PDA

View Full Version : David Stockton to sign 10-day contract with Kings

azzagfan
02-19-2015, 08:38 PM
So reports ESPN's Marc Stein on Twitter.

RenoZag
02-19-2015, 08:41 PM
George Karl likes to shake things up. . .maybe he gives David some meaningful minutes.

azzagfan
02-19-2015, 08:41 PM
https://twitter.com/espnsteinline.

Radbooks
02-19-2015, 08:46 PM
According to:

Marc Stein ‏@ESPNSteinLine 19m19 minutes ago

ESPN sources say Sacramento Kings planning to call up guard David Stockton from Reno Bighorns of @nbadleague to sign 10-day contract

I was sort of surprised so I looked up his stats at Reno and he's had some amazing games - scoring 28 and 30 points a couple of times and over 10 assists, etc. Here's a link to the Reno Bighorn website (http://dleague.nba.com/player/david-stockton/) with highlights:

Good luck, David!!

webspinnre
02-19-2015, 08:53 PM
Fantastic, good for him!

DixieZag
02-19-2015, 09:01 PM
That is absolutely amazing. I can't believe that.

I thought he'd have trouble sticking anywhere in Europe. Can't believe he is scoring, too. How?

Never count that kid out. Never.

23dpg
02-19-2015, 09:02 PM
That is so cool.

BTB
David was a top 5 player in the D league so far this year. We'll see if he gets an extension after these 10 days, but I'm betting he will be in the NBA next year one way or another.

SWZag
Considering that he is ranked as high as he is on the career lists without even starting much of his career is a testament to how good he really is and great to see his getting his chance!! Couldn't be happier for him!

BTB
That is absolutely amazing. I can't believe that.

I thought he'd have trouble sticking anywhere in Europe. Can't believe he is scoring, too. How?

Never count that kid out. Never.

He can shoot the 3 now. Always heard he could do it in practice.

23dpg
02-19-2015, 09:03 PM
Couldn't be happier for the guy.

gonzagafan62
02-19-2015, 09:05 PM
Nice for Stockton! So glad to hear!

So a quote from the great Quentin Hall:

You see that round ball? It will take you places you can never imagine, as long as you are willing to put in work. Lots of Work.

David does just that, and his pure will does it for him. Just a heckuva competitor

Birddog
02-19-2015, 09:07 PM
This news might bring Gamagin back for an "I told you so".

Marcus
02-19-2015, 09:07 PM
What a night for the Zags, this is great news.

hooter73
02-19-2015, 09:08 PM
Ive been following him in the D League (good thread chronicling it all in the Old Dogs section.) Stocks has, statistically speaking, gone nuts.

CDC84
02-19-2015, 09:09 PM
Just an incredible story.

23dpg
02-19-2015, 09:13 PM
All those posters who said that the only reason David was on Gonzaga's team was because he was a legacy.....can eat a steaming pile of poo. And there were many that said that and others who inferred it.

zagamatic
02-19-2015, 09:13 PM
I'll admit that I haven't been following his pro career,so count me as surprised. VERY PLEASANTLY SURPRISED

Birddog
02-19-2015, 09:16 PM
All those posters who said that the only reason David was on Gonzaga's team was because he was a legacy.....can eat a steaming pile of poo. And there were many that said that and others who inferred it.

The first time he has a stat line in an NBA boxscore they all should be called out.

U Zig, I Zag
02-19-2015, 09:16 PM
Been looking at his stats and watching the clips on the D-league site. WTF is going on? He is all over the place. Steals, shots, dishing dimes. Looks great.

caduceus
02-19-2015, 09:18 PM

One can only hope.

Miss you Gam.

thespywhozaggedme
02-19-2015, 09:20 PM
That is awesome. But they already have Collison, McCallum and just acquired Andre Miller, so there's already 3 pg's ahead of him. How's he gonna get any pt?

