PDA

View Full Version : Ready, set, meltdown ...

FuManShoes
02-28-2015, 09:20 PM
Go!

(FWIW, I think this will pay dividends) .

hooter73
02-28-2015, 09:22 PM
Yeah can someone pm me when the dust has settled so I know it's safe to come back here?

That's basketball. Good job byu

Sarenyon
02-28-2015, 09:22 PM
Lol. Interviewing coach Rose during Sr. Night celebrations.

Just_An_Old_Zag
02-28-2015, 09:23 PM
almost made a fool of myself...congrats to byu...they earned the victory the better team...way to show up seniors and si cover boy

Jakester425
02-28-2015, 09:24 PM
No meltdown here. Sucks to lose on Senior Night at home, but we will be fine. Hopefully it's the kick in the pants we need to refocus.

SunDevilGolfZag
02-28-2015, 09:25 PM
Good game by BYU. Good lesson for us. We need to play harder than our opponents

Zagceo
Good for BYU and good for WCC if BYU makes tourney more money for everybody! Lemonade for everybody!

23dpg
Agree, no meltdown.

Spoils to the victors. They led wire to wire.

CDC84
02-28-2015, 09:27 PM
No meltdown. I just feel bad that Gonzaga had to play like this on senior night. No urgency.

At the end of the day, I don't think this is going to effect GU's seeding a great deal so long as they win the WCC tournament. I still see them with a 2 out west.

MJ777
02-28-2015, 09:28 PM
Congrats to the Cougars. Sad for the seniors. Now focus and get better. Go Zags!

HOOTER
02-28-2015, 09:28 PM
BYU played well and earned the win. The Zags did what they've been threatening to do for a while now and I'm glad it's out of their system before the tournaments.

U Zig, I Zag
02-28-2015, 09:29 PM
Haha. I think it's ok. Tough loss, but clearly Few and Co have some work to do. I don't know how, but we regress as the season goes on. Or so it seems at times.

Eye test this is clearly not a 1 seed. Prob a 3/4 - which may be good!

Get out of the Spotlight. Make the kids think about it for a bit.

My guess was we would lose tonight. We just haven't looked dominant lately. Minus the SMC comeback. I know it's all semantics and the w's say otherwise. But I think we are soft and not playing smart at all. For ####s sake, when is the last time we got an easy basket? EVERYTHING is a struggle. Zags used to cut you like a surgeons scalpel. You didn't know it until you looked down and saw the blood. We don't do that at all anymore.

bartruff1
02-28-2015, 09:29 PM
Congratulations to BYU....great effort.....terrific win....

RenoZag
02-28-2015, 09:32 PM
No meltdown. I just feel bad that Gonzaga had to play like this on senior night. No urgency.

At the end of the day, I don't think this is going to effect GU's seeding a great deal so long as they win the WCC tournament. I still see them with a 2 out west.

Winning the WCC tournament will be a tall task. They can do it but it will be a struggle.

ValencyLovesZagsInAtlanta
02-28-2015, 09:32 PM
Lol. Interviewing coach Rose during Sr. Night celebrations.

I would say unbelievable but...:(

02-28-2015, 09:34 PM

They played with heart and urgency. Tough to have our last thoughts of KP and GB at the Kennel end like this though. With a loss and poor performances.

CDC84
02-28-2015, 09:35 PM
Winning the WCC tournament will be a tall task. They can do it but it will be a struggle.

I agree....especially with the new format where they have to play 3 games to win it. That being said, I think it would've been a taller task had they won the game tonight. The way this team has been playing of late, they've almost been begging for a loss. We can only hope they have finally gotten it out of their system. If they go into Vegas and play with the same sense of urgency as everyone else, they will win the title.

jazzdelmar
02-28-2015, 09:36 PM

Plus 1

sylean
02-28-2015, 09:38 PM
yeah but....there was the winning at home stat now lost....they're was the undefeated in the WCC stat...now lost....there was the only one loss in overtime to a ranked team on their court...now lost...

I think the team has played uninspired for a while and this game was just waiting to be played...but it is sick and sad to think that lackluster play the whole night lost a lot of historical significance for the team..

ZagLawGrad
02-28-2015, 09:38 PM

If there is any merit to the #1 seed talk for these past weeks, the Zags should win handily in Vegas.

It's the Big Dance where I see problems, though.

Baseline
02-28-2015, 09:41 PM
I went back and looked at early season games and recent games and it looks like two different teams. don't know why they changed, but they don't pass and move like earlier.
How a whole team can go bad shooting, is a real mystery to me.
Just amazed at 3 big guys getting beaten on the boards in the manner they did.
The fire went out somewhere along the line.

Zagdawg
02-28-2015, 09:48 PM
BYU wanted it more---their stars stepped up and scored 30 pts between the two of them. Good wake up call for our guys--now they remember how it feels to lose--and hopefully they don't like that feeling.

Hopefully going to pay dividends when we get into the dance.

No more need to worry about the pressure that comes with a one seed. No more need to worry about going undefeated in conference--no more need to worry about the home court win streak ---time to play loose and get the job done.

