PDA

View Full Version : Gonzaga vs St Mary's postgame thoughts....a Joyful, crazy, fantastic victory....

Reborn
02-21-2015, 08:59 PM
An incredible victory. I kept my faith. I was glad that I had a chance to post on that thread about faith earlier today, because I kept thinking about faith when we were so far behind. I kept asking myself, "Do you really have faith?" And it would calm me down. And then I got my grandson Micah to come and watch the game with me. And when he and are rooting together we are unstoppable. You should have seen us cheering, yelling, screaming, and I was having the fun of my life with him. I can't remember being more happy then I was tonight with him, and we were absolutely crazy. Zag Crazy. And when we took the lead it was so cool. And those two shots, one by Karno and one by Wiltjer that rolled around the hoop at least ten times (just kiddin) before falling in were the two shots of the night I think.

At the second half of this season I knew that the Zags would have a game like this. Every team needs to show that they can come back from a 17 point deficit. And the Zags did, and I knew they could. It happens more then some may think. There is something about that 17. And wow. Did we ever shut them down at the end, and that is when it really counts. If last night's game was beautiful, what can I call tonights? fantasticjoyfultribulation. Yes one word. I am just soooo happy, crazy happy. Yes! Having faith helps, imo.

I love this team. They showed their valor tonight. Wiltjer really stepped up in the end. Dang he wanted that game. I will tell you, when those starters all came back on that floor to finish the game, they came in to go to war. They were who we have come to believe that they are. They were a band of brothers, warriors. And they just shut the door on St. Mary's, and took it to them on offense. I'll shut up and let you guys step in now...and contribute..to this joyful occasion.

Go Zags!!!
One game at a time!

23dpg
02-21-2015, 09:03 PM
In the first 11'12" of the game St Mary's had 7 assists.
In the final 28'48" they had 2 assists. 2!

Martin Centre Mad Man
02-21-2015, 09:03 PM
Faith is right. When this team was down by seventeen points, I truly believed they would claw back in and win in the closing moments. I have never believed in another Zags team the way I believe in this one. They just find a way to win tough games.

Zagceo
02-21-2015, 09:05 PM
They are special!

Zag 77
02-21-2015, 09:08 PM
Randy Bennett blew past Few in record time in the post-game handshake line.

I nominate Kerry Carter for the "All-Scowl" Team; man, he looks like he is always mad.

Looks like Waldow has some kind of scar on his scalp (head surgery at some point?) At first I thought it was some kind of haircut thing, but it is only on one side of his head.

SMC needs to get that gym remodel project done soon. It looked like they had people sitting on folding chairs behind the baskets.

Reborn
02-21-2015, 09:23 PM
Seeing Randy running past Mark Few and barely a handshake (I would not call that a handshake, for God's sake), and of course not looking at him. It's one of my favorite moments of the game. And after that, I couldn't be happier at the Zags holding Carter to 3 points on one for two shooting. And that basket came in the first few minutes of the game. This was a huge factor in winning this game. As one Gael fan who posts here said, Carter is everything that St Mary's stands for. I love that saying that he posted here. This fan was sure that St Mary's would beat us in the first game at GU. I am old school, and I don't believe in all this lovey dovey stuff for our opponents, especially for St Mary's. This is a RIVALRY fans. It's okay to hate for two hours during a ball game. It's just a game. Right???? It's fun. We don't have to be nice all the time. AT least we don't need to be rude either. But I'm not going to lie and say I love St Mary's. Or even thank them for playing the Zags tough. That's insanity to me because they ARE SUPPOSED to play us tough. To me it's rude to say, "Thank you for playing hard." I give them credit for being a really good team and program, but honestly, I am disappointed in them this year. And I'm sure their fans are too. They are now 4 games behind Gonzaga. I don't see any joy in that, and I don't see any joy in them losing tonight. I'm sure there's no joy in Maraga tonight.

Go Zags!!!
One game at a time!

seacatfan
02-21-2015, 09:26 PM
I was watching another game when this one started, I had it recording on the DVR. I saw the score in the first half several times. I decided not to bother watching the first 20 minutes. I did catch the entire 2nd half in real time. Zags had a great run to get right back in it after halftime, but St. Mary's answered. GU made a couple more little runs but SMC kept rebuilding the lead to 9 or 10. I thought they were gonna hold on. But the Zags just took over down the stretch. Several guys made big plays, Bell's 3 that got them within 1 was huge. Wiltjer had an off night overall but he closed with a flurry, not just scoring but rebounding and blocking shots. That has to be a totally disheartening loss for the Gaels, but GU made the plays they needed to at the end to pull it out.

