PDA

View Full Version : Thank you SMC

NotoriousZ
02-21-2015, 08:08 PM
We needed to a team to push us, and you did.

Keep working, Zags! Love ya!!!

GonzaGAW
02-21-2015, 08:41 PM
+1

we needed a gut wrenching test and got it...........and prevailed

Martin Centre Mad Man
02-21-2015, 08:47 PM
I agree. We needed to prove that our kids can:

A) Come from behind by double digits to win;
B) Fight through physical contact on every possession on both sides of the ball;
C) use the press to force turnovers in a come from behind situation;
D) Clamp down on an opposing team's best scorer in the closing moments of a tight game;
E) Hit free throws to win...

That was a huge gut-check win. We needed a dog fight like that to remind us how to play that way. SMC gave us an amazing fight. Our kids just played better basketball in the closing moments.

CdAZagFan
02-21-2015, 08:49 PM
I agree. We needed to prove that our kids can:

A) Come from behind by double digits to win;
B) Fight through physical contact on every possession on both sides of the ball;
C) use the press to force turnovers in a come from behind situation;
D) Clamp down on an opposing team's best scorer in the closing moments of a tight game;
E) Hit free throws to win...

That was a huge gut-check win. We needed a dog fight like that to remind us how to play that way. SMC gave us an amazing fight. Our kids just played better basketball in the closing moments.

Great post... Agree totally.

TexasZagFan
02-21-2015, 08:57 PM
Gaels had nothing in the tank the last 5 minutes. They quit running their offense from ten minutes left, trying to milk the clock.

JPtheBeasta
02-21-2015, 09:02 PM
Gaels had nothing in the tank the last 5 minutes. They quit running their offense from ten minutes left, trying to milk the clock.

I noticed that too. They probably could have gone to Waldow a few more times in the post instead of taking the air out of the ball...

spike_jr
02-21-2015, 09:04 PM

BINGO! While our come back was epic, SMC did us a big favor when they began concentrating more on the clock than scoring - and they started much too early. When their lead dissipated and it was time to finish, they did not have the energy to get back on the accelerator.

U Zig, I Zag
02-21-2015, 09:05 PM

Listen, setting a series of moving screens can be physically taxing.

surfmonkey89
02-21-2015, 09:07 PM
Milking the clock might have had something to do with it, but I think conditioning was a bigger part. Waldow was tired, you could tell by the way he was breathing in through his mouth so much.

I think it took a lot out of Przemek too, which is something to consider when looking at his missed bunnies. The difference is that we have people to bring in to give him a breather; SMC does not.

TexasZagFan
02-21-2015, 09:10 PM

I noticed that too. Pangos got picked off so often by Waldow that it will take an hour long shower to wash off all of Waldow's DNA on Kevin's body.

Martin Centre Mad Man
02-21-2015, 09:12 PM

I thought that our second half press threw off their offensive flow. During the early part of the game, they were running a lot of long possessions that forced us to defend the half court for most of the shot clock. In the second half, they lost a lot of just time trying to get the ball up the court. Even when they got the ball over the half court line, they could not seem to get back into an offensive rhythm. There was rarely enough time for them to reset the offense, if we closed off their first move.

U Zig, I Zag
02-21-2015, 09:13 PM
I noticed that too. Pangos got picked off so often by Waldow that it will take an hour long shower to wash off all of Waldow's DNA on Kevin's body.

;)

Nevada Don
02-21-2015, 09:14 PM

I post that all the time and did tonight on GIAG. I agree with you. We do it all the time. Didn't work tonight.

You people keep making nice comments like this, pretty soon I'll be buying a GU sweatshirt. Thanks Zags.

BULLDOG#1
02-21-2015, 09:15 PM

Noticed that, too. It was pretty obvious.

Makes me wonder why Shem and bonus didn't do the same... Since the refs weren't calling it.

