PDA

View Full Version : 3/4 Press Proving Rather Effective

Zag4Hire
02-22-2015, 05:43 AM
The 3/4 press was instrumental in both the USF and SMC games and I think Few has rolled this out more due to the personnel. When you have that many athletic, disciplined, and savvy guards on the court, they work it to perfection. Even when it didn't yield a TO from SMC, it made them more impatient when they finally got into their half court set. You could tell Bennett wanted to drain the clock each time (Jeez, do you recall that multi-possession string where there was a foul on GBJ and Melson...SMC seemingly had the ball for a 1 1/2 minutes!). It could be a valuable tool to have in the box come tourney time but obviously it depends on the team you are playing. However, it is good they have utilized it rather effectively in hostile environments.

Marcus
02-22-2015, 07:15 AM
I loved seeing that. The 10 sec call really put a stamp on things. All the guys were so pumped after that, the bench guys too. It definitely changed the game. As someone else stated, as St. Mary's was trying to use most of the shot clock, the extra time it took for them to get into there sets really affected them. Instead of taking a good shot with 10s left they were scrambling with under 5 once it got to Waldo.

CdAZagFan
02-22-2015, 07:36 AM
You said it Zag4Hire... I think it has to do with personnel. I really like it when EM is in there - his quickness is made for that trapping.

jazzdelmar
02-22-2015, 07:52 AM
You said it Zag4Hire... I think it has to do with personnel. I really like it when EM is in there - his quickness is made for that trapping.

I missed most of EMs play. How did he do?

bulldoginpdx
02-22-2015, 08:11 AM
I was impressed with the shot and stroke on his only three point attempt.

NotoriousZ
02-22-2015, 10:31 AM
I hope we see them press a whole lot more. Use that deep bench, Zags!

jazzdelmar
02-22-2015, 10:34 AM
More of that next year what with all the backline talent we will have.

CDC84
02-22-2015, 12:14 PM
It's a strategy that won't consistently work against a team that has really good guards.....which tends to happen as you advance further and further into the tournament. I am always reminded of the 1996 Kentucky national title team that had an incredible full court press but who completely backed off of it once they reached the elite 8.

I thought Few would go zone in the 2nd half to get SMC out of their offensive flow, but indeed, the press helped do that.

MickMick
02-22-2015, 12:22 PM
It's a strategy that won't work against a team that has really good guards.....which tends to happen as you advance further and further into the tournament. I am always reminded of the 1996 Kentucky national title team that had an incredible full court press but who completely backed off of it once they reached the elite 8.

I thought Few would go zone in the 2nd half to get SMC out of their offensive flow, but indeed, the press helped do that.

Demetri Goodson could beat the press without any help.

I think of the press like a blitz in football. High risk, high reward. When your press gets beat, it typically gets beat bad. It can, however, work in spurts, when the opponent is not expecting it (just like the blitz in football). I believe it is best used as a situational defense entirely dependent on the opponent's line up or upon game situations typically derived from desperation, overcoming a large deficit with limited time to do so.

Zag4Hire
02-22-2015, 12:57 PM
I am no basketball tactician but that is why a 3/4 press is good for this team. The full court press teams like Louisville almost have to do it all the time because as others have pointed out, you can get beat bad or give a possibly bad offensive team easy opportunities. The good thing about the way the Zags have executed it they almost make the 3 potential ball handlers stay in a straight line across when it seems to the best way is to stretch the defense or at least get away from the best ballhandler and have him beat his man 1-on-1. The Zags almost sag into a 3/4 man hybrid zone. The Zags are very disciplined on the ball movement and it is definitely a good thing to have in the rotation. Will it be a saving grace come tourney time? No. Will work against all teams? No. Is it good to have? You bet.

zagamatic
02-22-2015, 11:56 PM
To me,it's kind of a deceptive press. When I think of a typical press,I think of one that's meant to speed up a player into making bad decisions or just simply relying on raw athleticism to make a play. The press our guys are running this year almost seems intent on baiting the opposing team into making long,high-arcing passes across court which eats up time, or waiting for them to cross half-court near the sidelines and trap them in that dreaded coffin corner. It seems to be working quite well. And I think that it suits the type of personnel that Few likes to recruit in general. I mean, do you think that anyone on this team got recruited with the expectations that they're going to play on a high pressure pressing team like Louisville? Um,that would be a no. And, in a way,it can be more effective if it's employed against teams that are confused by the purpose of this style of press. It may not be a complicated scheme, but it can still cause a few turnovers during the other teams learning curve.