PDA

View Full Version : Three reasons Zags could win national champship Huffington Post

flytiezag
02-25-2015, 09:44 AM
Good evaluation. http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2015/02/24/3-reasons-why-gonzaga_n_6730314.html

Zag_Dad
02-25-2015, 09:54 AM
Good evaluation. http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2015/02/24/3-reasons-why-gonzaga_n_6730314.html

They didn't even mention our talented and deep bench, the fact that our senior guards will be playing in their fourth NCAA tournament or that the first two rounds will be played in our home State (or at worst just across the border in Portland).

Things really are lining up well for this team! Holding my breath on selection Sunday that we don't end up in a weird bracket with some hot shooting team that no one has really noticed this year.

Zagger
02-25-2015, 10:44 AM
They didn't even mention our talented and deep bench, the fact that our senior guards will be playing in their fourth NCAA tournament or that the first two rounds will be played in our home State (or at worst just across the border in Portland).

Things really are lining up well for this team! Holding my breath on selection Sunday that we don't end up in a weir bracket with some hot shooting team that no one has really noticed this year.

Good D should help negate a hot shooting team (it'd have to be excellent D to put a damper on hot shooting). I think the Zags have 'excellent' D in them. Yes, they don't say much about depth excepting mentioning Dontmiss. Depth IS key for the Zags. It's going to be darn hard for Zag opponents to scout all the Zags that will likely see game time in the NCAAs. How will an opponent play Draino, Melson, EMc and maybe even Griffin? 3 of these 4 could see considerable game time. If Nunez is OK to play then that's another arrow in the Zag quiver that other teams will have a hard time playing against.
My NCAA fears keep changing .... and they're all centered around Zag play - not who they may get as an opponent. I feel the Zags can beat anyone - IF (here's where my fears come in) they don't turnover the ball doing foolish moves: driving into the lane and bouncing the ball off their own foot (when they could pass it out), passing the ball to a player who has moved, tossing too low or too high of a lob, allowing themselves to get trapped in a press, and making too many non-shot guarding fouls. I feel the Zags will win oodles of games if they get and keep possession. They're too good at shooting not to put up a higher score than their opponents IF they don't 'give' the ball to their opponents. Free throw shooting is less of a worry of mine than it was. I also feel that the desire to win in these Zags will be high enough that going after loose balls will favor the Zags in who gets those balls. My final worry is getting shots blocked by taller and/or more leapy teams than the Zags are used to (or getting the ball stripped by more D aggressive teams than their WCC play experience).
Boy, looking back on what I wrote makes me look like a worry wort! I'm really not that worried in the Zags and even with some mistakes I feel the Zags are going to go deep. This bunch of Zags is ready and has a knack of molding to what's needed in a game to pull it out. Also ..... the team has a few games left! They keep improving and even Thursday's game with San Diego is going to be a challenge. SD is good and they know the Zags. Same goes for BYU. Then there's Vegas with the Usual Suspects badly wanting to beat the Zags. Too keep winning in the WCC will require pedal to the metal play and sharp concentration/focus.

jim77
02-25-2015, 10:49 AM
Love the articles.....but go to the comments section first. They say comedy is good for ya....always find some good gut busting ones in there. GO ZAGS!