PDA

View Full Version : Chip on My Shoulder (Rankings)

TexasZagFan
02-21-2015, 10:35 PM
I went back and looked at the polls for Dec 29th, the Monday following our first conference game, a win on the road at BYU, one that any knowledgeable basketball fan would call a quality win.

Zags were 7th in one poll, 8th in another, with a record of 12-1.

We've gone from America's Team, to a bunch of Rodney Dangerfields. Funny how the experts cast aside our OOC, and focus strictly on the "lack of competition" from the WCC.

Of course, we all know the only way to silence the critics is a deep run in the Dance. I'm looking forward to our men having a chip of their own in March.

Unlike previous years, I think the time off between the WCC Tournament and the start of the NCAA will be good for us. Lots of scrimmages, and time to heal the bumps and bruises.

caduceus
02-21-2015, 10:54 PM
It's a weird dynamic in the media this year. Not sure why. Probably in part because the WCC, while improved as a whole, doesn't have another standout team as is customary. The Zags OOC RPI is 5 at this point. I'm more concerned about the committee than the strange media this year. Personally, I think the Zags will be rewarded for 1) scheduling one of the toughest OOC schedules in the country, 2) having the 2nd best W/L record in all of D1 basketball, and 3) no bad losses. All this crap on ESPN about Zags being a 2-seed is nonsense as long as we keep taking care of business.

As of tonight, the Zags are the only team in D1 with 28 freaking wins.

ZagsGoZags
02-21-2015, 11:13 PM
I think we would have had one of the toughest OOC schedules in the country, if AZ had remained in the top3, and UCLA, St. Johns, BYU, St. Mary's and Memphis had played even up to their usual national average rankings for the last few years. Too bad the win over SMU is our best win, and only win over any ranked team. Not our fault, but this fact makes me wonder where our SOS ranking OOC would be in the nation.

this website identifies the need for an answer to this question.
http://www.teamrankings.com/ncaa-basketball/ranking/non-conference-sos-by-other

I am not talking about the whole season SOS, just before conference play began

Martin Centre Mad Man
02-22-2015, 03:33 AM
I don't think it is about a lack of respect. There are actually just a lot of really good teams at the top of college basketball, this season.

Birddog
02-22-2015, 03:36 AM
It is what it is and the Zags are likely a 2 seed out West. If Wisconsin, Virginia, and Duke finish strong it's probably a correct assessment IMO. Nothing wrong with being the top 2 seed. Zags still have to win out too, not that easy as we saw.

Zagger
02-22-2015, 04:28 AM
I don't think it is about a lack of respect. There are actually just a lot of really good teams at the top of college basketball, this season.

My feeling too. I think the Zags can achieve a #1 seed if they really shine in the last K2 games and in Vegas. Should the team win out but struggle and show weaknesses - then we're a 2 seed IMHO. Won't be long before we know. For now I'm fully savoring what the Zag's have accomplished so far. Amazing season! Go Zags!

Hoopaholic
02-22-2015, 05:31 AM
It is what it is and the Zags are likely a 2 seed out West. If Wisconsin, Virginia, and Duke finish strong it's probably a correct assessment IMO. Nothing wrong with being the top 2 seed. Zags still have to win out too, not that easy as we saw.

problem with that scenario is who would be penalized by being sent west as one seed?

Zag4Hire
02-22-2015, 05:49 AM
My question is do you think there were more haters than 2012-13? That was crazy when GU was #1 overall yet there were people arguing they didn't deserve a #1 seed. That was mind blowing. Then GU getting bounced before the next weekend just lent more credence to the haters out there and seemingly spilling over to casual fans.

The team lost one game so for all the Jayson Williams's and Miles Simons's (not lost on me their allegiance is to teams/conferences in the mix)--just can it. Kentucky's unblemished mark is built upon waxing teams like Georgia, St. John's, and UCLA so let's ease off the gas.

Unfortunately the only way Gonzaga gets rid of this garbage talk is a big run. If they get a #1 seed, that would require Final Four attendance.

JPtheBeasta
02-22-2015, 06:31 AM
It's a weird dynamic in the media this year. Not sure why. Probably in part because the WCC, while improved as a whole, doesn't have another standout team as is customary. The Zags OOC RPI is 5 at this point. I'm more concerned about the committee than the strange media this year. Personally, I think the Zags will be rewarded for 1) scheduling one of the toughest OOC schedules in the country, 2) having the 2nd best W/L record in all of D1 basketball, and 3) no bad losses. All this crap on ESPN about Zags being a 2-seed is nonsense as long as we keep taking care of business.

As of tonight, the Zags are the only team in D1 with 28 freaking wins.

If I were to put the Zags as a two seed, the team that took their place would have to be significantly better than the Zags. This can't be Arizona, because we would have beat them on a neutral or home court (or if one call goes our way at the end). We would give Wisconsin a game and would match up well. Kansas has some not-so-great losses (blown out by Temple and Kentucky). Villanova, I haven't paid much attention to; they have beaten several ranked teams but I don't know their personnel to be able to say whether or not they are much better than the Zags.

ZagHouse
02-22-2015, 07:08 AM
If you want your head to explode, go to the comments section at ESPN for one of our game recaps. I've always thought the worst people in the world are the ones who lurk in the comments sections of another team's message board. Gonzaga can't help where they're ranked...the coaches and AP writers must conspire to rank us too high so they can have a chuckle come March.

