PDA

View Full Version : Game clock running when it shouldn't be

WBM
02-26-2015, 08:01 PM
A big pet peeve of mine is seeing the game clock run down, uninterrupted after a made basket and before the opponent in-bounds the ball. In the last 3 seconds of the first half we just watched, USD would have had 3-4 seconds to make an inbounds pass and a play. Am I happy they didn't make a shot before halftime? Yes, but I would have liked them to have had a fair shot at it.

Does anyone else find that to be very irritating? I hate to see it when we're trailing, and I am upset that it's happening to our opponent. My understanding is that each home team has a clock-operator that is responsible for this, so I say shame on them, but shouldn't the officials be calling this out?

gonzagafan62
02-26-2015, 08:03 PM
I guess I'm on the other side. It's been a rule. Have no problem with it either way.

thegloriousgoateeofKP
02-26-2015, 08:07 PM
What Wichita St. did against us, which I thought was very savvy...we hit a shot with about :39 left in the first half. Clock running. They counted to 4, THEN inbounded it. Shot clock turned off. Brilliant

WBM
02-26-2015, 08:09 PM
What Wichita St. did against us, which I thought was very savvy...we hit a shot with about :39 left in the first half. Clock running. They counted to 4, THEN inbounded it. Shot clock turned off. Brilliant

I think if it's less than 5 seconds, a guy would be right to hold the ball and let the horn sound during a dead ball, 3-4 seconds after the made basket. USD could have done, and I have to imagine a few people would have cared to reexamine the clock in that instance.

I just think it's inconsistent and it's inconsiderate to the other team. You can make a big shot in 5 seconds. Ask Christian Laetner.

KStyles
02-26-2015, 08:14 PM
A big pet peeve of mine is seeing the game clock run down, uninterrupted after a made basket and before the opponent in-bounds the ball. In the last 3 seconds of the first half we just watched, USD would have had 3-4 seconds to make an inbounds pass and a play. Am I happy they didn't make a shot before halftime? Yes, but I would have liked them to have had a fair shot at it.

Does anyone else find that to be very irritating? I hate to see it when we're trailing, and I am upset that it's happening to our opponent. My understanding is that each home team has a clock-operator that is responsible for this, so I say shame on them, but shouldn't the officials be calling this out?

Looks like the stoppage after a made basket doesn't apply at the end of the first half.

The game clock and shot clock, if running, shall be stopped when an official:
Art. 9. Recognizes each successful field goal in the last 59.9 seconds of the
second half or any extra period.

http://www.ncaapublications.com/productdownloads/BR15.pdf (page 60 of the rulebook, page 63 of the pdf)

cscz28
02-26-2015, 08:54 PM
I thought that was college basketball 101 that the clock doesn't stop after a made basket at the end of the first half. Has nothing to do with home cooking

23dpg
02-26-2015, 09:07 PM
I thought that was college basketball 101 that the clock doesn't stop after a made basket at the end of the first half. Has nothing to do with home cooking

This.

It only stops in the last minute of the game.
I'd love to see this rule changed to include the end of the first half.

23dpg
02-26-2015, 09:10 PM

Two years ago vs Butler, we scored with 48 seconds left. The Butler player fumbled with the ball, then held it until 34 seconds left. Purely intentional and savvy, but I don't like it. Rule changed a while ago for the end of the game, change the first half too.

WBM
02-26-2015, 09:11 PM
Looks like the stoppage after a made basket doesn't apply at the end of the first half.

http://www.ncaapublications.com/productdownloads/BR15.pdf (page 60 of the rulebook, page 63 of the pdf)

Wow, I had no idea -- it doesn't really make a lot of sense to me, but a rule is a rule.
That makes me feel better, at least. I was a little miffed because I thought our clock-keeper was shortchanging the opponent. Thanks for clearing it up!
http://rainiernew.wpengine.com/yurts/wp-content/uploads/sites/2/2014/01/The_more_you_know_banner.jpg