Worthington
02-19-2015, 09:21 PM
GU legend. Toughest kid pound for pound that I've seen come through the program... just so so happy for him!!

zag buddy
02-19-2015, 09:21 PM
I would like to see a thread started on "apologies to David Stockton" for all the negative things that were said during his 4 years of play here. Of course it might be such a long thread that this site cannot contain it. Go David

zag buddy
02-19-2015, 09:24 PM
Sweet I feel avenged for the 4 years I was a loud David supporter in the desert of posts on GU boards. Go David

DixieZag
02-19-2015, 09:26 PM
Ran into Nada the other day at the supermarket and just asked her how David was and where he was playing.

I was shocked when she said he was "here" meaning US and she just added, "he's doing great, having fun"

MickMick
02-19-2015, 09:33 PM
David is a very competent ball distributer. At GU, he occasionally made some dumb, unforced mistakes, usually from risky passes, that only experience could remedy. I always believed that the best way for him to refine his game was to first understand his limitations and not continuously attempt to exceed them. In other words, play within yourself and don't try to do too much. Apparently, the pro atmosphere has really sharpened his decision making.

Baseline
02-19-2015, 09:37 PM
Maybe David will make people forget the other Stockton, whats his name.

23dpg
02-19-2015, 09:40 PM
David is a very competent ball distributer. At GU, he occasionally made some dumb, unforced mistakes, usually from risky passes, that only experience could remedy. I always believed that the best way for him to refine his game was to first understand his limitations and not continuously attempt to exceed them. In other words, play within yourself and don't try to do too much. Apparently, the pro atmosphere has really sharpened his decision making.

Or maybe you were just wrong about him and he did the exact opposite. Maybe

cggonzaga
02-19-2015, 11:35 PM
Sorry but if D League David Stockton played like that at Gonzaga nobody would've had a problem.

Zagger
02-20-2015, 02:34 AM
GU's a place where if you work hard at what your coach (and teammates) are asking of you you're going to get some floor time - even if you make mistakes (within what its expected). David got floor time @ GU and was an exciting player. Having a Dad w/his BB prowess certainly is a factor but David knows that hard work pays off. Last night was a great night learning of David's 10 day deal, seeing Wiltjer light it up, seeing KO in the stands and just plain watching the Zags do what they do.
Go Stocks! Go Zags!

titopoet
02-20-2015, 04:37 AM
Sorry but if D League David Stockton played like that at Gonzaga nobody would've had a problem.

Stockton is a great player and he owes his coach in D-league (with Grinnell roots) a big thanks. That system is perfect for Stocks. Well no matter what, those that laughed at Stocks being an NBA player, have to eat their words as no matter what happens, Stocks is the league.

Also, the his first game well be a reunion with Kelly Olynyk as the Boston Celtics are in town. Two players many here said that no way will they ever see a NBA uniform will be meeting. (Though Kelly won't play due to injury.)

jazzdelmar
02-20-2015, 04:42 AM
Stockton is a great player and he owes his coach in D-league (with Grinnell roots) a big thanks. That system is perfect for Stocks. Well no matter what, those that laughed at Stocks being an NBA player, have to eat their words as no matter what happens, Stocks is the league.

Also, the his first game well be a reunion with Kelly Olynyk as the Boston Celtics are in town. Two players many here said that no way will they ever see a NBA uniform will be meeting. (Though Kelly won't play due to injury.)

I, for one, always felt that Few held David back. :)......Still, pass the salt.

titopoet
02-20-2015, 04:48 AM
I, for one, always felt that Few held David back. :)......Still, pass the salt.

Maybe, but have you seen Reno play. It is a big time version of Grinnell. No D. shoot threes quickly with in 10 sec, mad subs of 5 players at a time, go for steals and if not there go ahead a give up the layup and dunk and then do it again. It is fun show, but not sure it would work as a winning formula.

jazzdelmar
02-20-2015, 05:31 AM
Maybe, but have you seen Reno play. It is a big time version of Grinnell. No D. shoot threes quickly with in 10 sec, mad subs of 5 players at a time, go for steals and if not there go ahead a give up the layup and dunk and then do it again. It is fun show, but not sure it would work as a winning formula.

