PDA

View Full Version : Zags fall. A lot more than I thought. 25 and 1.

MDABE80
03-01-2015, 06:48 PM
http://www.cbssports.com/collegebasketball/eye-on-college-basketball/25086123/zags-fall-to-7th-in-top-25-and-one

gonzagafan62
03-01-2015, 06:55 PM
That's about what I thinking. I wish they would stop trying to rank ohio state though.

hooter73
03-01-2015, 06:56 PM
While I disagree with a 4 spot slide, 7-10 is probably where weve always belonged.

Mr Vulture
03-01-2015, 06:57 PM
Looks about right to me frankly. Duke, Villanova, and Wisconsin all had good weeks and wins. It's hard to argue versus Arizona since they beat us and have been playing very well the past couple of weeks. Regardless, it all gets settled on the court in March...

FuManShoes
03-01-2015, 07:16 PM
While I disagree with a 4 spot slide, 7-10 is probably where we've always belonged.

Quoted for truth. Let's face it: The Zags were ranked where they were because they hadn't lost-lost a game. The AZ result was viewed as a moral victory given it was on the road agains a top 5 team in OT. Now the Zags have really "lost" for the first time, and at home to a bubble team at that, and after playing with fire for weeks. They deserve to fall. Now it's on them to rise again.

doctorzag
03-01-2015, 07:24 PM
Looks about right to me frankly. Duke, Villanova, and Wisconsin all had good weeks and wins. It's hard to argue versus Arizona since they beat us and have been playing very well the past couple of weeks. Regardless, it all gets settled on the court in March...

Wisconsin lost on Tuesday to Maryland but moved up a spot. Kansas with six losses and lose to a bad Kansas State team stay at 8????

gonzagafan62
03-01-2015, 07:28 PM
Wisconsin lost on Tuesday to Maryland but moved up a spot. Kansas with six losses and lose to a bad Kansas State team stay at 8????

Names on jerseys. lol

gonzagafan62
03-01-2015, 07:31 PM
Names on jerseys. lol

Btw I can't remember what zag it was maybe Gourde or someone cool, but they said something to the effect of "when you take the name off the jersey and take the lore out of the game of basketball, that's what it becomes ... Just a game." That's what our team needs to focus on these next ten days or so. We really need to start working on taking the names of the jerseys and playing basketball

Outraged
03-01-2015, 07:36 PM
I really dont care what they think because I know if KW's last shot went in they would be saying something completely different. They would be buying us the cool aide by the pitcher. Its amazing how much the analysis can change so dramatically whether one crazy shot goes in or doesn't. The fact is there is more than one team in this conference that can win a few games in the tournament and I pitty the team that gets a low seeded WCC team in the tournament. The bottom line is the WCC got another team in the tournament and big coference team has to stay home or play in Wyoming. One seed two seed the WCC just went ching ching. Thats where the money is.

Larrylegend
03-01-2015, 08:37 PM
Hello to a 2 seed in Kentucky's bracket.

WallaWallaZag
03-01-2015, 10:04 PM
Hello to a 2 seed in Kentucky's bracket.

the way the zags are playing they would be lucky to get a chance to play kentucky in the elite eight.

Ezag
03-01-2015, 10:12 PM
the way the zags are playing they would be lucky to get a chance to play kentucky in the elite eight.

You are assuming we will win the first 3 games

WallaWallaZag
03-01-2015, 10:15 PM
You are assuming we will win the first 3 games

??? my point was that if the zags don't play better it won't matter if they are in kentucky's pod...they won't get to elite eight.

Reborn
03-01-2015, 10:24 PM
I pretty much felt they'd be at 7. We are playing in the lowly WCC didn't you know (being sarcastic just in case some of you readers couldn't tell).
The country is happy now and Gonzaga can forget the media now and refocus on playing basketball like a Zag.

Go Zags!!!

Seattle Hoo
03-01-2015, 11:00 PM
Names on jerseys. lol

Wisconsin lost @Maryland, which is a top 15 team that has only lost one game at home all season, to #2 Virginia.

MDABE80
03-01-2015, 11:08 PM
I agree with reborn. Shut everything out, rebuild the momentum.........and some defensive schemes too. Toughen up and don't let anybody even get close. Kevin..get a haircut.;)< I'm supertitious about changes when you're winning.

doctorzag
03-01-2015, 11:14 PM
Wisconsin lost @Maryland, which is a top 15 team that has only lost one game at home all season, to #2 Virginia.

