PDA

View Full Version : Best Played Game of the Year?

DixieZag
03-10-2015, 08:22 PM
It can be argued.

BYU played insanely well.

And we never let them back into the game - got within 3 a couple of times.

Mentally tough, never let their slap happy opponents get their anger up.

Amazing effort.

Arguably the best of the year, wonderful sign to go into the NCAAs

Ekrub
03-10-2015, 08:23 PM
It was zag basketball. I've been belly aching the past few games. Not tonight, that was fantastic

surfmonkey89
03-10-2015, 08:24 PM
I think so. All told, we played three games in four days, against three extremely different looks, and won all three. The last two in dominating fashion.

That's pretty impressive.

bballbeachbum
03-10-2015, 08:24 PM
idk but they played darn well, and responded to the challenge BYU put down in Spokane

Zag4Hire
03-10-2015, 08:25 PM
Easy question for me. Yes.

GUDan07
03-10-2015, 08:25 PM
Not sure about best game of the year, but definitely the best in the past couple of months. No complaints about the play of any of the players and the game plan was solid. Definitely feel MUCH better about this team heading into the tournament than I have for the past few months.

TacomaZAG
03-10-2015, 08:29 PM
One simple, but critical difference between tonight and the game in the kennel...................

In the kennel, for some unknown reason we matched up with them in the 4-guard lineup, and tonight we made them match up with us and they couldn't. Either that, or the fact that I wore my Pendo jersey tonight and not the other night.............

Game over.

Great energy, great effort, the swagger is back!!!!!!

Go ZAGS

drnoe
They flat-out got it done. Drano had a great tourney & was a rock tonight. BYU deserves an 8 or 9 seed... they will give teams hell in the dance.

seacatfan
Not sure about best game of the year, but definitely the best in the past couple of months. No complaints about the play of any of the players and the game plan was solid. Definitely feel MUCH better about this team heading into the tournament than I have for the past few months.

Exactly. I think if I watched the SMU game again, that might've been the best game of the year. But yes, tonight was the overall best game in a long time and a very good sign heading into the Tourney.

spike_jr
03-10-2015, 08:31 PM
If you go to the link to KEYF found posted early in the game thread - post #4 by ZagNative, Hudson and Santangelo are about to start the post game discussion,

caduceus
03-10-2015, 08:31 PM
That was one of the most intense and fun games I've watched in a good while. I hope it bodes well for our team in THE tourney.

krozman
03-10-2015, 08:32 PM
it was Gonzaga finally playing THEIR game.

CDC84
03-10-2015, 08:33 PM
I don't know, but this was the best team performance since the win at BYU in late December. It's a good way to enter the NCAA's.

GeorgiaZagFan
03-10-2015, 08:33 PM
...this was the way other potential final four teams would have taken care of business. This Zags team is so deep and so versatile. I am excited for the NCAA tournament and hope for the #2 seed in the west.

Bocco
03-10-2015, 08:34 PM
One simple, but critical difference between tonight and the game in the kennel...................

In the kennel, for some unknown reason we matched up with them in the 4-guard lineup, and tonight we made them match up with us and they couldn't. Either that, or the fact that I wore my Pendo jersey tonight and not the other night.............

Game over.

Great energy, great effort, the swagger is back!!!!!!

Go ZAGS
Zags let BYU dictate how the game was played in the Kennel. Tonite we forced BYU to play our game, and they had no answer for our bigs other than foul.

And to answer the opening question yes this was the Zags best played game this year.

CdAZagFan
03-10-2015, 08:37 PM
Good question... I think it probably was the most complete game (and just the fact that everyone really contributed). Really solid game!

tyra
03-10-2015, 08:38 PM
I also loved it when one of the announcers said he had talked to every player on our roster who admitted BYU won in Spokane because they wanted it more. Tonight, GU wanted it badly! Great game team!

IdahoTJR
03-10-2015, 08:39 PM
6 players scoring in double figures, great team effort.

raise the zag
03-10-2015, 09:03 PM
Playing great at the right time.

