PDA

View Full Version : Wednesday games

jazzdelmar
03-11-2015, 01:14 PM
ESPN has dutifully installed Shane Battier on the ACC tourney play by play. Not that he's earned it. Then again, how did Mumbles Williams earn the coveted anchor desk spot? Commonality? Then there's Bilas, who is very good, but still is there just one school that spits out analysts?

Speaking of that school, Koach K was on Pardon yesterday and both Tony and Mike hammered him on the rape thing. Not Koach's finest moment. His facial features and black hairline were even thinner than usual.

Of course selection Sunday is topped off by a 30 for 30 doc on a notorious former player. Sigh!

gu03alum
03-11-2015, 01:21 PM
I was just looking at the schedule today. I didn't see any games that interest me. Did I miss one that might be worth watching?

rennis
03-11-2015, 01:22 PM
Koach K was on Pardon yesterday and both Tony and Mike hammered him on the rape thing.

Rape Thing?

jazzdelmar
03-11-2015, 01:24 PM
I was just looking at the schedule today. I didn't see any games that interest me. Did I miss one that might be worth watching?

Lafayette v American. 430, CBS Sports.

seacatfan
Rape Thing?

Turns out that's why Rasheed Sulaimon was dismissed. Multiple allegations of rape against him.

jazzdelmar
Rape Thing?

Sulaimon, two allegations of rape.

gonzagafan62
03-11-2015, 01:39 PM
One game that is special to me tonight since I am from St. Louis:

St Louis vs Duquesne ---- The 11 vs. 14 matchup in the A-10.

6pm PT

siliconzag
03-11-2015, 01:41 PM
One interesting game is Creighton vs. DePaul tonight on FSN1. Winner plays Villanova. Creighton always plays Villanova tight. They are a streaky team and if they get hot they can hang with anybody. Ask Oklahoma. If Creighton beats DePaul that sets up a very nice upset possibility in MSG in the BET tomorrow. Admittedly a long shot, but if it happens, Villanova would endure what would be regarded as a "bad loss" and would drop out of 1 Seed Contention. They were defeated last year by Seton Hall. Could happen. Creighton has lost a dozen games by 1 or 2 points. They are frustrated. Zags would owe their Omaha Jesuit bretheren big time, but probably not enough to start up a series with them. Even if Jay Wright's boys go down, the Zags would need another favor: Wisconsin would need an early exit. (Even more unlikely). Of course the other scenario might be, Arizona 1 seed West, Gonzaga 2 seed west if the right upsets happen. Pray, boys, pray...

MJ777
03-11-2015, 01:42 PM
ESPN has dutifully installed Shane Battier on the ACC tourney play by play. Not that he's earned it. Then again, how did Mumbles Williams earn the coveted anchor desk spot? Commonality? Then there's Bilas, who is very good, but still is there just one school that spits out analysts?

Speaking of that school, Koach K was on Pardon yesterday and both Tony and Mike hammered him on the rape thing. Not Koach's finest moment. His facial features and black hairline were even thinner than usual.

Of course selection Sunday is topped off by a 30 for 30 doc on a notorious former player. Sigh!

You apparently Hate Christian Laettner and all Dookies Jazz. Ha Ha.

seacatfan
03-11-2015, 02:25 PM

As do all discerning college basketball fans. They are an easy group to dislike.

DixieZag
03-11-2015, 02:28 PM

Doesn't everyone?

seacatfan
03-11-2015, 02:30 PM
Doesn't everyone?

Unfortunately there is no accounting for taste and there are actually people who root for Duke. I don't know how these people can respect themselves though.

jazzdelmar
03-11-2015, 02:41 PM

Hate is a strong word. And I don't dislike the ex players, except Laettner for beating Ricky P and my man Jamal Mashburn and for inexplicably being named to the Dream Team over the likes of Isaiah and Reggie. No, what pisses me off is that espn is so in the tank for Dook they put am amateur like Jay Williams on the air year after year only because of his pedigree.

rennis
03-11-2015, 02:44 PM
Turns out that's why Rasheed Sulaimon was dismissed. Multiple allegations of rape against him.

Oh, bummer. Players...can't always blame the coach. I have no love for ShevShevSki, but I probably would have been uncomfortable in that scenario as well... unless he has something do with a coverup?

seacatfan
03-11-2015, 03:21 PM
Oh, bummer. Players...can't always blame the coach. I have no love for ShevShevSki, but I probably would have been uncomfortable in that scenario as well... unless he has something do with a coverup?

I haven't delved into it much, but it seems like there have been some questions about how the situation has been handled by the school. Not sure about Coach K's role in all of this.

jazzdelmar
03-11-2015, 06:56 PM
Lafayette wins.

