PDA

View Full Version : UCLA Snubs Zags?

DavyZag
09-20-2007, 07:37 AM
Andy Katz seems to think so:

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/columns/story?columnist=katz_andy&id=3026792&lpos=spotlight&lid=tab1pos2

Gonzaga says it wanted to get into the Wooden but UCLA wasn't that interested. Well, UCLA chose Davidson, a decision that earns high praise here. Davidson will be a quality mid-major and playing in Anaheim (Dec. 8) should provide an entertaining matchup.

Hmmm... interesting that UCLA would turn down what basically amounts to a home game against us. At least if you lose to the Zags you lose to a ranked team and people won't criticize you for it. If you lose to Davidson (who will be a super dangerous team... I wouldn't want anything to do with them if I were UCLA), then it's a black eye. Go figure.

I'm more mad than anything... I REALLY want revenge against the Bruins.

Katz also has this to say about the Zags:

Gonzaga: The Zags will have plenty of high-profile games yet again with Washington State (Dec. 5), Tennessee (Dec. 29) in Seattle, Connecticut (Dec. 1) in Boston, at Saint Joe's (Nov. 29), at Memphis (Jan. 26), against Oklahoma (Dec. 20) in Okalahoma City and the three games in the Great Alaska Shootout, beginning Nov. 22 against Western Kentucky in Anchorage. This schedule will provide the Zags with plenty of power-rating points. It will help that the WCC will be a bit better, especially Saint Mary's, but the Zags won't have to worry about much if they can at least hold their own in some of these marquee matchups.

DavyZag
09-20-2007, 07:38 AM
Oops... my bad. I just saw that this was already posted. Feel free to delete!

TexasZagFan
09-20-2007, 08:21 AM
I'm more mad than anything... I REALLY want revenge against the Bruins.

Revenge...for what? We had control of that game two years ago, and let it get away. When you're up by double digits with 4-5 minutes to go, you're supposed to win those games.

former1dog
09-20-2007, 08:25 AM
Revenge...for what? We had control of that game two years ago, and let it get away. When you're up by double digits with 4-5 minutes to go, you're supposed to win those games.

Agreed.

But there was that questionable no call towards the end of the game when JP had the ball stolen from him in the open court.

But, we should have never been in the precarious position in the first place. We had that team on the ropes and took the foot off the gas pedal.

Rubbadub
09-20-2007, 08:27 AM
When UCLA point guard that shall not be named stole it from behind? That was no foul, IMO. If anything was...it was Raivio getting tripped up by two defenders while streaking down court and losing the ball.

former1dog
09-20-2007, 08:30 AM
Listen to me... but, but, but.... Coulda, shoulda, woulda... Man, I sound like a whiner.

In the final analysis, UCLA kicked our tail in that game. Nuf said.

Rubbadub
09-20-2007, 08:35 AM
Indeed.

lothar98zag
09-20-2007, 08:51 AM
When UCLA point guard that shall not be named stole it from behind? That was no foul, IMO...
There were two people on JP at the time. One of them clearly fouled him.

ugh!

why did all of you make me think of that game again...

CDC84
09-20-2007, 09:13 AM
During the first half of the UCLA/Gonzaga game, the Bruins played the worst half of basketball of any team Gonzaga faced during the 2005/06 season. The Zags should've been up by 25, if not 30, given how awful UCLA played.

They allowed the Bruins to cut it at 13 at the half. I was 99.9% certain Gonzaga would lose the game at that point.

The Zags lost that game in the first half. It wasn't Batista getting picked, it wasn't D-Rav turning it over, etc. Those were just symptoms of a much larger problem that plagued GU that entire season: their complete ineptitude to put teams away once they had them by the throat. UCLA was too tough and too talented for Gonzaga to allow them back into the game and get away with it. What you saw from Gonzaga in those final minutes was fear stemming from a collective realization that they were not facing a WCC opponent who they could put away at crunch time (despite giving up a lead) with Adam Morrison and free throw shooting. In short, the whole team panicked in those final minutes because they knew in their hearts that the game shouldn't have been close at that point - they had given up what turned out to be at that time the biggest lead in the history of the tournament.

