If SDSU was a 7 seed.

MJ777
03-13-2015, 11:51 PM
#2 seed Gonzaga vs #7 seed SDSU could be fun in the 2nd round. If SDSU was a 7 seed.

SDSU is crazy athletic and plays great D. On most nights they can't shoot straight. The have won like 140 something games in a row that they have led at the 5 minute mark.
http://www.utsandiego.com/news/2015/jan/17/aztecs-streak-basketball-continues/

MickMick
03-13-2015, 11:57 PM
Zags can deal with physicality. The WCC swallows the whistle. They can play rough and score while doing it.
Give me the slow big plodders. GU can "outplod" anyone.

Speed kills and in the end, it is speed that will be GU's demise.
I don't want any part of lightning quick guards. They will drive the lane and have Karno and Sabonis on the bench, with two fouls, and 10 minutes to go in the first half.

zagamatic
03-14-2015, 01:43 AM
The team that I don't want to see in the tournament is the version of the Zags where everyone just kinda waits to see what Pangos and Wiltjer are going to do. Or the version that doesn't move the ball with purpose, or when Karnowski and Sabonis pick up silly fouls.

The team I do want to see is the one where Pangos is having a blast finding open shooters, and Wesley and Dranginis are playing all out. The one where Bell remembers that his reward for great defense is the joy of drilling a 3 on the other end. And I really love the version that has Wiltjer just nailing every shot he takes while Karnowski and Sabonis make their opposing bigs just feel like things to be discarded while on their way to the hoop.

If we see the first version of the Zags, it'll be another quick exit. But if we're lucky enough to see the latter version, I really don't think it matters whose name is on the other jerseys because that Zags team is capable of beating anyone, anywhere, anytime.