PDA

View Full Version : where was the mid game tactical changes

Hoopaholic
03-01-2015, 08:52 AM
as it became apparent what byu's game plan was..driving to basket with 4 guards , this was specifically designed to go at wiltjer at the same time opening the lanes up for offensive rebounds and second chance points

on offense it became apparent they were sucking up to wings, dropping off at free throw line to prevent our hi low option

we saw no adjustments and that beffudled me....

why did we not go with our 3-2 zone...this removes the curl screen for hawes keeps our bigs on the court to rebound and provides defenders for 3 ball.....

why did we not go with double low blocks with wiltjer at free throw line.....creates triangles everywhere and no way can they sag off to take away hi low

maybe saving for post season?

jazzdelmar
03-01-2015, 08:58 AM
Wesley has been unguarded outside the paint last five games. Wonder why that isn't addressed w Mac or even Melson.

Hoopaholic
03-01-2015, 09:00 AM
Wesley has been unguarded outside the paint last five games. Wonder why that isn't addressed w Mac or even Melson.

played melson for short time and he hit 3 ball top of key, then never saw court again

jazzdelmar
03-01-2015, 09:02 AM
played melson for short time and he hit 3 ball top of key, then never saw court again

Wes delivered in the second half but still seeing that he is unguarded brings back bad memories of Hart and Stocks and Meech. Just a Zag tradition I guess.

Zagceo
03-01-2015, 09:03 AM

maybe due to 4pt play he caused with bad foul……just saying

Hoopaholic
03-01-2015, 09:07 AM
maybe due to 4pt play he caused with bad foul……just saying

so penalize freshman for single mistake....ouch not exactly an inspiring philosophy

he busted his butt to rotate to open player and get hand up...i am sure he did not expect a leg extension by the shooter

jazzdelmar
03-01-2015, 09:10 AM
so penalize freshman for single mistake....ouch not exactly an inspiring philosophy

he busted his butt to rotate to open player and get hand up...i am sure he did not expect a leg extension by the shooter

That's the traditional approach, though

Zagceo
03-01-2015, 09:11 AM

I didn't say I agreed with it but you do believe thats Fews MO.

Thats the only explanation I have for not playing Silas a lot more last night.

ZagLawGrad
03-01-2015, 09:13 AM
Zags should have stayed with their game. Instead, they let BYU dictate personnel. Crazy. Zags should have been the team forcing BYU to play the Zags' game.

Therunner
03-01-2015, 09:14 AM
the lack of defensive adjustments has been silly the past few games.

We've made necessary lineup changes, yet nothing schematically, which will get us eaten alive come post-season*.

great teams/coaches will take advantage of our full-time M2M defense. Coach Few has endlessly praised our man d this season, even openly sharing his shock when its not working in post-game interviews.

Oddly and/or ironically enough, our best defensive games have been when we mixed things up b/w our above average zone w/bigs and M2M.

Keeps our guys fresh as well.

BYU switched defenses no less than 5 times last night and, guess what, it worked!

Few's stubbornness was on full force vs BYU...until it was too late with his 4 guard attack, which helped defensively yet killed us on rebounds.

Coach Few isn't saving anything for post-season, very unlike him, he'll try to play our starters 39.5 minutes if the game is within 8 pts, be too fearful of zone, changing things up, playing a hot hand (Mac or Silas), overworking Pangos, underworking others, and another 2nd Round exit.

**Hate to say it, feel like I'm flaming, yet all signs point to early exit, especially with Few's lack of tactical adjustments DURING the game. He was forced -- by default -- to go with Mac late, yet would be nice to see Sabonis earlier, Mac more often, Silas play through hustle mistakes, and resting KP a tad bit more, not to mention get on Wiltjer's butt when he's simply not defending, not even a little bit.

Zagceo
03-01-2015, 09:16 AM
Zags should have stayed with their game. Instead, they let BYU dictate personnel. Crazy. Zags should have been the team forcing BYU to play the Zags' game.

