PDA

View Full Version : Monday brackets

jazzdelmar
03-02-2015, 06:56 AM
#2 in the midwest, but w UK....still, a decent bracket

http://espn.go.com/ncb/bracketology

TexasZagFan
03-02-2015, 07:05 AM
Lots of basketball to be played between now and Selection Sunday. The next four weeks (through the Sweet 16 weekend) is now my favorite time of the year.

We need a rematch with BYU, but SMC will have more to play for in Vegas.

DixieZag
03-02-2015, 07:14 AM
#2 in the midwest, but w UK....still, a decent bracket

http://espn.go.com/ncb/bracketology

FF jail. This was the nightmare about a loss, and, given the committee's past history of favoring major conference, major population area teams, we best get used to the idea of sticking right there, no matter how many wins/losses go on all around us.

gonzagafan62
03-02-2015, 07:31 AM
You know what? I have started not to care. Wherever we go, whoever we must face, lets face. I don't care. To be the best, you must beat the best. Screw it. If that means taking on Kentucky in a possible EE game, so be it. Go Zags!

JAGzag
03-02-2015, 07:41 AM
You know what? I have started not to care. Wherever we go, whoever we must face, lets face. I don't care. To be the best, you must beat the best. Screw it. If that means taking on Kentucky in a possible EE game, so be it. Go Zags!

Anyone else happy with just making it to the E8 again after all the recent Tourney disappointments? I'd be delighted.

Zag_Dad
03-02-2015, 07:58 AM
Anyone else happy with just making it to the E8 again after all the recent Tourney disappointments? I'd be delighted.

Elite Eight is the baseline as for my expectations. My hope/dreams are FF or National Championship. Then again, that is what I thought in 2013 too.

This weekend can't get here soon enough, looking forward to witnessing three victories at the Orleans and would love a rematch against BYU in te title game.

TexasZagFan
03-02-2015, 07:59 AM

I like your attitude. Much better than the hand wringing on this board over the past couple of weeks. It's a long season, and we've been in the valley since we beat Memphis, a team that's struggling this year.

CdAZagFan
03-02-2015, 08:00 AM

That's the attitude the Zags must have - to be the best, you have to beat the best.

Was watching ESPN last night and see that Lunardi still has BYU as first four out - even though I don't like them much, I do want them to get in and I would cheer for them there.

Reborn
03-02-2015, 08:29 AM
One thing to remember about Joe Lundardi is that although he has been very good at predicting who will be in the NCAA tournament, he has not fared so well in predicting the seeds for the 64 teams and who teams will play. The best approach to take in viewing Lunardi's brackets is to look at it/him as entertainment. It's fun and it gives us something to talk about as we trudge the road leading to the NCAA Tournament.

My memory of what the committee has done in past years (and I admit my memory seems to be getting a little worse) is that they do not consider what conference the teams play in, and that they do seem to give favorable seeds to the mid-major teams, I think they take a long look at OOC games and who the teams have played in their out of conference schedule. Gonzaga, most likely will have beaten 4 teams (I'm counting UCLA because I believe they will be in the top 50 by the end of the year) in the top 50 in their out of conference schedule. And they played Arizona and was beaten in overtime. Arizona is the 5th ranked team currently. I believe the Committee also looks how teams did on the road because Road victories are the toughest. Gonzaga has an excellent road record with only one loss to Arizona. They have really good wins on the road at St John's in Madison Square Garden, Georgia in Madison Square Garden, UCLA in LA, BYU in Provo and St Mary's in Moraga. Gonzaaga has no bad losses, which is also something that is important to the NCAA Committee.

Because of what has happened in the past I am pretty positive that Gonzaga will be given a good seed in a good region. It is possible that Arizona will receive the #1 Seed in the West, and GU the #2. I don't think that either Wisconsin or Villanova would want to go out West to play in that Region. And, imo, Kansas should be the fourh #2 seed and not Gonzaga. After all, Gonzaga has only lost 2 games, which is tied with Villanova for the 3rd best record in Div 1 basketball. I don't think the Committee is going to like Villanova's OOC schedule. I feel strongly that Arizona has a better resume then Villanova and will get the 1 seed in the West if they win out, which they should. And like others have said, there is a lot of basketball to be played.

Go Zags!!!
One game at a time!

Go Zags!!!

23dpg
03-02-2015, 09:05 AM
One thing to remember about Joe Lundardi is that although he has been very good at predicting who will be in the NCAA tournament, he has not fared so well in predicting the seeds for the 64 teams and who teams will play. The best approach to take in viewing Lunardi's brackets is to look at it/him as entertainment. It's fun and it gives us something to talk about as we trudge the road leading to the NCAA Tournament.

