PDA

View Full Version : Brackets

jazzdelmar
02-23-2015, 08:24 AM
http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/bracketology

Today. OSU in Round of 32, by far the toughest 8/9 team. Zona, a 2 seed, gets Iowa/Ole Miss, then Butler/ND. Zags would get Shockers in S16. Sure, seems perfectly fair. :( What Beezer wd call the Group of Death.

rennis
02-23-2015, 08:28 AM

Today. OSU in Round of 32, by far the toughest 8/9 team. Zona, a 2 seed, gets Iowa/Ole Miss, then Butler/ND. Zags would get Shockers in S16. Sure, seems perfectly fair. :( What Beezer wd call the Group of Death.

I've been saying it for a while - Ohio State is one of the teams you don't want to see on the 10/9/8/7 line. That is a twitchy team. Capable of losing game one. Also Capable of going 4 rounds.

kitzbuel
02-23-2015, 09:00 AM
A GU/Arizona Elite 8 match up would be great TV, at least on the West Coast.

FuManShoes
02-23-2015, 09:02 AM
http://i.imgur.com/HCObBMC.png

Zagdawg
02-23-2015, 09:10 AM
LOL -- well played......

ValencyLovesZagsInAtlanta
02-23-2015, 09:46 AM
Murray State could do some real damage in this bracket. Cameron Payne the best guard no one has heard about. Maybe you have??? Assuming they get in that team is dangerous.

krozman
02-23-2015, 09:56 AM
Is it a matter of convenience or reliable practice that Arizona gets the west region's 2 seed? I thought the seeding really just guaranteed the POD, not the region as well.....unless you're the 1 seed.

seacatfan
02-23-2015, 10:44 AM
I'm just not getting the fear of Ohio St. They are totally mediocre. How are they different from the OSU the Zags beat in the Tourney last year? Although D'Angelo Russell kinda fits the profile of a guy that would light up the Zags for 35 points. What do they have other than him?

This bracket looks screwy, could have UCLA and Arizona meeting in the Sweet 16 round. Not like there are 8 Pac 12 teams included, they should be spread out better than that.

Xavier vs. Dayton in a 8/9 game looks intriguing.

webspinnre
02-23-2015, 11:01 AM
Is it a matter of convenience or reliable practice that Arizona gets the west region's 2 seed? I thought the seeding really just guaranteed the POD, not the region as well.....unless you're the 1 seed.

They've changed things such that they try to do it geographically where possible, by preference within seeds. For example, the top 1 seed gets the closest, 2nd 1 gets next closest, etc, and then with 2s, 3s and 4s. After that, there isn't supposed to be geographic preference.

GonzaGAW
02-23-2015, 03:49 PM
all just fun speculation at this point

- i'm glad to finally see sdsu off our 8 line, i do not like that match up at all.
- out west, i'd just as soon have the 2 seed. the 7-10 and 3-6 teams do not scare me as much as osu and possibly wsu. but i think we can handle oklahoma easily.

would not want to be kansas with it's 2 seed, sdsu followed by u.n.c.

i like the kentucky v louisville match up, that could be the team to trip up kentucky maybe, just the rivalry and emotion pushing louisville over the top.

zagsfanforlife
02-23-2015, 04:30 PM
Louisville is terrible. This is the team that everyone is using as reference to why Kentucky is so dominating? "Well the SEC is down, but they beat Louisville @ louisville!"

Louisville probably isnt even a top 25 team. I will say it again so everyone can bash me if it happens. KENTUCKY WILL NOT MAKE THE FINAL 4.

thebigsmoove
02-23-2015, 04:38 PM
I'm just not getting the fear of Ohio St. They are totally mediocre. How are they different from the OSU the Zags beat in the Tourney last year?

To be clear, the "OSU" we met last year was Oklahoma State, Not Ohio State. That being said, Ohio State is not at all a team im worried about come tourney time. We have more than enough weapons to make them look pedestrian.

I think everyone should realize that while Joe Lunardi gets the teams correct pretty frequently, He is MUCH less accurate at predicting which region all the teams end up in. Its kinda a grab bag come selection sunday.

gonzagafan62
02-23-2015, 04:39 PM

Ohio state reminds me of last years okie state. Talented but wasted talent.

gonzagafan62
02-23-2015, 04:42 PM
Louisville is terrible. This is the team that everyone is using as reference to why Kentucky is so dominating? "Well the SEC is down, but they beat Louisville @ louisville!"