What did BYU do to cause Kyle & Kevin to shoot 5-23? Serious question

ZagLawGrad
03-01-2015, 09:19 AM

Our game is the bigs in the key. Sabonis, KW and PK are pretty formidable inside. They will get their points and rebound, but without them in the game it looked to me like BYU had way too much fun under the basket with the smaller lineups.

Hoopaholic
03-01-2015, 09:20 AM

add in bell and we are 6-27

rest of our team 19-30

byu defense did not force most of those misses....ie wide open feet set 3 ball that doesnt even touch rim

23dpg
03-01-2015, 09:25 AM
This thread is close to evolving into the meltdown that was envisioned last night.

I'll keep it brief.
I disagree with the op.
Love Silas but he wasn't playing that well. Thought EMac brought more.
Few was a genius vs SMC and SD for mid game adjustments but now is stubborn?

Respectfully.

Hoopaholic
03-01-2015, 09:28 AM
This thread is close to evolving into the meltdown that was envisioned last night.

I'll keep it brief.
I disagree with the op.
Love Silas but he wasn't playing that well. Thought EMac brought more.
Few was a genius vs SMC and SD for mid game adjustments but now is stubborn?

Respectfully.

how can you say a player was not playing well with 5 minutes of bounce time? 1-1 1 rebound 1 assist and 1 foul in 5 minutes and you magically can say he was not playing well? can you tell me powerball numbers

23dpg
03-01-2015, 09:32 AM
how can you say a player was not playing well with 5 minutes of bounce time? 1-1 1 rebound 1 assist and 1 foul in 5 minutes and you magically can say he was not playing well? can you tell me powerball numbers

Again, I love Melson and think he has a bright future. But he has been playing like a freshman who hasn't had much court time, which of course he is. I think that EMac's experience and speed bring more to the Zags going forward this year. Nothing more than that.

siliconzag
03-01-2015, 09:34 AM

We've made necessary lineup changes, yet nothing schematically, which will get us eaten alive come post-season*.

great teams/coaches will take advantage of our full-time M2M defense. Coach Few has endlessly praised our man d this season, even openly sharing his shock when its not working in post-game interviews.

Oddly and/or ironically enough, our best defensive games have been when we mixed things up b/w our above average zone w/bigs and M2M.

BYU switched defenses no less than 5 times last night and, guess what, it worked!

Few's stubbornness was on full force vs BYU...until it was too late with his 4 guard attack, which helped defensively yet killed us on rebounds.

Coach Few isn't saving anything for post-season, very unlike him, he'll try to play our starters 39.5 minutes if the game is within 8 pts, be too fearful of zone, changing things up, playing a hot hand (Mac or Silas), overworking Pangos, underworking others, and another 2nd Round exit.

**Hate to say it, feel like I'm flaming, yet all signs point to early exit, especially with Few's lack of tactical adjustments DURING the game. He was forced -- by default -- to go with Mac late, yet would be nice to see Sabonis earlier, Mac more often, Silas play through hustle mistakes, and resting KP a tad bit more, not to mention get on Wiltjer's butt when he's simply not defending, not even a little bit.

While some may regard your post as hyperbolic, I would not. I have not read many posts about mental preparedness. People talk about how important it is to maintain intensity and focus. The Zags played without a sense of urgency when a comeback was possible. What concerned me most, is the apparent lack of fire. We got punched in the face, and it was if the guys, said, "whatever, dude." It has been my contention that what is missing from the coaching staff is this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NmY7ttVNiWo

CdAZagFan
03-01-2015, 09:34 AM
I thought the adjustments the last few games have been great... I too wish they would have made BYU pay on the inside by letting the bigs stay in. I really think if Sabonis and Karno just hit that free-throw line jumper a lot of that BYU defense changes. Am really hoping to see Sabonis unleash a mid-range game next season to go along with his post play (in watching his European clips, I know he has that in his arsenal).

