PDA

View Full Version : Calipari's tweet about Kyle Wiltjer

ZaGranny
02-23-2015, 11:08 AM
John Calipari ‏@UKCoachCalipari 59m59 minutes ago
Proud of @kwiltj, who just won his second national POW honor. He's on a long list of players who say I've held them back. Love ya, kid.

Notice how he makes it all about him? And I can't recall KW every saying Calipari held him back.

ZaGranny

MDABE80
02-23-2015, 11:26 AM
Odd thing to add...the "long list of players who say I've held them back".......I've ot heard that before. Kyle just wasn't Cal's type of player. See what he's got today is his dream group. Kyle just isn't one of Cal's type. He did well in his frosh year ( 6th man award, etc) but the dropoff his second year must have left him disheartened. I'm just glad he found his way home....here at Gonzaga,.

rennis
02-23-2015, 11:33 AM
Nice compliment, I'm not reading too much into the holding back comment. Good on Calipari...most coaches won't show admiration for a "defector"

Birddog
02-23-2015, 11:53 AM
I think Cal was joking, like the joke that Dean Smith was the only guy to hold Michael Jordan to under 20 a game.

Mr Vulture
02-23-2015, 11:54 AM
I personally have no issue with Calipari and what he does at Kentucky. However, that is a pathetic, back handed compliment if I've ever seen one. Not sure it came out how he meant it as it looks really bad on him...

Nice compliment, I'm not reading too much into the holding back comment. Good on Calipari...most coaches won't show admiration for a "defector"

jchocolate99
02-23-2015, 12:31 PM
I think you guys are reading way too much into it... him and kyle have a good relationship and still keep in contact... it was a joke relax and nice sentiment from Calipari to a former player

LongIslandZagFan
02-23-2015, 12:36 PM
He was, in many ways, holding him back. From what I see, UK doesn't really focus on preparing each player physically and mentally, they seem to be expected to do this on their own... Mostly because they aren't expected to be there more than a year or two anyhow. The fact that Kyle was actually doing damage to his body by working out on his own with other players is extremely telling of how that ship is run.

Zagceo
02-23-2015, 12:37 PM
I think Cal was joking, like the joke that Dean Smith was the only guy to hold Michael Jordan to under 20 a game.

Agree

seacatfan
02-23-2015, 12:44 PM
Off thing to add...the "long list of players who say I've held them back".......I've ot heard that before. Kyle just wasn't Cal's type of player. See what he's got today is his dream group. Kyle just isn't one of Cal's type. He did well in his frosh year ( 6th man award, etc) but the dropoff his second year must have left him disheartened. I'm just glad he found his way hom....here at Gonzaga,.

You've got that completely backwards. He played sparingly as a freshman on the National Championship team. He was 6th man of the year in the SEC as a soph, although Kentucky didn't even make the Tournament that year.

Zagger
02-23-2015, 01:53 PM
John Calipari ‏@UKCoachCalipari 59m59 minutes ago
Proud of @kwiltj, who just won his second national POW honor. He's on a long list of players who say I've held them back. Love ya, kid.

Notice how he makes it all about him? And I can't recall KW every saying Calipari held him back.

ZaGranny

The way I read the quote is that Calipari is proud of Wiltjer (first sentence). The the 2nd sentence is a bit of a ribbing in that .... how could Calipari have held him back if he's now a POW? The whole 'holding back' part is highly comparative and situational. UK gets the cream of the crop. There's 'whipping cream' level cream when you go to buy the dairy product and there's 'heavy whipping cream' - that, by this coffee drinker's experience, is the best stuff. Kyle was cream of the crop nationally but not necessarily on his UK team - others on the team were the 'heavy' cream.

It's likely a lengthy debate to discuss how much Kyle improved as a player while at UK. I'd venture a common sense quess and side with the reasoning that he improved while at UK (and definitely improved some more at GU). Kyle was IMHO only really held back since he wasn't a starter.

