PDA

View Full Version : Dan Dickau & Matt Santangelo talk Zags!

GoZags84
03-07-2015, 09:35 AM
Randomly found this sports show talking Zags and wanted to share with Zag Nation!

http://greatamericansportsnetwork.com/outsiders-sports-show-ncaa-basketball/

MJ777
03-07-2015, 12:39 PM
I must have been the second view. The two guys were a bit goofy, but the video in the beginning and the one at the end were great. I FFWD to the parts with DD and Santangelo. Both provided some good insight into this year's team. Santangelo mentioned the importance of toughness, playing with emotion and wanting it more than your opponent. Santangelo's teams went 5 and 2 in the tourney from seeds of 10 for both years.

Go Zags!!

GoZags84
03-07-2015, 09:45 PM
Yeah still not seeing the toughness, emotion, or want to from beginning to end. It's troubling to see.

Larrylegend
03-07-2015, 10:08 PM
Yeah still not seeing the toughness, emotion, or want to from beginning to end. It's troubling to see.

Santangelo, Calvery and Frahm epitomized why millions of Americans became Gonzaga basketball fans. It's never been replicated. Hell, in 14 years Few has never gotten out of the Sweet 16. It's not difficult to understand why so many look at GU as the little school that can't rather then the little school that can. Despite this teams late-season faltering I remain cautiously optimistic.

GoZags84
03-08-2015, 10:23 AM
Santangelo, Calvery and Frahm epitomized why millions of Americans became Gonzaga basketball fans. It's never been replicated. Hell, in 14 years Few has never gotten out of the Sweet 16. It's not difficult to understand why so many look at GU as the little school that can't rather then the little school that can. Despite this teams late-season faltering I remain cautiously optimistic.

I wish I could be optimistic, but this teams performance over the last month and change has been uninspired to say the least. All I can do is hope they figure it out over the next two games.

Zag365
03-08-2015, 11:00 AM
Both provided some good insight into this year's team. Santangelo mentioned the importance of toughness, playing with emotion and wanting it more than your opponent. Santangelo's teams went 5 and 2 in the tourney from seeds of 10 for both years.

MS/DD assessment of where this team is now is accurate IMHO. I didn't think we'd be talking like that this year at this time of year. I thought we had so many experienced, skilled players that the only question would be who and how we match up at S16 and E8 (once we got there). I love this team, our coaches, and the program. I'm not disappointed or upset, just surprised. I didn't think we'd be 30-2 but I also didn't think that I'd be on the edge of my seat, getting butterflies for every WCC game in February/March of this season. I think the team is playing hard but seems to have hit a ceiling.

Zags11
03-08-2015, 12:44 PM
Im trying to keep the faith.

jazzdelmar
03-08-2015, 01:31 PM
Ceiling was vs Memphis. Something inexplicable then happened. Senioritis, press clippings, PT discontent, pro visions....who the f### knows. Jenks would have made a difference if only because he would have pushed Pangos, who has disappeared as a force. Walks it up, passes it off. Best PG in the country talk maybe got to his head. At least Karno and KW have plugged away, even with limitations. Wesley has gone backwards. Sabonis always a thrill but flatlined developmentally. Melson looks less than happy. Just a mess.

GoZags84
03-08-2015, 04:22 PM
Ceiling was vs Memphis. Something inexplicable then happened. Senioritis, press clippings, PT discontent, pro visions....who the f### knows. Jenks would have made a difference if only because he would have pushed Pangos, who has disappeared as a force. Walks it up, passes it off. Best PG in the country talk maybe got to his head. At least Karno and KW have plugged away, even with limitations. Wesley has gone backwards. Sabonis always a thrill but flatlined developmentally. Melson looks less than happy. Just a mess.

Very well said! Sad to see and they have to figure this thing out before it's too late. An early ncaa exit will lead to the most disappointing Zags team ever.

zagamatic
03-08-2015, 04:36 PM

It's sad to say, but I have to agree.

OZZY
03-08-2015, 05:22 PM

Tired of seeing you bash KP. I ignored it the first time, not this one!

While his offensive focus may have changed (spreading the ball out more, his assist numbers are up this year), if he had made his 3 pointers at his normal clip the Zags would have won by 15+ points against SF. Have you not noticed that the defensive side of his game has picked up? (three steals, drawing one, should have been two charging calls). He's also diving for loose balls, aggressively going after rebounds in his area etc.

