PDA

View Full Version : Halford

Martin Centre Mad Man
03-10-2015, 08:31 PM
I hope he's okay. Any word on the injury?

CdAZagFan
03-10-2015, 08:35 PM
Shades of Collinsworth tourney last year... Although that play was so needless. There were about 4-5 fouls before that happened that refs just swallowed the whistle. I'm glad it wasn't a Zag laying on the floor (I do hope Halford's okay)

8man
03-10-2015, 08:43 PM
Word is broken leg. Sucks.

raise the zag
03-10-2015, 08:45 PM
No.

Halford killed the Zags with his ninja-like 15 pts in Spokane.

Terrible loss.

He's a 48% 3pt shooter this season and around 60% in conference play.

Ugh.

BYU needs him to open the floor for KC & Haws.

basketballzag
03-10-2015, 08:48 PM
No.

Halford killed the Zags with his ninja-like 15 pts in Spokane.

Terrible loss.

He's a 48% 3pt shooter this season and around 60% in conference play.

Ugh.

BYU needs him to open the floor for KC & Haws.

He has a lower leg nerve contusion per Rose.

Zag4Hire
Word is broken leg. Sucks.

Rose just said in press conference it was lower leg nerve contusion. No idea what that is but doesn't sound like broken. I am sure MedZag will fill me in.

Good luck and hope Selection Sunday is courteous to a distinguished opponent.

Mr Vulture
That was my thought in regards to the injury..meaning broken leg. Regardless, I hope he recovers quickly from whatever it is. I still believe BYU belongs in the tournament and hope we see them called on Sunday!

ldszagfan
03-10-2015, 08:52 PM
http://i.imgur.com/M8LlaRO.jpg

It'd be too bad if BYU lost both Halford and Winder for the postseason (wherever they go). But yeah, I'm also glad it wasn't a Zag. Nobody needed to play like that with less than a minute to go.

raise the zag
03-10-2015, 08:53 PM
He has a lower leg knee contusion per Rose.

Yep, just heard the same.

Lower leg contusion, possible impacting a nerve.

They don't suspect anything broken/ankle/knee per report.

BYU insider just stated: "Skylar Halford in the locker room telling everyone he is ok according to KSL Radio."

That is great news!

basketballzag
03-10-2015, 08:54 PM
Rose just said in press conference it was lower leg nerve contusion. No idea what that is but doesn't sound like broken. I am sure MedZag will fill me in.

Good luck and hope Selection Sunday is courteous to a distinguished opponent.

It means he has a bruised knee.

Zagdawg
03-10-2015, 08:54 PM
Hope he heals up quickly.

8man
03-10-2015, 08:57 PM
So glad I was wrong about a broken leg!

TravelinZag
03-10-2015, 08:57 PM
Awful irony for Alford; just as Cougars' season looks to continue, his is over. Great competitor! Wish him a fast and complete recovery. It is a pleasure to watch his stroke from distance, even when it makes the Zags' job tougher.

FuManShoes
03-10-2015, 09:03 PM
He's a sniper. Pulling for the old man, er, kid. Seriously, how old is that guy?

CDC84
03-10-2015, 09:13 PM
Personally, I think Halford's emergence as a player in recent weeks is a huge part of the reason why BYU is even in the bubble discussion.

I have no idea if they are going to get in. Their resume isn't the best, but I agree with the ESPN guys.....they are playing like a NCAA tournament team right now, and I wouldn't want face them if I were a 6 seed or whatever.

CdAZagFan
03-10-2015, 09:34 PM
Personally, I think Halford's emergence as a player in recent weeks is a huge part of the reason why BYU is even in the bubble discussion.

I have no idea if they are going to get in. Their resume isn't the best, but I agree with the ESPN guys.....they are playing like a NCAA tournament team right now, and I wouldn't want face them if I were a 6 seed or whatever.

I agree... That is one reason I was a little concerned going into this game. BYU has a bunch of weapons besides Hawes and Collinsworth when Halford and Chase Fischer get going (and Kaufusi has been playing with a ton of confidence). Here's hoping they're all good to go into the NCAA tourney to do a little damage of their own.

jayray
03-10-2015, 09:41 PM
Ridiculous that players (and coaches) are risking injuries like this with 35 seconds left in a game that was clearly over. What a needless injury, especially when the committee considers injuries when looking at teams for at large bids.