KellyO at one point thought about a transfer from GU. What if he had? And then blossomed into what he became at another school. It could be perceived that GU had held him back. Players change, things happen, yadda yadda. Look at Coleman. He may have left feeling that being a Zag held him back - then he apparently had academic issues which bounced him off his next school's team (only stated from stuff I heard on this forum). If Coleman had stayed a Zag it may have been better for him.

zag67
02-23-2015, 03:40 PM
I also agree that Cal is proud of what KW has done. I have also read many times how they are still friends and that they do correspond. He did have a great game and Dean Smith was able to hold Jordan under 20 a game.

Bogozags
02-23-2015, 03:41 PM

+1

MDABE80
02-23-2015, 04:16 PM
You've got that completely backwards. He played sparingly as a freshman on the National Championship team. He was 6th man of the year in the SEC as a soph, although Kentucky didn't even make the Tournament that year.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kyle_Wiltjer lol Good point.

DOesn't matter anyway. Kyle was simply NOT going to get many significant minutes with this present bunch at Kentucky. Must be a joke. I don't think Cal would say that in anything BUT a joking way.

FuManShoes
02-23-2015, 04:30 PM
I think KW was cool with it

http://i.imgur.com/mMAIsuf.png (https://twitter.com/kwiltj/status/569944869881249792)

deathchina
02-23-2015, 04:59 PM
It was a joke. Relax. I think if Coach Cal donated a million dollars to a homeless shelter you guys would find something wrong with it....

rennis
02-23-2015, 05:09 PM
It was a joke. Relax. I think if Coach Cal donated a million dollars to a homeless shelter you guys would find something wrong with it....

LOL... no kidding

seacatfan
02-23-2015, 06:30 PM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kyle_Wiltjer lol Good point.

DOesn't matter anyway. Kyle was simply NOT going to get many significant minutes with this present bunch at Kentucky. Must be a joke. I don't think Cal would say that in anything BUT a joking way.

I agree. UK keeps loading up on elite freshmen every year, no guarantees the upperclassmen are going to get significant minutes. Wiltjer obviously had talent all along but it just wasn't a good fit at UK.

TheZagPhish
02-23-2015, 06:53 PM

Well... Where'd that million come from? Just seems fishy.

:D

sittingon50
02-23-2015, 07:09 PM
Well... Where'd that million come from? Just seems fishy.

:D

Brylcreem endorsement.

UberZagFan
02-23-2015, 10:30 PM
I agree. UK keeps loading up on elite freshmen every year, no guarantees the upperclassmen are going to get significant minutes. Wiltjer obviously had talent all along but it just wasn't a good fit at UK.

Really? You have to earn minutes. And nothing wrong with competition. Cauley-Stein is a JR and 2nd in minutes for Kentucky. The Harrison twins are 1 and 3 in minutes. And they are sophs. Earn the minutes in UK's system and you get them. Nothing wrong than with that, IUHO.

And for the OP, it looks like much respect for KW with a little jab thrown in. How many other coaches do you even see caring/commenting on a player that transferred from his program? Nice to see Coach Cal still paying attention.

ZagaZags
02-24-2015, 12:56 AM
Really? You have to earn minutes. And nothing wrong with competition. Cauley-Stein is a JR and 2nd in minutes for Kentucky. The Harrison twins are 1 and 3 in minutes. And they are sophs. Earn the minutes in UK's system and you get them. Nothing wrong than with that, IUHO.

And for the OP, it looks like much respect for KW with a little jab thrown in. How many other coaches do you even see caring/commenting on a player that transferred from his program? Nice to see Coach Cal still paying attention.

Rex Walters loves his old transfers. I bet he tweets them all the time.

:jk:

Kong-Kool-Aid
02-25-2015, 11:00 AM
http://www.spokesman.com/stories/2015/feb/25/gu-basketball-notes-byron-wesley-made-the-right/

Kyle Wiltjer and John Calipari, his former coach at Kentucky, exchanged tweets this week after Wiltjer was honored by two national outlets as player of the week.

Tweeted Calipari: “Proud of (Wiltjer), who just won his second national POW honor. He’s on a long list of players who say I’ve held them back. Love ya, kid.”

Replied Wiltjer: “Appreciate the support coach, right back at you.”

Wiltjer explained that his former coach wasn’t jabbing him. “No, not at all,” Wiltjer said. “It’s kind of a joke he always used to say, like ‘Anthony Davis only averaged 7 points, he held him down.’ He texted me and he’s really happy about everything.”