TravelinZag
03-10-2015, 09:07 PM
At least as good as SMU and the first 38 minutes vs Arizona. Had to be frustrating for BYU; they played well enough to win most games,

gonzagafan62
03-10-2015, 09:09 PM
Best game played since Loyola Marymount at home? Sure best game played all year? Not quite. It's was a great effort. A great game and fun one to watch. So happy for our guys. They deserved to win ... And BYU deserves to go dancing

Birddog
03-10-2015, 09:15 PM
Not sure if it was best game, maybe tied with the best, but most points scored on BYU since they lost to SDSU (92) in late NOV.

Baseline
03-10-2015, 09:19 PM
a 40 minute effort, my faith is restored they can do it. With this effort I now believe we can play well in the tournament.

Any on watching on TV should realize BYU is a very competitive team and the WCC is not a push over.

VinnyZag
03-10-2015, 09:22 PM
At Arizona and at BYU were really good, considering the circumstances. Home against SMU was really good, home against St. Joes was awesome. But St. Joes is terrible. This might be the best game. It's up there.

Birddog
03-10-2015, 09:26 PM
At Arizona and at BYU were really good, considering the circumstances. Home against SMU was really good, home against St. Joes was awesome. But St. Joes is terrible. This might be the best game. It's up there.

I thought the game against SMU might be one of the best but that was sooooo long ago.

Oregonzagnut
03-10-2015, 09:33 PM
I questioned the intensity of the guys in Spokane. It seemed as though the team thought for sure (as I did too) that we would pull it out in the end. Maybe I am projecting my feelings but our play tonight compared to our play during the BYU loss was noticeably different. We didn't step on their necks and we didn't play as scrappy as they di in Spokane but tonight we out scrapped them..

I think that scrappiness will be a huge key for us in the tournament.

Scrappness with BYU means you fight fire with fire. It seems Rose throws "goon-strategy" at our bigs. Of course some would call that "physical" play. Kafusi and Worthington had 8 fouls and 2 pts total.

surfmonkey89
03-10-2015, 09:45 PM
Was this Gary's best ever game?

ZAG 4 LIFE
03-10-2015, 10:28 PM
I was part of the GU coaching staff back in the 80's, and I've missed watching very few
Zag games since then. I was at the Orleans arena tonight, and I can state without
hesitation... that was as hard as I've seen a Zag team play in a very long time. Really a
fabulous effort by everyone tonight... great intensity for 40 minutes. And as physical as
this game was, only 6 turnovers. Very impressed!

NumberCruncher
03-10-2015, 10:30 PM
Heard it was good. Can't wait to get home from Vegas tomorrow so I can watch it.

zagamatic
03-11-2015, 01:07 AM
I think that for me, it was the best game (and really, 3 game stretch) of officiating I've seen this year. Were there some missed calls,yes. But there always is. This tournament to me really let the guys play HARD instead of having to hold back a little because of ridiculous touch fouls. And if the Zags do indeed go a long way in March / April, I think that the fact that they got to let it hang out and have some intense but fair games will be a contributing factor for sure. I haven't seen that kind of fun mixed with focus from a Zags squad this time of year in a really long time! This tournament had a summer league feel to it for me instead of feeling like a business trip that they better not screw up.
And so, for that I have to say thank you to the officiating crew. Which is really nice change compared to what I usually have to say about the officials :-)

rawkmandale
03-11-2015, 02:38 AM
I was part of the GU coaching staff back in the 80's, and I've missed watching very few
Zag games since then. I was at the Orleans arena tonight, and I can state without
hesitation... that was as hard as I've seen a Zag team play in a very long time. Really a
fabulous effort by everyone tonight... great intensity for 40 minutes. And as physical as

Thank you for this report and for your observations

rawkmandale
03-11-2015, 02:39 AM
I think that for me, it was the best game (and really, 3 game stretch) of officiating I've seen this year. Were there some missed calls,yes. But there always is. This tournament to me really let the guys play HARD instead of having to hold back a little because of ridiculous touch fouls. And if the Zags do indeed go a long way in March / April, I think that the fact that they got to let it hang out and have some intense but fair games will be a contributing factor for sure. I haven't seen that kind of fun mixed with focus from a Zags squad this time of year in a really long time! This tournament had a summer league feel to it for me instead of feeling like a business trip that they better not screw up.
And so, for that I have to say thank you to the officiating crew. Which is really nice change compared to what I usually have to say about the officials :-)