Hoopaholic
03-01-2015, 09:35 AM
Again, I love Melson and think he has a bright future. But he has been playing like a freshman who hasn't had much court time, which of course he is. I think that EMac's experience and speed bring more to the Zags going forward this year. Nothing more than that.

that is different than your original post that he was not playing well,

melsons court time has been cut in half over last 5 games from 10 minutes to 5 minutes

agree mc is looking positive but only saw 9 minutes

Birddog
03-01-2015, 09:41 AM

melsons court time has been cut in half over last 5 games from 10 minutes to 5 minutes

McC is getting some of Melson's minutes I think.

23dpg
03-01-2015, 09:41 AM

Emphasize the word "that" in my first post and it might make the meaning more clear. I didn't think it was just a case of make a mistake and get yanked.

Hoopaholic
03-01-2015, 09:49 AM
Emphasize the word "that" in my first post and it might make the meaning more clear. I didn't think it was just a case of make a mistake and get yanked.

ok we can agree to disagree

making your shot, getting a rebound and getting an assist in only 5 minutes of play indicates to me someone who is dialed in and playing well.....projects out to 16 points, 8 rebounds and 8 assists if played same for 40 minutes.......thats playing well in my book

Zagceo
03-01-2015, 09:50 AM
While some may regard your post as hyperbolic, I would not. I have not read many posts about mental preparedness. People talk about how important it is to maintain intensity and focus. The Zags played without a sense of urgency when a comeback was possible. What concerned me most, is the apparent lack of fire. We got punched in the face, and it was if the guys, said, "whatever, dude." It has been my contention that what is missing from the coaching staff is this:

Worked 75 years a go…………. todays athlete has been trained to trim emotion out of their game so they focus on the next play. Zen like if you know what I mean.

Sabonis is the throwback. I loved his scream lying on his back after his And 1 play! He's Calvery without the hops!

Hoopaholic
03-01-2015, 09:50 AM
McC is getting some of Melson's minutes I think.

mac only averaging 6 minutes game over last 5 games

DixieZag
03-01-2015, 10:32 AM
mac only averaging 6 minutes game over last 5 games

Needs to double at the absolute minimum, if we want to turn it around. He's the only guy moving the ball quickly and with confidence. Pangos, Bell, Wes, Mac, three spots, four players, rotate all of them through the game, very much including Pangos who is again, just worn down in the last 5 minutes.

surfmonkey89
03-01-2015, 10:35 AM
Are people reading other threads? Apparently McC is only getting 45min per practice. He's not 100% yet. Hopefully he will be by the NCAA tourney

Zagceo
03-01-2015, 10:43 AM
Are people reading other threads? Apparently McC is only getting 45min per practice. He's not 100% yet. Hopefully he will be by the NCAA tourney

OK if this is true which I to believe is true how many have a problem with a kid playing at all in a game if he can't go full speed for a whole practice because of a lingering foot injury?

Mantua
03-01-2015, 10:57 AM

OK if this is true which I to believe is true how many have a problem with a kid playing at all in a game if he can't go full speed for a whole practice because of a lingering foot injury?

Good point. I've been wondering why some keep insisting that Mac should play more. I guess it's easy to miss out on pertinent facts and also easy to overlook their significance.

surfmonkey89
03-01-2015, 11:01 AM

I think they're trying to get him into game shape as fast as they can, given the situation. I just don't know if he'll be ready in time. I just hope he is, because he's a huge boost to the team.

SwainZag
03-01-2015, 11:03 AM

Read the thread, it was obviously Few's fault. :rolleyes:

SwainZag
03-01-2015, 11:08 AM
ok we can agree to disagree

making your shot, getting a rebound and getting an assist in only 5 minutes of play indicates to me someone who is dialed in and playing well.....projects out to 16 points, 8 rebounds and 8 assists if played same for 40 minutes.......thats playing well in my book

That shot also took a very lucky bounce to go in and he had a bad foul on that 3-pointer, it wasn't a leg kickout, it was more of a body check. I am a Melson fan, but who are you pulling? EMac's9 minutes? Wesley was most of the offense in the 2nd half and on defense Gary held Haws in check all game. You aren't going to sit Pangos. It looked like Draino got the minutes over Melson, he's a bigger guard and played a good game