Go Zags

RenoZag
02-28-2015, 09:58 PM
The BYU of late February is a far better ballclub than the BYU squad the Zags beat in late Fall. As for the Zags ? We'll see next week.

seacatfan
02-28-2015, 10:01 PM
I went back and looked at early season games and recent games and it looks like two different teams. don't know why they changed, but they don't pass and move like earlier.

I haven't rewatched any of the games from early in the season, but I strongly suspected it would be a night and day difference compared to the way GU is playing now.

02-28-2015, 10:02 PM

Sabonis doesn't get beat on the boards. The other 2...SOFT.

TexasZag
02-28-2015, 10:03 PM
BYU wanted it more---their stars stepped up and scored 30 pts between the two of them. Good wake up call for our guys--now they remember how it feels to lose--and hopefully they don't like that feeling.

Hopefully going to pay dividends when we get into the dance.

No more need to worry about the pressure that comes with a one seed. No more need to worry about going undefeated in conference--no more need to worry about the home court win streak ---time to play loose and get the job done.

Go Zags

Agree 100%. These streaks were wearing on me, and I'm no where near the court! The way we've played throughout February it was inevitable that sooner or later we would not be able to recover in the second half like we've been relying on of late. Better to take the loss in a meaningless regular season game as everything from this point forward is single elimination.

Baseline
02-28-2015, 10:03 PM
I think the WCC has cought up with the Zags. Next year will be a real battle to win the conference. The close games were no fluke, so hopefully the knock on the WCC for being weak will disappear. Would love to see a deep run if others get in the tournament.

U Zig, I Zag
02-28-2015, 10:05 PM
Sabonis doesn't get beat on the boards. The other 2...SOFT.

A lithe, springy Karno would be a wonderful thing. I don't see it. He looks bigger than before, to me. kW has good hands but he gets pushed around. Sabonis and maybe KD are the only two that like to get in the scrum.

surfmonkey89
02-28-2015, 10:05 PM

I've been monitoring this, as I think it's the most important comment of the season: http://guboards.spokesmanreview.com/showthread.php?51985-Lack-of-a-Killer-Instinct&p=1067905#post1067905

To wit

I hate to sound like a broken record, but the Zags in a lot of these WCC games are competing against themselves. Few has got to get these guys motivated to achieve goals on the court that are independent of the score and the name on the opposing jersey. Kind of like what Tarkanian's UNLV teams used to do in the Big West and the old PCAA. If the lead is 20, try to make it 30, etc. There will be tough games along the way, but it's important to keep improving regardless of what the score is.

This never happened.

ZagLawGrad
02-28-2015, 10:11 PM
Most important comment? Hardly.

Why would Few have to find a way to motivate a team that has had a #1 seed there for the taking?

That is all of the motivation any team should need.

Ezag
02-28-2015, 10:13 PM
threads like this are really stupid. Of course there's going to be some sort of meltdown, what do you expect from passionate fans?

surfmonkey89
02-28-2015, 10:15 PM
Of course it's up to the players to perform. But motivation is a very important part of coaching. I don't see much coming from the bench, and they're the ones who have been watching this for 15yrs.

The coaches deserve part of the blame here. We've all been witnessing the slow slide over the last month, and I'm sure the coaches have as well. Yet for whatever reason, they haven't been able to stop it. Apparently Few commented in the post game interview that it's time to step up the intensity. Really? Nice of you to notice!

Unbiased
02-28-2015, 10:29 PM
Everyone know the Zags have played uninspired ball the past ten games or so. Why? I don't know. Its clear the team we have seen lately is nothing like the team that played Arizona. The play of the past ten games or so has been mechanical with little enthusiasm. All of the players seem to be playing more robotic. There is little ingenuity on offense. Picks are half-hearted. Pangos for sure doesn't seem to have the energy or desire to fight hard off of picks to vie for an open shot. Lastly, there has been little effort to improvise to display the talent these guys are capable of . All of the set plays are routine and predictable. The guys are playing like each game is their 150th performance in the same Broadway play - and they can't wait for the performance to end.

Mantua
02-28-2015, 10:42 PM
Of course it's up to the players to perform. But motivation is a very important part of coaching. I don't see much coming from the bench, and they're the ones who have been watching this for 15yrs.

The coaches deserve part of the blame here. We've all been witnessing the slow slide over the last month, and I'm sure the coaches have as well. Yet for whatever reason, they haven't been able to stop it. Apparently Few commented in the post game interview that it's time to step up the intensity. Really? Nice of you to notice!

I agree 100%.

Ready to catch the flak.

MDABE80
02-28-2015, 11:46 PM
Nah.....no meltdown. We've had a tremendous season with no injurie outside of Jenks. They've taken too much time off in the past several games. These kids did the school and the city a very good turn. The season turned out much better that I thought it would. We lost one but whatta season these kids and the staff gave us. Maybe the team needed to lose one. Hopefully it'll get their focus back and they'll play harder. Have to be grateful for this team.

