PDA

View Full Version : An open letter of thanks to all members of the GU Community

cwes22
03-03-2015, 08:48 AM
As I sit here and reflect on the record and results of this regular season, I find myself filled with a sort of contentment that only a mother can have. When my son decided to transfer from USC, the fear of the unknown was real and the foreseeable future cloudy. Soo many questions came as to where would Byron go, would he fit in, would he be accepted and embraced by both the fans and current players and would he be able to modify his game to truly help his teammates win. The answer to all of those questions was a resounding YES!!! Not only did he seamlessly transition into the program, but he did so with the acceptance of everyone involved. And for that, from the bottom of my heart, I THANK ALL OF YOU for the love and support that Byron has received during his time at GU. I was lucky enough to get to the Kennel 3 times this season and I must say, that experience alone was Phenomenal!! (Being a UCLA Grad, and attending games there cannot hold a candle to attending games at GU). On the road, in the mall, in hotel lobbies, in airports, at away games, the fans that I met were extremely knowledgeable and the support was incredible!! I found myself reading this message board since the day Byron decided to invite Coach Few & Coach Daniels to our home. The enthusiasm at the prospect of Byron attending was awesome and throughout the season, the support, comments (both positive and negative), have been fun to read. I even sent some of the comments made after the Arizona game to Byron just because they were soo encouraging and supportive.

So I guess I am saying all of this to say, THANK YOU Gonzaga University, GU Fans, GU Alumni & GU Students for embracing Byron, for making him feel at home and for accepting him as one of your own. He said that this has been "the best year of his life," and I for one agree 10000000%

Now I know that there is a WHOLE lot of basketball yet to be played because this incredible ride isn't finished yet but I just wanted to send out my thanks before the real fun begins!!

Chantal Wesley

titopoet
03-03-2015, 08:51 AM
As I sit here and reflect on the record and results of this regular season, I find myself filled with a sort of contentment that only a mother can have. When my son decided to transfer from USC, the fear of the unknown was real and the foreseeable future cloudy. Soo many questions came as to where would Byron go, would he fit in, would he be accepted and embraced by both the fans and current players and would he be able to modify his game to truly help his teammates win. The answer to all of those questions was a resounding YES!!! Not only did he seamlessly transition into the program, but he did so with the acceptance of everyone involved. And for that, from the bottom of my heart, I THANK ALL OF YOU for the love and support that Byron has received during his time at GU. I was lucky enough to get to the Kennel 3 times this season and I must say, that experience alone was Phenomenal!! (Being a UCLA Grad, and attending games there cannot hold a candle to attending games at GU). On the road, in the mall, in hotel lobbies, in airports, at away games, the fans that I met were extremely knowledgeable and the support was incredible!! I found myself reading this message board since the day Byron decided to invite Coach Few & Coach Daniels to our home. The enthusiasm at the prospect of Byron attending was awesome and throughout the season, the support, comments (both positive and negative), have been fun to read. I even sent some of the comments made after the Arizona game to Byron just because they were soo encouraging and supportive.

So I guess I am saying all of this to say, THANK YOU Gonzaga University, GU Fans, GU Alumni & GU Students for embracing Byron, for making him feel at home and for accepting him as one of your own. He said that this has been "the best year of his life," and I for one agree 10000000%

Now I know that there is a WHOLE lot of basketball yet to be played because this incredible ride isn't finished yet but I just wanted to send out my thanks before the real fun begins!!

Chantal Wesley

You son and family are a blessing to the Zag Nation and to all who love the team. You should be very proud of an excellent young man who will be a success in life.

Oh and I forgot. The Seasons is not over and the legends are still to be written with your son front and center within the next stage.

Go ZAGS!!

MTZag03
03-03-2015, 08:58 AM
Thank you so much for coming here to share that with us. We love Byron and hope he gets the same special experience us alumni got from GU.

Reborn
03-03-2015, 09:00 AM
Wow! What a great mother with such a wonderful, humble heart. I am so moved by this "open letter." Love surrounds ZagNation and the Gonzaga team. Byron has been a great surprise, and he DOES CONTRIBUTE SO MUCH TO THE ZAGS. And I trust that as we now go forward to the toughest part of the season that Byron will contribute even more. He will be better, tougher, and play with 100% effort in every game. I saw so much of his talent demonstrated in the second half of the BYU game. He needs to do this more, and Few needs to find ways to let Byron isolate one on one against his opponents.

