PDA

View Full Version : Gonzaga vs Pacific...postgame thoughts

Reborn
02-19-2015, 09:32 PM
WOW! What a night, and what a game for Gonzaga's Kyle Wiltjer. 45 points. 7 for 10 from the 3 pt line. 15 for 22 shooting for the night, and 8-9 from the foul line. It was the only foul shot Gonzaga missed all night. His last one I really believe he was trying to miss on purpose but was so hot tonight that even that shot went in. You don't think it's possible? Happened to me twice. Once at Gonzaga. Yeah! So I was trying to miss just to see if it would go in and it did......lmao! It also happened once at the state tournament in the finals. There's nothing quite like that feeling of being THAT HOT.

I was fortunate to see one of Kevin Pangos' first game in K2 against WSU and Kevin scored 33 and I think he made six threes. I was there in the stands (second row seat). It was so incredible to be at that game, and Kevin was so young. We were still wondering how good he'd be. He showed us that night. Kyle showed us tonight what he can do. He also led the team in rebounding.

What was cool was that Pacific was just about as hot from the 3 point line. They too were on fire; so it was kind of like watching the fireworks on the 4th of July early in February. Gary Bell was also hitting his 3's tonight and was the only other Zag to score in double figures with 12.

I know others want to say something so I'll close now and maybe say more later. It was probably not what some fans wanted to see (because it was close) but for fans who love to see the kind of scoring and offensive show that Kyle put on, in was just an incredible game.

Go Zags!!!
One game at a time!

Baseline
02-19-2015, 09:43 PM
I have been thinking Kyle would have to have a bit more strength to be an NBA player, but after the last few games I'm having second thoughts. He has the offensive game with out a doubt, but its his rebounding and defense 5that is starting to really be put in place. I hope we can win out and make a deep run and ride Kyles ability in achieving that.

Reborn
02-19-2015, 09:48 PM
In the last half-dozen games I've been hoping that someone would step up and begin scoring like Kyle did tonight. We need someone who can do this going into the NCAA Tournament. What is nice about Kyle's games is that he can really shoot on the road, and I think he may actually play better on the road. He's just a weird kind of guy, but dang can he shoot that ball, and his left-handed finger roll on the baseline was just SO SWEET. i THINK having a guy who can take over a game can really help in March Madness.

Go Zags!!!

Marcus
02-19-2015, 10:01 PM
In the last half-dozen games I've been hoping that someone would step up and begin scoring like Kyle did tonight. We need someone who can do this going into the NCAA Tournament. What is nice about Kyle's games is that he can really shoot on the road, and I think he may actually play better on the road. He's just a weird kind of guy, but dang can he shoot that ball, and his left-handed finger roll on the baseline was just SO SWEET. i THINK having a guy who can take over a game can really help in March Madness.

Go Zags!!!

Absolutely. This Will be huge. He couldn't have picked a better time to assert himself. I think the roles of the team are becoming more clear too. With all the talent and new parts it just took a while but he is definitely our go to scorer.

seacatfan
02-19-2015, 10:02 PM
Wiltjer was amazing, what a performance. Olynk had some incredible games, but truly haven't seen anything like that from a Zag since Morrison.

Pangos had ZERO field goals. I know he's dishing out assists and running the team, but seems like he should be more involved on offense.

Bell had a great first half...then took 1 FG attempt in the 2nd half? I'd love to see him have back to back good halves in the same game, seems like it never happens.

Sabonis was 4-10 from the field. Has he ever been under 50% in a game before?

Yeah Pacific shot the ball well, it was still kind of disturbing that GU never really did pull away. Oh well, still a win, but does nothing to dispel the grumblings about them not deserving a #1 seed or whatever. Probably need a better game against SMC to come out of Moraga with a win.

CdAZagFan
02-19-2015, 10:10 PM
Only saw parts of the second half and was a little concerned with the defense I saw - Pacific was getting a lot of buckets down low (and/or drawing a lot of fouls)... But a win is a win and they all count - this has been a great season. Incredible performance by Wiltjer - every time it looked like Pacific was going to catch up, Wiltjer was there to squash their hopes.

hooter73
02-19-2015, 10:11 PM
Thats actually interesting. The KO story is probably one of my favorite of all the Zag storyline I could pick from, but he was never all dominating like Morrison or Kyle is becoming. For the record, I still think KO is the better player. His power was just seemingly unstoppable. Morrison was electrifying, KO was inspiring, Im still trying to figure out what Wiltjer is.

