PDA

View Full Version : Polls 03-2-15 Usa Zags #7 Ap #7

flytiezag
03-02-2015, 10:17 AM
Usa Zags #7 Ap #7 http://www.cbssports.com/collegebasketball/rankings

DixieZag
03-02-2015, 10:27 AM
Sounds right.

Actually, I thought we'd go to 9 or so. I thought voters were sort of looking for an opportunity to stick us back around 10ish.

I don't like hanging in that 7-9 area b/c that puts us into the "Fourth 2nd seed" country, and up against UK.

I am fine with "just go out and beat whoever...." attitude by the team. Just for me, if there is any way to the FF without going against UK, that is preferable.

krozman
03-02-2015, 10:29 AM
I'd be fine in Duke's bracket, if I had to choose.....although it'd be nice to actually get to that elite 8 match.

gonzagafan62
03-02-2015, 10:30 AM
Good stay in two seed range. Win the WCC tournament and make some noise in the big one.

Don't care who we play. lets get it on.

TexasZagFan
03-02-2015, 10:31 AM
Mildly surprised. I was expecting 9 or 10, with a bounce back to 6-7 before Selection Sunday.

But what do I know?

Zagdawg
03-02-2015, 10:58 AM
That works-- may get a chance to bump up a bit if we take care of business -- would rather be a middle of the road 2 and stay in the West if possible.

Hoopaholic
03-02-2015, 11:03 AM
accurate and fair IMO

TexasZag
03-02-2015, 11:05 AM
It's really hard to argue with either of these polls. Everybody above them has been playing good ball of-late.

zagzilla
03-02-2015, 11:15 AM
Lots of big games still to play among all the contenders. This week's poll is pretty meaningless despite being near the end of the season because it more likely to change week over week than typical mid-season polls.

Why? Because every single Top 10 team will have multiple opportunities for good wins/bad losses in the next 13 days. How that shakes out will determine where we/they land. We need to win 3 in a row and get some help if we want to stay on the 2 line out west. We could even see a 3 seed despite 2 losses, IMO. That's what an RPI of 9 calls for.

Here's a question: Would you rather be the top 3 seed and play in the West or a 2 seed anywhere else? The 2 plays the 3 in the E8 either way if the seeds hold.

ZZ

Zagceo
03-02-2015, 11:52 AM
Lots of big games still to play among all the contenders. This week's poll is pretty meaningless despite being near the end of the season because it more likely to change week over week than typical mid-season polls.

Why? Because every single Top 10 team will have multiple opportunities for good wins/bad losses in the next 13 days. How that shakes out will determine where we/they land. We need to win 3 in a row and get some help if we want to stay on the 2 line out west. We could even see a 3 seed despite 2 losses, IMO. That's what an RPI of 9 calls for.

Here's a question: Would you rather be the top 3 seed and play in the West or a 2 seed anywhere else? The 2 plays the 3 in the E8 either way if the seeds hold.

ZZ

In my world teams would all play in the closest regions to their schools so fans could see them play. I don't care about rankings I only care about seeing my team play in person. Makes Final Four have broader appeal to national audience also with teams from all over the country instead of 4 teams from the east coast. Never happen but thats my wish.

75Zag
03-02-2015, 11:56 AM
At this point the only thing that I care about is that GU not do a "cluster cluck" (in the second instance, cl=f) and lose before the WCC finals - which would potentially make them play somewhere other than Portland or Seattle. Otherwise, let's give the GU nation a reason to cheer and get the job done and get to the Sweet 16.

Amen.

Go Bulldogs!

Zagceo
03-02-2015, 12:00 PM
At this point the only thing that I care about is that GU not do a "cluster cluck" and lose before the WCC finals - which would potentially make them play somewhere other than Portland or Seattle. Otherwise, let's give the GU nation a reason to cheer and get the job done and get to the Sweet 16.
Amen.
Go Bulldogs!

Then you don't subscribe to those on the board claiming anytime anywhere bring it on?

gonzagafan62
03-02-2015, 12:01 PM
Then you don't subscribe to those on the board claiming anytime anywhere bring it on?

I believe he's going to Portland/Seattle games in person Ceo.

adoptedzag
03-02-2015, 12:02 PM

He might have tickets for the Seattle and/or PDX pods ;)

Zagceo
03-02-2015, 12:03 PM
As I do to Staples ;)

MDABE80
03-02-2015, 12:20 PM
They put a LOT of distance between s and a 2 or 3 ranking. There will be more defeats of the 4 ahead of us. It's always happens. We win and we move up again. We've simply GOT to return to agressive basketball like the first half of the year. I'm really not sure what's happened but the symptoms are on the court. It very well might be that other teams simply improved and are play their best ball of the season while we kinda deterioated. I hope what we're seeing is reversible. Same kids, same coach........so crank it up. Jetison the problems.

