PDA

View Full Version : GU vs San Diego...Predictions and other thoughts

Reborn
02-25-2015, 04:21 PM
Gonzaga 73
San Diego 55

Wow! This is the next to last game of conference play. It's been a fun year with this great team. I hope we keep the fun up. I'm sure the Kennel Club will be at full throttle; so I'm expecting the team to play quite well. It's always hard to beat San Diego by a lot. Billy Grear just knows Gonzaga too well.

Hoping we play well enough to have everyone play.

Go Zags!!!
One game at a time!

TheZagPhish
02-25-2015, 04:38 PM
ESPN Preview here (http://scores.espn.go.com/ncb/preview?gameId=400587356):

San Diego, however, saw how much more talented these Bulldogs are during a 60-48 defeat Dec. 29. Gonzaga shot 51.9 percent to take a 15-point halftime lead before going 8 of 25 in the second but held the Toreros to a season-low 26.8 percent overall.

"They're a really good team. There's a lot of length and offensively they're really hard to guard, and that's going to put pressure on you that way," said guard Johnny Dee, who was the only San Diego player in double figures with 20 points.

I'll sorta miss Johnny Dee.

I think that the Zags are looking to finish strong. Zags speed 'em up and hit with precision.

SD - 62
GU - 84

gonzagafan62
02-25-2015, 05:15 PM
Dang it. Can't believe our prediction days are numbered. I'm getting sad. Hopefully we make it far this year so these threads continue. Gonzaga 81 San Diego 59

RenoZag
02-25-2015, 06:11 PM
I won't miss Johnny Dee. Guy is a PEST ( which is his job, I know ) He and Anderson are leading the conference in steals per game, Kok is the leading WCC shot blocker. . .Zags will win but Billy's guys will be tough as always. . .the oddsmakers have the Zags favored by 17.5 to 18 points, the over/under is 132.
Once the game is decided, the bench will empty and USD will shrink the margin of victory to something less than the spread. And Few wouldn't run the score up against Grier any way.

GU - 74
USD - 60

Get the Win, Stay healthy, get ready for BYU on Saturday.

Kiddwell
02-25-2015, 08:30 PM
Wanting a "One", a poem
<ahem>
Anderson is tyke-sized,
Dee a six-footer,
Not tall enough,
Plus, Zags are much gooder.
Pangos mans point,
Bell guards and fires,
Zags win it big,
Hustle, perspire.
Next, during post-game,
Players shake hands,
With Sarbaugh & Bailey,
Coach Grier's entire clan.
Then on to the Provites,
(Zags, this's your chance!),
To pummel the Cougs,
Be a "One" in The Dance.

-------
Ranked - 88
Spanked - 62

:]

OK, yeah, one more big journey
Trip to the desert, for the WCC Tourney.

CDC84
02-25-2015, 08:50 PM
The Zags need a consistent defensive performance from beginning to end. Hasn't happened the past 3 games. Their current defensive efficiency ranking is in the low 30's. The team's goal is to be 20 or below.

DixieZag
02-25-2015, 08:55 PM
The Zags need a consistent defensive performance from beginning to end. Hasn't happened the past 3 games. Their current defensive efficiency ranking is in the low 30's. The team's goal is to be 20 or below.

Agree. And I believe this weekend is when they will remedy that situation, bringing the defense to the elite level they are capable of. There is simply no way that Kevin and Gary won't be fully cognizant of the fact that this is their last weekend on that beloved floor and they will leave it all out there on that floor. Any player not matching that level of effort will be glared into conformity.

Zags 77
Not Zags: 56

Zagger
02-26-2015, 02:34 AM
Bakamus combines with Wiltjer for over 30, Triano makes it Tacos, and Griffin with a dunk!
Zags 90 - Billy's Bunch 70
http://www.fowlplaces.com/zags/gozagstinysignguyglassescolor.png

bigblahla
02-26-2015, 05:52 AM
Zags win...go to 29-1....fans across the country whining....they play nobody....idiots...the difference between fans of specific teams and fans of the game is fans of the game get Gonzaga and appreciate the style of play and results....Toreros going down...

Go!! Zags!!!

LongIslandZagFan
02-26-2015, 05:58 AM
Bovine murderers 174
Bulldogs 40

Was going to put pics in but... dang... most were very NSFW.