CDC84
02-19-2015, 10:25 PM
GU went from 18 to 32 in defensive efficiency tonight. 11 threes by Pacific. Really brought up bad memories from the past when GU struggled to defend the 3 line on almost a nightly basis........

The defense better show up Saturday in Moraga.

Gonzaga was also outrebounded in this game but a very undersized Pacific team.

krozman
02-19-2015, 10:28 PM
KW should thank the 3 point shooters for Pacific. Without them the reserves would have come in long before he could get 45 points.

seacatfan
02-19-2015, 10:29 PM
Thats actually interesting. The KO story is probably one of my favorite of all the Zag storyline I could pick from, but he was never all dominating like Morrison or Kyle is becoming. For the record, I still think KO is the better player. His power was just seemingly unstoppable. Morrison was electrifying, KO was inspiring, Im still trying to figure out what Wiltjer is.

KO did score 30 or more in back to back games, that was impressive. He seemed fairly dominating at times during his Jr. year. Wiltjer just made it look so easy tonight, like he was just gliding around the floor and taking shooting practice.

MDABE80
02-19-2015, 11:09 PM
For a 2-12 team (Pacific) they gave us a lot ore than I thought they would. Kyle putting up 45 pts provided a nice story line but Pacific did some things to keep them in this game. We lost the boards. We really had our hands full with this scrappy team.

siliconzag
02-20-2015, 02:02 AM
1) KW had a career night.
2) Pacific converted on many 3 pointers that the Zags gave them
3) Pacific plays much better at home than on the road, SMC beat them only by 7, they have only lost 3 games by double digits, 17 (SCU), 13 BYU, GU 12
4) Gonzaga's Defense is of significant concern, seemingly unable to get second half stops
5) KW reminded me of Doug McDermott last night, and I never thought I would say that. In fact his moves to the hoop are more effective. The only thing he lacks that Dougie had is the fade away shot.
6) Conclusions: Hard to make anything out of last night's performance, except that our perimeter defense is still suspect. As long as we shoot three pointers well, I guess that doesn't matter too much. Defense, getting crucial stops, and Rebounding are really important come March. These are habits and of significant concern is the trending direction, not to mention that it doesn't appear as though they have been focusing on these crucial aspects of the game. Anyway, KW had a career night in Stockton and so did Pacific's David Taylor 5/7 from 3 (This season 35%). Not time to get super worried or panicky, but on the other hand, no chest thumping on this one. We got some learnin to do. March is near. KW will not score 45 points against SDSU.

Zagger
02-20-2015, 02:14 AM
For a 2-12 team (Pacific) they gave us a lot ore than I thought they would. Kyle putting up 45 pts provided a nice story line but Pacific did some things to keep them in this game. We lost the boards. We really had our hands full with this scrappy team.
Same thought here. Wow on Wiltjer! The stat I like most though is 16 of 17 free throws. Zags played some ragged D but they certainly were not rattled. That kind of free throw shooting has put a grin on my face. Glad Pacific had such a good game. I like Portland but I hope Pacific can beat them this Saturday. With the way Pacific played last night they deserve some more Ws.

jazzdelmar
02-20-2015, 03:55 AM
The college BB version of flag football, in terms of (less than max) intensity and defense. Up and down the court. Other than KW's brilliant shooting, not much to get thrilled about on the GU side. Bell was hottt, then, as per usual, just stopped. Pangos was as ghostly as he has been; let's hope he can materialize in bigger games. Wesley continues his dumb play making, Karno was snoozers, it even took the usually high octane Bonus a while to right himself. KD, Melson and Mac had uncredited cameos. Zags are right where they always are at this time of year: playing less than their best ball and looking to just outscore teams in the post season.

Robzagnut
02-20-2015, 04:22 AM
3) Pacific plays much better at home than on the road, SMC beat them only by 7, they have only lost 3 games by double digits, 17 (SCU), 13 BYU, GU 12
4) Gonzaga's Defense is of significant concern, seemingly unable to get second half stops
5) KW reminded me of Doug McDermott last night, and I never thought I would say that. In fact his moves to the hoop are more effective. The only thing he lacks that Dougie had is the fade away shot.
6) Conclusions: Hard to make anything out of last night's performance, except that our perimeter defense is still suspect. As long as we shoot three pointers well, I guess that doesn't matter too much. Defense, getting crucial stops, and Rebounding are really important come March. These are habits and of significant concern is the trending direction, not to mention that it doesn't appear as though they have been focusing on these crucial aspects of the game. Anyway, KW had a career night in Stockton and so did Pacific's David Taylor 5/7 from 3 (This season 35%). Not time to get super worried or panicky, but on the other hand, no chest thumping on this one. We got some learnin to do. March is near. KW will not score 45 points against SDSU.