Louisville probably isnt even a top 25 team. I will say it again so everyone can bash me if it happens. KENTUCKY WILL NOT MAKE THE FINAL 4.
So by your logic neither will the zags. Kentucky has the secon most BPI top 50 wins in the country (9) while Kansas has the most at 11. Kentuckys strength of schedule is not one to joke about.

kyle dixon
02-23-2015, 06:33 PM
Give the zags a 2 or 3 seed and pack a lunch. Then just win baby!

rennis
02-23-2015, 07:01 PM
I'm just not getting the fear of Ohio St. They are totally mediocre. How are they different from the OSU the Zags beat in the Tourney last year? Although D'Angelo Russell kinda fits the profile of a guy that would light up the Zags for 35 points. What do they have other than him?

Russell is exactly what scares me. That dude is the kind of player who could snatch the Zags' lunch money. More than likely OSU wouldn't have the horses...but a mediocre shooting night for GU and a light-em-up performance by Russell is what would keep me up the night before the game. And other than Russell they have Loving...a 3 point shooting big man that has been our front court's Achilles heel all year (think Jett Raines, but perhaps more athletic and a better shooter on the perimeter.)

Other than that Tate is no slouch when he's playing well. They are weak at center, Karno would have a field day if his bunnies weren't rimming out. They have a cast of role players around them that play, on average, good defense because they're athletic and coached by Matta. He is a defense-first coach, and he would game plan exceptionally well for GU, that I'm confident of.

seacatfan
02-23-2015, 07:20 PM
To be clear, the "OSU" we met last year was Oklahoma State, Not Ohio State. That being said, Ohio State is not at all a team im worried about come tourney time. We have more than enough weapons to make them look pedestrian.

I think everyone should realize that while Joe Lunardi gets the teams correct pretty frequently, He is MUCH less accurate at predicting which region all the teams end up in. Its kinda a grab bag come selection sunday.

I know the 2 OSU's aren't the same team, but they have the same initials, both are Big 5 conference teams and both muddled through the season in question with no consistency and while they have talented players, aren't/weren't close to elite teams.

seacatfan
02-23-2015, 07:26 PM
Russell is exactly what scares me. That dude is the kind of player who could snatch the Zags' lunch money. More than likely OSU wouldn't have the horses...but a mediocre shooting night for GU and a light-em-up performance by Russell is what would keep me up the night before the game. And other than Russell they have Loving...a 3 point shooting big man that has been our front court's Achilles heel all year (think Jett Raines, but perhaps more athletic and a better shooter on the perimeter.)

Other than that Tate is no slouch when he's playing well. They are weak at center, Karno would have a field day if his bunnies weren't rimming out. They have a cast of role players around them that play, on average, good defense because they're athletic and coached by Matta. He is a defense-first coach, and he would game plan exceptionally well for GU, that I'm confident of.

That's a good summary. I forgot about their Sr. PG Shannon Scott. He was putting up big assist numbers early in the season, although I haven't followed them very closely as the season has progressed. Definitely Russell can catch fire and put a ton of points on the scoreboard. Still have a bit of nightmares from Steph Curry and Jimmer torching the Zags in years gone by. Okie State had some talented, athletic players, their PG Smart in particular many GU fans were concerned about last year. Nobody went off for the Cowboys and Zags led wire to wire IIRC. IF this GU team is as good, deep and talented as most here think, Ohio St. should not be able to beat them.

Reborn
02-23-2015, 09:10 PM
I wouldn't mind playing them at all. After all, they knocked us out of the Dance a few years back when Kevin and Gary were Freshmen I believe. Then we'd get Wichita St, and i'd like to play them this year too. And then to end it all, play Arizona in the Elite 8. That is a dream schedule to me, and I am not afraid of any of these teams, and in fact, I hope the Zags have to play good teams. It will prepare them for Arizona in a way that the WCC could not.

Go Zags!!!
One game at a time

ZagaZags
02-23-2015, 09:57 PM
Took an hour and threw together a projected Field of 68 (as of today):

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/B-j8UaYCQAASs30.jpg

gonzagafan62
02-23-2015, 10:30 PM
Took an hour and threw together a projected Field of 68 (as of today):

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/B-j8UaYCQAASs30.jpg

I actually like his field but the play in games for the 12s are impossible. Must have 4 to play in the first round games. Nice seedlings though.... Harvard valpo and wofford are all auto qualifiers.

MDABE80
02-23-2015, 10:56 PM

Lots of payback candidate in our region.