• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Reborn
    Zag for Life
    • Oct 2007

Gonzaga vs BYU post game thoughts

Thanks to venting a little last night I was able to sleep well. However, thanks to this board I did not go to bed very early (1 a.m.); so I'm sure I'll be pretty tired later. However, I slept well, had really good dreams; and woke up feeling good about the Zags. I have no bad feelings about Few at all (which I usually do after a loss...hahaha) and have no bad feelings about the team. Did they play well last night. No. Have they been playing well lately? Not for a full game that's for sure. Can they go deep into the tournament we call March Madness by playing a half game? IMO, No! I still believe in this team, and in particular the Coaches and players. I think they've all done a great job this year, and I believe that they will respond to the loss last night. This team will come together as a team, figure it out, and play like they're capable of the rest of the way. I believe that Few is a great coach, and has a great staff and they will figure out what BYU did to them, as well as what they did to themselves.

Most great teams also lose games now and then. Losing sucks. It hurts. It's part of the journey, and this is exactly what coaches mean when they say that it's the journey that really matters. The important thing for this team is that they face the fact that they lost, adjust, and make some changes and move forward and get back to playing as a team. The good news is that there are a lot of games left. And, imo, all of them are now the most important games of this wonderful season. So we have a lot to look forward to.

Go Zags!!!
    One game at a time!
    Go Zags!!! The Best Is Yet To Come!!!
  • GonzagasaurusFlex
    Zag for Life
    • Feb 2007

Fantastic post and perspective Reborn...thank you!!

Stepping away from the particulars of last night's game, my thoughts are this team needs a mini-break from all the attention, hype, expectations etc.. maybe even a day or two to step away from basketball altogether. Give the coaches 48 hours to review, assess and prepare for the all important "2nd season" while the players can decompress/rest and get refocused for postseason play.

Whether he would admit it or not, Pangos must be exhausted....emotionally and physically from the senior week hype, press interviews to 39 minutes of playing at BYU's hectic pace last night...man Pangos worked his ass off on defense last night.

I was surprisingly deflated by the Zags loss, but after sleeping then reading Reborn's post I am ready to move forward and plant my feet firmly in the truth that this team can still accomplish great things this season. As Adam Morrison once said, "Coach me up!!" Do your thing coaches, and I really hope the players can just step away for 24-48 hours to relax, rest and get re-focused...perhaps another "mini retreat" overnighter?
    Even though I care a lot about my basketball opinions, they are like comparing a bicycle to a championship motorcycle who is our coach. . ZagsGoZags

Comment

• Reborn
      Zag for Life
      • Oct 2007

I'm glad you're feeling better. This is too good of a team to feel bad for too long. I've always believed that losing is part of life, and part of sports, and how we respond to it is what makes the difference between the best teams, and those that are not quite the best. I am sure that our guys will not be happy about that loss. They'll come together, IN MY OPINION. And play some really good basketball from here on out. My hope is that the loss last night will make them even better in the most important games that are now coming up. I can hardly wait for next week.

Go Zags!!!

Comment

• Reborn
        Zag for Life
        • Oct 2007

I was a little surprised to see that the loss last night had no affect on either our RPI nor BPI. I'm sure it will affect the AP poll though.

Go Zags!!!

Comment

• ZagHouse
          Kennel Club
          • Jan 2009

The loss while bothersome really felt like I was watching one of their flameouts in March. BYU played like they had something to lose and we came out thinking we could ride the emotion of senior night, a home crowd, and a cover of SI to another victory. I do think this league has its challenges and BYU is good enough right now to give any top tier team problems, however I saw a weird lack of cohesiveness last night. Missed assignments, hesitant shot selection, and our vaunted transfer air ball, fumble numerous passes, and look completely lost on the defensive end. Both teams left points at the free-throw line, but I felt BYU's misses were more egregious, and should have won by more considering who was missing. Whatever the reason, emotional, or physical fatigue, until the team can get back to the energy when Shem would actually dunk, or step out and hit a fade or a bank off the back board we're a top 25 team but not top 10. I'm officially in my cautiously optimistic mode now so my emotions are not crushed come March.

Comment

• Ezag
            Zag for Life
            • Feb 2007

Nicely said Reborn and others.

I am not shocked about this loss. I have thought we were going to get caught at some point. I am glad that if we were going to lose it was to BYU and not Pacific, Loyola or most of any of the other WCC teams.

I had 2 drinks and slept very well.

Time off for this team can only help and it is very much needed. We will not get #1 seed so that pressure is off and rightfully so. I don't think we are a #1. Not even sure were a #2. Either way this board gets caught up in seeding every year and every year too many excuses to why we lost. Bad draw, tough region, high altitude, east coast whatever. Until we make a run deep we will never put this talk to rest. We know how good we are and it time to put it together and let the rest of the country see this. This is a good team. Is it the best ever? I don't think but who knows for sure?