7) No Nunez also hurt. Both Karno and Domas picked up two quick fouls, so Wiltjer played all of the 1st half. You could tell he was gassed toward the end of the half when the Zags had to play small ball with Wesley at the 4 and Drang at the 3.

Hoopaholic
02-20-2015, 05:24 AM
The college BB version of flag football, in terms of (less than max) intensity and defense. Up and down the court. Other than KW's brilliant shooting, not much to get thrilled about on the GU side. Bell was hottt, then, as per usual, just stopped. Pangos was as ghostly as he has been; let's hope he can materialize in bigger games. Wesley continues his dumb play making, Karno was snoozers, it even took the usually high octane Bonus a while to right himself. KD, Melson and Mac had uncredited cameos. Zags are right where they always are at this time of year: playing less than their best ball and looking to just outscore teams in the post season.

how many basketballs are on the court at any one time?

kitzbuel
02-20-2015, 05:54 AM

I am particularly impressed with how well he positions himself and works so that he gets easier shots. He didn't seem to take a difficult shot all night.

Birddog
02-20-2015, 06:08 AM
I am particularly impressed with how well he positions himself and works so that he gets easier shots. He didn't seem to take a difficult shot all night.

It helps that KW's comfort zone is friggen huge! From bunnies to deep 3's, from drop step to spin moves, he is fluid.

DixieZag
02-20-2015, 06:25 AM
I knew this game would be frustrating in terms of GU looking like they were sleepwalking. I didn't know it would result in an offensive explosion by both teams, I thought the opposite - 60 to 40 type of game.

I think this game means absolutely nothing big picture. No team is going to "get up" for a game on the road against the bottom of the conference, none. UVA's almost loss at home to Wake is but one example.

The true measure of where we are as a team right now will be SMC on Saturday night. SMC isn't a great team, not even a good team, probably mid to low level NIT team. And, yet, they are #2 in the conference and our rival. If we walk into their gym, take control, lead at half, play great defense and stretch out a comfortable win, that will be more indicative of where we currently are.

GonzagasaurusFlex
02-20-2015, 06:38 AM
Though Pacific gave Zags a better game than expected, I actually feel a lot better about the Zags after this one than other close WCC games on the road.

Yes, Pacific's 3-pt shooting %age is worrisome and there were several wide open looks off of seemingly simple plays (set a high screen) ....there were also several really really tough 3's that just went in. On balance, Zags need to clean up their strategy/execution vs high screens but I think it was more a team playing out of its mind than poor defense by Zags. Good news, Zags did not get rattled and played smart offense....keep feeding the hot handed KW!!

The earlier comments re: Pangos not shooting or scoring much...ditto PK and Bell in 2nd half are not concerns of mine at all. Other than Sabonis forcing a few shots and Wesley making a few poor decisions, I thought the Zags played really really smart and unselfish basketball. KW was the hot hand, Pacific had no way to stop him, so Zags kept giving him the ball. Pangos with 8 assists and 2 turnovers, Wiltjer with 4 assists, team with 20 assists on 30 made field goals!

Obviously the Zags are enjoying such great offensive shooting %ages because of inferior size/athleticism vs WCC foes, and it will all boil down to proving they can do it against the big boys in March. In the meantime, I love this team and loved last night's game in particular. Free throw shooting was locked in, much more confident vs fullcourt pressure, and a team that obviously rejoices in one another's success....loved seeing the guys root for and swarm to KW after the game!

Ratchet up the defensive intensity/execution vs St. Mary's and handle your business Saturday Zags!

willandi
02-20-2015, 06:38 AM
Pacific, on the season, is a 35% 3pt shooting team. Last night they were much better. The Zags started by backing off, giving them the 3, and they made them. Some were uncontested, several were NBA range and some were with a hand in the face. The 3's forced the Zags to spread the D, which opened driving and rebounding lanes.

The Zags won the game on the back of Wiltjer, over another WCC team whose season would have been salvaged by beating the Zags at their home. It isn't hard to understand. It is possible too, that the Zags were peeking ahead to Saturday...just a little, nonethelesss, it is a win, guaranteed at least a tie for the Conference, a tie for # of wins in a row, and best winning percentage (at this time) in school history. Saturday it could be Pangos with 20.

I expect the Sat. damage will be done by Karno and Domas, beating down Waldow to show him what REAL centers are like. He can then graduate and languish in the D league for several years like his buddy Ham Sanwich, while the guard that is too small, can't shoot or defend goes to the show!

Zags Basketball! It's Zagtastic!

gu03alum
02-20-2015, 06:39 AM
Great offensive game, but Gonzaga continued it's defensive slide. They are down to 32 on Kenpom (http://kenpom.com/) in defensive efficiency and now only the 7th overall team.

VinnyZag
02-20-2015, 06:43 AM
Pangos had 8 assists with only 2 turnovers. He was not invisible offensively. There's more to it than scoring.

Defensive effort by the team was really disappointing. Many of Pacific's 3s were just wide open ... Some were contested, too, but not enough.

Reborn
02-20-2015, 06:45 AM
Not much has been said about Kevin Pangos, but he played great last night. The Zags had 20 assists last night, and Pangos certainly had his share. I thought he was a star last night. I love to watch how he orchestrates the offense. The Zags' offense continues to a great mystery. You never know how it's going to unfold. Will they score inside? Or will it be outside? It's nice to see Gonzaga shoot well from the outside on the road.

I'll tell you what was wrong with the defense. Karnowski didn't play any. He refused, for some reason to come out on the pick and roll and switch off on the guards who were getting picked off all night long by players setting screens. I didn't think Wesley gave 100% effort on defense or rebounding. I'm not sure why. I felt the rest of the guys were busting their butt off. The guards were trying to fight threw the screens but Pacific has very big post players who were setting those picks. I was impressed by how hard Pacific played last night, and their players all seemed like football players who could really shoot.

I'm glad that these teams are really playing Gonzaga tough. I believe the conference IS tougher this year. There are some really good young players. I think the tougher (and closer) the games are the better it is for the Zags. The games are certainly tougher on us fans. I was really concerned last night as Pacific was on fire the whole game. They never let up. I kept wondering if Gonzaga would crack at the end. Once again the team did not let us down. Wiltjer was as relentless as Pacific. He never let up, and he just kept scoring both inside and out. I enjoyed the game a lot.

Go Zags!!!
One game at a time!

MickMick
02-20-2015, 06:48 AM
GU went from 18 to 32 in defensive efficiency tonight. 11 threes by Pacific. Really brought up bad memories from the past when GU struggled to defend the 3 line on almost a nightly basis........

The defense better show up Saturday in Moraga.

Gonzaga was also outrebounded in this game but a very undersized Pacific team.

Long range bombs create long rebounds. It works toward Pacific's increased rebounding chances with their lengthy or quick (or both) guards combined with the idea that you go from an area of size dominance to an area of 50/50 loose ball type situations. Additionally, Pacific's Thompson uses excellent rebounding technique. Further, when you shoot 55% or greater, rebounds are not nearly as impactful on the game outcome as rebound opportunities decline.

Zag's small lineup doesn't block out very well.

I'm giving Pacific credit as opposed to knocking the Zags.

JPtheBeasta
02-20-2015, 07:11 AM
Yeah Pacific shot the ball well, it was still kind of disturbing that GU never really did pull away. Oh well, still a win, but does nothing to dispel the grumblings about them not deserving a #1 seed or whatever. Probably need a better game against SMC to come out of Moraga with a win.

It's seemingly the same at this time every year. The Zags can't help themselves with a win and kill themselves with a loss. I can't imagine the mindset that these players have to have to stay motivated and keep winning. I think it's a testament to them that they play hard until the end.

FuManShoes
02-20-2015, 07:16 AM
Yeah, no complaints about the offense. It wasn't as balanced as usual but when a guy is making everything, feed him. I thought the whole team did a good job of that.

Now the defense ... as others said, it seemed a combination of Pacific feeling comfortable - that opening contested jumper gave flashbacks of las year at Portland- and GU not closing out and rotating well enough. Unfortunately (understandably) this team seems to pride itself on offensive efficiency and unselfishness and not on defense and getting stops. Sure they talk about it and go on great streaks, but they have these games where it just seems they aren't all buying in. Probably just isn't in the DNA of several guys, or their forte. But it has to be better if they hope to make a run.

VaBeachZAG
02-20-2015, 07:16 AM
I have been thinking Kyle would have to have a bit more strength to be an NBA player, but after the last few games I'm having second thoughts. He has the offensive game with out a doubt, but its his rebounding and defense 5that is starting to really be put in place. I hope we can win out and make a deep run and ride Kyles ability in achieving that.