MDABE80
02-21-2015, 09:37 PM
Hope we don't take another half off the rest of the year. We pay a team with staying power and we'll be out. The defense was horrible the first half. Glad we won but we looked so bad the first half, that no 1 seed is distant if this happens again.

Bocco
02-21-2015, 09:39 PM
Zags just wore St. Mary's down. Out scored them 24-6 over the last 6:08.

Just_An_Old_Zag
02-21-2015, 09:41 PM
who else changed shirts, hats, tried another beverage, moved their favorite zag stuff around to change the mojo???? I figure I had a little part in this victory cuz I did...

seasontixholder
02-21-2015, 09:56 PM
Hope we don't take another half off the rest of the year. We pay a team with staying power and we'll be out. The defense was horrible the first half. Glad we won but we looked so bad the first half, that no 1 seed is distant if this happens again.

Keep believing in yourself and posting that, dude. One day you might get something right.

Congrats to the Zags. You ran the WCC road gauntlet with perfection. From here on out, the environments will be easier. No 110 degree, 110 decibel crackerboxes with sworn enemies playing on adrenaline. Sure, there are going to be tournament games where in large barns where the majority crowd will be hostile, because of our #1 seed. But the Zags can handle it, to the dismay of those who have been so terribly wrong.

MickMick
02-21-2015, 10:00 PM
Fought back from adversity. They showed character and grit. The better team won.

Zag_Dad
02-21-2015, 10:01 PM
who else changed shirts, hats, tried another beverage, moved their favorite zag stuff around to change the mojo???? I figure I had a little part in this victory cuz I did...

Lol... Threw my favorite sweatshirt on the ground at half. When we started the comeback in second half my daughter wouldn't let me move it from where it landed.

It's only stupid if it doesn't work. ��

Zagceo
02-21-2015, 10:01 PM

Wife brought me different jersey after she got out of the shower and saw the score 5 min into game!

CdAZagFan
02-21-2015, 10:04 PM
Seems to be a trend (especially in the WCC) of wearing the opponents out in the 2nd half. Hopefully in the big dance we can play some good first halves and not have to rely on a late game surge...

RenoZag
02-21-2015, 10:05 PM
Lol... Threw my favorite sweatshirt on the ground at half. When we started the comeback in second half my daughter wouldn't let me move it from where it landed.

It's only stupid if it doesn't work. ��

Priceless

MDABE80
02-21-2015, 10:18 PM
Keep believing in yourself and posting that, dude. One day you might get something right.

Congrats to the Zags. You ran the WCC road gauntlet with perfection. From here on out, the environments will be easier. No 110 degree, 110 decibel crackerboxes with sworn enemies playing on adrenaline. Sure, there are going to be tournament games where in large barns where the majority crowd will be hostile, because of our #1 seed. But the Zags can handle it, to the dismay of those who have been so terribly wrong.

Son..we got our collective asses beat in the first half due to poor defense and our poor shooting. We came back and it was a spectacular comeback on the road. I posted we'd have our hands full at their place. We did. Did you watch the game or are you just poppin off? I do think we do that against a good D1 team with stamina...and we'' be cloing out the season earlier than we should. Either way, the kids showed courage, stregth and we won. I hope we don't take a half off again. SO what do you take issue with?

TexasZagFan
02-21-2015, 10:39 PM

I was preparing myself for shaving off my first ever goatee. I'm respecting the streak this year. After 8 weeks, it's getting longer than Chibs' (Tommy Flanagan) on Sons of Anarchy.

TexasZagFan
02-21-2015, 10:43 PM
Son..we got our collective asses beat in the first half due to poor defense and our poor shooting. We came back and it was a spectacular comeback on the road. I posted we'd have our hands full at their place. We did. Did you watch the game or are you just poppin off? I do think we do that against a good D1 team with stamina...and we'' be cloing out the season earlier than we should. Either way, the kids showed courage, stregth and we won. I hope we don't take a half off again. SO what do you take issue with?

That first half, we were missing shots that we hadn't been missing all year. Great win on the road, but we need to get back to putting the hammer down. This was not a highly successful road trip, IMO. Sure we got the wins, but...

Reborn
02-21-2015, 10:50 PM
I changed my sweat pants. Was wearing my GU grey sweats, took em off and put on my Navy blue ones with a red stripe down the side. They are my "old faithful" ones. hahaha I also had togo and make my grandson come and watch the second half with me. He's one of my luckiest pieces. haha

Go Zags!!!

MDABE80
02-22-2015, 12:44 AM
That first half, we were missing shots that we hadn't been missing all year. Great win on the road, but we need to get back to putting the hammer down. This was not a highly successful road trip, IMO. Sure we got the wins, but...

