PDA

View Full Version : Gonzaga preparing for second season

Reborn
03-05-2015, 09:01 PM
Well! The first season is over, and Gonzaga is getting ready to begin again afresh. It's a whole new season now. They can forget about their missing the upset at Arizona. They can forget about their game against BYU on Senior Night. It's time to begin again. My hope is that although it's a new season, that they DO remember the season, and that they remember their accomplishments that came from very hard work. And I hope, most of all, that they remember how good they are. They were ranked among the top teams in America for at least half the season, and are finally a top ten team with a shot at the making it to the Final Four.

Here are things I am hoping they remember.

Their record is 18-2.
Their conference record is 17-1, finishing 4 games ahead of the second best team.
They have two players who are in the top ten of the best players in America. And the only team that has two on the list.
That they play best when they play as a team and pass the ball. The must control to urge to play one on one basketball. When they pass the rock it's a thing of beauty.
They must play all-out on defense. They had a goal of finishing in the top 20 in defense in the country; and they have 3 games to get 'er done.
Mt. Karno needs to explode. He really needs to assert himself in these last 8 or 9 games.
I believe Gonzaga has a great bench. The team needs them to now play their best basketball game of the year, and when Dranginis and Melson come into the game they must be ready to also score.
I'm looking for Kevin and Kyle Wiltjer to play like an All-Americans.
And finally I hope that Kevin and Gary end their great careers at Gonzaga with a lot bigger bang then they did in K2 last Saturday night. I truly hope they play their best basketball ever in these last 8 or 9 games.

So let's get ready for the great ride that lies ahead of us.

kitzbuel
03-05-2015, 09:39 PM
Everyone in the WCC is 0-0 now. Whoever finishes out with the best record knows they get to move on.

TravelinZag
03-06-2015, 05:40 AM
Reborn, you stated the case that this team has the ability to remove the chips I hope they'll carry on their shoulders: that last game, and GU's disappointing history in the dance. They can be the best Zag team ever, and all they have to do to prove it is bring their A-game each night! Go Zags!

Reborn
03-06-2015, 06:38 AM
Reborn, you stated the case that this team has the ability to remove the chips I hope they'll carry on their shoulders: that last game, and GU's disappointing history in the dance. They can be the best Zag team ever, and all they have to do to prove it is bring their A-game each night! Go Zags!

I guess it's just a difference in philosophy. I don't believe that a great team needs to play with a chip on their shoulder in order to succeed. I believe that playing with confidence is the most important thing. By "playing with confidence" I mean playing with the inner belief that you are better then the other team. Or playing with the inner belief that you are the better player. I think that for Gonzaga to think about the past, the game last Saturday, all the games that they lost in the NCAA tournament, would be a mistake, and I feel it would only create more pressure to succeed. IMO, Gonzaga has been playing under pressure and have been a little tense. The key to being a successful shooter is confidence and relaxation.

coolhandzag
03-06-2015, 07:02 AM
The cool thing about March is, you don't have to be the best, or most talented team to win. It helps, for certain, but in no means necessary. You just have to have a little more magic then the other team for about 2 and a half hours. Any team has the opportunity. Any team can beat any other team. Weird stuff happens. This is both good and bad. The Zags can beat any team out there, and if they don't show they can lose their tail.

Follow the Cannon of basketball.

1. Rebound.
2. Defend.
3. Execute.

That leads to more magic!

Zags11
03-06-2015, 07:14 AM
I believe we go deep this yr and im sticking to it.

bartruff1
03-06-2015, 07:51 AM
I want them to play angry and just beat the piss out of their opponent....

Few is talking about them returning to the physical and aggressive play they had early in the season...

spike_jr
03-06-2015, 08:04 AM
I want them to play angry and just beat the piss out of their opponent....FOR 40 MINUTES

Few is talking about them returning to the physical and aggressive play they had early in the season...

Also Reborn, I felt GU came out against BYU knowing that they were better than BYU and that was going to be enough to win the game. But as we know, the "better team" does not always win - desire/heart/hustle is an important part to the recipe as well.

ValencyLovesZagsInAtlanta
03-06-2015, 11:24 AM
I want them to play angry and just beat the piss out of their opponent....

Bart,

Do you think Kevin and Kyle have that capability? Both to me are the quintessential finesse player. As it relates to aggressive I hope we don't see ISO for Pangos on a regular basis against other elite defenders. For a smart coach that would never draw a double. I would rather post up Kyle and have him distribute or deal 1 on 1 on the block or on the perimeter. SABONIS is still our best option. What do you guys think???

kitzbuel
03-06-2015, 11:27 AM
Kyle has a mean streak in him. That dunk against SCU showed that. I hope he goes into this tournament wanting to be a bully.

TheZagPhish
03-06-2015, 11:44 AM
http://cl.ly/a5yL/bulldog-statue-tourney-launch-sm.png

VaBeachZAG
03-06-2015, 12:52 PM
[QUOTE desire/heart/hustle is an important part to the recipe as well.[/QUOTE]

This is what I feel was missing from the Zags last Saturday and is the basis, more than anything else, for the BYU loss. If these traits are not brought in each and every remaining game, often stated Tournament goals for this team simply will not be realized. It's up to the seniors to ensure this team doesn't have another uninspiring performance; if this is done the Zags could go far - we'll see soon enough.

DixieZag
03-06-2015, 01:12 PM
.This is what I feel was missing from the Zags last Saturday and is the basis, more than anything else, for the BYU loss. If these traits are not brought in each and every remaining game, often stated Tournament goals for this team simply will not be realized. It's up to the seniors to ensure this team doesn't have another uninspiring performance; if this is done the Zags could go far - we'll see soon enough.

I think this is perfectly said.

Seems hard to believe they wouldn't come out with guns blazing in the tournaments. However, it seemed hard to believe they didn't do so against BYU. The hope is that the rest before the WCC and then the rest before the tournament allow them to really rest their bodies, heal a little in body and mind. It's fighting history to think that way, but that's the hope.

FuManShoes
03-06-2015, 02:06 PM
I for one hope they remember the losses. Each carried a lesson. Against Arizona the Zags let up, failed to get stops, lost some focus and let a hard-earned win slip away. Yeah, they got jobbed but the the game was theirs for the taking. Against BYU they came out flat and a step slow, and couldn't catch up despite the door being left open. At least they showed fight at the end. So now they know what can happen if they take an opponent or opportunity for granted. There's been a certain nonchalance around the basket that they need to kick. Make those bunnies. Secure those boards and loose balls. Switch those ball screens with purpose. They've got the talent. They've got the depth. Now they need to (re)discover that will to get it done from the jump to the closing buzzer. And that goes for the coaches on down through the ranks. Yes, even Rem must commit to playing the dickens out of the air guitar as if Zag Nation depended on it. Because it does.

http://cdn3.sbnation.com/imported_assets/1979793/airguitarbro_medium.gif

ZigZagSoCal
03-06-2015, 06:01 PM
I agree with all that have been said in this thread.

Additionally, I hope the coaches took the team away somewhere to revitalize their bond. To let them know that these may be the last games they'll play with each other at GU. Hit home with giving it all they've got for each other. Perhaps similar or better than what they did before this season started.

zagamatic
03-06-2015, 07:30 PM
This guy right here will be floating on cloud 9 if our Zags go 9-0 in this "second season".