Tito, I am kidding....and mocking myself as a doubter. I am very familiar w Arsenault and his system; my wife's family lives in Grinnell, IA.

kitzbuel
02-20-2015, 05:40 AM

I would love it if every player we have playing professionally played at their current level when they were at GU.

MickMick
02-20-2015, 06:43 AM
Or maybe you were just wrong about him and he did the exact opposite. Maybe

Or maybe he isn't turning the ball over with risky passes after discovering he doesn't need to take such risks any more. Or maybe his style works better against continuous man defense where the players are coached to have proper spacing and the middle isn't clogged up so much.

U Zig, I Zag
02-20-2015, 07:19 AM
If you watch the highlights, its clear that it's an offense oriented game - very free flowing. Like an NBA all-star game - nobody wants to get hurt. That said, Stockton looks like he is going 110Mph the whole time and he is knocking down shots... that probably stood out. I am glad he gets a chance, hopefully he can log a couple minutes!

Zagnailler
02-20-2015, 07:41 AM
One can only hope.

Miss you Gam.
Amen brother.

zag944
02-20-2015, 08:07 AM
Even the biggest David Stockton fans here would have had a hard time believing he'd make it farther down the path toward the NBA than a lot of the other fantastic guards we've had around here. Stepp, Raivio, Gray, Bouldin never played a minute of regular season NBA ball if I remember correctly. He's really been taking it to the D League!

Dickau43
02-20-2015, 08:25 AM

Don.

eastsideballer
02-20-2015, 08:46 AM
I dont know if it was real info or just twitter but last night one of the talking heads posted that Sacramento was hosting open tryouts and Bol Kong was invited.

jake
02-20-2015, 08:48 AM
Reno is scoring 137 points a game, so the scoring numbers have to be taken with a little grain of salt. That being said, from the highlights I've seen, Stockton looks like he has stepped up his offense and is hitting some tough shots that I'm not sure he would have hit at GU. He's also shooting pretty well from 3, and even and LMU/Grinnell system doesn't shorten the distance to the 3-point line.

I think we should just enjoy David's success. Clearly some were way too harsh on him at times at GU. I never once thought he was only on the team because of his name. His freshman year, I also never envisioned him being a major contributor like he was by the time he graduated. Obviously some did predict that, but there are always more people saying "I told you so" in hindsight when potential goes on a positive path than there were trumpeting the same thoughts prior to an athlete finding success. Either way, great job David. Good luck!

Mr Vulture
02-20-2015, 09:05 AM
My biggest concern with David in the NBA is still the same, unless he has made some miraculous growth in stature, is that he is too small to guard most everyone in the NBA. He can distribute the ball so he may be able to find a niche of some sort but I would say the NBA is definately a higher level of ball that most would have expected.

sonuvazag
02-20-2015, 09:08 AM
Or maybe he isn't turning the ball over with risky passes after discovering he doesn't need to take such risks any more. Or maybe his style works better against continuous man defense where the players are coached to have proper spacing and the middle isn't clogged up so much.
My take was that David needed to push the envelope to see/show his capabilities. So your advice at the start would have possibly hampered him from reaching for his potential.

My recollection of John in his Gonzaga and earlier NBA years was an adventurous fast-paced player who eventually settled down after he learned from his mistakes. It may have looked like he was less risky by the time he was an NBA All Star because he had already learned from a great deal of risk taking during his development.

Dickau43
02-20-2015, 09:14 AM
I'm 100% rooting for Stock and it's gonna be fun to watch him in the NBA for the next 10 days. But as a big NBA fan, I can tell you that 1) there are at least 20 former GU players I would've expected to get a chance before him and 2) the Kings owner is legitimately crazy.

I saw a post in the GUnit thread (which I just clicked on to see if anyone was dumb enough to vote for anyone besides Wiltjer -- who I struggle to call "Kyle" because I still reserve that for Kyle Bankhead) saying a former Zag made it to the NBA and I cycled through a bunch of names in my head without even considering Stock (again, hard time calling him David, because David is David Pendergraft!).

I always loved how Stock maximized his talent at GU but most of the games we were playing against top teams and he was playing big minutes, he stood out to me as not being talented enough. When he played for the Suns summer league team he just wasn't good. I just can't imagine him not getting run off the court against NBA teams. If he has to spend any time at all guarding Chris Paul tomorrow? Oh god.