Hoopaholic
03-01-2015, 11:14 AM
Read the thread, it was obviously Few's fault. :rolleyes:

nope thread was to discuss why no change not to lay blame at coach

coach didnt have influence on poor shooting, lane violations, turnover on fast break etc

thread was to discuss possible reasons these options not used

CDC84
03-01-2015, 11:20 AM
I agree with Hoopaholic in that they should've changed to a zone defense at some point. It would've allowed GU to keep two bigs in the lineup.

Honestly, the major reason why GU lost last night's game was effort related. BYU just wanted it more. They got all the loose balls, they busted their tails on the glass, etc. If GU had come out and played with as much fire as BYU, they would've won the game despite Pangos/Bell/Wiltjer having off nights. I had no reason to believe going into that game that GU would come out with so little energy. Especially on senior night with so much at stake. It's frustrating being emotionally invested in a team of 18-21 year old's. You just don't know what they're thinking, and it doesn't matter how well they're coached.

hooter73
03-01-2015, 11:30 AM
Dont know if this has been said but the adjustment was playing right into BYUs game by letting them dictate the tempo and going to a 4 guard line up when our bigs were completely ineffective with the mismatch they should have had. GU doesnt assert itself and this is yet another perfect example of how.

DixieZag
03-01-2015, 11:38 AM
I agree with Hoopaholic in that they should've changed to a zone defense at some point. It would've allowed GU to keep two bigs in the lineup.

Honestly, the major reason why GU lost last night's game was effort related. BYU just wanted it more. They got all the loose balls, they busted their tails on the glass, etc. If GU had come out and played with as much fire as BYU, they would've won the game despite Pangos/Bell/Wiltjer having off nights. I had no reason to believe going into that game that GU would come out with so little energy. Especially on senior night with so much at stake. It's frustrating being emotionally invested in a team of 18-21 year old's. You just don't know what they're thinking, and it doesn't matter how well they're coached.

THIS. Best summation.

Deeper question, why? It's not like they've come out with energy in the last month. Can't say boredom, senior night, BYU, one seed.

I do think that some of it does get back to the coach b/c that's the leader, emotionally and Xs/Os - we rightly give coaches credit when the kids are flying all over confidently.

I do not think all is lost. I do think it will take very serious introspection and honesty, starting with the coaches, 'cause this isn't a one game thing.

Birddog
03-01-2015, 11:43 AM

I agree on all ponits. I found myself screaming at the TV "You've got to want it" early in the game as the Zags were getting killed on the offensive glass.

surfmonkey89
03-01-2015, 11:46 AM

I agree with all of this except for the implication that it's just some weird, ethereal thing due to (insert literally anything except the coaching here). And in this case, I don't know how all this upperclass experience is supposedly to our benefit (which I agree with), then when things go off the rails, it gets blamed on youth.

Youth, fatigue, sickness, injury, bad bracket draw, etc. All teams face this; it's a level playing field in that regard.

At some point we always face a team that wants it more. Why is that? Why do we keep falling short? As someone said in a thread a couple of weeks ago, at some point we need to STFU about all of the above and beat people when it counts.

CDC84
03-01-2015, 11:48 AM
I also think it was a mistake to keep Karnowski off the court, and a zone defense would've allowed GU to keep him in the game. I understand why he had to be removed if GU was going to stick with man defense, but there was another option. He's also too much of a weapon on offense to keep off the floor. Especially when the other team doesn't have an overwhelming frontcourt.

Youth, fatigue, sickness, injury, bad bracket draw, etc. All teams face this; it's a level playing field in that regard.

At some point we always face a team that wants it more. Why is that? Why do we keep falling short? As someone said in a thread a couple of weeks ago, at some point we need to STFU about all of the above and beat people when it counts.

But all teams are subject to this. I mean, how the heck did Arizona lose to Arizona State and UNLV?

surfmonkey89
03-01-2015, 11:49 AM
I also think it was a mistake to keep Karnowski off the court, and a zone defense would've allowed GU to keep him in the game. I understand why he had to be removed if GU was going to stick with man defense, but there was another option. He's also too much of a weapon on offense to keep off the floor. Especially when the other team doesn't have an overwhelming frontcourt.

I assume this was done out of fear of getting torched by Haws & Fisher from 3, right? That, and the fact we were getting blown by in the first half? Some of that would have been mitigated by sitting Wiltjer, but we needed his shot to try and make up the deficit.

So many pieces to the puzzle.

CDC84
03-01-2015, 11:55 AM
I think you take your chances with them hitting threes. Besides, Haws is actually just a 36% 3 point shooter. You want him taking long range shots....what you don't want is his mid range game to get going. A zone might've kept him off the foul line as well and alleviated some of the foul pressure that GU's wings experienced.

I'm more concerned with allowing so many easy, second chance points, and as much as zones leave you vulnerable to offensive boards, there's no way GU would've been crushed like that if they had two bigs in the lineup at all times.

What I don't understand is why Few didn't at least try to go zone. You can always get out of it if it doesn't work.

Chicken Ball
03-01-2015, 11:56 AM
I don't think defense was the problem. It's not like BYU was ripping the nets the whole game. Gary did a great job on Haws, Winder wasn't much of a factor, etc. the problem was that BYU's defensive intensity completely rattled the Zags on offense and we didn't crash the boards.

surfmonkey89
03-01-2015, 12:00 PM
I don't think defense was the problem. It's not like BYU was ripping the nets the whole game. Gary did a great job on Haws, Winder wasn't much of a factor, etc. the problem was that BYU's defensive intensity completely rattled the Zags on offense and we didn't crash the boards.

As much as I'm on the "I wish Gary would/could score more", his job these last to games was to shut down Dee and Haws. Which in my opinion, he did.

I really do think he's the most underrated player in GU history.

DixieZag
03-01-2015, 12:05 PM
If we look to the fact that we started out 11-2, we basically played them even the rest of the way.

If we want to win, we can't keep digging holes. They've looked awful in the first ten minutes for a long time.

ZagLawGrad
03-01-2015, 12:42 PM
Plenty of basketball talent, but may well be lacking what matters the most. Fire and unbridled desire to want it more than anyone can describe.

surfmonkey89
03-01-2015, 01:49 PM
But all teams are subject to this. I mean, how the heck did Arizona lose to Arizona State and UNLV?

True. I think it's unfair that we have to run the table to get a two seed in our own region (man, I hope I'm wrong about that), but that's the hand we're dealt I guess.

Plainsman
03-01-2015, 02:03 PM
I don't know what the deal was with Kyle but Kevin suffered from what he usually does when he is guarded by a quicker guard that sticks to him like glue all over the court, all the time. I love Kevin to death, but in these situations, he is not quick enough to create space for an outside shot and is one step too slow to take this kind of defender off the dribble. In my opinion, this is Kevin's one deficiency and one that will keep him from the NBA. Might have a shot in Europe. Bottom line, you can't teach quickness, and while Kevin has decent quickness, he has never had 'blow by you' quickness. He needs screens and motion to get open against a tough, dedicated, quick defender and sometimes he just can't get open.

BMAN
03-01-2015, 03:41 PM

Amen. We had the advantage with our bigs. We gave it up

Hoopaholic
03-01-2015, 04:47 PM
part of defense is to secure the rebounds.......BYU killed us on second chance points

jim77
03-01-2015, 05:07 PM
I don't know what the deal was with Kyle but Kevin suffered from what he usually does when he is guarded by a quicker guard that sticks to him like glue all over the court, all the time. I love Kevin to death, but in these situations, he is not quick enough to create space for an outside shot and is one step too slow to take this kind of defender off the dribble. In my opinion, this is Kevin's one deficiency and one that will keep him from the NBA. Might have a shot in Europe. Bottom line, you can't teach quickness, and while Kevin has decent quickness, he has never had 'blow by you' quickness. He needs screens and motion to get open against a tough, dedicated, quick defender and sometimes he just can't get open.

Agreed. KP is too good to keep off of the court and does need help to get open, he's also not fantastic on defense....which is not his fault. Which is another reason we need to play more zone then we do. I think we need to open EVERY game in zone. If the opposing team breaks it up, fine. Then we can go man....at least we'll control the boards...minimize "big" fouls.....cover for slower defenders....not engage in needless chasing matches...until then. We also keep stupid fouls and fatique down.

One more thing.....I wonder if Nunez is physically able to play? Cause I would have told him to work Collinsworth "Hard" I wouldn't have cared if he fouled out in 5 minutes either...as long as the fouls count. If Angel is anything...he's long and athletic....Remember what he did against SMU. We may need to resume his services for just such events. Nunez is probably the most "athletic" big we have. Gonna be interesting to see if Few goes to him.....I'd give him minutes for his defense alone...and tell him he can shoot all he wants as long as their garbage points grab from offensive rebounds.

ValencyLovesZagsInAtlanta
03-01-2015, 05:22 PM

There isn't much we can do about it anymore. Several nights I have spent pulling my hair out over the last FEW years and all I got out of it was a headache and another early exit. Here is the thing though. Everything is still fluid after this loss. Our fearless threesome needs to D UP. Pangos should not be on the court for the minutes he is logging. Over the years he has proven either exhausted or injured this time of year. Our ace in the hole even without Perks is our depth including Melson & Mac. That is the hardest sell to coach Few. I think Mac may be limited though. We need to regroup and refocus. This team needs a great coach to get to INDY. We shall see...I still have hope.

jim77
03-01-2015, 05:25 PM
As much as I'm on the "I wish Gary would/could score more", his job these last to games was to shut down Dee and Haws. Which in my opinion, he did.

I really do think he's the most underrated player in GU history.

Gary did a HECK of a job on DEES and Hawes.....very UNSELFISH player.

MickMick
03-01-2015, 07:18 PM
The team can't get stops when needed. If the offense is off, even just a little, this spells doom.

DADoZAG
03-01-2015, 07:20 PM

Yes, passion is like nitrous for college athletics. Of course, like nitrous in your engine, you need the mechanics as perfect as you can or havoc strikes. When the ZAGS held LMU out of the field goal column until 8 mins left in the first half, things were running pretty good. Perhaps that's when the nitrous should have started.

Hindsight is 20-20, of course.

I know I'm not a successful D1 coach, and I know what The Legend said, but that's my opinion and I'm sticking to it.

Twas a great game by the Cougs of BYU, staff and players alike. Congrats to them.

Go ZAGS!

hooter73
03-01-2015, 08:34 PM
Yes, passion is like nitrous for college athletics. Of course, like nitrous in your engine, you need the mechanics as perfect as you can or havoc strikes. When the ZAGS held LMU out of the field goal column until 8 mins left in the first half, things were running pretty good. Perhaps that's when the nitrous should have started.

Hindsight is 20-20, of course.

I know I'm not a successful D1 coach, and I know what The Legend said, but that's my opinion and I'm sticking to it.

Twas a great game by the Cougs of BYU, staff and players alike. Congrats to them.

Go ZAGS!

lol someone has leaned out and detonated before...

Zags11
03-01-2015, 10:46 PM
This gm will make us own the wcc tournament but wont help us in seeding per winning wise. We really cant lose again.

WallaWallaZag
03-01-2015, 10:48 PM

agree with the pangos deficiencies, but he also missed several fairly easy runners/floaters in the lane...the zag staff seems to remove the mid-range game from their guards, but a guy like tj.mac from zona kills teams with free throw line area jumpers. i fully realize that the long 2-pt. jumper is the most inefficient shot in the game, but considering gonzaga doesn't have guards that can finish at the rim, i would think short pull-up jumpers would be encouraged.