MedZag
03-10-2015, 09:47 PM
Good I was hoping it was just a bad bone bruise. Hard to tell based on the replay but he was grabbing his tibia and it's pretty hard to break your tibia. Bone bruises can hurt like a mother.

Plainsman
03-10-2015, 10:10 PM
Ridiculous that players (and coaches) are risking injuries like this with 35 seconds left in a game that was clearly over. What a needless injury, especially when the committee considers injuries when looking at teams for at large bids.

This. Frankly I am tired of some teams in the WCC hacking, tackling, fouling in the last minute of a game they cannot possibly win. Sounds crass but I could care less what the injury is - it could easily have been one of our guys down there. You reap what you sow!

JPtheBeasta
03-10-2015, 10:27 PM
The mechanism of injury was a little weird for the severity, it seemed to me. I thought maybe a sprained ligament was the worst case scenario. I can't imaging breaking anything in that situation, unless the leg was already injured going in. I've never heard the exact phrase "nerve contusion" but if such is the case, he could wake up relatively fine tomorrow or the leg could be useless for a while. At least if they make the NCAA tournament he will have a week to get better.

He's a twitchy guy on the court, but he shoots the lights out, and he's fearless. I admire him as much as a dislike him. Get better soon, Halford.

Robzagnut
03-10-2015, 10:33 PM
This. Frankly I am tired of some teams in the WCC hacking, tackling, fouling in the last minute of a game they cannot possibly win. Sounds crass but I could care less what the injury is - it could easily have been one of our guys down there. You reap what you sow!

Stay classy. It's not easy for highly competitive athletes to suddenly turn off the switch. They fight until the very end. We all knew it was going to be a dog fight for the full 40 minutes.

caduceus
03-10-2015, 10:35 PM
Yeah, depends on the severity. Some heal in a week. Others take two or three. I once had a peripheral spinal nerve injury from getting kicked while playing goalkeeper (soccer) during med school that took me two weeks before I could get out of bed.

Get well, Skyler. Pretty sure you guys are in the dance.

JPtheBeasta
03-10-2015, 10:38 PM
Yeah, depends on the severity. Some heal in a week. Others take two or three. I once had a peripheral spinal nerve injury from getting kicked while playing goalkeeper (soccer) during med school that took me two weeks before I could get out of bed.

Get well, Skyler. Pretty sure you guys are in the dance.

Yikes. The magic spray didn't work? :)

You must have gotten kicked pretty good. As an aside, did you body slam the guy like that pro did recently?

CdAZagFan
03-10-2015, 10:43 PM

I blame the refs more than I blame the competitors. That play should have been stopped after the first tackle was made...

RenoZag
03-10-2015, 11:01 PM
Sorry he got hurt but he's no angel.

Plays as dirty as Kafusi and the rest of them.

caduceus
03-10-2015, 11:10 PM
Yikes. The magic spray didn't work? :)

You must have gotten kicked pretty good. As an aside, did you body slam the guy like that pro did recently?

Nah. Made a save and rolled over the ball. The other guy thought he had a chance to make a shot, and kicked me in the back instead of the ball. I barely made it off the field, and was in the ER about 10 minutes later. Basically bruised a nerve that runs around your lower waist. Lying in bed was fine, but I couldn't stand for a couple of weeks. Bad memories. Had a smoking hot girlfriend at the time (a model who drove over from Spokane) -- she took good care of me. Maybe not so bad memories.

scott257
03-10-2015, 11:14 PM
I was not immediately sympathetic when he went down and I verbalized a comment that I immediately regretted. I don't like seeing anyone get hurt, it is never good. I also think that they take quite a few cheap shots where we were fortunate to have escaped injuries. That one foul against Sabonis is just one example from tonight's game. Mark Few's comment about our kids winning the "right way" could be pointed at BYU and their tendency to take cheap shots. They do it every time we play them, and we are not always going to escape without a serious injury because of it.