We need to hone the D. It's one of those games where we cool off and can't make shots while they were unconscious from 3. We picked it up in the 2nd half. this can happen again against a good team. We won.....made me very nervous. It happens against a team that doesn't poop out, we could be in trouble.

Zagger
02-22-2015, 03:08 AM
We need to hone the D. It's one of those games where we cool off and can't make shots while they were unconscious from 3. We picked it up in the 2nd half. this can happen again against a good team. We won.....made me very nervous. It happens against a team that doesn't poop out, we could be in trouble.

We could be in trouble. We will be in trouble. When watching the score inching its way to a 20 point deficit I thought .... OK, Zags can come back, not sure how, but they can do it - but, if it gets to a 20 point margin, then this is a dream (nightmare) and I'd better wake up soon.....
Looks like what went down at half time between coaches and team did the trick. Then to win by 10! YeeHaw! I was scaring our pets with my hootin' & hollerin' the last few minutes of the game!
http://www.fowlplaces.com/zags/gozagstinysignguy.pnghttp://www.fowlplaces.com/zags/gozagstinysignguyglasses.pnghttp://www.fowlplaces.com/zags/gozagstinysignguyglassescolor.png

BigZagFan
02-22-2015, 03:26 AM
68 teams start the dance, and 67 will lose their final game. Our team is talented on offense, shows flashes of great defense, and really really really wants to win. Chances of winning the whole thing are against us. Chance of our guys fighting with all they have and playing (winning or losing as a team) = 100%. I am proud to root for the Zags - you should be too....

Hoopaholic
02-22-2015, 05:45 AM

like they did the second half....holding smc to 20 points was great defense and controlled board

stevet75
02-22-2015, 06:05 AM
I changed my sweat pants. Was wearing my GU grey sweats, took em off and put on my Navy blue ones with a red stripe down the side. They are my "old faithful" ones. hahaha I also had togo and make my grandson come and watch the second half with me. He's one of my luckiest pieces. haha

Go Zags!!!

For me it's all about visualization and incantations. I'm embarrassed to say I was not at the top of my game in the first half, but came back ready to play the second. I didn't take one play off, visualizing every Zags shot going in the basket and choosing just the right phrases and words to help on defense. I also have to have my Zags shirt on. As someone else said it's only crazy if it doesn't work.

GonzagaLove
02-22-2015, 06:11 AM

Cut of sleeves of my zag tee. Third time this year it has worked. Last night my son's onesie almost go it too!

stevet75
02-22-2015, 06:15 AM
I must say the battle between Waldo and Karnowski was fun to watch. If memory serves that was Waldow's best game against Shem and Karnowski played pretty well. Waldow eventually just got tired.

JPtheBeasta
02-22-2015, 06:18 AM
In the first 11'12" of the game St Mary's had 7 assists.
In the final 28'48" they had 2 assists. 2!

Nice stat! They basically became a two-person team of Waldo and Bright toward the end there. Impressive defense by the Zags to close out the game.

JPtheBeasta
02-22-2015, 06:22 AM

Thanks for doing your part ;]

JokerZag
02-22-2015, 06:30 AM
Great defensive adjustments at half. Bell slowed down bright. Liked how well Sabonis fronted Waldo.

gonzagafan62
02-22-2015, 06:33 AM

Idk I have always worn my top of the world gonzaga hat. I had faith in it. If I was going down I was goin down with it

bballbeachbum
02-22-2015, 06:37 AM
I must say the battle between Waldo and Karnowski was fun to watch. If memory serves that was Waldow's best game against Shem and Karnowski played pretty well. Waldow eventually just got tired.

what a battle, both guys landing some haymakers. how Karno hung in there without fouling really shows some maturity, even though Waldow and Bennett went after him relentlessly and early and found plenty of success. But down the stretch Karno was not strapped with fouls and more than balanced the ledger. Mental toughness from Karno, and all the guys, but Karno held up under pressure on the road in that cracker box of a gym. Awesome

VinnyZag
02-22-2015, 06:38 AM
I actually don't think the defense was that bad in the first half, outside of Wiltjer getting lost a few times, which he's been doing all year. SMC just his some crazy hard shots, which they missed in the second. Similarly, GU missed a ton of shots the Zags usually missed in the first half.

Reborn
02-22-2015, 06:41 AM
I actually don't think the defense was that bad in the first half, outside of Wiltjer getting lost a few times, which he's been doing all year. SMC just his some crazy hard shots, which they missed in the second. Similarly, GU missed a ton of shots the Zags usually missed in the first half.

On the post game radio show someone said that the Zags made only 7-22 layin attempts. I'm assuming that they meant shots within 3 or 4 feet of the basket, but certainly a good number were within 2 feet.

Go Zags!!!

DixieZag
02-22-2015, 06:45 AM

Key to the game, I think.

Waldo was just broken by the last 4 minutes. He had nothing in reserve.

I don't think any big in the country would have anything left after playing the minutes he played.

jazzdelmar
02-22-2015, 06:50 AM
Fabulous game. Vintage Zags win. Two key three point buckets, KP at start of second half and then Bell during comeback. First was a shot across the Gael bow, second was an absolute dagger. Then KW took over. Waldaw was brilliant and so was that bugger Bright.

Reborn
02-22-2015, 06:57 AM
Fabulous game. Vintage Zags win. Two key three point buckets, KP at start of second half and then Bell during comeback.

Thanks for posting. I was wondering what you thought. It was certainly one of the better Gonzaga games. Comeback victories like this are special and will most likely be in my memory banks forever. Those two shots you mentioned are certainly there, and those two back to back layups by Wiltjer and Karnowski that rolled around the rim a couple of times before going in and putting the Zags ahead by 4. Also the dual between Waldo and Karno was something to remember. I thought that Bright, the point guard for St Mary's, played exceptionally well. He was certainly a handful for Pangos. It was a good move by Few to put Bell on him the second half.

Go Zags!!!

RenoZag
02-22-2015, 07:10 AM
From the Gaels message board, this account of the post-game handshake line:

http://godisagael.yuku.com/sreply/64295/Zags

Here's a thing that struck me that I'll remember forever from this game: Brad was crying after the game in the handshake line. Beginning with Adam Morrison, several Gonzaga folks stopped to hug him and say words of encouragement. Pangos spent the most time saying something to him. After the initial handshake line, Pangos doubled back to again say something to Waldow. I thought that was great.

When Pangos was a freshman and had a rough game in the WCC final in the that game SMC won in overtime, Delly did the same thing. It was a great gesture by Delly. And I believe Pangos was paying it forward to Waldow.

That's what it's all about.

Respect the game, respect your opponents.

zagfan24
02-22-2015, 07:16 AM
Mark Few coached a great game, I thought. Didn't overreact (like I would have), didn't panic, and made sure that most of the starters got rest when they needed it, even in a game where the Zags were playing from behind.

Kevin Pangos is the ultimate floor general. Refuse to lose is such a cliche, but man does KP turn up the dial when the Zags need it most.

The nice thing on this years' team is that there are quite a few players that are willing to take those big shots. In fact, each starter made a bucket at one point that seemed to shift the momentum. Wesley's putback, Karno's layup that circumvented the rim, Wiltjer's corner three, Bell's 3 to pull within one, and Kevin at the beginning of the second half.

Great win in a tough environment. Glad the refs let Karno and Waldow play. I thought they really missed the moving screen call, but to be honest I'd rather see WCC refs miss calls then ruin the game momentum with too many phantom calls. I have a lot of respect for Waldow, ultimately. He seems like a good kid and a hard worker.

PNW Zagfan
02-22-2015, 07:25 AM

Happy to read this, very classy by the Zags. Being Senior night and giving such an effort makes it understandable that Waldo was emotional. He left it all out there on the court and should hold his head high.

katman50
02-22-2015, 07:27 AM

I have immense respect for Waldow. Great, serious, no nonsense player. Can understand his emotions.

DixieZag
02-22-2015, 07:39 AM
Mark Few coached a great game, I thought. Didn't overreact (like I would have), didn't panic, and made sure that most of the starters got rest when they needed it, even in a game where the Zags were playing from behind.

Kevin Pangos is the ultimate floor general. Refuse to lose is such a cliche, but man does KP turn up the dial when the Zags need it most.

The nice thing on this years' team is that there are quite a few players that are willing to take those big shots. In fact, each starter made a bucket at one point that seemed to shift the momentum. Wesley's putback, Karno's layup that circumvented the rim, Wiltjer's corner three, Bell's 3 to pull within one, and Kevin at the beginning of the second half.

Great win in a tough environment. Glad the refs let Karno and Waldow play. I thought they really missed the moving screen call, but to be honest I'd rather see WCC refs miss calls then ruin the game momentum with too many phantom calls. I have a lot of respect for Waldow, ultimately. He seems like a good kid and a hard worker.

I think Bell's 3 might have been the single biggest hoop of the night. We had just been down 7 with about 5 minutes left KW hit a three and then we got a stop. The game really could have gone either way with a little over 4:00 left. Had we come up empty, they have the ball back down the floor to build it back up to six or seven points. But, Bell drilled it early in the possession, cutting it to one, and at that single point, it was obvious the cushion SMC had was gone for the rest of the game and it would go back and forth.

We sure hit FTs when we needed them.

Marcus
02-22-2015, 07:46 AM
I think Bell's 3 might have been the single biggest hoop of the night. We had just been down 7 with about 5 minutes left KW hit a three and then we got a stop. The game really could have gone either way with a little over 4:00 left. Had we come up empty, they have the ball back down the floor to build it back up to six or seven points. But, Bell drilled it early in the possession, cutting it to one, and at that single point, it was obvious the cushion SMC had was gone for the rest of the game and it would go back and forth.

We sure hit FTs when we needed them.

It was great to see. I was impressed by Wiltjer wanting to go to the line. Usually its, try and get the ball to Pangos time. Wiltjer just grabbed those boards and said don't worry guys, I got this. He embraced the moment.

jazzdelmar
02-22-2015, 07:50 AM
Happy to read this, very classy by the Zags. Being Senior night and giving such an effort makes it understandable that Waldo was emotional. He left it all out there on the court and should hold his head high.

That makes me wanna bawl. College sports at its best. I've always liked Brad, compared to Sammy, who was a jerk. Bright seems solid as well. As for my pal Randy, tough loss and good to see you are working on that handshake.

seasontixholder
02-22-2015, 07:52 AM
Not many teams could put up 26 points in the final 6 1/2 minutes of any ballgame, let alone in a pressure cooker like that one. These Zags are special.

LongIslandZagFan
02-22-2015, 08:02 AM

When was the last time we saw PK, Kyle W, AND Sabonis missing bunnies? That was what the first half was... a lot of shots they normally just plain don't miss. Abe is right in the sense that the D was ugly in the first half... Wiltjer said as much in the post game interview on ESPN. Few rode them hard at half for it... the result? SMC scored 40 in the first half... 20 in the second. Must have been one hell of a speech.

SwainZag
02-22-2015, 08:59 AM
Not many teams could put up 26 points in the final 6 1/2 minutes of any ballgame, let alone in a pressure cooker like that one. These Zags are special.

On the road, against your rival, on senior night. The last 6 1/2 minutes of that game is why we believe in this team. The composure, the emotion! How many Zags team in the past would look rushed, nervous, throw the ball away, take bad shots......? The way Kyle was flying all over the floor ripping down those rebounds and that blocked 3 pointer. Few getting animated on the sideline, he wanted that one so bad. This team just knows how to win.

Zagceo
02-22-2015, 09:01 AM
When was the last time we saw PK, Kyle W, AND Sabonis missing bunnies? That was what the first half was... a lot of shots they normally just plain don't miss.

This was the most frustrating part of the game. So many close shots coming up short or just rolling off.

Few called iso with KW down the stretch and he delivered. Love this picture after the game.

http://i914.photobucket.com/albums/ac342/ceo_500/ScreenShot2015-02-22at95919AM_zpse0ff534b.png

23dpg
02-22-2015, 09:32 AM
O
When was the last time we saw PK, Kyle W, AND Sabonis missing bunnies? That was what the first half was... a lot of shots they normally just plain don't miss. Abe is right in the sense that the D was ugly in the first half... Wiltjer said as much in the post game interview on ESPN. Few rode them hard at half for it... the result? SMC scored 40 in the first half... 20 in the second. Must have been one hell of a speech.

More like the first 35 minutes. We missed 7 straight in the second half, 6 from 5 feet in. Heck, KW missed the rim from 2 feet out in the second half.

Rangerzag
02-22-2015, 09:32 AM
As for my pal Randy, tough loss and good to see you are working on that handshake.
I can not tell how serious you are about Bennet's handshakes. He didn't spend a single second more than the minimum shaking Few's hand.

A friend reported Randy shook no Zag player's hands. I could not completely verify this re-watching the ESPN recording but by the time the camera showed the tail end of the line of Zag players Bennet was no where to be seen.

Much more impressed by Few and the Zags.

jim77
02-22-2015, 09:33 AM
I have immense respect for Waldow. Great, serious, no nonsense player. Can understand his emotions.

YUP. Waldow is a heck of a player. The kid had to take on ALL our bigs with really NO backup. He probably work Karnowski harder than anybody this season...that includes Tarzewsky from AZ. The kids head should be high...he (and the Gaels) played a heck of a game.

Classy move by KP.....I hope its GU and ST Mary's in the finals of the conference....if we lose...I'll be crying in 1 eye...and winking in the other. Love to see 2 teams in the tourney. The WCC is better than most think.

Mantua
02-22-2015, 09:45 AM

How many of us thought they could pull that off?

I credit Reno's faith and my decision to do laundry when I couldn't take the pain of watching.

U Zig, I Zag
02-22-2015, 09:51 AM

Going against tradition, I put clothes back on going down the home stretch.

TacomaZAG
02-22-2015, 10:32 AM
I can not tell how serious you are about Bennet's handshakes. He didn't spend a single second more than the minimum shaking Few's hand.

A friend reported Randy shook no Zag player's hands. I could not completely verify this re-watching the ESPN recording but by the time the camera showed the tail end of the line of Zag players Bennet was no where to be seen.

Much more impressed by Few and the Zags.

Just rewatched the game, and as usual, Bennett was a cla$$le$$ A$$hole, after another defeat of our "rivals". I sure wish he could take a lesson from some of his players like Waldow and Delly.

The guys dug deep, I continue to be amazed to watch how Kevin can just "feel" what the team needs from him at each point in the game. The kid is just a WINNER, period.............

Go ZAGS

zagamatic
02-22-2015, 10:33 AM
Last night was one of those games that had the boys lost, it could have started to let doubt start to creep in. But they didn't lose. Instead they pinned their ears back AS A TEAM and emphatically said nope,not tonight St Marie's, sorry! My hope is that the guys use this game as a confidence springboard and just start dominating like a lot of us feel they can. This team can score at such an incredible rate at any point in any game that they're never out of it until the buzzer sounds. Hopefully the last 2 games ignite a fire under their collective butts on the defensive end because this team is certainly capable of playing lockdown D.
There's been a lot of talking heads saying how the Zags will likely get knocked off the 1seed. And until last night, the guys didn't do a whole lot lately to change their minds. I saw several of those same guys saying that they were impressed last night. Let's face it, if the Zags come out and finish off the regular season and conference tournament in dominant fashion,then they will have EARNED a 1 seed. And quite frankly,if they play like they did at Pacific, then they will have earned a demotion to the 2 seed or even lower because barely beating a team you should dominate because you didn't impose your will on them is not how you earn a 1 seed.

john montana
02-22-2015, 10:39 AM

I love the emotion. Maybe the Gaels fans that like to make fun of Morrison after the ucla game should ask brad or Adam what it means to pour your heart into something. Respect to Waldow. Great player.

JPtheBeasta
02-22-2015, 10:46 AM
I love the emotion. Maybe the Gaels fans that like to make fun of Morrison after the ucla game should ask brad or Adam what it means to pour your heart into something. Respect to Waldow. Great player.

Coming out of the half the Zags took his right hand away... and he proceed to hit two clutch left-handed buckets in a row. Pretty impressive performance. He just needed more help this year for SMC to be in contention for a title.

DixieZag
02-22-2015, 10:52 AM
Last night was one of those games that had the boys lost, it could have started to let doubt start to creep in. But they didn't lose. Instead they pinned their ears back AS A TEAM and emphatically said nope,not tonight St Marie's, sorry! My hope is that the guys use this game as a confidence springboard and just start dominating like a lot of us feel they can. This team can score at such an incredible rate at any point in any game that they're never out of it until the buzzer sounds. Hopefully the last 2 games ignite a fire under their collective butts on the defensive end because this team is certainly capable of playing lockdown D.
There's been a lot of talking heads saying how the Zags will likely get knocked off the 1seed. And until last night, the guys didn't do a whole lot lately to change their minds. I saw several of those same guys saying that they were impressed last night. Let's face it, if the Zags come out and finish off the regular season and conference tournament in dominant fashion,then they will have EARNED a 1 seed. And quite frankly,if they play like they did at Pacific, then they will have earned a demotion to the 2 seed or even lower because barely beating a team you should dominate because you didn't impose your will on them is not how you earn a 1 seed.

Good post. I started a thread at the same time as 100 others last night, talking about how this was the perfect mix of "eye-opening" and "reaffirming."

We got our eyes opened in seeing just how quickly we can become average if we're not defending and the shots are not falling. I had thought through most of the game that it might not be the worst outcome going forward for the team to see how they can be beaten up and down the court. I still think that helps us.

But, we also got to learn the lesson that they have such heart, that with the tiny gym packed with salivating, upset minded, senior-night fans, they can go down 17, b down 9 with six to play, and still dig deep and pull out a win.

