PDA

View Full Version : Awesome, Awesome Write-Up about Zags-SMC

thegloriousgoateeofKP
02-26-2015, 09:59 AM
"In an instant, I went from thinking the Gaels needed an upgrade to hoping they never get a new gym. That’s because — and I don’t care if you don’t believe me — McKeon Pavilion on Saturday night was as insane of a college basketball atmosphere as I have ever experienced...."

http://grantland.com/the-triangle/ncaa-college-basketball-rankings-kentucky-wildcats-duke-blue-devils-villanova-virginia-cavaliers-gonzaga-bulldogs-wisconsin-badgers-arizona-kansas-jayhawks-iowa-state-cyclones-notre-dame-fighting-iris/

ETA: Kinda makes me wish we'd stayed in the old Kennel

hooter73
02-26-2015, 10:13 AM
Best line:

It was senior night for Brad “Not Omar Samhan” Waldow

but this, this just made me laugh:

If you still think Gonzaga doesn’t deserve to be called one of the nation’s best teams after Saturday, then you’re not paying attention or you just hate the Zags more than Kyle Wiltjer hates defense.

DixieZag
02-26-2015, 10:37 AM
Amazing article.

He knows college basketball and suddenly went to school on why winning on the road in the WCC means something.

Small point of criticism, it might have been nice to have included a sentence or two on how the Zags' heart showed through in getting through that 9 point deficit with 6:00 to play - something to support this beautiful summation:

If you still think Gonzaga doesn’t deserve to be called one of the nation’s best teams after Saturday, then you’re not paying attention or you just hate the Zags more than Kyle Wiltjer hates defense.

Oh, and I can't agree on getting rid of the charge call. If done so, it is true that it rewards a player that stands there cupping his ruts, but it also rewards that guy for getting in position in the first place and keeps offensive players from plowing through anyone standing between them and the basket. Take the charge call away and the person driving to the hole becomes a running back. Just IMO.

zagamatic
02-26-2015, 10:47 AM
Pretty entertaining article,and not just the section on Gonzaga. I liked the part where he said that as an Ohio State alum he'd rather see the Buckeyes have St Marie's home gym/environment than the 19,000+ seat arena that they currently have.

Zagger
02-26-2015, 11:02 AM
Pretty entertaining article,and not just the section on Gonzaga. I liked the part where he said that as an Ohio State alum he'd rather see the Buckeyes have St Marie's home gym/environment than the 19,000+ seat arena that they currently have.

Yeah, that made me think about whether there should be a K3 someday ..... offering seating for say 18,000 fans. Being a Bulldog Club member and being able to get tickets to home games for most of them (not this week!) I've gotten to sit just about in every section of McCarthey. Each place has been a good one - even clear up against the walls. The views from all angles are OK. Building a larger venue at GU prolly isn't a great idea. Pondering further ..... It is nice when GU plays Wazzu or another school at the Coliseum (Arena). I sure wish they'd play at least one game there a year. Spokane really turns out to see the Zags. I'm not sure what the arrangements may be for GU vs. UW next year but when UW comes to Spokane it would be great if it were at the Arena - so that more fans could go.

rennis
02-26-2015, 11:10 AM
Grant Gibbs quote is gold. Unbelievable analogy, I'm stealing that for myself.

thegloriousgoateeofKP
02-26-2015, 12:27 PM
What a cool write up! ...... Here's the Zag-SMC part ......

Zagger, I intentionally didn't paste the whole Gonzaga section. Writers get judged on how many pageviews their articles get.

MDABE80
02-26-2015, 01:10 PM
Gawd this guy writes well. If you've ever been to SMC for a GU game, it's exactly as he depicts it. BONKERS doesn't come close. It can be painful. I don't know how the guys pulled that vistory off. I suspect, SMC simply swooned from the situation...hot, humid, Zags running, etc. It's great we won in that place. Our kids must be tough. Nice pointing out that defense wins games this time of year.........well any time of the year.

Wehn you look at the D1 compnent of the OOC, it's pretty clear this team would NOT get many losses. SOS falls because of the WCC but we win the big ones ( I still think we beat Arizona).

Zagger
02-26-2015, 01:50 PM
Zagger, I intentionally didn't paste the whole Gonzaga section. Writers get judged on how many pageviews their articles get.

OK - I kinda/sorta misread the protocol ...... sorry.

Exclamation Alert: When posting an article
Remember, articles are copyrighted, so post first paragraph as a sort of teaser, then include link to article for readers to continue.

Zag_Dad
02-26-2015, 02:26 PM
Great write up about the atmosphere at McKeon that the GU/SMC rivalry generates. It's a shame that the SMC arena is less than full for the rest of their home games. Gonzaga is truly blessed to have the perfect environment to create a sold out K2 for every home game. As much as the SMC fans like to bash Spokane... they fail to understand that our great city has as much to do with our success as the national hype which our coaches and AD capitalized upon when we became America's Cinderella team.

jake
02-26-2015, 04:25 PM
I remember going to the game in 2006. We were with a lot of GU fans, but also in the very first row of the "upper level" right behind the SMC students. The Gurganious cheering section was right next to us, and they were vocal. The close proximity to the students made for some interesting moments. I thought Grandma Gurganious was going to come to blows with an SMC student at one point. It's definitely a high intensity environment when the gym is packed.

Akzag
02-26-2015, 05:16 PM
We've been following the weekly rankings by Titus in this thread ...

http://guboards.spokesmanreview.com/showthread.php?51772-Titus’s-Top-12-NCAA-Power-Rankings-Weekly-Update

Some good stuff in there if you missed it the first time through.