As to defense, Gary Bell has consistently done a spectacular job on the best scorers facing us. Johnny Dee was completely stopped. Hawes didn't do much better. In a word, Gary's not scoring like I think he should BUT he's stopping 20 ppg scorers. He is essential. I just love this kid.
My suspcion is what we already know. If Kevin has a has an athletic tough kid glued to him, he's in trouble. If he's in trouble, the bigs are in trouble Karno is still lumbering. Kyle and Domas are top notch play if they can get the ball.

We can still roll to a deeper run if the pieces are put back together.
Winning the WCC tournament means a lot to us bet the media's done a fine job on denigrating the league. Winning the crown might mean very little with all the brainwashing that's been done.
Our job is to win games. Simple. Just win games. WCC crown and then the NCAA's. Our only real saving option though, is the NCAA and a deep run. In some ways we are demeaned by associatiion with WCC. If that's true, our only option is to kill teams in that NCAA tournament. I hope we do. We battled back from the AZ loss at their place. It's harder to battle back from another 3 pt loss when the media thinks your opponents aren't worth much. And THAT's the heart of the campaign against the Zags.

Few's got a job ahead of him and he must do that in a very short period. I'm behind him and the team. It's quite a hill though.

Kiddwell
03-02-2015, 12:22 PM
The guys need to use that #7 as motivation. A killer instinct is needed from now onward. The same type of "we're not gonna lose" attitude that BYU played with on Saturday. Crazy focused; not playing to "not lose"; rather, playing to rip the other team's arms and legs off.

:boxing: Starting with the WCC tourney. :boxing:

:[

<BYU's at #30. Good for WCC's chance to get two into NCAA Dance.>

jazzdelmar
03-02-2015, 12:48 PM
Impossible now to move up. What, by beating Pacific by single digits? Pepp? Please. There are more popular teams behind GU, such as KU and WSU, and it's far more likely that if they win out they will pass GU before SS. This has always been the tricky deal for GU: Get a high rating in the OOC, climb during the WCC as BCS teams whip up on each other, then coast home. This year the coast has been mined. No. 7 is the max from here on during the RS.

rennis
03-02-2015, 12:48 PM
<BYU's at #30. Good for WCC's chance to get two into NCAA Dance.>

Came here to say that it's nice to see BYU getting some votes. Won't mean much if it comes down to them needing an at large, but they deserve some votes, that is a good basketball team. Better than SMU, in my opinion.

Sarenyon
03-02-2015, 01:03 PM
As of today:
Zags BPI: 4 RPI: 9
BYU BPI: 25 RPI: 39

BYU's numbers sure did improve, especially RPI, while our RPI only dropped 1 point.

Jakester425
03-02-2015, 02:10 PM
As of today:
Zags BPI: 4 RPI: 9
BYU BPI: 25 RPI: 39

BYU's numbers sure did improve, especially RPI, while our RPI only dropped 1 point.

Who would have thought our resume would improve by losing...beat BYU in the conference tourney and thats two RPI Top 50 wins we didnt have last week. (Counting our win @BYU as well)

Zagdawg
03-02-2015, 02:20 PM
Few is a genius........;)

JPtheBeasta
03-02-2015, 02:53 PM
They put a LOT of distance between s and a 2 or 3 ranking. There will be more defeats of the 4 ahead of us. It's always happens. We win and we move up again. We've simply GOT to return to agressive basketball like the first half of the year. I'm really not sure what's happened but the symptoms are on the court. It very well might be that other teams simply improved and are play their best ball of the season while we kinda deterioated. I hope what we're seeing is reversible. Same kids, same coach........so crank it up. Jetison the problems.

As to defense, Gary Bell has consistently done a spectacular job on the best scorers facing us. Johnny Dee was completely stopped. Hawes didn't do much better. In a word, Gary's not scoring like I think he should BUT he's stopping 20 ppg scorers. He is essential. I just love this kid.
My suspcion is what we already know. If Kevin has a has an athletic tough kid glued to him, he's in trouble. If he's in trouble, the bigs are in trouble Karno is still lumbering. Kyle and Domas are top notch play if they can get the ball.

We can still roll to a deeper run if the pieces are put back together.
Winning the WCC tournament means a lot to us bet the media's done a fine job on denigrating the league. Winning the crown might mean very little with all the brainwashing that's been done.
Our job is to win games. Simple. Just win games. WCC crown and then the NCAA's. Our only real saving option though, is the NCAA and a deep run. In some ways we are demeaned by associatiion with WCC. If that's true, our only option is to kill teams in that NCAA tournament. I hope we do. We battled back from the AZ loss at their place. It's harder to battle back from another 3 pt loss when the media thinks your opponents aren't worth much. And THAT's the heart of the campaign against the Zags.