I hate that my first real post here in a long time is so negative, because I've always been generally positive here dating back to like 2001 or 2002 on the old forums. I'm not forgetting that he worked his ass off to go from being a walk-on to major contributor for the #1 team in the country, and I hope I'm 100% wrong and he plays great and earns another contract.

Jstock12
02-20-2015, 09:27 AM

Josh... duh.

77Zag
02-20-2015, 09:37 AM
Good for David...
maybe he's going to play tonight vs. Boston

I'm sure they will put him on KO to shut him down.

Go David, Go KO, Go Zags -- Beat SMC to a pulp

zag buddy
02-20-2015, 09:48 AM
from walk on to an NBA player, only at Gonzaga

titopoet
02-20-2015, 09:52 AM
Tito, I am kidding....and mocking myself as a doubter. I am very familiar w Arsenault and his system; my wife's family lives in Grinnell, IA.

I know. I just love the style, even though I know it would work long term for success. But it sure fun to watch.

cjm720
02-20-2015, 10:37 AM
Even the biggest David Stockton fans here would have had a hard time believing he'd make it farther down the path toward the NBA than a lot of the other fantastic guards we've had around here. Stepp, Raivio, Gray, Bouldin never played a minute of regular season NBA ball if I remember correctly. He's really been taking it to the D League!

Or even making it. Pretty unbelievable, frankly. I think OregonZagNut mentioned he wouldn't be surprised if he made it and nearly everyone doubted, me included. Pretty impressive...hope he lasts more than 10 days.

Zagger
02-20-2015, 10:41 AM
Some of the stuff online regarding David and the Kings ....
http://probasketballtalk.nbcsports.com/2015/02/20/report-kings-signing-john-stocktons-son-david-stockton/
http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nba/2449
http://www.sactownroyalty.com/2015/2/20/8077269/sacramento-kings-free-agent-rumor-david-stockton
http://goldengatesports.com/2015/02/20/david-stockton-sign-10-day-contract-kings/
There's really quite a bit online ..... just Google "David Stockton" and "Kings" (use the quotes and the 'and')

The Golden Gate Sports one is pretty good:

Despite being the Sacramento Kings‘ head coach for less than a week, George Karl is already making some moves to shake up his roster a little bit. Ahead of the trade deadline on Thursday, the Kings acquired backup point guard Andre Miller from the Washington Wizards. The new coach is quite familiar with Miller from their days together with the Denver Nuggets. Now, the team is calling up a player from the D-League’s Reno Bighorns.
With an injury to starter Darren Collison, and Miller’s lack of playing time (12 minutes per game in Washington) and age (38 years old) bringing his stamina into question, the team will recall David Stockton from Reno, and sign him to a 10-day contract, according to ESPN’s Marc Stein.
ESPN sources say Sacramento Kings planning to call up guard David Stockton from Reno Bighorns of @nbadleague to sign 10-day contract
— Marc Stein (@ESPNSteinLine) February 20, 2015
With the signing of Stockton, the hope is to bring depth to a position at which they are in dire need, at least for the immediate future. The team sent Ramon Sessions to Washington in the Miller deal, leaving Ray McCallum as the only healthy point guard on the roster, besides Miller. McCallum himself averages only 14 minutes per game, meaning he and Miller combine for just 26 minutes per game, or just over a half. Stockton adds a healthy body, just in case one of the incumbents are injured, or need an extended rest.
Stockton has a great bloodline, as his father is the legendary John Stockton, a Naismith Memorial Hall of Famer, and the NBA’s all-time leader in assists and steals. The younger Stockton followed his father’s footsteps by attending Gonzaga University.
While a Bulldog, Stockton was a walk-on, and mostly became a contributor off the bench. In his first three seasons, he was known as a tenacious defender, willing to do all the dirty work to help his team. He became a starter in his senior season, as he started 36 games, scoring 7.4 points, dishing out 4.2 assists, nabbing 1.5 balls per game. He helped his team to the NCAA Tournament every season.
After his fourth year at Gonzaga, Stockton went undrafted in the 2014 NBA Draft. He attended Summer League with the Phoenix Suns, but playing time was hard to come by. In two games, Stockton played just 19 minutes and scored six points. He did, however, tally three steals in 14 minutes in a game against the Dallas Mavericks.
In late-September, the Wizards brought in Stockton to be a part of their training camp roster. The NBA dream was short-lived, as he was waived on October 3rd, just five days after his signing.
During the 2014 D-League draft, the Maine Red Claws picked Stockton in the third round, but he was traded to the Bighorns that night. He stuck with Reno, and has played 31 games for the team. In just over 27 minutes a night, Stockton scores 16.6 points on 46 percent shooting. He also shoots 36.4 percent from beyond the arc.
The elder Stockton passed down his game to his son. The 23-year-old is third in the D-League with steals, at 2.4 per game, and fourth in assists, at 8.2 per game.
Also much like his father, Stockton won’t pass the “eye test,” as he stands 5’11” and tips the scales at 165 pounds. He doesn’t possess the skills that make him a natural athlete, but no one will outwork him on the court. He’s a pest defensively, and his work ethic is what makes him special.
A 10-day contract is far from a guarantee, and Stockton may not get any time in the NBA. But with the way the Kings’ season has gone, they’ve got nothing to lose by letting this young man see the court. They might find a diamond in the rough.