Comment

• Mr Vulture
              Zag for Life
              • May 2008

My personal thoughts are that this loss may be a blessing in disguise. First off, Wiltjer was off all weekend, it happens. I'm not even worried about him getting his stroke back. Secondly, I think this relieves a lot of pressure and attention that would have inevitably come had we been a 1 seed. All they need to do is play their game and they will be fine.

My only concern with the loss is if it were to end up getting us placed in the Kentucky region.

Comment

• Reborn
                Zag for Life
                • Oct 2007

The biggest criticism that the Zags receive from media sports writers and analysts is that the Zags are not tough. Although at times the Zags showed real good toughness, they DID NOT SHOW IT LAST NIGHT. At least not on the boards. Collinsworth was the tough guy who pushed the Zags around all night long. And so did Kaufusi. Daufusi made the shot of the game when he THREW in a fall-away, falling down high arching hook shot that must have gone 10 feet up into the air before falling in. Was it pure luck or pure concentration. Meanwhile Zag bigs are missing layups. BYU just seemed so much more focused then the Zags last night. BYU had the mojo, or as I like to say, the fire last night. Let's see if the Zags can take it back.

Go Zags!!!

Comment

• CdAZagFan
                  Zag for Life
                  • Feb 2013

I think the Zags will "rebound" from this loss - literally and figuratively...

Comment

• Bogozags
                    Zag for Life
                    • Jan 2008

Let's keep this in perspective...we lost a game last night. Sure an undefeated conference season, 21 game conference win streak, 41 game home court winning streak all went by the wayside BUT we play again next Saturday. This team will bounce back, they ARE tough and this loss will re-ignite their desire to win. I have no doubt they will emerge stronger from the loss.

To beat UK they would have to shoot horribly, play weak defense for the entire game AND their opponent would have to shoot well, get second chance points and rebound...this is the scenario of the game last night. We had problems making lay-ups, our top two scorers had the worst games of their Zag and BYU played a great game and deserved to win.

We believe the Zags are a team of destiny and this is just a set back. Win out, get the two seed and play in Portland.

Comment

• DZ
                      Zag for Life
                      • Sep 2007

Of course it is just "one game" and just "a loss" and all that .

But the trend is very scary. At each point over the last 6 weeks we've said the same thing "if we can just get through SCU/USF this is always tough" and looking listless against Pepp "Pepp just plays us hard" and then Pacific "Looking to SMC" and then SMC "wake up call needed" and then USD "Grier just knows how to play us" All those things have been said, and said b/c we didn't look very good.

And, I'm pessimistic until I see it reversed. We are not aggressive, we have no swag, we don't move the ball crisply, other than BWes and Sabonis, we don't attack the basket, we're not getting the assists we were earlier. We're supposed to be elite offensively, I don't see it.

Something is wrong with Karno - he is back to playing heavy, soft and spending too much time talking to refs
                      Drainginis brings what he brings, but I think Mac should get all Drangs minutes at this point. One could make a very strong argument Mac should be starting.
                      If KW is getting worked defensively or listless offensively, there were times last night I honestly thought we needed Nunez's defense underneath to block some of those drives and match BYUs rebounding energy. It's not like Nunez will turn it over much more than the guys out there did.
                      As good and legendary as Pangos/Bell are, they need rest. Hopefully this week off is exactly what is needed.

I can't believe I'm about to say this but that team walked on the floor scared last night. It's like they knew they haven't been playing well and knew they had a ton of pressure.

I think they can turn it around. I think a week off is desperately needed. Someone said last night that we should look at video from early in the year, I think the team/coaches should spend two days looking at video from early in the year. Watch the Arizona game's first 35 minutes ten times.
                      Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.
                      Mark Twain.

Comment

• Zagger
                        Banned
                        • Mar 2008

Zags ran out of gas and had wrong map. A week off and a sunny 73-75° Vegas trip will do them well. Go Zags!

Comment

• jim77
                          Zag for Life
                          • Oct 2007

Originally posted by DixieZag View Post
                          Of course it is just "one game" and just "a loss" and all that .

But the trend is very scary. At each point over the last 6 weeks we've said the same thing "if we can just get through SCU/USF this is always tough" and looking listless against Pepp "Pepp just plays us hard" and then Pacific "Looking to SMC" and then SMC "wake up call needed" and then USD "Grier just knows how to play us" All those things have been said, and said b/c we didn't look very good.