Let's see how KW does against real competition before we start the NBA speculation again. Yes, he had a great scoring night (albeit against a mediocre opponent) and should be congratulated for it, but NBA ready he isn't! I saw the UNC-Duke game the other night and the very next game I saw was GU-Pacific. The athleticism and skill demonstrated in the former game was light years ahead of what I witnessed in the latter game. With the defense and rebounding deficiencies the Zags showed against a very very mediocre opponent, I am beginning to grudgingly see why some in the media are questioning our resume against the likes of Wisconsin. Much work is needed (and little time left to do it) before the tournament.

U Zig, I Zag
02-20-2015, 07:26 AM
In the game thread I said I thought GU was playing more of a prevent D, to avoid letting the smaller Pac players get at the bigs and get us in foul trouble. The deal is, we had 4 fouls on Bonis and PK right away anyway.

It would be interesting to see a shot for shot comparison of two games where 'we killed it on 3-pt defense' and last night's game. I am willing to bet that the defense looks an awful lot alike, but that the team that we 'stopped' just didn't hit their shots. We contested most of them, only got caught with our pants down a couple times. OUR shots on the other hand, especially with KW from deep were...open...as...hell. We were all alone several times (and knocked them down).

CDC84
02-20-2015, 07:28 AM
Few after the game:

“That was probably one of the worst efforts on defensive end this year but they deserve a lot of credit. They stepped up and made shots,” Few said. “They were aggressors for long stretches of that game.”

ZenZag
02-20-2015, 07:30 AM

Kyle is SMOOOOOTH..... :D

Kiddwell
02-20-2015, 07:36 AM
(1) Pacific has but one senior. T.J. Wallace can play. Pacific is rebuilding and might be pretty good next year. (They have, after all, the fourth best Number of Wins in California D1 B-Ball over something like the last decade.)
(2) Pepperdine has no seniors. Pepperdine will add two 6-10 bigs next year. (Looks like they're redshirting 'em now.) Watch out for a revival of the GU vs. Pepp Rivalry.
(3) BYU won't miss The Dance two years running. (They're going NIT this year.) They're gonna be better.
(4) SMC will NEVER schedule well. They will NEVER build a facility worthy of a Top-25 team. SMC is in decline.
(5) Zags are so good this year, so resilient, so multifaceted that if they don't make the Final Four, Kiddwell is moving to Australia and taking up crocodile farming.*

:]

*Or, alternately, panning for gold in a worn sweater in Oroville.

hooter73
02-20-2015, 08:51 AM
Let's see how KW does against real competition before we start the NBA speculation again. Yes, he had a great scoring night (albeit against a mediocre opponent) and should be congratulated for it, but NBA ready he isn't! I saw the UNC-Duke game the other night and the very next game I saw was GU-Pacific. The athleticism and skill demonstrated in the former game was light years ahead of what I witnessed in the latter game. With the defense and rebounding deficiencies the Zags showed against a very very mediocre opponent, I am beginning to grudgingly see why some in the media are questioning our resume against the likes of Wisconsin. Much work is needed (and little time left to do it) before the tournament.

Thats exactly what I keep saying and getting booed for. We do not look like the other top teams and our competition does not look like them either. Forget the stats and the "everyones best shot," the teams we play against and have to play hard to win against even at their best are still no where close to any top 25 team.

Pangos needs another high scoring game before march. I LOVE what he is doing with the assists and effort, but he does need to keep his scoring tuned up and people aware of it. Its not like hes not scoring, he isnt even attempting to , which is great, but he needs more more 18 point burst to say "were ready"

rennis
02-20-2015, 08:57 AM
GU went from 18 to 32 in defensive efficiency tonight.

ONE game out of 27 can swing a team 14 spots?

That tells you there is very little difference between being a top 20 and top 40 defensive team.

gu03alum
02-20-2015, 08:59 AM
From Synergy Sports Tech (https://twitter.com/SynergySST/status/568799314627031040/photo/1)
‏@SynergySST
Gonzaga's offense has been unreal this season. This chart paints a good picture of that.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/B-TH9mCCMAAQm0I.png

Reborn
02-20-2015, 09:05 AM
Thats exactly what I keep saying and getting booed for. We do not look like the other top teams and our competition does not look like them either. Forget the stats and the "everyones best shot," the teams we play against and have to play hard to win against even at their best are still no where close to any top 25 team.