I agree - the officiating was stellar

jazzdelmar
03-11-2015, 05:24 AM
Best, schmest. No reason this team shouldn't play like this all the time, given its great depth. Wes was off, boom here comes KD. Foul trouble, enter Nunez. But among better games, yes. Stillllllll, I would really prefer to see KP get more seriously involved a whole lot earlier in the NCs. Like out of the box.

CarolinaZagFan
03-11-2015, 05:58 AM
When Pangos plays like that the Zags are tough to beat. When does Kafusi graduate? My 7 year old niece has more natural basketball ability than that hack. I couldn't play against him, we'd be brawling for sure.

kitzbuel
03-11-2015, 06:19 AM
I questioned the intensity of the guys in Spokane. It seemed as though the team thought for sure (as I did too) that we would pull it out in the end. Maybe I am projecting my feelings but our play tonight compared to our play during the BYU loss was noticeably different. We didn't step on their necks and we didn't play as scrappy as they di in Spokane but tonight we out scrapped them..

I think that scrappiness will be a huge key for us in the tournament.

Scrappness with BYU means you fight fire with fire. It seems Rose throws "goon-strategy" at our bigs. Of course some would call that "physical" play. Kafusi and Worthington had 8 fouls and 2 pts total.

Few banked on them using their goon-strategy and it paid off last night. The second half focus on getting the ball to Karno in deep and putting hack-prone BYU bigs in a position where their only option was to hack or let Shem have an easy hoop was a great strategy. That was definitely an instance where I have seen Few implement a clear, decisive in-game adjustment to which our opponent couldn't readily respond.

Zaga
03-11-2015, 06:32 AM

Given that the Championship was on the line...............Hell yeah!

scrooner
03-11-2015, 07:00 AM
Either that, or the fact that I wore my Pendo jersey tonight and not the other night.............

WEIRD, so did I. Put on the #25 jersey for tonight, extra special.

titopoet
03-11-2015, 07:08 AM

Nah, wait about three weeks.

Zagger
03-11-2015, 07:31 AM
Nah, wait about three weeks.

Ha! :) Good one!
Last night's game was the fastest performance I've seen from the team this year. They really beat feet down the floor and against a team that made them look slow in Spokane. Got to be at the game and WOW I'm still buzzing! Lots of Zag fans on this early AM flight to Seattle and each are glowing. We can't help but talk about the game. Special night last night for sure. One of my favorite Zags games ever! Can't wait to watch my recording of it when we get home!
http://www.fowlplaces.com/zags/gozagstinysignguyglassescolor.png

TacomaZAG
03-11-2015, 08:28 AM
WEIRD, so did I. Put on the #25 jersey for tonight, extra special.

Scrooner, that is WEIRD...................I usually don't haul it out until the Dance (don't want to use up all the mojo), but wore it last night just to make sure. I'm going to wear it on Selection Sunday to make sure we get the appropriate seed and bracket.

Go ZAGS

seacatfan
03-11-2015, 10:11 AM

It was definitely good. He scored 18 in the first half against St. Joe's earlier this year, he couldn't miss. He was pretty darn good in the Tourney game against Ohio St. his freshman year. I'd say among his best, but he's had better.

Zagceo
03-11-2015, 10:40 AM

Agree.

6 players in double figures and player after player making play after play with great intensity for 40 min.

The Best Zag Game on National stage I've ever seen.

cjm720
03-11-2015, 11:51 AM
The first few minutes that highlighted the all too frequent, tentative ball movement and the "no you shoot" process was excruciating. Then they sped up the pace of play and it was a fun, beautiful game to watch. Great win.

zag67
03-11-2015, 02:21 PM
Yes this was probably Gary Bell's best game (so far). Yes he will have his best ever in 3 weeks.