Thank you so much Mrs Wesley for you moving letter. You are certainly a classy woman and fantastic mother.

Go Zags!!!

Kiddwell
03-03-2015, 09:16 AM
Byron's been terrific. A hard-to-rattle, very stable presence on the court. Seems like a wonderful young man too. Hope he and his fellow players experience the Final Four.

:adored::adored:

:]

mgadfly
03-03-2015, 09:18 AM
Thanks Chantal. My favorite post ever.

kitzbuel
03-03-2015, 09:23 AM
What a nice surprise to have you post this. We all know that family members do view this forum, though posts from them are infrequent.

Despite all the back and forth that may go on here, we are all deeply committed to Gonzaga and we all believe it is a tremendous university and we are very proud of our basketball team. Byron has been absolute gold and has burnished the GU basketball tradition. I am exceptionally impressed with his commitment to the team and its success. It can be hard giving up a lead role, but he has become part of a very special team. We look forward to a another 8 or 9 games with him!

gonzagafan62
03-03-2015, 09:29 AM
Thank you so much Chantal. Byron is an extremely great player and an even better person. I am sooooooooo glad he chose Gonzaga University.

Funny you bring up the Arizona game. I felt bad for him. But I knew he would rebound. And he has. That speaks volumes to the great commitment Byron has shown to get better and better every day.

We are blessed to have had him this year, and we hope that he will be a great contributor to an awesome NCAA Tournament run.

Thanks for stopping by:

gonzagafan62

77Zag
03-03-2015, 09:29 AM
This is exactly why GU is so special. Mrs. Wesley, your post is fabulous and made me tear up. We are all so glad Byron became part of the "family" and he's been a great contributor. God Bless for sending him our way.

Let's put a 9-0 run together and complete the story.

Go Zags!!

Zagdawg
03-03-2015, 09:35 AM
Thank you and Byron for becoming members of the Zag family. Your son has been an outstanding member of the team and his dedication and commitment to the team is a large part of why we have experienced this years successful results.

Looking forward to that continued success as we move into the post season.

Go Zags

Zagceo
03-03-2015, 09:37 AM
Thanks CW for sharing! You warmed my heart with that post.

The strength I see in Byron is evident in your voice.

As they say it's not about falling down its about getting up!

The best is yet to come.

Go Zags

DarkZagRises
03-03-2015, 09:41 AM
We've been so blessed to have him. Thank YOU for doing such a good job raising him and thanks to him for choosing GU.

From everything I've seen, guy seems super humble, well-spoken, and well-rounded - three of the traits I admire most in anyone... and he's not afraid to show his geek side (Harry Potter). :) Wish he could have been here 4 years! But I'm always gonna claim him as ours just as if he'd never attended anywhere else.

77Zag
03-03-2015, 09:42 AM
Will we get to meet Mrs. Wesley in Vegas? See you at the social, and make sure you are sporting your 22 jersey!

GonzagasaurusFlex
03-03-2015, 09:49 AM
Post of the year...thanks Chantal!

I'd say the smooth transition for Byron and the team is a 50/50 reflection of some very smart, humble and 'team first' guys who just want to win. We are very very fortunate Byron chose Gonzaga and look forward to seeing how this season plays out. Go Zags!!

adoptedzag
03-03-2015, 09:50 AM
Chantal,

Thank you for coming here and sharing. It really makes me glad to be a Zag fan to know that there are good people that are sending their kids to the program. I know sometimes the board can be a bit... shall we say, boisterous, but it comes from a place of love.

Here's to a great run in March!

Cheers,
Chris

GoZags
03-03-2015, 09:59 AM
Chantal Wesley for threeeeeeeee !!!

Nothing but twine !!!

BTW the love and respect is mutual. What a priviledge for us, having Byron a Zag.

GoZags aka Ken Devones

mtnZag
03-03-2015, 10:00 AM
I echo all the positive comments made about Brian and he wonderful family. We are fortunate to have him. He is definitely a Zag. From the beginning I noticed his movement on the court. He has such fluid movement and is best described as 'smooth'.
Thank you,
Mrs Wesley for sharing you wonderful letter with us.

scott257
03-03-2015, 10:00 AM
He is a fine young man. You should be proud. I certainly have enjoyed watching him play this year.

