PDA

View Full Version : Gary Bell on Dickau show 2/25

Zags11
02-26-2015, 04:03 PM
They asked him where he ranks himself and pangos as backcourt duo in zags history?

Bell said "last. Until we make a s16 or e8 like the others then that is where we are."

He also was asked bout this yrs team and olyniks team. He said this years team is better on offensive side and can score 1 thru 5 but other zag team was better on the defensive side.

DixieZag
02-26-2015, 04:15 PM
He said this years team is better on offensive side and can score 1 thru 5 but other zag team was better on the defensive side.

Well, Gary is in a better place to know. It goes against my natural inclination, but thinking now, Hart better than Wesley? KO's defense over Karno's? Ok - I'll give that Harris' was better than Wiltjer. Though, Wiltjer's most effective defense is scoring 10 more points than you.

Interesting.

Love Gary, like the answer about needing to go far. Hope he's wrong about the defense.

TheZagPhish
02-26-2015, 04:21 PM
...Wiltjer's most effective defense is scoring 10 more points than you.

:clap:

Birddog
02-26-2015, 05:29 PM
Well, Gary is in a better place to know. It goes against my natural inclination, but thinking now, Hart better than Wesley? KO's defense over Karno's? Ok - I'll give that Harris' was better than Wiltjer. Though, Wiltjer's most effective defense is scoring 10 more points than you.

Interesting.

Love Gary, like the answer about needing to go far. Hope he's wrong about the defense.

Your abbreviated analysis sort of answers your quandary. What Bell may not have factored in is how much better he and Kevin are than they were 2 years ago. Hart is a tad better defender and rebounder than Wesley, Harris is better than Wiltjer. Overall, I actually think this years version is slightly better on "D" and the better "O" more than compensates.

RenoZag
02-26-2015, 05:55 PM
Bell said "Last. Until we make a S16 or E8 like the others then that is where we are."

Spoken like an athlete who knows there's unfinished business.

Give him credit for saying out loud what the benchmark is. He could have taken the easy way out and said something along the lines of 'I'll let others make that judgment.' Instead he took it head on.

ValencyLovesZagsInAtlanta
02-26-2015, 06:18 PM
I think everything he said is true. Pretty straight forward and honest. Love that in him. We still have time to grow as a defensive team. The problem is we are vulnerable at spots defensively. I am going to try and just enjoy this and hope for the best. Last time we were a #1 seed and lost I was pretty crushed.

GonzagasaurusFlex
02-26-2015, 06:24 PM
They asked him where he ranks himself and pangos as backcourt duo in zags history?

Bell said "last. Until we make a s16 or e8 like the others then that is where we are."

He also was asked bout this yrs team and olyniks team. He said this years team is better on offensive side and can score 1 thru 5 but other zag team was better on the defensive side.

Gary Bell Jr. is, as they say, the salt of the earth. I love his game and his personality...a great great Zag regardless of how long Zags dance this year.

Zags11
02-27-2015, 07:10 PM
Yea it was a real interview in the sense that he was real.

WallaWallaZag
02-27-2015, 07:56 PM
Your abbreviated analysis sort of answers your quandary. What Bell may not have factored in is how much better he and Kevin are than they were 2 years ago. Hart is a tad better defender and rebounder than Wesley, Harris is better than Wiltjer. Overall, I actually think this years version is slightly better on "D" and the better "O" more than compensates.

olynyk and harris are/were 10x more athletic than karno and wiltjer...karno makes up for some of it with his pure size, but guys like stacy davis run circles around him.

Zags11
02-27-2015, 08:58 PM
Id take this yrs backcourt and 3 guard. Frontcourt is almost equal to me but nod to harris and co.

seacatfan
02-27-2015, 09:11 PM

I'll take Wesley's rebounding over Hart's.

upan8th
02-27-2015, 10:22 PM
I believe GBJ is fully aware that his performance in this year's NC2As is going to be the difference between advancing beyond the sweet 16 in the tourney and another crushing early exit. The burden is his to prove (unfair as it is) that Wichita St would never have converted all those treys if he'd been on the floor to defend. Beyond that, as a someone posted during the USD game: "GBJ's got to MAKE that shot," referring to a wide open three he missed when GU lead by only 7 with less than six minutes to play. So, he not only has to shut down the opponent's best back-court scoring threat, but he MUST knock down at least 50% of those wide-open 3's. Did I mention finishing at the rim. No wonder the young man is stressed. GBJ averages 14 ppg, plays 28 mpg, with 1 TO and 2 assists per game=elite eight for the Zags. Is that asking too much? Time to shine, Gary.

bartruff1
02-28-2015, 06:25 AM
After 4 seasons and some 120 games, Gary doesn't have to prove anything to me..

bigblahla
02-28-2015, 06:54 AM
After 4 seasons and some 120 games, Gary doesn't have to prove anything to me..