KP is about the wins not the numbers, and, from what his teammates say, they back him "150%".

FuManShoes
03-08-2015, 05:35 PM

While his offensive focus may have changed (spreading the ball out more, his assist numbers are up this year), if he had made his 3 pointers at his normal clip the Zags would have won by 15+ points against SF. Have you not noticed that the defensive side of his game has picked up? (three steals, drawing one, should have been two charging calls). He's also diving for loose balls, aggressively going after rebounds in his area etc.

KP is about the wins not the numbers, and, from what his teammates say, they back him "150%".

There was a play against SF where Wiltjer watched a loose ball while Pangos flew in from no where to dive on it. Not saying Wiltjer doesn't play hard, but Pangos does - without fail, on both ends. I was surprised his shot was off in that first half. Glad he found it and hope it stays with him.

spike_jr
03-08-2015, 05:39 PM
IMO, KP has slowed his pace down a bit for the following:
A. He knows he is going to play almost 40 min/gm because
B. We do not have a point guard that can come in and keep the offense rolling (well, we do, but his jaw is broken)

KP was out of gas at the end of the UA game. The mind was working but the legs could not deliver. EM has not really shown the ability to come in and run the offense at a high level. EM's limited playing time combined with Few's tendencies would indicated that Kevin will be playing along side EM rather than getting a rest while EM takes the reigns.

jazzdelmar
03-08-2015, 05:39 PM

KP is about the wins not the numbers, and, from what his teammates say, they back himI "150%".

Not bashing. KP is a very good college p guard. Not the best in the country, not as good as he has been for GU and not good enough to get his team very far in the NCs. His career has been up and down. This is the floor, unfortunately. He will certainly rank among the top ten in GU history.

Mantua
03-08-2015, 05:44 PM
There was a play against SF where Wiltjer watched a loose ball while Pangos flew in from no where to dive on it. Not saying Wiltjer doesn't play hard, but Pangos does - without fail, on both ends. I was surprised his shot was off in that first half. Glad he found it and hope it stays with him.

The lack of post defense has often put a burden on the guards. The guards are frequently in more foul trouble than the posts, (except for Sabonis), because the posts aren't getting to their spots.

Zagceo
03-08-2015, 11:11 PM
The lack of post defense has often put a burden on the guards. The guards are frequently in more foul trouble than the posts, (except for Sabonis), because the posts aren't getting to their spots.

If you watch good defensive teams they tend to over play and force players into double teams.

i'd like to see a defensive set that tried this just to change it up once in a while along with some trapping zones with our height advantage.

jagwalkley
03-09-2015, 02:13 PM
You sure hit the nail on the head,so sad.

Ezag
03-09-2015, 02:15 PM
GU's weakness over the years has always been more on the defensive end. Gonzaga teams are not known for their stellar defense

Vanzagger
03-09-2015, 02:41 PM
Pang is the best pg in the country. Some of you want a flashy chucker. I want a winner.

GoZags84
03-09-2015, 09:54 PM
Love the emotion, intensity, and want to I saw in the second half. We need to figure out how to do it a full 40 min, but it was still great to see; it's been over a month since I've seen that.

Hoopaholic
03-09-2015, 10:35 PM
Pang is the best pg in the country. Some of you want a flashy chucker. I want a winner.

me too.....

Hoopaholic
03-09-2015, 10:37 PM
Not bashing. KP is a very good college p guard. Not the best in the country, not as good as he has been for GU and not good enough to get his team very far in the NCs. His career has been up and down. This is the floor, unfortunately. He will certainly rank among the top ten in GU history.

so please define "not very far" in the tourny......please tell me what you think is not very far

his career has been efficient and effective with all tools available...

GoZags84
03-10-2015, 10:59 PM
so please define "not very far" in the tourny......please tell me what you think is not very far

his career has been efficient and effective with all tools available...

Before the second half vs. SF and the win tonight vs. BYU I thought we'd lose in the sweet 16 as a best case scenario. Now, I've seen them play hard with emotion and determination so if we play that way we can get back to the elite 8 for the first time since 99'.