Ikancagin
03-03-2015, 10:11 AM
Mrs. Wesley: Before the start of the season I heard him being interviewed on the radio and he was well spoken, articulate, humble, positive and wanted to make himself and Gonzaga a better team by contributing as best he could. Several days later we had our Crazy in the Kennel and after the scrimmage I stood in line to get a poster signed for my grandson of all the players. When I came to your son, I mentioned I had heard him on the radio earlier and he was once again articulate, humble and appreciated my observations of his radio interview. I am only sorry we got to have his talents for one year. I also go to all the home games and he is the only player on the team that bows his head respectfully during the national anthem at every game. Many do it but I have noticed he does it every game. All of this leads me to conclude the he is going to be a successful member of society and positive and helpful to mankind in whatever he chooses to do. I would further say that after witnessing your family the other night and reading your comments here today, that he must be a chip of the old block. You are to be congratulated on raising a beautiful son and a great representative of Gonzaga University.

Hoopaholic
03-03-2015, 10:17 AM

Chantal Wesley

Ms Wesley,

While we would have loved to enjoyed Byron, his personality, his love for the game, his approach, his demeanor, his unselfish engagement to better others for a full 4 years, I honestly can say having for one year has been an awesome time. The young man embodies what Gonzaga teaches and stands for. He will take his lessons and become a tremendous contributing individual to society without a doubt.
BUT in the mean time, I look forward to watching that "wry" smile of his on the court, the soft tip of the head (one could only wonder what goes on in his head when this occurs) when a call goes south or sideways, and his unbelievable first step move to the hoop, combined with his simply DEEP DESIRE to get rebounds. He is an integral part of the teams success and I know he believes, as we all do there is a lot of basketball left to be played.

You can be proud of the young man in so many different ways.

Ed Casey/Hoopaholic

Demetri Awesome
03-03-2015, 10:25 AM
Chantal so glad your son was able to experience Gonzaga University. GU is truly a special place with special people! I look back on my years at GU and it truly was one of the best times in my life. The spirit that exists on campus gives me great faith in humanity. Coach Few is a great example of what GU is all about and he only brings in certain players and your son Bryon is an example of that. Thanks for sharing and I wish you and your family the best! And remember you'll always be apart of ZagNation! Go Zags! Lets make it one LONG journey through the tourney!

Marcus
03-03-2015, 10:26 AM
Wow, what an awesome post. Thank you for writing that. It is so easy for us fans to get wrapped up in the games and what goes on in them. Thanks for letting us remember that the experience and the journey for these young guys is the good stuff. As others have stated, I hope he gets to extend his career for while longer.

Zaga
03-03-2015, 10:43 AM
Thanks Chantal. My favorite post ever.

I have been a fan and have followed the Zag's since the mid 90's. Thank you Chantal!

TheZagPhish
03-03-2015, 11:00 AM
:000tens:

Best thread ever!

I heart Byron.

Zag_Dad
03-03-2015, 11:13 AM
Mrs. Wesley,

Thank you your post, it has been my favorite read here all year (if not of all times). Byron has been such a gift to GU and will be forever remembered as an a ZAG in every sense of the word. I have truly enjoyed watching him play and was equally impressed by his eloquence and demeanor when he spoke with the media.

I'm thrilled to know that Byron will finally get his chance to "dance" and will be part of this special team that will be playing deep into the tournament.

Cheers ... ZagDad

Robzagnut
03-03-2015, 11:22 AM
Byron has played like a man on a mission the past few games when many others seem to be sleepwalking. Hopefully, he can convince some of his under-performing teammates to play as hard as him, so they go further in the tournament. He has been such a big part of GU's success this year.

He of all the players knows that they can't take this opportunity lightly, because for some it only comes once. Carpe diem.

LongIslandZagFan
03-03-2015, 11:24 AM
We should be thanking you. You gave us, albeit only for one year, a great kid. You did a great job raising him and he will forever be a Zag. Thank you, thank you, thank you! I

BoZarth
03-03-2015, 11:35 AM
Ms. Wesley,

Thank you to your family for sharing Byron with Zagnation for one season. He's not only a HUGE reason for the success of this year's team but obviously a fantastic person.

Once a Zag . . . always a Zag Wesley Family!

Go Zags!!!!