ZagsGoZags
02-28-2015, 11:55 PM
Almost all great teams lose one or two each season.
I wish Wesley had not lost control of the ball when we got that turnover in the last minute.
I have not seen a lack of intensity in Pangos for the last month, tonight he seemed like the only guy beating BYU guys to loose balls, and his passing into the bigs in Feb has been the key to many of our wins.
Tonight the better team won.

Larryzag
03-01-2015, 12:06 AM
Pangos needs to be the go to guy like he was at the end of the half with the nice step back 15 footer to tie it. Leaders need to lead and that means sometimes putting the team on your back. Pangos and Wiltjer hitting 5 buckets among them won't win them many games.

jim77
03-01-2015, 12:17 AM
Maybe we need to lose another game...this time to ST. Mary's...who goes on to win the tourney...then the WCC gets 3 teams in. The 3 teams get into the tourney and do some damage......Few also orders the team plane to be parked...and the fellas take a beat to sh*& bus to the tourney and kick A$$...as a 6 seed. That would be much sweeter than a friggin 1 seed...lets do it 99 style! GO Zags!

Here's the "new" team bus: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SfroUSUcbdc

MickMick
03-01-2015, 12:55 AM
If this were hold em', my chips would not be all in.

FroZAG
03-01-2015, 01:21 AM
Go!

(FWIW, I think this will pay dividends) .

FWIW..... Your dividends comment is worth a lot. No pun intended. NEVER a good thing to lose at home like that and lose the streak and whatnot... But this loss will instill a stronger and different level of motivation into each of our guys. No doubt.
I am a firm believer in a loss is good for you once in a while in order to reach a higher ceiling.

If there are any legit psychologists or sports psychologists or even any Heavy sports bettors who disagree, I would be interested to hear the "Doom'ish" other side.

For those worried about a #1 seed, don't be worried. Unless we somehow end up in UK's region then our final four chances are just as intact as they were at the beginning of the week.

And....FWIW, maybe better.

TexasZag
03-01-2015, 03:50 AM

Three points:

1. There was once a famous football coach in Texas who was no fan of emotional demonstrations. He felt that his team needed to be good enough to win without it. He was the first coach of the Dallas Cowboys, and under his stoic gaze from the sideline the team enjoyed an unprecedented run of success.

2. As organizations mature and reach the front of the pack they tend to tighten up and become conservative. They subconsciously go into a "preserve what we have" mode instead of fighting to reach the top. Couple that with the inevitable loss of intensity from the routine of winning, a sense of invincibility, and the pressure of maintaining these streaks, sooner or later it'll catch up with you. Thankfully, we get a wakeup call before the tournaments. We'll soon see if they take this setback seriously.

3. One of toughest challenges in motivating a group that experiences a lot of success is to successfully convey a sense of urgency. If the coaching staff has been unsuccessful at getting their attention in this regard, I suspect the guys will be a little more willing to listen.

Zagger
03-01-2015, 04:11 AM
The team could use a week off and then a trip to Vegas. So could I!
http://www.fowlplaces.com/zags/gozagstinysignguy.png

SteelZag
03-01-2015, 02:54 PM
Maybe we need to lose another game...this time to ST. Mary's...who goes on to win the tourney...then the WCC gets 3 teams in. The 3 teams get into the tourney and do some damage......Few also orders the team plane to be parked...and the fellas take a beat to sh*& bus to the tourney and kick A$$...as a 6 seed. That would be much sweeter than a friggin 1 seed...lets do it 99 style! GO Zags!

Here's the "new" team bus: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SfroUSUcbdc

If by some miracle the Zags did end up in Seattle, there is an NCAA rule which prohibits teams from flying within 350 miles of destination for tourney. Does anybody know if there are exemptions, such as a snowed in pass?

http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/12202240/ncaa-aircraft-shortage-lead-teams-sticking-tournament

ZagsGoZags
03-02-2015, 03:12 AM
Three points:

1. There was once a famous football coach in Texas who was no fan of emotional demonstrations. He felt that his team needed to be good enough to win without it. He was the first coach of the Dallas Cowboys, and under his stoic gaze from the sideline the team enjoyed an unprecedented run of success.

2. As organizations mature and reach the front of the pack they tend to tighten up and become conservative. They subconsciously go into a "preserve what we have" mode instead of fighting to reach the top. Couple that with the inevitable loss of intensity from the routine of winning, a sense of invincibility, and the pressure of maintaining these streaks, sooner or later it'll catch up with you. Thankfully, we get a wakeup call before the tournaments. We'll soon see if they take this setback seriously.

3. One of toughest challenges in motivating a group that experiences a lot of success is to successfully convey a sense of urgency. If the coaching staff has been unsuccessful at getting their attention in this regard, I suspect the guys will be a little more willing to listen.

Texas, This says it very well indeed

WallaWallaZag
03-02-2015, 03:43 AM

who knows...maybe the coaching staff wanted to lose this game as they've seen the slide as you mentioned and still haven't been able to get through to the players.