Few's got a job ahead of him and he must do that in a very short period. I'm behind him and the team. It's quite a hill though.

Hopefully we won't have to face many more 6'5" point guards.

JPtheBeasta
03-02-2015, 02:55 PM
Who would have thought our resume would improve by losing...beat BYU in the conference tourney and thats two RPI Top 50 wins we didnt have last week. (Counting our win @BYU as well)

That's awesome :]

rennis
03-02-2015, 03:03 PM

Amen.

Robzagnut
03-02-2015, 04:10 PM
7 is perfect.

Much better than losing in the WCC tourney and falling without time to move up. Plenty of time for Virginia, Wisconsin, Duke and Arizona to each lose a game. Just need to take care of business in the WCC tourney.

Two years ago GU had 3 losses and was a #1 seed. Can't see why they shouldn't be a #1 seed with only 2 losses.

229SintoZag
03-02-2015, 04:25 PM
7 is perfect.

Much better than losing in the WCC tourney and falling without time to move up. Plenty of time for Virginia, Wisconsin, Duke and Arizona to each lose a game. Just need to take care of business in the WCC tourney.

Two years ago GU had 3 losses and was a #1 seed. Can't see why they shouldn't be a #1 seed with only 2 losses.

Actually when GU was a 1 seed they had two losses (Illinois at home, at Butler). The third loss was in the tournament to Wichita State.

But whatever. Point stands. There are a lot of games to be played and I dont believe for a second that Gonzaga is out of the discussion for a 1 seed yet. It all depends not only on what Gonzaga does, but on what the others near us do or fail to do.

23dpg
03-02-2015, 04:27 PM
Gonzaga was a topic on PTI today.

Both Kornheiser and Wilbon were pretty fair.

Basically said Gonzaga wasn't out of consideration for a 1 seed due to BYU loss. A lot would need to happen probably but nothing outlandish.

RenoZag
03-02-2015, 06:14 PM

I thought it was an unwritten rule that all teams GU faces in the NCAA Tourney have at least two. . .

jazzdelmar
03-02-2015, 06:35 PM
I thought it was an unwritten rule that all teams GU faces in the NCAA Tourney have at least two. . .

Next year GU will have a bunch of their own, at last.

Zags11
03-02-2015, 08:23 PM
We will be fine. If not, well....its just a repeat television show. Zags and 32.

Robzagnut
03-02-2015, 10:36 PM
Gonzaga was a topic on PTI today.

Both Kornheiser and Wilbon were pretty fair.

Basically said Gonzaga wasn't out of consideration for a 1 seed due to BYU loss. A lot would need to happen probably but nothing outlandish.

They were also on The Dan Patrick's Show Best/Worst of the week. One of the Danettes had BYU winning in Spokane, breaking GU's home streak and playing themselves into the tourney as his best. Another Danette said his best was stolen by the other guy, so he switched and made his worst GU losing to BYU and losing a #1 seed.

National consciousness...

ZagsGoZags
03-03-2015, 01:46 AM
This time of year all the buzz is rankings, seedings, anticipation of March.
The Sports shows, this GUboard, the news, everybody and his cousin are talking past the last few games,
except how it impacts seeding, etc.
It is easy to see how our players can have a hard time ignoring it all. Almost all young men have dreams of glory, and to have glory showered on them already could make it hard to stay calm and focus.
I'll bet life seemed simpler in the Fall 14, when a SMU game, or some other game, was coming up in three days, and was the only buzz in town.

JPtheBeasta
03-03-2015, 07:30 AM

:]

I have been hearing* that Nunez has been running the offense in practice just for this contingency.

*In a sarcastic, haven't heard this at all, sort of way.

JPtheBeasta
03-03-2015, 07:35 AM
They were also on The Dan Patrick's Show Best/Worst of the week. One of the Danettes had BYU winning in Spokane, breaking GU's home streak and playing themselves into the tourney as his best. Another Danette said his best was stolen by the other guy, so he switched and made his worst GU losing to BYU and losing a #1 seed.

National consciousness...

It was a story made in basetball heaven. I suppose that I wasn't too emotionally rocked by the upset- don't get me wrong, I am still bothered by it- because I was preparing myself before hand for a BYU win. They just had so much to play for, and we were playing on Senior Night (I wish we would go back to playing a D-2 school or whatever we used to do so that the players can just enjoy the day, the bench seniors can start (when applicable) and the worst thing the players have to prepare are their post-game speeches).