75Zag
03-11-2015, 07:12 PM
Has Oregon State played yet? They were rising fast at the end of the Pac 12 season.

Go Bulldogs!

gonzagafan62
03-11-2015, 07:13 PM
Has Oregon State played yet? They were rising fast at the end of the Pac 12 season.

Go Bulldogs!

40-38 at half. Beavers by a bucket

seacatfan
03-11-2015, 07:25 PM

Go Bulldogs!

They actually faded down the stretch. They were one of the bigger surprises in the country this year but didn't finish well.

JPtheBeasta
03-11-2015, 08:07 PM
The Christian Laettner chest stomp was something that left an indelible mark in my mind during my burgeoning interest in college basketball.

VinnyZag
03-11-2015, 08:18 PM
Hate is a strong word. And I don't dislike the ex players, except Laettner for beating Ricky P and my man Jamal Mashburn and for inexplicably being named to the Dream Team over the likes of Isaiah and Reggie. No, what pisses me off is that espn is so in the tank for Dook they put am amateur like Jay Williams on the air year after year only because of his pedigree.

If I recall correctly, the idea was to add a college player as a sort of nod to the past, i.e. college players forming the Olympic team. So it wasn't Laettner vs. Isaiah Thomas, it was more like Laettner vs. Shaq for that last spot.

jazzdelmar
03-11-2015, 08:28 PM
If I recall correctly, the idea was to add a college player as a sort of nod to the past, i.e. college players forming the Olympic team. So it wasn't Laettner vs. Isaiah Thomas, it was more like Laettner vs. Shaq for that last spot.

Ok, I don't recall that but trust your memory. I saw the Dream Team here in a LaJolla hotel and recall seeing Magic Johnson and MJ walking towards me in the lobby. Magic towered over MJ. The best.

GoZags
03-11-2015, 08:51 PM
Ok, I don't recall that but trust your memory. I saw the Dream Team here in a LaJolla hotel and recall seeing Magic Johnson and MJ walking towards me in the lobby. Magic towered over MJ. The best.

That is correct (re ... having 1 college guy on the team).

I've posted this before .... that the best basketball ever played were the intersquad games during Team USA's camp in Monte Carlo during the 10 days before the Barcelona Olympics. I was fortunate to be there (Monte Carlo) at that time and bumped into quite a few of the guys. Then, my boss' boss' boss (Jazz, you know who I'm referring to) came in for a few days right before the Olympics and took me into a practice for about 20 minutes. A very, very cool experience.

jazzdelmar
03-11-2015, 09:13 PM

I've posted this before .... that the best basketball ever played were the intersquad games during Team USA's camp in Monte Carlo during the 10 days before the Barcelona Olympics. I was fortunate to be there (Monte Carlo) at that time and bumped into quite a few of the guys. Then, my boss' boss' boss (Jazz, you know who I'm referring to) came in for a few days right before the Olympics and took me into a practice for about 20 minutes. A very, very cool experience.

I do recall. My family was close to the Mullins and it was so exciting that in many practices and games Chris was one of the best if not best player out there. The most modest superstar you could ever meet. As curry Kirkpatrick famously described him in SI, "just a guy from da neighborhood."

http://www.si.com/vault/1984/11/26/655499/just-a-guy-from-da-naybuhhood

ZagaZags
03-11-2015, 10:39 PM
Stanford beats UW 71-69.

Bouldin4Prez
03-11-2015, 10:51 PM
Hate the Huskies but Nigel Williams-Goss is a heck of a basketball player. Too bad he will probably never see the tourney playing on UW.

DixieZag
03-11-2015, 10:51 PM
I do recall. My family was close to the Mullins and it was so exciting that in many practices and games Chris was one of the best if not best player out there. The most modest superstar you could ever meet. As curry Kirkpatrick famously described him in SI, "just a guy from da neighborhood."

http://www.si.com/vault/1984/11/26/655499/just-a-guy-from-da-naybuhhood

I saw him play the year St. John's went into the tournament as a No.1 seed and saw them play. . . Southern University (of all 16 seeds, how ironic), the game was in SLC. I thought he played "average" until afterwards when we realized he scored 21 pts - it was that effortless.

He also successfully beat his own demons and not only lived to tell about it but was forever thereafter better for it, as a guy most everyone liked.

kitzbuel
03-12-2015, 04:43 AM
BYU sure could have used a Virginia Tech win over Miami last night.

TexasZagFan
03-12-2015, 06:07 AM

Wow, I'm surprised the IRS never came after you...that had to be worth thousands in "imputed income." :lmao: