PDA

View Full Version : Is a #3 Seed in the West (Seattle & LA) Not the Best That Could Happen for the Zags -

TravelinZag
03-10-2015, 08:16 AM
-- in the wacky world of NCAA seeding? What would be the disadvantages? Beginning w/ the #14 instead of the #13? Having to beat both the #2 and #1 seed in the region?

The committee, which is committed to geography, can raise/drop a team to achieve it. Can they drop only a spot, or can they drop a line? If the Zags are an 8 on the "S-curve", does it make a difference? Seriously, once a #1 seed became virtually unattainable, what is the best route for the Zags? It cannot possibly be the South Region.

Now, the tougher question. If you agree with the desirability of #3 in the West region, what do the Zags have to do to get it. Given the reported "drop-off between the #2 and #3 lines," would a narrow win over BYU coupled with a conference tournament final appearance or win by a projected 9-12 S-curve team be enough?

Or is the seeding so ridiculous that the Zags could only drop to a #3 in the West by failing upwards and losing tonight? Too high a price for me, but it may be what the NCAA will require. Of course, they might just as (il)logically respond to such an occurrence by dropping a 3-loss, regular-season champion with a high BPI/RPI to a four-seed or lower. They've done worse for others, and for us too.

Frustration aside, how do the Zags stay in the West, which now seems way more important than seed number? Or is it? This is a great team, and I love these guys. Can GU not get a break in the seeding? How?:confused:

ValencyLovesZagsInAtlanta
03-10-2015, 08:38 AM
I would be shocked if the committee ever placed us as a #3 seed in the West. There are to many solid teams fighting for the #1 line. The lowest rated #1 seed will go out west in my opinion. Zona could still get the 1 seed in the west but then Nova or some other team would snatch the 2 seed from us unless they lose in the first round of the BET. You have to think there is a ferocious fight going on now for all 2 seed positioning. We look like the odd team out right now as it relates to geographic location for the regional semi-finals (S16). A LOT will have to break our way to prevent us traveling into very very very very hostile territory. I thought Nova may fade a bit down the stretch but they are peaking. Wisky is rolling ect...We need to be the highest rated 2 seed I think to stay out west. They won't put Wisky in Kentucky's region. It very well could be us unless we decide to fight it (ok stop laughing at me). It all is kinda confusing to be honest. Being in the West really is our ticket to INDY. Otherwise E8 may be the ceiling if everything falls right. BIG SIGH!!!!!!! A loss tonight I think drops us to a 3 seed but not in the West. That would be sweet though wouldn't it?!!!!! :) 1) Nova 2) Zona 3) Zags...with a lil bracket magic that could open up...nicely!

What do you guys think??? I am kinda winging it here.

Kong-Kool-Aid
03-10-2015, 09:05 AM
I would be shocked if the committee ever placed us as a #3 seed in the West. There are to many solid teams fighting for the #1 line. The lowest rated #1 seed will go out west in my opinion. Zona could still get the 1 seed in the west but then Nova or some other team would snatch the 2 seed from us unless they lose in the first round of the BET. You have to think there is a ferocious fight going on now for all 2 seed positioning. We look like the odd team out right now as it relates to geographic location for the regional semi-finals (S16). A LOT will have to break our way to prevent us traveling into very very very very hostile territory. I thought Nova may fade a bit down the stretch but they are peaking. Wisky is rolling ect...We need to be the highest rated 2 seed I think to stay out west. They won't put Wisky in Kentucky's region. It very well could be us unless we decide to fight it (ok stop laughing at me). It all is kinda confusing to be honest. Being in the West really is our ticket to INDY. Otherwise E8 may be the ceiling if everything falls right. BIG SIGH!!!!!!! A loss tonight I think drops us to a 3 seed but not in the West. That would be sweet though wouldn't it?!!!!! :) 1) Nova 2) Zona 3) Zags...with a lil bracket magic that could open up...nicely!

What do you guys think??? I am kinda winging it here.

I disagree, Geography matters... especially for the protected seeds.

The ONLY reason we get shipped out of the west as a 2 seed is because Arizona is rated ahead of us and gets the #2 in the west. The committee wants to avoid sending a team far from home unless it absolutely has to.

We are actually benefitting from having relatively few teams from the west believe it or not.

Our best case scenario is having Arizona a) Move up to a one seed, while we remain as a 2 (virutually guaranteeing us the west) or Arizona dropping an early game in the Pac 12 tournament and dropping below us.

We are at our ceiling now, I can't see anyway we will get a 1.
And no way do we want to drop another one to BYU, that will mean we could be anywhere... anywhere... with a 3 or maybe even a 4 seed.

LongIslandZagFan
03-10-2015, 09:13 AM
Lose tonight and the boys will be a 3 seed. BYU should be in no matter what IMHO and Lord help the higher seed that gets them early.

LongIslandZagFan
03-10-2015, 09:20 AM
Lose tonight and the boys will be a 3 seed. BYU should be in no matter what IMHO and Lord help the higher seed that gets them early.

http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/bracketology

Hoosiers and Mountaineers could get smoked with this bracket. Not sure about the Cards though... but BYU would have a punchers chance. Also, I think the Zags would do well with that bracket as well.

Zags11
03-10-2015, 09:21 AM
If zags win, they will be 2 seed in seattle. I think a loss and 3 seed but idk where.

Zagceo
03-10-2015, 09:27 AM

Agree and if you look at the current bracket with Okla 21-9 and 15th in AP as a 3 seed in the West we would be a stronger 3 seed to stay in the West.

I'd rather beat BYU and AZ move to No.1 seed with us taking 2 in west

thegloriousgoateeofKP
03-10-2015, 09:30 AM
Posed this idea in a different thread, but I'll say it again:

L.A. is a plane ride away from Spokane. So is Houston. So is Cleveland. So is there honestly any difference as far as travel? Is a plane ticket to LA CONSIDERABLY cheaper than one to Houston? My guess is it would depend on the airline and when you happen to book the flight.

So I don't think it matters, LA or Houston or Syracuse (don't want Cleveland because that's where Kentucky will be). If the regional were in, say, San Jose, GU fans conceivably could drive there. But no one's driving 19 hours from Spokane to LA.

Zagceo
03-10-2015, 09:33 AM
Posed this idea in a different thread, but I'll say it again:

L.A. is a plane ride away from Spokane. So is Houston. So is Cleveland. So is there honestly any difference as far as travel? Is a plane ticket to LA CONSIDERABLY cheaper than one to Houston? My guess is it would depend on the airline and when you happen to book the flight.

So I don't think it matters, LA or Houston or Syracuse (don't want Cleveland because that's where Kentucky will be). If the regional were in, say, San Jose, GU fans conceivably could drive there. But no one's driving 19 hours from Spokane to LA.

Did you see or hear about how many Zag fans showed up to the LMU game in LA?

Zags have good support in California and team has a familiarity with hotels and practice facilities and don't forget our friends at Pepperdine are the host at Staples.

thegloriousgoateeofKP
03-10-2015, 09:40 AM
Did you see or hear about how many Zag fans showed up to the LMU game in LA?

Zags have good support in California and team has a familiarity with hotels and practice facilities and don't forget our friends at Pepperdine are the host at Staples.

Yeeeeah, I suppose that's a good point. But a certain number of people will follow the team wherever they go. And there's bound to be at least a small community of Zags in Houston/Syracuse.

And in an arena of 20,000, I don't think the atmosphere will be noticeably different in LA vs. Syracuse/other sites. The Kennel Club won't be bussing students to any of them, I'd imagine.

So, you make a good argument, but I think being in LA is only a tiny, tiny, tiny advantage. Not worth fretting over.

Zagceo
03-10-2015, 10:00 AM
Yeeeeah, I suppose that's a good point. But a certain number of people will follow the team wherever they go. And there's bound to be at least a small community of Zags in Houston/Syracuse.

And in an arena of 20,000, I don't think the atmosphere will be noticeably different in LA vs. Syracuse/other sites. The Kennel Club won't be bussing students to any of them, I'd imagine.

So, you make a good argument, but I think being in LA is only a tiny, tiny, tiny advantage. Not worth fretting over.

Says the man living in Mo to the man living in LA with tickets to Staples ;)

Mojo13
03-10-2015, 10:01 AM
Lots of people from the Pacific NW here in Socal. There will be better support here for the Zags than probably anywhere East of the Rockies. When I sport my 00 Zags jersey down at the beach, I get loads of nods and shout outs. Some stranger (alumni) knocked on my door to introduce himself the other day as he was walking by and saw the Zags gameday flag flying.

I, for one, have my E8/S16 tickets and picked them up through Pepperdine. Besides my own personal desire to see them live, I really do think Staples will be a friendly enviroment and to the teams advantage. Until they play Arizona of course.

TravelinZag
03-10-2015, 10:23 AM
Didn't have the, pardon the expression, mojo, to try that. Was afraid I'd eat the hotel cost, lose most of the airfare, and scramble to recover the cost of the tickets (minus haircut & commission) once the committee made its assignments. Did some of that two years ago with the FF, when I drank the kool-aid and thought the Zags would be there. Still not over that, but hats off to the mid-major that stopped us. Not bitter, just disappointed and poorer! Good luck, and congrats on your guts!

gueastcoast
03-10-2015, 10:39 AM
As a GU alum stranded in the eastern time zone after the tide went out, believe me that LA is an advantage over any other region.

I have been to GU games in New York, Boston and other points east and the level of fan support in LA will be an order of magnitude greater in SoCal than anywhere east of the Rockies.

Not to mention time zones...while there will perhaps be time to acclimate to the regional site, every little advantage helps!

SwainZag
03-10-2015, 10:46 AM
If zags win, they will be 2 seed in seattle. I think a loss and 3 seed but idk where.

Even with a loss they will be playing in Seattle, I really so no situation where they wouldn't be at this point.

Mojo13
03-10-2015, 10:48 AM
Didn't have the, pardon the expression, mojo, to try that. Was afraid I'd eat the hotel cost, lose most of the airfare, and scramble to recover the cost of the tickets (minus haircut & commission) once the committee made its assignments. Did some of that two years ago with the FF, when I drank the kool-aid and thought the Zags would be there. Still not over that, but hats off to the mid-major that stopped us. Not bitter, just disappointed and poorer! Good luck, and congrats on your guts!

No guts needed here. I live in LA...I am going regardless. Just really, really, want to have the Zags in the West. It would make the experience just so much better.

webspinnre
03-10-2015, 10:52 AM
The important part is playing the first two rounds in Seattle (or Portland). LA would be a huge plus, there really would be more fans of our s there, which helps, but as long as we're in Seattle, I'll take whatever comes next. Avoiding Kentucky's region would be nice, but then again, we wouldn't be facing them until the Elite 8 anyway.

Zagceo
03-10-2015, 11:08 AM
7 out of 10 teams in the West Coast Conference reside in California (zags very familiar traveling South) and I would guess California has one of the largest number of Zag alumni amongst its 39 million.

How many of our players let alone Coaches have been to Houston, Cleveland? Syracuse yes

Maybe the Zag staff would say Houston, Cleveland, Syracuse or Los Angeles really doesn't matter to us.

Zag fans saying it doesn't matter after Seattle because they'll be sitting on the same couch in front of the same TV don't see it from the players perspective IMO.

MJ777
03-10-2015, 01:28 PM
Lots of people from the Pacific NW here in Socal. There will be better support here for the Zags than probably anywhere East of the Rockies. When I sport my 00 Zags jersey down at the beach, I get loads of nods and shout outs. Some stranger (alumni) knocked on my door to introduce himself the other day as he was walking by and saw the Zags gameday flag flying.

I, for one, have my E8/S16 tickets and picked them up through Pepperdine. Besides my own personal desire to see them live, I really do think Staples will be a friendly enviroment and to the teams advantage. Until they play Arizona of course.

I would guess that if the Zags met SDSU in LA, "The Show" as they call the Aztec fans would outnumber GU fans. That might be a fun game to watch; Great Offense v. Great Defense. Or it could be a nail biting grinder if State can make enough shots.