PDA

View Full Version : Medcalf Piece on Wiltjer

Angelo Roncalli
03-05-2015, 09:29 AM
His 45-point effort in a Feb. 19 win over Pacific only surprised those who weren't aware of the work he's put in since he arrived in Spokane two summers ago.

"It's great because it just makes us so hard to guard because the other team has to respect him," Pangos said. "Just gets the defense scrambling."

Today, he's the versatile performer that his father inspired. Wiltjer is comfortable inside. He crashes the boards. And he has a torch from 17 feet and out.

It's that arsenal that Gonzaga will rely on as it seeks a national championship.

"He has the ratchet," said Bulldogs guard Gary Bell Jr., the WCC Defensive Player of the Year. "Every time he shoots it, it feels like it's going in. He just spreads the floor even more. You can't help off him."

But you can definitely win with him.

http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/12420133/kyle-wiltjer-transforms-game-transition-kentucky-wildcats-gonzaga-bulldogs

gonzagafan62
03-05-2015, 10:48 AM
Absolutely loved this article. Wiltjer is such a treat to watch. Zags are lucky to have him.

TheZagPhish
03-05-2015, 11:26 AM
Medcalf with another nice read. Since Myron visited Spokane and got close to the program for a bit, he seems to be really plugged in to what the Zags are doing.

Bouldin4Prez
03-05-2015, 11:42 AM
Medcalf with another nice read. Since Myron visited Spokane and got close to the program for a bit, he seems to be really plugged in to what the Zags are doing.

Medcalf has never hated on the Zags he merely points out our team flames out in March which has been true for the past 10 years

Zagricultural
03-05-2015, 01:58 PM
[QUOTE=Bouldin4Prez;1093720]Medcalf has never hated on the Zags he merely points out our team flames out in March which has been true for the past 10 years[/QUOTE

I am just as disappointed that we haven't broke through in the Tournament, but how often in the past ten years have we lost to a much lower seed? The Wichita game is tainted in my opinion, because we dont get credit for losing Bell. They went wild from 3 after he was out. Went to the Final Four too. Seriously hyperbolic to say we always flame out in March, and I am getting sick of it.

gonzagafan62
03-05-2015, 02:52 PM
[QUOTE=Bouldin4Prez;1093720]Medcalf has never hated on the Zags he merely points out our team flames out in March which has been true for the past 10 years[/QUOTE

I am just as disappointed that we haven't broke through in the Tournament, but how often in the past ten years have we lost to a much lower seed? The Wichita game is tainted in my opinion, because we dont get credit for losing Bell. They went wild from 3 after he was out. Went to the Final Four too. Seriously hyperbolic to say we always flame out in March, and I am getting sick of it.

Haven't lost to one since The Bob Knight and Texas Tech squad, and if you don't count that, then we have to go back to 2004.

I am just as sick of it as everyone else is. Facts are facts though, we get screwed on matchups. That's the one thing we cannot control. Lets dive in again: (I guess I will be more creative this time)

2014: Stuck playing #1 Arizona
2013: Bell Broken ankle/foot whatever; don't count.
2012: #2 Ohio State
2011: Jimmered.
2010: #1 Syracuse
2009: #1 North Carolina
2008: Curried.
2007: The One Man Raivio show lost to #7 Indiana, hint (we were 10 seed)
2006: The game no one shall mention. We weren't the higher seed either.
2005: Bobby Knight: #6 vs #3. Yeah, maybe we should have actually won that game.
2004: I hate the Refs, screwed Turiaf.
2003: The Classic
2002: The committee shaft in the Pit. Should have won the game.

So I count, two times we really "should have won" the games. Flame out? Maybe you should realize most of the time we played better teams, and over half of them were #1 or #2 seeds! This year looks like the rubber match. Time to go win games.

Seeds:

Years →

'95

'99

'00

'01

'02

'03

'04

'05

'06

'07

'08

'09

'10

'11

'12

'13

'14

Seeds → 14 10 10 12 6 9 2 3 3 10 7 4 8 11 7 1 8

That doesn't deem for much success.