And, I'm pessimistic until I see it reversed. We are not aggressive, we have no swag, we don't move the ball crisply, other than BWes and Sabonis, we don't attack the basket, we're not getting the assists we were earlier. We're supposed to be elite offensively, I don't see it.

Something is wrong with Karno - he is back to playing heavy, soft and spending too much time talking to refs
                          Drainginis brings what he brings, but I think Mac should get all Drangs minutes at this point. One could make a very strong argument Mac should be starting.
                          If KW is getting worked defensively or listless offensively, there were times last night I honestly thought we needed Nunez's defense underneath to block some of those drives and match BYUs rebounding energy. It's not like Nunez will turn it over much more than the guys out there did.
                          As good and legendary as Pangos/Bell are, they need rest. Hopefully this week off is exactly what is needed.

I can't believe I'm about to say this but that team walked on the floor scared last night. It's like they knew they haven't been playing well and knew they had a ton of pressure.

I think they can turn it around. I think a week off is desperately needed. Someone said last night that we should look at video from early in the year, I think the team/coaches should spend two days looking at video from early in the year. Watch the Arizona game's first 35 minutes ten times.
                          Agree with most except.....Mac should not get Kyle's minutes, if anything Mac and Kyle should be in with Byron to give Gary and KP some blow. I also agree with the NUNEZ thoughts...I was thinking the same thing. He's the only guy on the team big enough and quick enough to slow down Colinsworth....probably wouldn't have worked but, worth a try. I realize that Angel hasn't worked out as hoped for but, I'd be damed if I'd let an athlete like him set on the bench while we're getting schooled. Just tell the guy to do his best Dennis Rodman imitation. Even in a zone "d"....it would be tough to shoot over him. Pitino recruited him for a reason....he's a stud athlete.

Comment

• zagfan1
                            Zag for Life
                            • Nov 2007

I am hoping this loss will substitute for the loss we usually have in game two of the ncaa tournament. This was a tough one to swallow. Glad those of you were able to sleep well. We have such a deep bench for us to be tiring out. Kentucky is still going strong. Why can't we do the same thing? Hopefully the team uses this pain as motivation. This week we are going to hear a lot about Arizona and Villanova. Maybe either one of them or both lose. I am hoping Virginia will lose this week to Louisville. Maybe North Carolina will get revenge against Duke as well. Finally, maybe St Johns does us a favor and beats Villanova. I know a lot of you did not like Mac with Pangos. I liked it because I want Pangos shooting more. The lineup that I am really enamored by is Mac, Pangos, Wes, Sabonis, and Shem. Let Bell spell Pangos and Melson spell Mac. Let KW sub for Sabonis and KD sub for Wesley. I don't think Nunez gets in the game cause he is not good with the offensive game flow. Finally, another lineup which might be interesting would be Mac, Bell, Melson, Wesley, and Shem. Final thought on Saturdays game. KW and Bell need to be more aggressive. Outside of Bell's one three I didn't see it from both of them. We can't have that and expect to go far in the tournament. The good news is that I think Sabonis is learning how to play defense and Wesley is doing more slashing. Cheers to a week of upsets.

Comment

• Outraged
                              Professional Zag Fan
                              • Feb 2007

Originally posted by zagfan1 View Post
                              I am hoping this loss will substitute for the loss we usually have in game two of the ncaa tournament. This was a tough one to swallow. Glad those of you were able to sleep well. We have such a deep bench for us to be tiring out. Kentucky is still going strong. Why can't we do the same thing? Hopefully the team uses this pain as motivation. This week we are going to hear a lot about Arizona and Villanova. Maybe either one of them or both lose. I am hoping Virginia will lose this week to Louisville. Maybe North Carolina will get revenge against Duke as well. Finally, maybe St Johns does us a favor and beats Villanova. I know a lot of you did not like Mac with Pangos. I liked it because I want Pangos shooting more. The lineup that I am really enamored by is Mac, Pangos, Wes, Sabonis, and Shem. Let Bell spell Pangos and Melson spell Mac. Let KW sub for Sabonis and KD sub for Wesley. I don't think Nunez gets in the game cause he is not good with the offensive game flow. Finally, another lineup which might be interesting would be Mac, Bell, Melson, Wesley, and Shem. Final thought on Saturdays game. KW and Bell need to be more aggressive. Outside of Bell's one three I didn't see it from both of them. We can't have that and expect to go far in the tournament. The good news is that I think Sabonis is learning how to play defense and Wesley is doing more slashing. Cheers to a week of upsets.
                              I am not upset with this loss as much as the other losses BYU and the WCC had in the preseason. I have been surprised at how good the other WCC teams are this year compared to prior years. I think the media has the other WCC teams labeled as cream puffs.

Comment

Working...
                              X