Pangos needs another high scoring game before march. I LOVE what he is doing with the assists and effort, but he does need to keep his scoring tuned up and people aware of it. Its not like hes not scoring, he isnt even attempting to , which is great, but he needs more more 18 point burst to say "were ready"

It's odd because I feel just the opposite of you. Wiltjer just had probably the best game of any player this year.

Go Zags!!!

Zagceo
02-20-2015, 09:07 AM

I suggest you re-watch the Zags Arizona game.

Zag Man
02-20-2015, 09:27 AM
I've been hoping that someone would step up and begin scoring like Kyle did tonight. We need someone who can do this going into the NCAA Tournament. i THINK having a guy who can take over a game can really help in March Madness.

If you look at previous teams that have done well or won the NCAA Tournament, they always had a go-to guy that could get them a basket when they needed it. Kyle may be that guy if he gets on a hot streak during the tournament. I thought the amazing thing last night was how the rest of the team deferred their shots to Kyle since he had the hot hand. That is just want you want a team to do. Kyle had an amazing game, but his teammates were equally amazing since they put him in the situations that allowed him to be successful.

gonzagafan62
02-20-2015, 09:32 AM

Exactly. Or St. Joe's, or SMU, did we forget about Pepperdine last Saturday? Or LMU last Thursday? I think if you throw out everyone's best shot, you are really dimming down the lights on what is a great picture.

EDIT: We have it in us, I think one poster summed it up perfectly: "Boredom"

DixieZag
02-20-2015, 09:33 AM
From Synergy Sports Tech (https://twitter.com/SynergySST/status/568799314627031040/photo/1)
‏@SynergySST
Gonzaga's offense has been unreal this season. This chart paints a good picture of that.

So, we're actually shooting better from the right corner three point shot (same spot KW lined up his would be buzzer beater against AZ) and 2 pt shot, than we are from directly under the basket?

Looks to me like we should be running our entire offense toward the right corner.

jim77
02-20-2015, 09:46 AM
Interesting game....always nice to post the "W". I've said it before, I'll say it again. Speed/quickness bothers us more than size. Pacific is a young team but, the got some athletic kids who made a darn good showing of themselves. Seems to be a theme with GU this time of year...other teams giving us fits. The coach wasn't happy with the defense but, why play man against a faster team? This team needs to be playing ZONE most of the time...unless the other team has comparable speed or shoots dead eye 3's. It also protects our bigs....and most teams can't out shoot us anyway. The eye doesn't lie...we aren't all that athletic. A good aggressive zone and our nation leading offense is the ticket. The kids today grew up playing AAU ball...they have NO clue how to beat a good Zone (see SYRACUSE) we need to use it more....it(man) got our bigs in foul trouble last night. It also helps like KP be more effective.

Speaking of KP, that kid made some GREAT defensive plays last night...he got absolutely crushed on 3 charges that he took...hes one tough dude. Love his BB IQ.

Good to see KW showing what he can do last night with his Morrisonesque performance.....maybe other teams will start keying on him more....than another Zag can burn them.

P.S. St Mary's is one of those teams we can man up....lets lock up the title Saturday.....GO Zags!

VaBeachZAG
02-20-2015, 09:52 AM

Fair response, as far as it goes. Yes, the Zags looked and played great against Arizona. The concern I have is that the best performers in the tournament will be teams that have much improved over the course of the season. I'm the first to admit when I am wrong, and hope that is the case here, but I think there is reason to question just how much the Zags have improved since the Arizona game. To me, it's just so hard to gauge GU's improvement against what, from a national perspective, is the mediocre competition offered by the WCC. Comparing the UNC-Duke game with the GU-Pacific game gives me pause (and fear) that the Zags are perhaps being left behind in terms of improvement over the course of the season. I just get the feeling that it is a bit irrational to equate a Pacific bringing its best game against GU to a UNC bringing its best game against Duke. Does anyone remotely believe Gu's performance against Pacific is comparable to either UNC's or Dukes performance the other night? I simply get little comfort in hearing folks (including coach Few) justifying close games that shouldn't be close as being the result of mediocre teams bringing their best against the Zags. In any event, as usual, the tournament will reveal all (and hopefully prove resoundingly that my fears are unwarranted).

Unbiased
02-20-2015, 10:00 AM
Interesting game....always nice to post the "W". I've said it before, I'll say it again. Speed/quickness bothers us more than size. Pacific is a young team but, the got some athletic kids who made a darn good showing of themselves. Seems to be a theme with GU this time of year...other teams giving us fits. The coach wasn't happy with the defense but, why play man against a faster team? This team needs to be playing ZONE most of the time...unless the other team has comparable speed or shoots dead eye 3's. It also protects our bigs....and most teams can't out shoot us anyway. The eye doesn't lie...we aren't all that athletic. A good aggressive zone and our nation leading offense is the ticket. The kids today grew up playing AAU ball...they have NO clue how to beat a good Zone (see SYRACUSE) we need to use it more....it(man) got our bigs in foul trouble last night. It also helps like KP be more effective.