DixieZag
03-05-2015, 04:00 PM
Never has there been a "skrewin'" like the one that put us - the 6th ranked team in the country, into the tourney as a 6th seed against Wyoming, a MWC team that plays at 7500 ft, into a MWC arena at 6000 ft.

Still should have won.

I don't think the committee went so far as to plan the altitude impacts, but you never know.

Zagger
03-05-2015, 06:11 PM
Zags are gonna win and win BIG. All that March crap is gonna be tired. Go Zags!

Ekrub
03-05-2015, 06:49 PM
Poor guy likes Drake.

thegloriousgoateeofKP
03-05-2015, 07:50 PM
I want to get a 5-seed one of these days. We've been a 1, 2, 3, 4...6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12...14

gonzagabasketball
03-06-2015, 07:02 AM

When did Bell go out? Wichita state was 7/14 in each half from three. I'm not sure how this narrative continues, how fans continue to convince themselves that GU fell prey to luck as opposed to being simply beat. Again.

Take any indivual season, and you may be right, didn't lose to a much lower seed, no shame in that. Last season for example, or Stephen Grays senior year, both achieved more than I had imagined they would, especially after watching those teams game in and game out.

But to make noise in the NCAAs you need to beat people, regardless of seed, location, or time of day. Take the last decade as a whole and the notion of playing to seed feels hollow, in my opinion, and the body of work seems to ring truer as a reflection of where the program is than the human interest story of GUs assention to the upper echelon of college basketball.

I mean, liberty's coach was just fired after going 8-24, how many times did they lose to inferior teams? Maybe none, they aren't very good, and that's the point, your record starts to speak for itself. GU fans want it both ways, they want the respect deserved of elite programs in the country, eschewing the moniker of mid major, but fall back on the feel-good-back-patting congratulations of the "little engine that could" mentality when expectations aren't met.

It isn't an insult, or hate, or a disservice to be considered a mid major, I feels it's the perfect despcription. A middling university from nowhere who plays MAJOR level basketball and is still on its rise up. The repspect is there, despite the chagrin of many, the highest accomplishments not quite, though to be fair, they still feel well with in the ability of the program to achieve.

gonzagafan62
03-06-2015, 07:40 AM
[QUOTE=gonzagabasketball;1093855][QUOTE=Zagricultural;1093748]

When did Bell go out? Wichita state was 7/14 in each half from three.

I agree with most of your post, even though I feel the Liberty coach thing is completely out of context, lol. But I do what you are saying, and respect your opinion. Secondly, I do want to point out, that if you are correct, and Bell was out with 7/14 (mid way through the second half) .... then how they finished (14-28) is real indicative to how the story is correctly portrayed.

Wichita State found flaws in Gonzaga, and a weakness without Bell in the lineup. They shot 14 more threes, and made half of them in the last half of the game. Its ridiculous. I don't think its someone trying to convince anyone of anything, I think its just a fact of life. Bell went down, and there was no defending left. Game over. And yet even then, we had the lead with four minutes to go (or something) before the shockers put on some more threes (I don't think they missed the rest of the game) and downed us.

The narrative that we "flame out in March" is not even close to being true. Its just a silly perception that the media, fans, and everyone seem to follow because they don't have any other viable information or knowledge about the school, Gonzaga. They need to put their college degrees to work!

:)

'62

(However, I haven't seen the full game since the first airing, which is kind of sad) so if I am wrong on any account of the information, I am sorry. My memory is slowly fuzzing away.

spike_jr
03-06-2015, 07:56 AM
Actually, after Bell went down, Dranginis came in. GU was down when he came in and up about 8 when he left.... never to see the floor again. Do you think it was easier to shoot over one of our shorter guards or over 6'-5" Dranginis who was also an above average defender? IMHO, Few reverted to his comfort zone and played the percentages rather than coaching the game that was unfolding right in front of him.