Mantua
03-10-2015, 11:17 PM
I was not immediately sympathetic when he went down and I verbalized a comment that I immediately regretted. I don't like seeing anyone get hurt, it is never good. I also think that they take quite a few cheap shots where we were fortunate to have escaped injuries. That one foul against Sabonis is just one example from tonight's game. Mark Few's comment about our kids winning the "right way" could be pointed at BYU and their tendency to take cheap shots. They do it every time we play them, and we are not always going to escape without a serious injury because of it.

That was my reaction including the momentary talons coming out.

Robzagnut
03-10-2015, 11:43 PM

After the under cut of Sabonis I had to explain to my two boys that that is the dirtiest, cheapest foul in basketball. They asked why? And when they showed the replay I explained to them because when you get your feet purposely taken out from under you, you will always land hard onto the court.

JPtheBeasta
03-11-2015, 06:44 AM
Nah. Made a save and rolled over the ball. The other guy thought he had a chance to make a shot, and kicked me in the back instead of the ball. I barely made it off the field, and was in the ER about 10 minutes later. Basically bruised a nerve that runs around your lower waist. Lying in bed was fine, but I couldn't stand for a couple of weeks. Bad memories. Had a smoking hot girlfriend at the time (a model who drove over from Spokane) -- she took good care of me. Maybe not so bad memories.

Sounds like a scary time. At least you had a good nurse.

rennis
03-11-2015, 09:28 AM
Glad he is going to be okay. He really kept Kevin off the scoreboard last night for much of the game. Heckuva competitor, even if he's a bit too handsy for my liking.

rennis
03-11-2015, 09:30 AM
After the under cut of Sabonis I had to explain to my two boys that that is the dirtiest, cheapest foul in basketball. They asked why? And when they showed the replay I explained to them because when you get your feet purposely taken out from under you, you will always land hard onto the court.

I was livid when Sabonis got undercut. That is a dangerous foul, and I think it should be reviewable on the monitors for a flagrant 1.

JPtheBeasta
03-11-2015, 09:35 AM
I was livid when Sabonis got undercut. That is a dangerous foul, and I think it should be reviewable on the monitors for a flagrant 1.

I tend to think that defending someone with your derrière while he is in the air is NOT a basketball play. There is way more potential for injury than some of those elbows they call flagrants. It is worthy of a rule change.

Those ad hoc floor decals gotta go, as well.

WBM
03-11-2015, 09:39 AM

Yeah, and the announcers had commented just a couple minutes before about how BYU always plays hard to the final buzzer.

sage
03-11-2015, 09:42 AM
I noticed Haws slip on the center decal too. They DO need to go. There's no reason a kid should be injured because of ads making the floor slippery.

spike_jr
03-11-2015, 09:48 AM
I think this is part of a bigger problem that needs to be addressed by the NCAA rules committee. Why do refs allow a loose ball to be treated like a fumble in football? They allow players to dive through, hack, grab, etc. other players to get to the ball, which is a foul. They also allow players to dive on the ball and slide 5 feet which is traveling. I believe they need to make a point of emphasis on both calling fouls and traveling and try to get the "scrum" out of basketball.

zagamatic
03-11-2015, 12:06 PM
I think this is part of a bigger problem that needs to be addressed by the NCAA rules committee. Why do refs allow a loose ball to be treated like a fumble in football? They allow players to dive through, hack, grab, etc. other players to get to the ball, which is a foul. They also allow players to dive on the ball and slide 5 feet which is traveling. I believe they need to make a point of emphasis on both calling fouls and traveling and try to get the "scrum" out of basketball.

I totally agree that more control needs to be taken by the officials in regards to loose ball scrums. However, those are the plays that help keep the casual fan engaged and entertained. And since it can be argued that the NCAA values ratings and income as much or more than player safety, I just don't see this changing much unless it's going to cost them money. For example, a player that is injured as a result files and wins a lawsuit, or some horrific injury on live tv during the tournament,etc.

zagmantis2001
03-11-2015, 12:39 PM
I noticed Haws slip on the center decal too. They DO need to go. There's no reason a kid should be injured because of ads making the floor slippery.