Personally, I need to see Gonzaga exhibit A LOT more toughness, both physically and mentally, before I would feel comfortable facing UCLA again. You have to match the toughness of a Ben Howland coached team if you want to beat them. Maybe this year's GU team can do this....we'll see.

MDABE80
09-20-2007, 09:23 AM
I don't think Ben would duck GU. Katz is right though, Davidson is a very tough team this year. GU is 1-1 against UCLA in the modern era (I think). It would have been fun to go at the Bruins again.......considering GU beat them in every category (except the final score) 2 years ago. Makes me wonder who would have guarded Kevin Love........and this is worth thinking about because our bigs aren't known for strong defense. We'll see more of Kevin Love types this year but I'm not sure who would be guarding a very accomplished big player.

BobZag
09-20-2007, 09:39 AM
UCLA earned the right to snub us. If we had beaten them a couple years ago, then we could call them chickens or whatever. But we didn't beat them. It's not like Romar quitting the series after Gonzaga's domination of him.

ZagMania
09-20-2007, 11:33 AM
It looked to me that Batista wanted to be the one to get fouled and close it out on the line, he had DR wide open under the hoop but waited for two defenders to get to him. Can't blame him for wanting to end it, just a heartbreaking game.

Thanks for bringing it up... ;)

MickMick
09-20-2007, 11:35 AM
Things will even out in the end. If Zags earn their stripes, they will face UCLA when it counts....in March.

sanfranzagsguy20
09-20-2007, 12:28 PM
There were two people on JP at the time. One of them clearly fouled him.

ugh!

why did all of you make me think of that game again...

i don't think it was THAT clear when we were all wearing gonzaga colored glasses (yes, gonzaga is a color in this analogy)

but if you wanted a REAL foul called all you have to do is go back and look at that play and look who was standing next to jp, wide open begging for the ball...

it was derek...and if jp (who had a window) would have thought to pass him the ball, we have the nation's best free throw shooter on the line because ucla would have had to foul him

jp was one of my favorites, no question, but there is no denying that he made a crucial mistake in that situation although he, like most of the team, was probably too stunned to be thinking rationally

and awesome...somebody already posted this...oh well should be reinforced anyway...good call zagmania

dim4sum
09-20-2007, 02:53 PM
Those final agonizing minutes that will live forever in infamy. How tragic for JP, maybe a mid second round pick pre-UCLA, seeing his NBA hopes dashed by confirmation of a few scouting report bashes that called JP a liability in the open court. I know this thread is a certainty to reoccur, but it's painful to read.

ZagNut08
09-20-2007, 03:48 PM
I have said it many times, I do not like our press break. I am never a fan of having the ball in a bigs hand, unless he is down the court (which I also like in case you have to throw the ball up...being tall helps)

imo, he was fouled...but that doesnt count for anything

TheZagPhish
09-20-2007, 04:41 PM
That game, that pain is now an essential thread in the story. We will realize its value over time.

The journey is the reward.

Peace.

MDABE80
09-20-2007, 05:47 PM
Dim....I don't think the UCLA game did anything to JP's draft status. Likely it was his HOPS that hurt him. NBA scouts seem to like the big leapers. As much as we all love JP, he was a spectacular college player.....scouts didn't like his athleticism. I'm still thinking he could play in the NBA but I'm pretty much alone on that.

MickMick
09-20-2007, 07:16 PM
Dim....I don't think the UCLA game did anything to JP's draft status. Likely it was his HOPS that hurt him. NBA scouts seem to like the big leapers. As much as we all love JP, he was a spectacular college player.....scouts didn't like his athleticism. I'm still thinking he could play in the NBA but I'm pretty much alone on that.

You are not alone on that thought. The international teams no longer play second fiddle to the NBA and they are loaded with JP style players. For the NBA, it is all about flashy athletics and drawing crowds to see it. Too bad the game itself is secondary to the "superstars". No wonder a Simpsons rerun had more viewers than the NBA finals.