Bouldin4Prez
03-06-2015, 08:03 AM
You guys really took the term "Flame Out" extremely sensitive. If you don't think we have under performed during the tournament in the past 10 years then you are a delusional fan. This entire board claims we are a top 20 program, yet we have made the it to the round of 16 twice in the past 10 years. Our average loss margin was 12.2 points per game in those 10 tournaments. We have had our fair share of chances to advance in the tournament. I love Gonzaga basketball more than anything excluding people and animals, but I can also look at our team objectively. I'm just pointing out that when the pundits repeatedly claim that Gonzaga doesn't do well in March they have some basis behind their statements.

I understand that we hardly ever lose to a team that is lower seeded than us but we also NEVER beat a team that is higher seeded than us. Ya Duke, Kansas and some of the other blue bloods have lost as 2 seeds to 15 seeds etc but they also have multiple S16's, E8's, and FF's to their name as well. I'm just saying you guys put too much emphasis on "march madness is just a crap shoot". It is to a certain extent but you reach a point where you have to realistically look at it as we don't perform in March for some reason.

Enough negativity from me. I'm rooting with all my heart for the Zags to push all those negative connotations aside this year and make a run for our first ever national championship! Here's to a great March and Go Zags Baby!!!!!!!!!

gonzagabasketball
03-06-2015, 08:14 AM
The liberty reference was to illustrate that often, your record tells the whole story. I think Mark fess record tells the whole story, 400+ wins and all, 5 sweet 16s and all the feet, I don't need to list them. But over the last decade I think the tourney record is telling.

Also, it was 7-14 in EACH half. That means they shot 50% with bell in there as well. Now, late in the game they did go on a stretch of 23 points in 9 possessions, Bell would likely have stemmed that tide, no disagreement there.

CdAZagFan
03-06-2015, 08:28 AM
Great article... I found it interesting that Travis was working with Kyle on his end-of-season conditioning. Kyle's been a little flat the last couple of games - I just hope he regains his form heading into the tournaments.

gonzagafan62
03-06-2015, 08:50 AM
The liberty reference was to illustrate that often, your record tells the whole story. I think Mark fess record tells the whole story, 400+ wins and all, 5 sweet 16s and all the feet, I don't need to list them. But over the last decade I think the tourney record is telling.

Also, it was 7-14 in EACH half. That means they shot 50% with bell in there as well. Now, late in the game they did go on a stretch of 23 points in 9 possessions, Bell would likely have stemmed that tide, no disagreement there.

I see that as a good argument. That definitely is a good point.

gonzagafan62
03-06-2015, 08:52 AM
Actually, after Bell went down, Dranginis came in. GU was down when he came in and up about 8 when he left.... never to see the floor again. Do you think it was easier to shoot over one of our shorter guards or over 6'-5" Dranginis who was also an above average defender? IMHO, Few reverted to his comfort zone and played the percentages rather than coaching the game that was unfolding right in front of him.

That's very true too. I don't remember that, but I don't question your memory over mine

Birddog
03-06-2015, 10:26 AM

Actually, they were 7 of 15 in the first, and 7 of 13 in the 2nd. Small point I know but......
http://www.gozags.com//ViewContent.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=26400&CONTENT_ID=545146

gonzagabasketball
03-06-2015, 03:46 PM
Actually, they were 7 of 15 in the first, and 7 of 13 in the 2nd. Small point I know but......
http://www.gozags.com//ViewContent.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=26400&CONTENT_ID=545146

I guess I always subconsciously dismissed the heave as the half expired, but you're correct. Nice catch.

GoZags
03-06-2015, 03:51 PM
I guess I always subconsciously dismissed the heave as the half expired, but you're correct. Nice catch.

You "may" have also "subconsciously" dismissed the fact that Gary Bell Jr. played the 1st half injured (and a step slow) before being taken out of the game at halftime. It'd not like he broke the foot at 19.55 of the 1st half.

Zags11
03-06-2015, 03:54 PM
Never has there been a "skrewin'" like the one that put us - the 6th ranked team in the country, into the tourney as a 6th seed against Wyoming, a MWC team that plays at 7500 ft, into a MWC arena at 6000 ft.

Still should have won.

I don't think the committee went so far as to plan the altitude impacts, but you never know.

wyoming practiced there.