• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • the dood
    Bulldog Fan
    • Mar 2015

Savor this

I used to post here, deleted my user info (thanks LZIF), and don’t really intend on being a regular again. However, I’ve continued to read the boards daily throughout this historic season and I have a few observations/comments that I’d like to contribute.

First, as I said above, this has been a historic season. Sure, I was heartbroken at the BYU game in Spokane, but don’t let one game spoil the amazing journey this current group of Zags has taken us on.

Did the team “regress” a bit near the end of the season? Think of it this way, have you ever played a game (be it a video game, board game, card game, etc) where you’ve constantly dominated? After a while, what happens? You get bored. It often times is unintentional, but it’s natural. Winning is fun at first, but after winning and winning and winning you need a different mountain to climb. Unfortunately for our boys, they don’t get to just say “Ok, we’ve dominated in conference, so we’re moving on”. They have to complete the season, and then they get to climb the next mountain. Do I wish they could stay aggressive all season long without a hiccup or anything? Sure, but it’s not reasonable.

Think of years past, how much would you love to be winning the WCC tournament and having a 32-2 record? That’s a really big deal. Are they still a top 10 team in the country? Absolutely. Can they hang with pretty much anyone? You bet. Will they? I hope so.

We are spoiled. And that doesn’t mean we can’t have certain expectations based on performance, but don’t forget a) where we came from and b) how singular Gonzaga’s success story is. SMC tried to replicate what we’ve got, and they did a decent job for a few years. But this year? They’re wondering if they’ll even make the NIT.

I guess what I’m trying to say is that I’ve read a bunch of griping on this board lately (it’s actually becoming a bit of an epidemic the past few years) and this team is more deserving of your praise than just about any other team the Zags have ever fielded (at least up to this point). Can we nitpick? Sure. Should we? I honestly don’t have a problem with that. But let’s be a bit more measured in our approach, we know from Byron’s mother’s post (as well as Rob’s mom a few years ago) that parents of these KIDS do read what’s up here. As a parent, it would break my heart to see my son work so hard at something just to see the very fans he aims to please tear him down.

We’re looking straight at a 2 seed in a very deep tournament field and the end of an amazing era where our 2 senior guards have won more games and accolades than we might have imagined when they stepped on the court the first time four years ago. This is special. Savor it.

That’s all.
  • zagitup
    Kennel Club Material
    • Nov 2009

Originally posted by the dood View Post
    I used to post here, deleted my user info (thanks LZIF), and don’t really intend on being a regular again. However, I’ve continued to read the boards daily throughout this historic season and I have a few observations/comments that I’d like to contribute.

First, as I said above, this has been a historic season. Sure, I was heartbroken at the BYU game in Spokane, but don’t let one game spoil the amazing journey this current group of Zags has taken us on.

Did the team “regress” a bit near the end of the season? Think of it this way, have you ever played a game (be it a video game, board game, card game, etc) where you’ve constantly dominated? After a while, what happens? You get bored. It often times is unintentional, but it’s natural. Winning is fun at first, but after winning and winning and winning you need a different mountain to climb. Unfortunately for our boys, they don’t get to just say “Ok, we’ve dominated in conference, so we’re moving on”. They have to complete the season, and then they get to climb the next mountain. Do I wish they could stay aggressive all season long without a hiccup or anything? Sure, but it’s not reasonable.

Think of years past, how much would you love to be winning the WCC tournament and having a 32-2 record? That’s a really big deal. Are they still a top 10 team in the country? Absolutely. Can they hang with pretty much anyone? You bet. Will they? I hope so.

We are spoiled. And that doesn’t mean we can’t have certain expectations based on performance, but don’t forget a) where we came from and b) how singular Gonzaga’s success story is. SMC tried to replicate what we’ve got, and they did a decent job for a few years. But this year? They’re wondering if they’ll even make the NIT.

I guess what I’m trying to say is that I’ve read a bunch of griping on this board lately (it’s actually becoming a bit of an epidemic the past few years) and this team is more deserving of your praise than just about any other team the Zags have ever fielded (at least up to this point). Can we nitpick? Sure. Should we? I honestly don’t have a problem with that. But let’s be a bit more measured in our approach, we know from Byron’s mother’s post (as well as Rob’s mom a few years ago) that parents of these KIDS do read what’s up here. As a parent, it would break my heart to see my son work so hard at something just to see the very fans he aims to please tear him down.

We’re looking straight at a 2 seed in a very deep tournament field and the end of an amazing era where our 2 senior guards have won more games and accolades than we might have imagined when they stepped on the court the first time four years ago. This is special. Savor it.

That’s all.
    Dood...please don't be a stranger. Your participation and remarks are appreciated.

Comment

• MEZAG
      Kennel Club Material
      • Feb 2007

Bravo

Comment

• the dood
        Bulldog Fan
        • Mar 2015

Originally posted by zagitup View Post
        Dood...please don't be a stranger. Your participation and remarks are appreciated.
        Thanks, but I'll probably stay a silent observer for the most part.

Comment

• gonzagafan62
          Zag for Life
          • Nov 2013

Nice job dood. Great intellect and mastery of this post. Well said.
          Qualified for 25 Straight Big Dances

12 Straight Round of 32s

13 Sweet Sixteens (8 Straight)

6 Elite Eights

2017 AND 2021 FINAL FOUR

2 Winningest Players in college basketball history (Karnowski 137, Perkins 134)

2021 Undefeated Regular Season

The Best Point Guard to ever play the game: John Stockton, most assists, most steals.

Comment

Working...
          X