These are the types of games that might well be the difference in the tournament when we're down 4 or even up 4 (like Arizona). I look at this game as the mirror-opposite of the Arizona game. We were behind nearly all of it, playing awful, against a team we're supposed to beat, and somehow come out with a win. It seems like the perfect learning experience.

jazzdelmar
02-22-2015, 10:57 AM
Good a time as any to vent about this. In none of the dozens of analyses I have read or seen about the Zags does the reporter even mention that the team has gone nearly the whole season without a key rotation player, Jenks. More than a first eight player, as well, Josh would have been an essential back up to KP at the same time as bringing great energy and his own unique talents Into the game. Just sayin.

ZaGranny
02-22-2015, 11:00 AM

Mr. ID decided to take off the hat he had worn to the WBB game (loss) and switch to another. Guess it worked!

ZaGranny

siliconzag
02-22-2015, 11:09 AM
The Good: Poise in the end, made crucial shots and got stops when the game was on the line. KP and GJB sparked the offense in the second half
The Bad: Defense was poor for much of the game. Out of position on 3 point shots and failed to provide help side defense on a number of occasions, Shrem was not a force until the end. Worried about quicker big men with better footwork (Karmisky and Okafor come to mind).
The Ugly: Coach Bennet, even before his perfunctory handhake and some of the officiating stunk, almost forgot that lousy band box.

Overall, I think we may have dodged the bullet, but good athletic teams in March are going to be better than St. Mary's. We need to match defensive intensity or we are going down. Plain and simple. Defense is played with the feet, not with the hands. We simply cannot be so far out of position and pray that the long range shots don't go in. If prayer didn't work against the "heathens of Wichita State" what happens when we run up against a Villanova or Notre Dame?

sittingon50
02-22-2015, 11:09 AM

As it turns out, Pacific had a good weekend. Remember, they lost their top 7 guys to graduation, just taking them most of the season to figure things out.

GoZags
02-22-2015, 11:52 AM
Good a time as any to vent about this. In none of the dozens of analyses I have read or seen about the Zags does the reporter even mention that the team has gone nearly the whole season without a key rotation player, Jenks. More than a first eight player, as well, Josh would have been an essential back up to KP at the same time as bringing great energy and his own unique talents Into the game. Just sayin.

Good point. I think about this all the time.

GonzagasaurusFlex
02-22-2015, 11:59 AM

+1.

If Zags play with same level of defensive intensity and offensive execution as they did in the 2nd half last night then we will be treated to another Elite Eight game... a chance to play for a spot in the Final Four is all I want for this team. Go Zags!

MickMick
02-22-2015, 12:32 PM
This SMC game revealed more about Wiltjer than his previous game against Pacific.

I care much less about gaudy statistics than I do about players that rise to the occasion and play their best ball at crunch time. Wiltjer simply took over the game down the stretch. Rebounds, blocks, free throws, assists, scoring. He was directly involved in just about every play at crunch time, on both ends of the floor.

Players like that are an absolute must in the post season.

Mantua
02-22-2015, 01:48 PM

Thank you for making the point!

Not a day goes by that I don't think about Perkins and the impact we are missing. I've wondered about the media's short memory while they're assuming we won't end up with a one seed. The talking heads need to acknowlege Gonzaga's (aching) loss at least out of respect for Perkins and all that he has endured and missed out on as the Zags pick up win after win.

Nevada Don
02-22-2015, 01:56 PM
If someone can cut and paste (I can't) the "Headline" topic on GIAG I think you'll get a kick out of cougael's reply.

Mantua
02-22-2015, 01:59 PM
This SMC game revealed more about Wiltjer than his previous game against Pacific.

I care much less about gaudy statistics than I do about players that rise to the occasion and play their best ball at crunch time. Wiltjer simply took over the game down the stretch. Rebounds, blocks, free throws, assists, scoring. He was directly involved in just about every play at crunch time, on both ends of the floor.

Few was pretty clever sitting the guy who made 45 points in the last game to drive home a message about defense. KW was well aware of the camera finding him on the bench. The look of determination on his face at that moment gave me hope. In some sense I think Few was reminding Kyle that he is a complete player now and needs to play like one. My favorite defensive play of the game was the late game block (credited to Perkins!) on Waldo. I just watched it in slow motion five times. Kyle on Fire can give the Zags a deep run in March.

DixieZag
02-22-2015, 02:12 PM
If someone can cut and paste (I can't) the "Headline" topic on GIAG I think you'll get a kick out of cougael's reply.

http://godisagael.yuku.com/topic/7397/The-Headline-Id-like-to-see-in-tomorrows-Sports-Section

The Headline I'd like to see in tomorrow's Sports Section

Mike Eruzione: "Marcus Lee returning home, will transfer to Saint Mary's.

cougael: "Gonzaga starting 8 declare for NBA draft."