Ditto...bart concise and to the point as usual...

Go!! Zags!!!

bballbeachbum
02-28-2015, 07:12 AM
I believe GBJ is fully aware that his performance in this year's NC2As is going to be the difference between advancing beyond the sweet 16 in the tourney and another crushing early exit. The burden is his to prove (unfair as it is) that Wichita St would never have converted all those treys if he'd been on the floor to defend. Beyond that, as a someone posted during the USD game: "GBJ's got to MAKE that shot," referring to a wide open three he missed when GU lead by only 7 with less than six minutes to play. So, he not only has to shut down the opponent's best back-court scoring threat, but he MUST knock down at least 50% of those wide-open 3's. Did I mention finishing at the rim. No wonder the young man is stressed. GBJ averages 14 ppg, plays 28 mpg, with 1 TO and 2 assists per game=elite eight for the Zags. Is that asking too much? Time to shine, Gary.

Putting it all on Gary upan8th, setting up your narrative for this one? 'his performance...is going to be the difference between advancing...and another crushing defeat'? obviously when Gary scores the Zags are better because they don't rely on him to do it, he's a key for sure, but now we have Emac there's actually less pressure on Gary seems to me, not more as you claim. Thoughts on that?

Hopefully Kevin will be the lights out shooter this team depends upon in big games and can break the defensive pressure he's sure to see as much as he is the field general that makes others better, and hopefully Karno will stay out of early foul trouble that handcuffs him the whole game and heaps all the pressure on Sabonis, and hopefully Kyle will fill it up the way this team depends upon him to do it to avoid the 6-7 minute scoreless spells because he is an All American candidate and POW winner and team scoring leader, etc. who takes the pressure off others by scoring--when he doesn't score the pressure goes up on his teammates

Any of those things don't happen, including the things you said about Gary, and this team could struggle with another crushing defeat, don't you think?

But more than that upan8th, I expect that all of the items listed above will not always occur (don't you?), but the key is that if/when GBj or KP or KW aren't hitting the TEAM can adjust and overcome anyway. That's what they've done all year, right? (there are other keys too I think)

Personally regarding Gary, just want him to win his matchup every night and typically for him that means hassling the other team's alpha dog into a poor performance as much as it means hitting 50% from 3

JPtheBeasta
02-28-2015, 07:20 AM
Side note: Although I don't listen all of the time, Dickau and Slim is a cool podcast to have on your phone, computer, or whatever.

Side, side note: They had a good interview with Coach Grier 2-24-15. (If you don't listen really close, you might think he is Mark Few. They have very similar idiosyncrasies to their speech: half-laugh when talking, trailing off at the end of a sentence, sounding like he'd rather be somewhere else at times, emphasis on certain words and drawing out certain words. It's a trip).

Side, side, side note: Kyle Bankhead won't respond Dickau's texts. Grier calls him an ogre (in relation to his bunker mentality during the season). Kind hearted laughs all around. Dickau calls him the best assistant coach in the WCC, and relates that they were college room mates. Slim would take Bankhead over Dickau in a 3-point competition right now. Grier's such a good guy. I have to think he has a home somewhere at GU if things don't ever work out in SD.

DixieZag
02-28-2015, 08:42 AM

This is almost comical. You know a little too much basketball for a post like this.

Gary has absolutely nothing to prove to anyone. He's fought though more pain than any player this side of Stepp - and done it without us even knowing most of the time. He goes through shooting slumps, currently having a little trouble finishing at the rim. Though, ironic that you mentioned "must hit that shot" against USD for two reasons; One, he most certainly did hit one of the biggest shots of the year, the one to bring us from four down to one down against SMC, and, if I recall correctly, a moment after "missing" the shot against USD, he "hit" that same shot while the game still hung in the balance, not to mention getting those critical drives to the hoop to fall in the same time period. Oh, and all while doing a good job on Dee. So, not sure what games you're watching currently.

And, agree, of course, with the redoubtable Bartruff, this man has zero to prove, a quintessential, all-time, miss him to death, winningest, stoic, and selfless Zag who has put every fiber of himself into this program, so much so that I desperately hope he is back in a coaching role at some point. He has nothing to prove.

maynard g krebs
02-28-2015, 01:37 PM
Beyond that, as a someone posted during the USD game: "GBJ's got to MAKE that shot," referring to a wide open three he missed when GU lead by only 7 with less than six minutes to play.

OMFG. Gary made the 3 pointer with 6:07 to go to give the Zags a 10 pt lead. He had missed a couple earlier. He has frequently come through with big shots throughout his career, as those who follow GU basketball know.

I'm more than comfortable with GBJ taking big shots in the next month or 2. He's been a clutch player going back to his hs days.