HillBillyZag
02-20-2015, 12:35 PM
If solid skills, a great work ethic, guts, and character and terrific genes can get one to the " show " ?, I would put my dough on David. One hell of a young man.

ZagMan in Philly
02-20-2015, 02:16 PM
"Stocksanity"

Apprently the Kings' owner is an odd ball. The article has David and John Stockton references...

http://espn.go.com/nba/story/_/id/12317667/the-fast-curious

Bogozags
02-20-2015, 03:42 PM
Am hoping you are right...miss his posts!

Kong-Kool-Aid
02-20-2015, 03:47 PM
Too bad KO won't be playing tonight. Would be fun to see them on the floor at the same time.

webspinnre
02-20-2015, 03:54 PM
Too bad KO won't be playing tonight. Would be fun to see them on the floor at the same time.

Exactly what I was thinking.

DixieZag
02-20-2015, 04:02 PM
I can't believe he is shooting in the high 30s from 3.

He must be getting stronger. I often thought that was holding his shot back as much as anything. He basically had to shoot a set shot. But, if he does get stronger, he could really develop it.

Amazing.

Vanzagger
02-20-2015, 04:03 PM
The first time he has a stat line in an NBA boxscore they all should be called out.

Hopefully it's better than 0-4.

I wish him the best. It was upsetting that every time I said this is not going to work in March many posters acted like it was something personal. If he could have fairly beat out our other PGs I would have been fine to see where he could take it. But moving other PGs out of position....to create playing time for a 5'9 player.....I consider that a waste of rosters with NBA players.

GBJ at the wing? Is there anyone here who really wants to take a stab at justifying that? I remember Guy Landry Edi's senior year. He's starting. He's playing well and scoring. What the hell happens two and a half minutes into the games? He gets subbed out for David. When Edi was ineligible Few says how bad they need him. Now he's playing well but in comes Stockton. Another pg? It wasn't fair to Gary or the team. Like Keating said, he will be evaluated for the League. He will be evaluated as a Point Guard though.

GoZags
02-20-2015, 04:42 PM
I knew Roth should have handed you the reigns.

You'd have gotten 6'4 elite guards to Gonzaga far sooner than Few got McLellan, Wesley and Melson to Spokane.

I wish him the best. It was upsetting that every time I said this is not going to work in March many posters acted like it was something personal. If he could have fairly beat out our other PGs I would have been fine to see where he could take it. But moving other PGs out of position....to create playing time for a 5'9 player.....I consider that a waste of rosters with NBA players.

GBJ at the wing? Is there anyone here who really wants to take a stab at justifying that? I remember Guy Landry Edi's senior year. He's starting. He's playing well and scoring. What the hell happens two and a half minutes into the games? He gets subbed out for David. When Edi was ineligible Few says how bad they need him. Now he's playing well but in comes Stockton. Another pg? It wasn't fair to Gary or the team. Like Keating said, he will be evaluated for the League. He will be evaluated as a Point Guard though.

cjm720
02-20-2015, 04:55 PM
I'm

How gracious and a terrible analysis. We didn't have a wing and coach rather would have ball handlers that limit turnovers.

ZagLawGrad
02-20-2015, 05:08 PM
Good luck, David. Make us proud.

Birddog
02-20-2015, 06:07 PM

Seattle Hoo was looking for some sophistry, you might have nailed it.

caduceus
02-20-2015, 06:13 PM
Stockton sighted...Coach Karl gave him a head rub after the intros.

Oregonzagnut
02-20-2015, 07:23 PM
Or even making it. Pretty unbelievable, frankly. I think OregonZagNut mentioned he wouldn't be surprised if he made it and nearly everyone doubted, me included. Pretty impressive...hope he lasts more than 10 days.

Thanks cjm720. If anyone would remember my early thoughts on D Stockton, you would be one. I'd bet Jazz will remember that too. Although I thought Stockton would be a draft pick after I saw him in his first midnight madness game in 2009, I assumed he would grow 3-4 more inches and bulk up by 50 more pounds. That didn't happen but the guy has an elite hoops IQ and court vision. Plus EVERYONE knows, brains are better than brawn at the PG spot. Period. I'm not going to judge his future on a couple in-bounds disasters.

Zag365
02-20-2015, 07:42 PM
When he walked on, my take was that if he made the team and did anything to get some playing time, it would be a terrific Zag feel good story. He exceeded all expectations and, yet, there is a cluster of detractors. Don't get it. He's a great Zag and the son of one of the greatest Zags and the grandson of another Zag star. Now he's essentially a walk-on at Sacramento after most thought he had no chance at NBA. It is so cool. What's not to like?

23dpg
02-20-2015, 07:50 PM

Holy contradiction Batman! You just (again) made it personal. He didn't beat out people fairly? Is he playing mind control over Few? has incriminating pictures? getting paid by daddy Stockton?

Few played the best players available. Period. End of story. Stockton was one of them. Get over it or get your own team to coach.

DixieZag
02-20-2015, 08:18 PM
Helps him pay the bills (I'm sure that family helped out a little with that anyway, but).... http://www.ridiculousupside.com/2014/10/3/6897563/what-is-the-earning-power-associated-with-a-10-day-contract

Many people point to the low salaries of the D-League -- the three salary levels are $13,000, $19,000 or $25,500 -- and immediately dismiss it as a viable option for players who want to make a living playing basketball as a profession. Certainly those salaries are not adequate for most people to live off of, especially if there is a family to take care of as well. However, that carrot hanging at the end of the stick -- the 10-day contract with an NBA team -- is well worth the wait.

Last season, there were 49 total call-ups from the D-League to the NBA. Some of these were duplicates as there were only 37 players involved in these call-ups. What is this 10-day contract worth? The answer is, it varies based on length of time spent in the league, however the salary is based off a pro-rated formula that is relatively easy to follow. Players are paid 1/170th of the minimum NBA salary, again based off of their tenure. Multiply the 1/170th figure by 10 for the number of days and you get the salary a player receives for their time.

So for the 2013-14 season, the 10-day call-up amounts were approximately $28,834 for a rookie, $46,404 for a player with one year experience, $52,017 for a player with at least two years experience, and in the event that there was a player with 10 or more years of experience, they would receive a 10-day contract valued at $82,324.

Edit to add: I think those D-League salaries are shameful.

sittingon50
02-20-2015, 08:22 PM

This board is very active & lot's of stuff get's posted everyday. I read most of it but do occasionally skip over threads or parts of threads that I am not interested in.

That being said, the accuracy of what I am about to type can certainly be challenged. Van, your statement/analysis might be one of the 10 dumbest things ever posted here.

Of course that's not personal, only an opinion.