BoZarth

WILLYMCG
03-03-2015, 11:51 AM
Beautifully expressed, and something Byron can keep too!

zagfan24
03-03-2015, 11:54 AM
Thank you so much for the kind message. It has been an absolute delight having Byron Wesley join GU this year, and he has been an exemplary Zag throughout the season. It's a great testament to him (and his family) that he has so easily melded with this group and has so willingly sacrificied his own numbers for the sake of the team. Mature, talented, and unselfish...what a great young man.

jazzdelmar
03-03-2015, 11:59 AM
Happy Mothers Day, Chantal. Surely not your first or last. Both you and Wesley have much to be proud of. As for us, thanks for sharing with us your one shining moment.

rennis
03-03-2015, 12:06 PM
Watching Byron play this year has been special. He has done things on the floor that we haven't seen at his position in a long time. And by all accounts he's also a leader and valued member of the community off the court. I think it's safe to say that all of us, as fans of the program, feel very fortunate and thankful he chose to spend his year as a Gonzaga Bulldog.

Thank you, Wesley family!

Mantua
03-03-2015, 12:19 PM
Chantal, you are like the crocuses pushing up through the snow today! Thank you for your lovely words to us.

Of course we can't say enough about Byron's wonderful year with Zags. His terrific character, maturity, heads up play and basketball wisdom have made us proud from day one.

Sarenyon
03-03-2015, 12:28 PM
Thank you Mrs. Chantal for sharing your son with us! The Zags as a team and GU Nation as a whole have benefited from his decision to be an integral part of this team. HOF Post.

cjm720
03-03-2015, 12:42 PM
Thank you and family for raising a great young man!

Hall of Fame post!!!

Ekrub
03-03-2015, 12:50 PM
One major criticism of wesley: he didn't transfer to GU sooner. Definitely could have used him the last two years. He is terrific with pangos and bell.

Lurknomore
03-03-2015, 01:02 PM
Your son has been a tremendous addition to the Gonzaga team this year. I have enjoyed watching him play and agree with other posters that I wish we would have had him longer. I am looking forward to watching a deep run in March and so glad he will get to experience it. I am also glad he was here for the warmest winter we have had!

sittingon50
03-03-2015, 01:33 PM
Thank you Mrs. "Wes".

Your son is a fine player but based on my observations an even better young man. And for that you & your husband are to be congratulated.

Enjoy the rest of the ride!!

tampanjzag
03-03-2015, 01:34 PM
Thank you Thank you and Thank you Mrs. Wesley. I rarely ever post on this board but am a frequent visitor. This is by far the best post I have ever seen. It has been an absolute pleasure watching Byron play even if that means stay up to 1:30 A.M. often. I wish him the greatest success after basketball! Here is to a fun and long run in the NCAA tourney! Go Zags!!

bartruff1
03-03-2015, 01:43 PM
How very classy ....and thoughtful ....it is a very compelling story and I will very much enjoy Byron going to the Dance.

Like the song says...." If you get a chance to sit it out or dance, I hope you dance...".....Thanks Byron..

BavarianZag
03-03-2015, 01:52 PM

Chantal Wesley

This letter gave me the chills....as a Gonzaga alumn, father of a Div1 athlete, and as a complete and utter Zag basketball honk. I personnally feel both honored and humbled that Byron Wesley (and his family) chose Gonzaga. Thank you!

Go Zags!

surfmonkey89
03-03-2015, 02:42 PM
Transfers can be hit or miss, but I can honestly say my only regret - one that's been expressed by my Zag friends as well - is that Byron was only here for one year.

That said, as far as I'm concerned, he's a Zag, and always will be a Zag.

siliconzag
03-03-2015, 03:06 PM
Byron is a testimonial to an amazingly gracious woman. He is lucky to have her for a mom (and Sili knows moms given from his Profession). The Zags were lucky to have his leadership and inspirational play, even if it was only for a year, and GU is lucky to have such devoted fans. Byron brought a dimension to the team that it lacked, but more than his athletic slashing style, he brought passion and determination that hopefully can help ignite this team and eventually overcome their recent regretable lethargy. Mrs. Wesley, thank you for your beautiful letter. It touched all Zag hearts that read it and helps remind us of what is unique and special about our alma mater and why your son will remain part of this legacy forever.

Sili

DixieZag
03-03-2015, 03:17 PM
Mrs. Wesley,

First; Once a Zag, always a Zag, no matter if it is for four years, or one.