Speaking of KP, that kid made some GREAT defensive plays last night...he got absolutely crushed on 3 charges that he took...hes one tough dude. Love his BB IQ.

Good to see KW showing what he can do last night with his Morrisonesque performance.....maybe other teams will start keying on him more....than another Zag can burn them.

P.S. St Mary's is one of those teams we can man up....lets lock up the title Saturday.....GO Zags!

All great points!

jim77
02-20-2015, 10:01 AM
Fair response, as far as it goes. Yes, the Zags looked and played great against Arizona. The concern I have is that the best performers in the tournament will be teams that have much improved over the course of the season. I'm the first to admit when I am wrong, and hope that is the case here, but I think there is reason to question just how much the Zags have improved since the Arizona game. To me, it's just so hard to gauge GU's improvement against what, from a national perspective, is the mediocre competition offered by the WCC. Comparing the UNC-Duke game with the GU-Pacific game gives me pause (and fear) that the Zags are perhaps being left behind in terms of improvement over the course of the season. I just get the feeling that it is a bit irrational to equate a Pacific bringing its best game against GU to a UNC bringing its best game against Duke. Does anyone remotely believe Gu's performance against Pacific is comparable to either UNC's or Dukes performance the other night? I simply get little comfort in hearing folks (including coach Few) justifying close games that shouldn't be close as being the result of mediocre teams bringing their best against the Zags. In any event, as usual, the tournament will reveal all (and hopefully prove resoundingly that my fears are unwarranted).

You're onto something VA BEACH....If it wasn't for KW matching them bucket for bucket...we loose. Chasing a quicker team isn't smart. Pacific got a ton of open looks...and made us pay. ZONE the quicker teams. Target on back? Aren't ALL teams in the tourney gonna be playing for their life? Target excuse doesn't work......play to our strengths.

TheGonzagaFactor
02-20-2015, 10:08 AM
Wiltjer was amazing, what a performance. Olynk had some incredible games, but truly haven't seen anything like that from a Zag since Morrison.

Pangos had ZERO field goals. I know he's dishing out assists and running the team, but seems like he should be more involved on offense.
Bell had a great first half...then took 1 FG attempt in the 2nd half? I'd love to see him have back to back good halves in the same game, seems like it never happens.

Sabonis was 4-10 from the field. Has he ever been under 50% in a game before?

Come on. We scored 86 points and had a guy get 45 of his own AND WE WON. When Pangos needs to step up his scoring, he does.

gonzagafan62
02-20-2015, 10:26 AM
Come on. We scored 86 points and had a guy get 45 of his own AND WE WON. When Pangos needs to step up his scoring, he does.

yup

DADoZAG
02-20-2015, 10:41 AM
7) No Nunez also hurt. Both Karno and Domas picked up two quick fouls, so Wiltjer played all of the 1st half. You could tell he was gassed toward the end of the half when the Zags had to play small ball with Wesley at the 4 and Drang at the 3.

Though Pacific gave Zags a better game than expected, I actually feel a lot better about the Zags after this one than other close WCC games on the road.

+1 to both of these.

Fouls and no Nunez limited the use of the press and put Coach in a defensive mode.

I thought the ZAGS played pretty well and the score is indicative of Pacific's answered prayers. Take away 3 of the threes that had no business going in, and it's a blowout.

Go ZAGS!

DADoZAG
02-20-2015, 10:43 AM

‏@SynergySST

So, we're actually shooting better from the right corner three point shot (same spot KW lined up his would be buzzer beater against AZ) and 2 pt shot, than we are from directly under the basket?

Looks to me like we should be running our entire offense toward the right corner.

Good point Dix, but what stands out to me is the zone busting mid range game.

Thanx for posting the graphic, '03!

Go ZAGS!

Zagregious
02-20-2015, 10:45 AM
I sense that if there was a game that a team could easily overlook while looking ahead to St Mary's, it was last night. Even though I'm confident the coaching staff would well prepare this team, I get it. Playing the team with the worst record, that you beat by 31 at home, two days before playing your biggest rival and last road obstacle before WCC tournament time.

zag67
02-20-2015, 12:04 PM
Pangos, did have 8 assists. Of those I think 5 were for 3s. That means he scored 4 and caused 21 more. Good night in my opinion.