Still counts as a loss just like our OT loss to a top 6 team that has lost zero home games in the last two seasons.

gonzagafan62
03-02-2015, 05:18 AM

They also lost at home to duke

JPtheBeasta
03-02-2015, 05:55 AM
Perhaps the idiot fans of other teams can shut up about us now. No more white noise and the focus can be on basketball. I would love to think that the players are able to ignore all of this stuff, but they are humans and plugged into social media and what have you. Hopefully this will end all of the distractions.

jazzdelmar
03-02-2015, 05:57 AM
http://www.wsj.com/articles/gonzaga-when-a-weak-schedule-finally-turns-tough-1425252791

VaBeachZAG
03-02-2015, 06:28 AM
http://www.wsj.com/articles/gonzaga-when-a-weak-schedule-finally-turns-tough-1425252791

The never ending drone that GU's perennially weak schedule (meaning WCC schedule) will result in an early exit from the Tourney can only be silenced in one way, deep Tourney runs! All the gnashing of teeth by Zag nation over this is for naught; you want to see it end, then the Zags must start making deep runs. Otherwise, trying to rationalize why the critics are wrong is a total waste of time (e.g., in the eyes of critics, Maryland's win over Wisconsin is in no way comparable to GU's loss to lowly BYU). Whine and cry all you want, nothing is going to change without deep runs (and I'm not talking about diarrhea). Life isn't always fair, big deal!

TravelinZag
03-02-2015, 06:34 AM
If seedings corresponded to rankings, a #7 seed would translate to the third #2 seed, playing near home for the first weekend, then probably not in the west bracket. But there is no correlation. Perhaps my memory is selective, but it seems Zags' seed is never above, and rarely equal to their ranking. Often, the seed is lower. What is the history? Given the history, what is the full range of possible seeds depending on whether the Zags win the WCC tourney, or lose in their first, second or third (championship) game. The dance invitation is a lock. The seed, locations and opponents are up in the air. My guess is that there will be significant consequences if the Zags lose another game, but little difference based on which game they might lose.

Don't expect any loses from this team in the WCC tourney. Just curious about the history, and preparing for the full range of consequences. What's that history, and what does it tell us, number crunchers?

WallaWallaZag
03-02-2015, 06:58 AM

certainly a logical explanation, though i would be interested to see how teams did relative to their kenpom efficiency rankings rather than sos numbers.

TexasZagFan
03-02-2015, 07:11 AM
Perhaps the idiot fans of other teams can shut up about us now. No more white noise and the focus can be on basketball. I would love to think that the players are able to ignore all of this stuff, but they are humans and plugged into social media and what have you. Hopefully this will end all of the distractions.

We're off the radar screen for now. Time for the Zags to refocus, turn off Twitter, and go into Vegas with a chip on their shoulders. I want more Clubber Lang, less Chuck E. Cheese.

Zag_Dad
03-02-2015, 08:30 AM
I hate losing and hated the fact that this loss occurred at home on Senior night, however, the team has been flirting with a loss for a couple weeks now. Hopefully we still get placed in Seattle and hopefully we start to refocus on what we were doing so well that got us 29 wins.

I think Gonzaga is going to be very tough for any team outside the WCC to prepare for. They won't have the history and familiarity and they won't have time to prepare. I still believe we will make it to the Elite Eight at least. If we get placed in Kentucky pod... bear down and do this!

GO ZAGS!

Mr Vulture
03-02-2015, 10:45 AM
Yeah...the Zags are playing terrible...they only won 18 or 19 games in a row. They beat their last four opponents before BYU by 8, 12, 10, and 20 pts. Further, they lost to BYU, who is 25 in the BPI by 3 pts on a night where Wiltjer, Pangos, and Bell combined to shoot 6 for 29...let's get some perspective on here. GOOD LORD!

BullHurley
03-02-2015, 04:30 PM
They also lost at home to duke
Wisconsin also lost to Rutgers.

CDC84
03-02-2015, 04:34 PM
Yeah, but that Rutgers loss was without Kaminsky, and for 50% of the game, without their starting PG. I'm not saying the committee will give Wisconsin a totally free pass, put it's not going to hurt as much as it appears on paper.

Bogozags
03-03-2015, 02:10 PM
I believe with out any doubt, if GU wins the WCC Tournament we will be the two seed in the West. The RPI is wacko with KU ranked second...just like the entire B12 being ranked so strong! The Zags just need to take care of business...if we were the #1 out west, then the one loss to a rising top 30 school won't knock us out of the west. If AZ wins the PAC12 they will be #1 in the West and we will be the two seed. Villanova will be the two seed in the east, KU the two in the midwest and either Duke or UVA the two in the east.

HenneZag
03-03-2015, 02:15 PM
I also believe if we win the WCC we will be a #2 seed in the West. I will be in Vegas to watch and am looking forward to how the boys respond.