Second: Mods, move this to the Hall of Fame, immediately, do not pass go, although, collect 200 internet points if you want.

Quick story that will warm your heart;

Your son was interviewed by the local sports station just before the season. I had never seen him play - couldn't pick him out of a line-up. But, when I heard what he had to say, I knew he was going to be a "Zag" in every definition of the word. I made a comment on here that what I heard was "A combination of funny, fun, cool perspective and a wonderful friend of the team, paired with a guy that wanted to win, doing whatever is asked, and be a leader to those wins. I declared him at the time to be so obviously "a Senior" in his maturity and that he would lead as if he'd been here 5 years. His attitude and approach was just too dialed in to not do so.

Thank you for your son, you've shared him with us and going forward all of us will consider him our son, too. I dearly hope that, like so many players from the past, that he will continue to come back in the summers (or live here.:) ) and help the younger players, and strengthen the Zag family bond. No doubt, he will always be welcome/wanted.

Now, let's go win - that's what he wants.

U Zig, I Zag
03-03-2015, 03:20 PM
Very nice, Mama Wes!

Let's make sure they all get more than a few more games to play.

Go Zags.

bballbeachbum
03-03-2015, 03:45 PM
What a great post! Your son's been a man out there all year, a blast to cheer for. To you Chantal :cheers:

http://binaryapi.ap.org/1c39cca5ff2441ea94b74b99c995913f/460x.jpg

DixieZag
03-03-2015, 03:56 PM
BTW: Hearing that he considers this "the best year of his life" is just so wonderful b/c his hard work and sweet nature sure deserves to be rewarded with him truly enjoying the experience.

ValencyLovesZagsInAtlanta
03-03-2015, 04:31 PM
She has some moxy! I like her confidence about the BIG DANCE! Basketball moms are so special. Yep they are...

Rangerzag
03-03-2015, 04:36 PM
As Coach Few refers to Byron as BWes, I am going to take the liberty to think of you MsWes.

I can not match the gratitude expressed here by my fellow board members even though I wish I could.

I notice you said you began reading this forum once Byron decided to become a Zag. I want to point out something you would most likely need to look back a few years to realize. That would be how many times newcomers to the Zags basketball team lag in efficiency for awhile because it takes a bit for so many newcomers get up to speed with the Zag offensive system. I do not recall a single comment that came close to that idea with Byron. He was on board and up to speed from the first day he saw daylight as a Zag.

That shows he is a very quick study of the game of basketball. It also shows he was completely invested from the beginning. As Zag fans we are all very lucky to bask in the results of this basketball season and it would not have been anywhere the same show without Byron.

Thank you all the way around MsWes!

GoZags!!!

john montana
03-03-2015, 04:40 PM
What a great post...totally made my day reading that. So glad bwes chose gu!

gonzagafan62
03-03-2015, 05:11 PM
Mrs. Wesley,

First; Once a Zag, always a Zag, no matter if it is for four years, or one.

Second: Mods, move this to the Hall of Fame, immediately, do not pass go, although, collect 200 internet points if you want.

Quick story that will warm your heart;

Your son was interviewed by the local sports station just before the season. I had never seen him play - couldn't pick him out of a line-up. But, when I heard what he had to say, I knew he was going to be a "Zag" in every definition of the word. I made a comment on here that what I heard was "A combination of funny, fun, cool perspective and a wonderful friend of the team, paired with a guy that wanted to win, doing whatever is asked, and be a leader to those wins. I declared him at the time to be so obviously "a Senior" in his maturity and that he would lead as if he'd been here 5 years. His attitude and approach was just too dialed in to not do so.

Thank you for your son, you've shared him with us and going forward all of us will consider him our son, too. I dearly hope that, like so many players from the past, that he will continue to come back in the summers (or live here.:) ) and help the younger players, and strengthen the Zag family bond. No doubt, he will always be welcome/wanted.