MBAGAEL; "Randy signs contract extension until he is 70 "

Nevada Don
02-22-2015, 03:16 PM
Thanks for doing that DixieZag. It's quite the compliment from cougael IMO.

DixieZag
02-22-2015, 04:07 PM
Thanks for doing that DixieZag. It's quite the compliment from cougael IMO.

Good news is you'll only have to face Pangos/Bell one more time (at most) in your lives. We can relate, we all loved Delly.....once he was gone.

sittingon50
02-22-2015, 05:01 PM
Well stated, Dix.

Baseline
02-22-2015, 07:00 PM
Last nights game made me reflect a bit on the year so far. we have seen a whole new level of leadership out of Pangos. Prior to this year he shot well and had good PG skills, but this year he became a true leader and is recognizing the situation and responding with what is needed, few teams have such a person. To me the leadership is worth 10 points a game, if not more.
Shem has stepped up his game quite dramatically. At the start of the year I was quite upset with him as he just was not doing what he was capable. Right around the Arizona game he got it together and has been a force. He can disappear at times, but when he comes to play he can be dominant. He is still learning so tournament games might be a good surprise and more upside for next year is promising.
Sabonis has learned to manage the foul problem and can be counted on to be there when needed. He is a very good rebounder and defensive player. Early on he over powered people under the basket with his good footwork and intensity, but others have figured how to defend him and you can see adjustments in his game, he passes out much more as an example. Next year he will be a load.
The biggest surprise for me has been Kyle, he started the year out slow and has built his game to be way better. I attribute that to him coming comfortable with his new body and realizing he is big enough to rebound and play inside. The last part of the season he has really stepped up his game and is playing like we all hoped. I think Kyle has just found himself and hope we get him for another year as he finishes the process.

The biggest change is Mark Few, he is outwardly way different. He trumpets this team and has changed from that stoic guy to someone that you know where he is at - I like the new mark and I'm sure its much easier for the players, not having to read the tea leaves.

The growth I have seen has come in pieces and I have not seen it all come together in a game, if that should happen these guys could be national champs.

GonzagasaurusFlex
02-22-2015, 08:19 PM
Last nights game made me reflect a bit on the year so far. we have seen a whole new level of leadership out of Pangos. Prior to this year he shot well and had good PG skills, but this year he became a true leader and is recognizing the situation and responding with what is needed, few teams have such a person. To me the leadership is worth 10 points a game, if not more.
Shem has stepped up his game quite dramatically. At the start of the year I was quite upset with him as he just was not doing what he was capable. Right around the Arizona game he got it together and has been a force. He can disappear at times, but when he comes to play he can be dominant. He is still learning so tournament games might be a good surprise and more upside for next year is promising.
Sabonis has learned to manage the foul problem and can be counted on to be there when needed. He is a very good rebounder and defensive player. Early on he over powered people under the basket with his good footwork and intensity, but others have figured how to defend him and you can see adjustments in his game, he passes out much more as an example. Next year he will be a load.
The biggest surprise for me has been Kyle, he started the year out slow and has built his game to be way better. I attribute that to him coming comfortable with his new body and realizing he is big enough to rebound and play inside. The last part of the season he has really stepped up his game and is playing like we all hoped. I think Kyle has just found himself and hope we get him for another year as he finishes the process.

The biggest change is Mark Few, he is outwardly way different. He trumpets this team and has changed from that stoic guy to someone that you know where he is at - I like the new mark and I'm sure its much easier for the players, not having to read the tea leaves.

The growth I have seen has come in pieces and I have not seen it all come together in a game, if that should happen these guys could be national champs.

+1

MBAGael
02-22-2015, 09:14 PM
Randy had nothing but great things to say about the Zags Friday night on KNBR. He was asked about Pangos and RB said he is one of the best. Said although their games might look different, between their ears, Pangos and Delly are the same. For those who know Randy, that is the highest compliment he can give anyone.

GrizZAG
02-23-2015, 06:48 AM
For what it's worth, props to the refs in that game. They let the dogs run and play for once. Thanks refs, good job!

rennis
02-23-2015, 07:36 AM

exactly

rennis
02-23-2015, 07:41 AM
Randy had nothing but great things to say about the Zags Friday night on KNBR. He was asked about Pangos and RB said he is one of the best. Said although their games might look different, between their ears, Pangos and Delly are the same. For those who know Randy, that is the highest compliment he can give anyone.

high praise indeed.

Ugh, I'm going to miss Kevin. :(