GonzagasaurusFlex
02-26-2015, 06:30 AM
Agree. And I believe this weekend is when they will remedy that situation, bringing the defense to the elite level they are capable of. There is simply no way that Kevin and Gary won't be fully cognizant of the fact that this is their last weekend on that beloved floor and they will leave it all out there on that floor. Any player not matching that level of effort will be glared into conformity.

Zags 77
Not Zags: 56

+1

As someone stated on some other thread, the schedule is gonna help the Zags peak defensively/intensity wise at the right time too. 2nd-half of St. Mary's got our guys back into the proper defensive mindset, these last two home games of their career for Bell and Pangos will help focus the team too, and BYU should certainly keep the intensity level peaking as they are playing their best ball of the season. WCC tourney will for sure force the Zags to play with uber intensity and focus because it's a lose and go home for the season scenario for every team they will face.

stevet75
02-26-2015, 06:38 AM
Zags win by 19. They will be up by 25 at some point, but will back off of the throttle about three quarters of the way through the second half.

Hoopaholic
02-26-2015, 06:39 AM
Defensive slug fest

Zags 66
SD 52

Reborn
02-26-2015, 08:41 AM
Thursday is finally here. Seems like a long wait from Saturday to Thursday, but it's finally here. Can hardly wait to see our Zags play again. And they're back in K2 for the final weekend. Fans will be pumped up, and the Kennel club is going to be crazy good. It's been a tough road for the Zags, and (imo) they deserve to finish it off at home. I believe they began the season with 3 road games, including San Diego and BYU. It's been a great year so far, and we'll get more of the Zag Greatness. I expect this weekend to be like looking at a great and beautiful piece of art work. I can hardly wait to see it.

Go Zags!!!

77Zag
02-26-2015, 08:52 AM
Zags 80.5
Toreros 62.5

Go Zags - Beat SDU!!

rennis
02-26-2015, 09:19 AM
Gonzaga 80
SandyEggo 65

jim77
02-26-2015, 10:01 AM
Johnny Dee has had a terrific career....wouldn't be surprised to see somebody at the next level give him a look. I see a close game tonight...Zags 74 SD 68.

007Zag
02-26-2015, 10:07 AM
GU 78
USD 56

Up by 28 with 4 minutes to play, Few empties the bench and the Toreros make the final score look closer than it really was.

Mr Vulture
02-26-2015, 12:20 PM
San Diego always plays us tough and there is a slight chance the team is looking ahead to Senior Night versus BYU. I think we still win but closer than the talent would dictate.

Gonzaga - 73
San Diego - 62

maynard g krebs
02-26-2015, 02:04 PM
71-54

U Zig, I Zag
02-26-2015, 02:26 PM
Thursday is finally here. Seems like a long wait from Saturday to Thursday, but it's finally here. Can hardly wait to see our Zags play again. And they're back in K2 for the final weekend. Fans will be pumped up, and the Kennel club is going to be crazy good. It's been a tough road for the Zags, and (imo) they deserve to finish it off at home. I believe they began the season with 3 road games, including San Diego and BYU. It's been a great year so far, and we'll get more of the Zag Greatness. I expect this weekend to be like looking at a great and beautiful piece of art work. I can hardly wait to see it.

Go Zags!!!

'Born hit the magic 8K post mark... I believe that's a gold watch or a pen set? Not sure.

RenoZag
02-26-2015, 02:41 PM
'Born hit the magic 8K post mark... I believe that's a gold watch or a pen set? Not sure.

"Please accept this laurel, and hardy handshake. . ."

ZaGranny
02-26-2015, 02:52 PM

I wuz robbed! I have had over 3,000 points since I had to change user names a couple of years ago, and I had over 5,000 before I changed! I want my imaginary gold watch or pen set.

ZaGranny

TheZagPhish
02-26-2015, 02:54 PM

"A laurel and hardy handshake. . ."

I got a globe. :-/

gonzagafan62
02-26-2015, 03:21 PM
So that must mean I get paper

Zags11
02-26-2015, 04:00 PM
Zags 71
SD 57

Pangos 17

Martin Centre Mad Man
02-26-2015, 04:56 PM
Bovine murderers 174
Bulldogs 40

Was going to put pics in but... dang... most were very NSFW.