Now, let's go win - that's what he wants.
Absolutely!!!!!!! This !!!! Hall of Fame! Thanks for posting this Dixie! Absolutely incredible. I am sincerely going to miss Bwes

jim77
03-03-2015, 05:24 PM
Thank you for sharing you're son with us. I just wish we could have had him for 4 years. Did anyone ever tell ya you're son looks like a young Karl Malone? :):)Thanks again....James

zagbeliever
03-03-2015, 05:40 PM
Thank you Mrs. Wesley for such a kind note. Byron quickly became one of my favorite Zags after seeing him play the first time in the Kennel. We took a friend to a game over Christmas break who had never been before and she asked who my favorite was and I told her I love them all for different reasons but my favorite is Byron Wesley number 22. :)
He is such a solid, unselfish and calming player. The interviews I have seen of him show what a quality young man you have raised. So thankful to have had him this year. I only wish we could have him a couple of more. I can't wait for Vegas and beyond. Perhaps we will see you in Vegas but regardless, thank you and GO ZAGS!

tyra
03-03-2015, 06:46 PM
Dear Chantal:

Truly, truly, my favorite post ever. Thank you.

This has been my favorite season ever. I firmly believe that the one person who truly made that possible was Byron. He was the missing element in taking this team to a new level. His one year will echo for many years to come.

sittingon50
03-03-2015, 06:53 PM
Thank you Mrs. "Wes".

Your son is a fine player but based on my observations an even better young man. And for that you & your husband are to be congratulated.

Enjoy the rest of the ride!!

And just to add, does he have any buddies in SoCal to take his place next year?:)

HillBillyZag
03-03-2015, 07:52 PM
I'm just an old retired CYO Coach who has loved basketball for much longer than I will ever admit to?, and a HUGE Zag Fan. From his actions both on and off the Court, it is apparent your Son is a Class Act. Your Message touched my heart. LIve Long, and Prosper!

Tmac5360
03-03-2015, 07:56 PM
Mrs. Wesley, my son is a ball boy for the Zags. He speaks of your son with great reverence. I appreciate so much that he is such a great young man. Not to mention a tremendous basketball player. I don't know that my son will ever play hoops in the big time, but if he did I would love for him to emulate your son! Thanks for your great words. You have so much to be proud of!!

DixieZag
03-03-2015, 08:00 PM
Mrs. Wesley, my son is a ball boy for the Zags. He speaks of your son with great reverence. I appreciate so much that he is such a great young man. Not to mention a tremendous basketball player. I don't know that my son will ever play hoops in the big time, but if he did I would love for him to emulate your son! Thanks for your great words. You have so much to be proud of!!

It's so nice of you to join in on the thread, Coach Few, not a lot of coaches would do that......

:) Kidding Tmac, good job giving that tidbit.

Oh, and "UCLA grad" with a son went to "USC"? Must have been one intense discussion his senior year of HS. :)

Zag 77
03-03-2015, 08:03 PM
You are very gracious, Chantal. I hope your family and Byron feel like you will forever be part of the Zag Family.

sylean
03-03-2015, 09:08 PM
wow......puts things in perspective...

PNW Zagfan
03-03-2015, 09:42 PM
Dear Mrs Wesley,

Thank you for taking the time to write such a nice open letter. It is so representative as to what is special about your son, this year's team and the GU program.

As the parent of two sons attending college back east, I have some understanding of how difficult it is for parents to let their children pursue their dreams when it means they will be far from home. So thank you and your husband for sharing Byron with us this season. It has been an absolute pleasure watching him play and to hear him interviewed. He exemplifies the best combination of leadership, selflessness, character and talent through his hard work.

I am so very happy for Byron, and for his other teammates who will soon experience the NCAA tournament for the first time. They all have worked so very hard and what they have accomplished to date this season is so very special. As you indicated, there is still much more to come, and I believe, the best is yet to come.

All the best to you and your family. PNW Zagfan

Zags11
03-03-2015, 09:56 PM
Awesome. This is why people should think before they post. This was a treat to open and see. Thx

ZagsGoZags
03-03-2015, 10:26 PM
Thank you Chantal
I kept skipping over this thread till now, but saw the five stars and decided to see what the fuss was all about.
I am so glad I did, I have to admit I am a bit choked up right now,
and so glad your family is part of zag family.

GonzagasaurusFlex
03-03-2015, 10:59 PM
Thank you Chantal
I kept skipping over this thread till now, but saw the five stars and decided to see what the fuss was all about.
I am so glad I did, I have to admit I am a bit choked up right now,
and so glad your family is part of zag family.

Another reason why I'm grateful to Byron's mom for her letter is because this whole thread is like when guests come over for dinner and the kids are on their best behavior. Makes you feel proud :-)

JPtheBeasta
03-04-2015, 04:41 AM
Just awesome! Thanks for sharing.