TexasZagFan
02-21-2015, 09:16 PM
I post that all the time and did tonight on GIAG. I agree with you. We do it all the time. Didn't work tonight.

You people keep making nice comments like this, pretty soon I'll be buying a GU sweatshirt. Thanks Zags.

Spend some time on the OCC, and those thoughts will vanish...quickly. lol

seacatfan
02-21-2015, 09:17 PM

Huh. That worked about as well as when the Zags do it to protect a lead. Glad GU isn't the only team that struggles with that strategy.

TexasZagFan
02-21-2015, 09:18 PM

Spend some time on the OCC (Online Crosby Center), and those thoughts will vanish...quickly. lol

I feel your pain...my wife is constantly on me to keep my mouth shut at my son's football games. He turns 13 tomorrow...

spike_jr
02-21-2015, 09:20 PM
Huh. That worked about as well as when the Zags do it to protect a lead. Glad GU isn't the only team that struggles with that strategy.

+1

RenoZag
02-21-2015, 09:54 PM
Who says the WCC doesn't get the Zags ready for March ? That was a heavyweight battle.

DixieZag
02-21-2015, 10:14 PM
I thought that our second half press threw off their offensive flow. During the early part of the game, they were running a lot of long possessions that forced us to defend the half court for most of the shot clock. In the second half, they lost a lot of just time trying to get the ball up the court. Even when they got the ball over the half court line, they could not seem to get back into an offensive rhythm. There was rarely enough time for them to reset the offense, if we closed off their first move.

This.

They only turned it over once, but it did seem to mix things up a bit, knocked them off stride a bit.

23dpg
02-21-2015, 10:22 PM
Gonzaga was deeper than St Mary's. If GU hit their shots in the first 35', I don't think it would have been much of a game. But St Mary's seemed tired at the end. Waldow had to play 37 minutes. He definitely looked gassed. Props to the Gaels for playing their hearts out. They just ran out of energy.

Also, another 40 minutes game for Pangos.

ZagsGoZags
02-21-2015, 10:32 PM
credit to the Gaels
they gave it their all, and so did their fans on this night

TheZagPhish
02-21-2015, 11:27 PM
Respect to the Gaels. That was a fantastic battle!

These Zags are hardy, heady and gritty.

caduceus
02-22-2015, 12:01 AM
SMC is sitting at 54 in the RPI. They're likely to finish top 50 by season's end if they keep winning. SOS isn't great, but they're probably underrated in the media. Two (or more potential) top-50 wins would be good for the résumé.

scott257
02-22-2015, 12:23 AM
SMC is sitting at 54 in the RPI. They're likely to finish top 50 by season's end if they keep winning. SOS isn't great, but they're probably underrated in the media. Two (or more potential) top-50 wins would be good for the résumé.

And yet they schedule like they don't care. Weak.

zag69
02-22-2015, 01:27 AM
Spend some time on the OCC (Online Crosby Center), and those thoughts will vanish...quickly. lol

I feel your pain...my wife is constantly on me to keep my mouth shut at my son's football games. He turns 13 tomorrow...

Happy birthday to your son...I hope he has an exciting and memorable day. Is he a Zag fan? That game was truly a gift.

Martin Centre Mad Man
02-22-2015, 03:30 AM
Kudos to Brad Waldow for playing his heart out. That kid plays tough, physical ball on every possession.

TravelinZag
02-22-2015, 09:55 AM
Great game Gaels. You played with great skill and great heart. That is not condescension. In many ways, we Zags saw and felt a mirror image of this game earlier this season -- at Arizona. To those who say the WCC does not prepare a team for the NCAA tournament (not totally without justification), I respond "See St Mary's last night!

HillBillyZag
02-22-2015, 11:49 AM
Adding my best wishes and admiration for a gutsy & talented Gael basketball team. " You left it all on the Floor" and this time the old cliche was right on the money. Best of luck in the WCC Tourney, other than when you face our Zags .