My memory of what the committee has done in past years (and I admit my memory seems to be getting a little worse) is that they do not consider what conference the teams play in, and that they do seem to give favorable seeds to the mid-major teams, I think they take a long look at OOC games and who the teams have played in their out of conference schedule. Gonzaga, most likely will have beaten 4 teams (I'm counting UCLA because I believe they will be in the top 50 by the end of the year) in the top 50 in their out of conference schedule. And they played Arizona and was beaten in overtime. Arizona is the 5th ranked team currently. I believe the Committee also looks how teams did on the road because Road victories are the toughest. Gonzaga has an excellent road record with only one loss to Arizona. They have really good wins on the road at St John's in Madison Square Garden, Georgia in Madison Square Garden, UCLA in LA, BYU in Provo and St Mary's in Moraga. Gonzaaga has no bad losses, which is also something that is important to the NCAA Committee.

Because of what has happened in the past I am pretty positive that Gonzaga will be given a good seed in a good region. It is possible that Arizona will receive the #1 Seed in the West, and GU the #2. I don't think that either Wisconsin or Villanova would want to go out West to play in that Region. And, imo, Kansas should be the fourh #2 seed and not Gonzaga. After all, Gonzaga has only lost 2 games, which is tied with Villanova for the 3rd best record in Div 1 basketball. I don't think the Committee is going to like Villanova's OOC schedule. I feel strongly that Arizona has a better resume then Villanova and will get the 1 seed in the West if they win out, which they should. And like others have said, there is a lot of basketball to be played.

Go Zags!!!
One game at a time!

Go Zags!!!

+1
Well said and I agree with your prediction.
I'm 29 wins happy today, not 2 losses miserable.

Reborn
03-02-2015, 09:27 AM
I'm happy to see that we agree. I was looking at the BPI ranking system and it still has us as the 4th place, just ahead of Arizona at 5. I have liked the BPI all year, and really believe it's a much better way in analyzing a team. IMO, Gonzaga just had a loss to a good team. You can say that about Duke, Wisconsin, Villanova, Arizona, Kansas, ect. These teams were not punished the way Lunardi just to Gonzaga. It will be very interesting to see what the Committee does in two weeks.

Go Zags!!!

GonzagasaurusFlex
03-02-2015, 09:32 AM
Whoops...I posted the following on the wrong thread so re-posting here re: Lunardi's current bracket predictions:

If Zags could make it to Elite 8, I will be thrilled and don't even mind them playing Kentucky there for a trip to the Final Four on the line...no pressure, underdog role etc.

What has me most worried about Lunardi's bracket if it proves accurate, would be a potential game with San Diego State (#7 seed) in the round of 32 or West Virginia (#6 seed, who I think would beat Notre Dame..the #2 seed) in the Sweet 16. Both SDSU and WVU are teams that are, imho, bad matchups for Gonzaga...very athletic, pressure D type teams.

Time will tell....win WCC tourney with some dominating performances and I think Zags will be a better #2 seed thus not in Kentucky's region. If AZ loses a game and Zags win out, perhaps we regain the #2 seed out West...that's best case scenario seeding wise at this point.

Hoopaholic
03-02-2015, 09:38 AM
Whoops...I posted the following on the wrong thread so re-posting here re: Lunardi's current bracket predictions:

did you watch Boise state dismantle SDSU at SDSU campus the other day. THey controlled the entire game...was only second time I had seen SDSU and both times I thought they are good but nothing overly special

any game in S16 is going to be good basketball

seacatfan
03-02-2015, 10:54 AM
SDSU is always good on D and rebounds well. This year they struggle to score. They miss their PG from last year Xavier Thames, nobody close to him on their roster this year in terms of just being able to go out and get you a bucket when you need it.

WVU...meh. They look really good at times, but they've been inconsistent. GU has owned WVU since Huggy Bear has been the coach. Their PG Staten is a player the Zags might have trouble containing.

Notre Dame scares me more than either of those other 2. Bombing 3's from all over the court and a great player like Grant leading the charge.

ValencyLovesZagsInAtlanta
03-02-2015, 05:07 PM

or Nova loses a couple more knocking them off the 1 line in deference to Zona with Zags as the 2 in the West....I'm rooting for Cuse now also but it aint going well.

03-02-2015, 05:11 PM
FF jail. This was the nightmare about a loss, and, given the committee's past history of favoring major conference, major population area teams, we best get used to the idea of sticking right there, no matter how many wins/losses go on all around us.

There is still time for things to get better. It is a good bracket other than the elephant in the room.

DixieZag
03-02-2015, 05:30 PM
There is still time for things to get better. It is a good bracket other than the elephant in the room.

Truth.

03-03-2015, 08:56 AM
Truth.

It took a while for me to come around to Kentucky being what they are portrayed to be by the media. Mostly because I can't stand (hate is to strong of a word I guess) anything Kentucky. After they dismantled Arkansas and made them look like a team who got their girl scout cookies stolen from them ( I have seen that picture before) I became a reluctant believer. I almost think it is better they go into the tourney unbeaten. They could slip up anytime but...