The decals are a constant problem. I believe that the decal Kyle slipped on in the first game outside of the key had been removed by the next game.

siliconzag
03-11-2015, 12:56 PM
Good I was hoping it was just a bad bone bruise. Hard to tell based on the replay but he was grabbing his tibia and it's pretty hard to break your tibia. Bone bruises can hurt like a mother.

Not only are they invariably quite painful, they can take time. Unfortunately the lymph flow and blood flow in the lower leg is notoriously bad, and depending on the location of the contusion (anterior is bad), they can take a long time to resolve. I wouldn't necessarily consider this a benign injury. Hopefully he will be attended to by a sports med physician at University of Utah (a really good medical center). I suspect they will be doing non invasive therapies to induce resorption of the contusion. Since it is a compression injury if is best handled by promoting rapid resorption before too much inflammation occurs. I really feel badly for this kid. There but for the grace of the Lord, almost went we, with Kyle. Both injuries are extremely peculiar. Hope his injury heals as quickly as Kyle's did.

Soli

jim77
03-11-2015, 06:18 PM
The decals are a constant problem. I believe that the decal Kyle slipped on in the first game outside of the key had been removed by the next game.

They did remove the decals before last night's game....they needed to take the one at center court as well.

Hope Halford gets better soon....cause I'd be real surprised if they get snubbed. I could see them going deep...I could see BOTH teams going deep. I'd like to see some Wcc respect. Byu has some serious scorers...really hope i hear their named called Sunday. Collinsworth/Haws is one dynamic duo...and Fischer/Halford aren't too shabby either.

GonzagasaurusFlex
03-12-2015, 06:58 AM
They did remove the decals before last night's game....they needed to take the one at center court as well.

Hope Halford gets better soon....cause I'd be real surprised if they get snubbed. I could see them going deep...I could see BOTH teams going deep. I'd like to see some Wcc respect. Byu has some serious scorers...really hope i hear their named called Sunday. Collinsworth/Haws is one dynamic duo...and Fischer/Halford aren't too shabby either.

Hoping for the best for Halford and BYU too at this point. Their pace of play will be tough for teams to prepare for and Hawes/Collinsworth deserve the national stage and more recognition.

willandi
03-12-2015, 07:44 AM
This is not directly related to Halford, but is aimed at the Refs and at what was allowed.

If a team has 5 seconds to inbound the ball, and the count starts when the ball is handed to the inbounder by the ref, how can they allow the ball to be rolled up court, in one case past half court, w/o invoking the 5 second rule? They don't start the game clock until the ball is touched by an player in the court of play, so clearly the time to inbound should be counting.

Hoopaholic
03-12-2015, 10:32 AM
This is not directly related to Halford, but is aimed at the Refs and at what was allowed.

If a team has 5 seconds to inbound the ball, and the count starts when the ball is handed to the inbounder by the ref, how can they allow the ball to be rolled up court, in one case past half court, w/o invoking the 5 second rule? They don't start the game clock until the ball is touched by an player in the court of play, so clearly the time to inbound should be counting.

have 5 seconds to release the ball and have it touch the court. However, the ten second count should still be occurring
clock does not start until ball is touched.

ball is not required to be physically touched by a player on inbound to cancel the 5 second rule, ball merely has to touch the playing surface to stop the 5 second rule

confusion that some get is when inbounder passes the ball and it is in the air when whistle blows...that is a 5 second violation since it neither touched player nor the court before 5 seconds lapsed

willandi
03-12-2015, 11:36 AM
Thanks. I wasn't aware the rule read that way.

Vanzagger
03-12-2015, 12:38 PM
My buddy says he was walking fine at the airport.

That was a physical game. I understand BYU playing hard but at some point do you have to take matters into your own hands? They were launching into us.

Sweet Lou would say you hit one of my guys we hit 2 of yours. Shaq Finally had enough and started to slam back. Sort of barbaric but at some point it might be time to protect your own.

ZagsGoZags
03-12-2015, 01:10 PM

If Big Business wants to advertise that bad with decals let them fund the technology to find a way for decals to have the same surface characteristics as the rest of the floor. Players safety over corporate profits any day in my book.