Fixed it for ya'.

http://fc09.deviantart.net/fs29/i/2008/069/4/7/Bully_For_Bugs_by_napoleonxvi.jpg

http://images2.fanpop.com/images/polls/278000/278665_1249349270121_full.jpg

Mantua
02-26-2015, 05:22 PM
Last year's record against San Diego wasn't so great. Lost by 3 at their place, won by 3 at our place.

Reborn
02-26-2015, 05:36 PM
Wow!!!! 8,000 posts. That's a lot. I never even noticed and haven't followed how many posts I have created probably since 1000. I think that the 1000th post was pretty cool. Other then that, i've been on the Board/Foruom for a lot of years. I'm not what you'd call an old timer, but i've been around awhile. I used to post like crazy years ago...and you think my posts are long now, you should have seen 'em back then. Believe it or not I work continuously to shorten 'em. I think I made it to 1000 posts faster then anyone ever. Bloggers here used to ask me I've I hired secretaries to write up posts for me. hahahhahah I think that that one was the funniest thing every said about me in all these years. And I love to laugh. I think the other thing that really bugged a few people was how I always put 3 exclamation marks after Go Zags. Hahahahh hilarious to me. As I continue to get old my love for this small community who posts here grows stronger each year. I have so much fun here. Call me any kind of name that you want. I'm 67 and proud to be an active member on this Board.

Go Zags!!!
One game at a time!

Reborn
02-26-2015, 05:37 PM
Fixed it for ya'.

http://fc09.deviantart.net/fs29/i/2008/069/4/7/Bully_For_Bugs_by_napoleonxvi.jpg

http://images2.fanpop.com/images/polls/278000/278665_1249349270121_full.jpg

Nice pics!

Go Zags!!!

Reborn
02-26-2015, 09:24 PM
DixieZag wins by one point. He had the Zags winning by 19. 4 or 5 of us had them winning by either 18 or 22. We were two points off. No one predicted a score this low. Two weeks in a row now that the Zags don't come out of the gates ready to play. Ugly basketball these last two games. I am beginning to wonder if they have peaked. To me the first half looked like the Zags were doing everything to not blow USD out because their old coach coaches USD now. I doubt if Grier was at GU when any of these guys came to GU to play. It has to be Few. He just will NOT BURY USD. We did bury them the second half. Zags really should have won by 30.

Go Zags!!!

U Zig, I Zag
02-26-2015, 09:31 PM
DixieZag wins by one point. He had the Zags winning by 19. 4 or 5 of us had them winning by either 18 or 22. We were two points off. No one predicted a score this low. Two weeks in a row now that the Zags don't come out of the gates ready to play. Ugly basketball these last two games. I am beginning to wonder if they have peaked. To me the first half looked like the Zags were doing everything to not blow USD out because their old coach coaches USD now. I doubt if Grier was at GU when any of these guys came to GU to play. It has to be Few. He just will NOT BURY USD. We did bury them the second half. Zags really should have won by 30.

Go Zags!!!

If Few doesn't attempt to blow out USD because his old friend coaches there... well, that explains all the early exits in the tourney.

I hear yah, but if THAT'S the reason, we are in big trouble.

gonzagafan62
02-26-2015, 09:34 PM
Overthinking it

Zagger
02-26-2015, 09:42 PM
?.....I am beginning to wonder if they have peaked. ......
Naw, we're just lulling the competition into a state of complacency. :)

Honestly, from what we keep seeing from these Zags is the ability to take over a game. 29-1 is pretty darn good proof of that. Also, why blow a team out? I may predict blow out scores but that's just boasting up the Zags. This bunch of Zags is a winning bunch of Zags. Next up BYU! And I'll go with another 90-70 Zag win :)
Another also, the talking heads in post game comments mentioned that the only other team with a larger winning point spread margin is Kentucky. Go Zags!

JPtheBeasta
02-26-2015, 09:50 PM

Go Zags!!!

I tend to agree with on many things, but unless Few coached his guys to miss wide open shots and get called for fouls trying to get around moving screens, he didn't seem to be doing Grier any special favors.

roxdoc
02-26-2015, 10:22 PM
Hope we are better prepared if we have to play Virginia in the dance.

SwainZag
02-26-2015, 11:18 PM
Hope we are better prepared if we have to play Virginia in the dance.

If we get to play Virginia, that means we made a helleva run already......just sayin' :)

TexasZagFan
02-27-2015, 05:13 AM

Go Zags!!!

The Toreros didn't get the memo, hitting 21% from the field in the first half.