Marcus
02-22-2015, 07:26 AM
If you want your head to explode, go to the comments section at ESPN for one of our game recaps. I've always thought the worst people in the world are the ones who lurk in the comments sections of another team's message board. Gonzaga can't help where they're ranked...the coaches and AP writers must conspire to rank us too high so they can have a chuckle come March.

The better the Zags get the louder the hate gets from these fans. We must be doing something right because there are a lot of people paying attention to what we are doing. They just don't want to accept the fact that a little school out west is stealing their teams thunder so are grasping at straws to bring them down any way they can. If the team does well in March, I can't wait to hear all the excuses and reasons these fans will have to point out why we still suck.

Mr Vulture
02-22-2015, 08:32 AM
I'm not sure where you got your OOC SOS numbers from but the reputable sites (ESPN, Pomeroy, Etc) have the Zags somewhere in the 17-20 spots for OOC SOS. In any case, if Gonzaga wins out they will be the #1 seed in the West. As I've said many times though, I really don't care if we are a 1 or a 2 seed as long as we play out West and don't have Kentucky in our brackets. I don't see any disrespect at all in regards to the Zags.

caduceus
02-22-2015, 09:08 AM
I'm not sure where you got your OOC SOS numbers from but the reputable sites (ESPN, Pomeroy, Etc) have the Zags somewhere in the 17-20 spots for OOC SOS. In any case, if Gonzaga wins out they will be the #1 seed in the West. As I've said many times though, I really don't care if we are a 1 or a 2 seed as long as we play out West and don't have Kentucky in our brackets. I don't see any disrespect at all in regards to the Zags.

I don't know if you're referring to me, but I said OOC RPI (http://www.rpiforecast.com/live-rpi.html), not SOS.

Mr Vulture
02-22-2015, 09:43 AM
ESPN - 37th
Pomeroy - 55th
CBS - 5

I would personally say one of these is way out of line when looking at the others. Again, not saying anything bad about Gonzaga...just saying that the "experts" are right to bring up the schedule when talking about GU. There is not disrespect towards this team, it's just that Zag fans are very sensitive to any sort of potential negative towards the team.

dan71w
02-22-2015, 09:47 AM
I think maybe a top 2 seed might actually be the best option for us this year. as there is not a lot of separation from the top 6 teams, would a top 2 seed still give us good favorable placement in route to a FF?

Mantua
02-22-2015, 09:58 AM
ESPN - 37th
Pomeroy - 55th
CBS - 5

I would personally say one of these is way out of line when looking at the others. Again, not saying anything bad about Gonzaga...just saying that the "experts" are right to bring up the schedule when talking about GU. There is not disrespect towards this team, it's just that Zag fans are very sensitive to any sort of potential negative towards the team.

Does any other team get soooo much criticism for their ranking? It's been a constant refrain in the media for weeks now. Some pundits use a particularly nasty tone of voice during the Gonzaga discussions. The anger seems directed at GU rather than those who voted. The fans in comment sections go way overboard.

Mr Vulture
02-22-2015, 10:02 AM
I haven't heard the criticism much at all. I have heard just as many experts praising Gonzaga as those saying they would have them as a 2 seed. I personally don't see what some are posting on here and I can see arguments for teams around us in the rankings like Wisconsin and even Kansas.

Does any other team get soooo much criticism for their ranking? It's been a constant refrain in the media for weeks now. Some pundits use a particularly nasty tone of voice during the Gonzaga discussions. The anger seems directed at GU rather than those who voted. The fans in comment sections go way overboard.

Mantua
02-22-2015, 10:10 AM
I haven't heard the criticism much at all. I have heard just as many experts praising Gonzaga as those saying they would have them as a 2 seed. I personally don't see what some are posting on here and I can see arguments for teams around us in the rankings like Wisconsin and even Kansas.

Clearly I've been watching far too much TV lately. I surf a lot of games.

jim77
02-22-2015, 10:17 AM
The good thing about college BB is this will ALL be settled on the court. Didn't we sweep the big 12 last year? Does anybody here think Duke could manhandle AZ? I don't think so. KY is the best team....and their own mistakes will be what does them in...only KY can beat KY. I also think GU would match up nicely against Wisconsin....they aren't terribly quick...but darn smart and skilled...kinda like us. After KY its a wide open field. I don't think Viilanova beats us...we are better. Lets see VA pack it in against our shooters....we could hang with them too. People forget how big we are...and how well we shoot it.....don't confuse "Dunk count" with skill.

I don't care if were a 1 a 2 or a 3...we just need to play our game.

raise the zag
02-22-2015, 04:32 PM
The good thing about college BB is this will ALL be settled on the court. Didn't we sweep the big 12 last year? Does anybody here think Duke could manhandle AZ? I don't think so. KY is the best team....and their own mistakes will be what does them in...only KY can beat KY. I also think GU would match up nicely against Wisconsin....they aren't terribly quick...but darn smart and skilled...kinda like us. After KY its a wide open field. I don't think Viilanova beats us...we are better. Lets see VA pack it in against our shooters....we could hang with them too. People forget how big we are...and how well we shoot it.....don't confuse "Dunk count" with skill.

I don't care if were a 1 a 2 or a 3...we just need to play our game.

Really nice post, Jim. Truth.