SwainZag
02-20-2015, 12:13 PM

I will agree to disagree with most of your post. You play the games for a reason and you just can't expect 30 point blow outs on the road regardless of who the team is. Virgnia just struggled with Wake, the mighty Duke just beat a non-tournament team FSU on the road by 3, Wisconsin beat a subpar Penn State team on the road by 8. Pacific had their best shooting night all season, was making long jumpers, contested shots and GU still won by double digits on the road.

Why does Pangos need another high scoring game? Everyone knows he can score and every opponent is aware of it. Pangos being keyed in on is probably a big reason why GU is the top shooting team in the country. Give him some room he will score on you, key in on Pangos and he will find KW, Shem, Sabonis, etc for an easy bucket. While I wouldn't mind seeing him have a nice scoring game, if he wants to dish 8 assists and not force up 3's because there is a better look, the more power to him.

MDABE80
02-20-2015, 02:40 PM
Few after the game:

“That was probably one of the worst efforts on defensive end this year but they deserve a lot of credit. They stepped up and made shots,” Few said. “They were aggressors for long stretches of that game.”

This has gone on for the past several games. Don't be relaxed because of Wiltjer's 45 pt. outburst. That is a sideshow and rare. The coast is far from clear. The REAL money is in Few's words.
If we don't play better defense, our offense will win a few but we'll be long gone before the round of 16. Defense, especially at this time of the year must be a Tony Bennett type defense. We'll be hitting the road if Few doesn't demand and GET better D.

maynard g krebs
02-20-2015, 04:11 PM
That was probably the easiest 45 points I've seen anyone score in the physical, low scoring modern era. Credit needs to be divided equally with the guards who put KW in the position for a lot of fairly easy scores.

As to defense and rebounding: the players are human, and as such are subject to the normal range of human emotion. It's a lot easier for Duke to get up for UNC than it is for the Zags to get up for Pacific. Some people will call that an excuse, but I bet if you put any of the other top 10 teams in the Zags' place you'd see about the same.

Hoopaholic
02-20-2015, 04:34 PM
I will agree to disagree with most of your post. You play the games for a reason and you just can't expect 30 point blow outs on the road regardless of who the team is. Virgnia just struggled with Wake, the mighty Duke just beat a non-tournament team FSU on the road by 3, Wisconsin beat a subpar Penn State team on the road by 8. Pacific had their best shooting night all season, was making long jumpers, contested shots and GU still won by double digits on the road.

Why does Pangos need another high scoring game? Everyone knows he can score and every opponent is aware of it. Pangos being keyed in on is probably a big reason why GU is the top shooting team in the country. Give him some room he will score on you, key in on Pangos and he will find KW, Shem, Sabonis, etc for an easy bucket. While I wouldn't mind seeing him have a nice scoring game, if he wants to dish 8 assists and not force up 3's because there is a better look, the more power to him.

his scoring ability has teams focusing on him which is giving wiltjer open looks

watch teams on pick and rolls they are double jumping pangos leaving kw open on the pop

watch teams focus on him coming off baseline screens leaving post duckins open

when teams turn attentioon away from him he blisters them with points

Zagricultural
02-20-2015, 04:39 PM
Tenacious physical defense has to be practiced. To those of you making excuses I hope you are right, but I greatly fear we will not have the D to advance far into the tourney if we don't start destroying these league teams.

RenoZag
02-20-2015, 06:24 PM
League teams know the Zags better than anyone. Same coaches, same schemes season after season. We get their best shots because they know us so well.

Destroying league teams on their home courts isn't a realistic expectation. Anticipating the level of competition, scouting the opposition's tendencies, and leaving the visitor's locker room a winner is.

Beat the Gaels.

bballbeachbum
02-21-2015, 06:50 AM
It's seemingly the same at this time every year. The Zags can't help themselves with a win and kill themselves with a loss. I can't imagine the mindset that these players have to have to stay motivated and keep winning. I think it's a testament to them that they play hard until the end.

Hey JP, I hear you.

on the Zag D, it's not elite but it's pretty good. will they give up 3 pointers? probably, that's how teams attack them, from the perimeter both off the bounce and from behind the arc, and sometimes they'll go off. Zags have the O to counter that if/when it happens...what's wrong with a shootout? I'll take this Zag team in one of those. anyway, seems there are a couple of key Zag contributors on D who, when not on the floor, are missed