Zaglaw
03-04-2015, 05:20 AM
Chantal:

What a wonderfully warm and classy post! But I would expect no less from the woman who raised Byron - he is clearly a quality young man. It has been obvious that he brought maturity and leadership to our program in addition to outstanding skills. i hope to get a chance to meet you in Las Vegas. I think you will enjoy how well the Zag community "travels."

Thank you to you and your entire family for sharing Byron with us. All of you are now Zags for life and we are glad you are!

Go Zags!

ValencyLovesZagsInAtlanta
03-04-2015, 05:28 AM
Another reason why I'm grateful to Byron's mom for her letter is because this whole thread is like when guests come over for dinner and the kids are on their best behavior. Makes you feel proud :-)

There is such a special charm knowing how connected Chantal is to the greatest basketball community in the universe. Chantal is a gift to be cherished and appreciated. She is our guiding light and bright ray of hope as we head towards basketball's Promised Land in INDY. It would be great to play through Staples Center. I can envision Byron and Chantal embracing as Mark Few climbs the ladder to cut down the nets after the Regional Final. Tears of joy for Gonzaga fans :)!

No matter what though it is the power of having loving and committed parents that can make the world a better place. Byron and Chantal are blessed.

Wishing "Wes is the Best", Chantal and ALL of ZagNation the best of health life has to offer. Count your blessings.

gu03alum
03-04-2015, 06:05 AM
Byron Wesley has been everything I hoped he could be and more. He is the missing link that put this team over the top. I look forward to him hitting some key shots and grabbing some important rebounds in the NCAA tournament.

CdAZagFan
03-04-2015, 06:38 AM
Thank you Chantal for posting! Byron has been one of my favorite players this year - always seems so composed, and when needed, aggressive on the court. I definitely wish he could spend a few more years with us - a quintessential Zag. It was great to hear him at Senior Night say that this was the best year of his life - Here's hoping he has a long ride to go here and finishes the season where no Zag team has finished before!

GonzaGAW
03-06-2015, 07:49 AM
we thank you, as we, coaches and university and fans, want young men of good character, those who will represent us well, those who like you, we can take pride in. we get all that with byron.

hope to see you in vegas

SWZag
03-10-2015, 05:34 AM
I'm not sure how I missed this thread/note! Outstanding post! Byron deserves a lot of credit also for being willing to sacrifice points and playing time to fit into the Zags plan. I have been extremely impressed with his attitude and demeanor. Great asset for the GU community and one who'll represent the University well! I, as a fan, couldn't be happier.

Thanks for posting! We've had a couple other parents post in the past and it's a treat to read each one.

SteelCityZag
03-10-2015, 08:18 AM
Dear Mrs. Wesley,

Thank you for your open letter. You, alongside every GU parent, have sent your very best to us: your son. The least we can do is appreciate that fact, that you have put your heart and faith in a place you weren't familiar with. It is a blessing And I am so pleased that this blessing has worked out for you as well as it has for GU. We are lucky to have Byron, not only as an excellent ball player, but more importantly as a member of this community. And we are lucky to have you, as well.

Thank you, again, for your words, and for sending us Byron, who we know that you hold precious and dear. He will always be a Zag, and that means a great deal to all of us in this community.

timgozags
03-10-2015, 09:31 AM
Great letter! Thank you!

Dogtownkid
03-11-2015, 06:23 PM
Mrs. Wesley, thanks so much for the gift of your letter and even more for the gift of your son. I got kind of teary when I read that Byron said this has been the best year of his life. Classy guy and a great player!

GrizZAG
04-15-2015, 02:59 PM
It's mid-April now and I am just seeing this thread somehow. I'm a regular but somehow missed it. Better late than never though!

I had on my signature "Bow to Sir Byron" all season long. Why, because of everything all these Zag family have expressed about him as well as my own perspective. Truthfully I was giddy when I learned he was coming to Gonzaga. I knew of him at USC and felt like a kid who just got the keys to the candy store. He lived up the hype in every way and more. He was my favorite player this year because of the way he carries himself. Now I know why he does mom. Good job!

Nothing wrong with an elite 8 and only losing in the tourney to the eventual championship team. Byron is a huge part of why we got there. Keep us posted on where our man goes and what he does. Thanks for loaning him to us :)
We will miss him greatly.