MBAGael
02-20-2015, 08:27 PM
Good for him!

maynard g krebs
02-20-2015, 10:55 PM
This board is very active & lot's of stuff get's posted everyday. I read most of it but do occasionally skip over threads or parts of threads that I am not interested in.

That being said, the accuracy of what I am about to type can certainly be challenged. Van, your statement/analysis might be one of the 10 dumbest things ever posted here.

Of course that's not personal, only an opinion.

I thought this post was about average for VZ.

bigblahla
02-21-2015, 04:22 AM

FYI.... Edi like Carter played himself off the court....you must have not been watching close enough....

Go!! Zags!!!

mtnZag
02-21-2015, 05:10 AM
I'll admit that I haven't been following his pro career,so count me as surprised. VERY PLEASANTLY SURPRISED

I'm not surprised.
Its in his DNA. I saw it and have said it all along...ever since the first time I saw him in a Gonzaga uniform.
Good for David.

He has EARNED it!

PNW Zagfan
02-21-2015, 06:19 AM
When he walked on, my take was that if he m
ade the team and did anything to get some playing time, it would be a terrific Zag feel good story. He exceeded all expectations and, yet, there is a cluster of detractors. Don't get it. He's a great Zag and the son of one of the greatest Zags and the grandson of another Zag star. Now he's essentially a walk-on at Sacramento after most thought he had no chance at NBA. It is so cool. What's not to like?

Agree completely! Well said!

bballbeachbum
02-21-2015, 06:39 AM

what do you say gamagin? hope you're reading these

anyway, this is obviously some cool news, surprising news, amazing news, news that makes me happy. Having watched the Kings play numerous times this year, Sessions was generally awful. that team needs a backup PG, the opportunity is certainly there for David

GeorgiaZagFan
02-21-2015, 08:51 AM

He does help fill that void the NBA has for court-savvy, heady, intelligent basketball players.....he may just stick around if he continues doing his thing. I believe his teammates will love the passing and ball movement to come ....

GeorgiaZagFan
02-21-2015, 08:55 AM
That is awesome. But they already have Collison, McCallum and just acquired Andre Miller, so there's already 3 pg's ahead of him. How's he gonna get any pt?

...I'd be surprised if Andre Miller plays there for long....almost 40 years old. He will be released or traded or something is my guess.

thespywhozaggedme
02-21-2015, 08:56 AM
Huh? He was just aquired from the Wiz because karl loves him from his days in Denver. He'll most likely be groomed to be a coach.
...I'd be surprised if Andre Miller plays there for long....almost 40 years old. He will be released or traded or something is my guess.

GeorgiaZagFan
02-21-2015, 09:11 AM
My biggest concern with David in the NBA is still the same, unless he has made some miraculous growth in stature, is that he is too small to guard most everyone in the NBA. He can distribute the ball so he may be able to find a niche of some sort but I would say the NBA is definately a higher level of ball that most would have expected.

There have been some very good NBA players that were "too small to guard" .....play smart defense and keep doing the other things well....I believe his dad was "too small to guard" the average NBA player...as was Nash, and Bogues, and Spud Webb, and Boykins, and Charlie Criss, and Calvin Murphy, and ....

Marcus
02-21-2015, 09:28 AM
http://www.spokesman.com/stories/2015/feb/21/stockton-called-up-by-kings/

"The elder Stockton, who became the NBA all-time assists leader 19 years ago Friday, offered some advice to his son.

“All he said was be there early, stay late and be yourself,” David said."

I like the quote from John there, simple but great advice. Hope he gets some game action, that would be really fun.

GeorgiaZagFan
02-21-2015, 11:04 AM

...2 points you made shows a limited understanding of basketball. First of all, to think that GLE ever played well for the Zags for more than a couple minute stretch is laughable. He was almost the complete opposite of DS. Great athleticism but so often would make bad decisions and be out of position both on offense and defense. The ball would get to GLE and the offense would stop... Second, are you saying the GBJ should have been playing some PG? I like Bell Jr. but he does NOT have the ball handling and passing skills to be a PG ...Our lack of success in March had little to do with David playing or not playing.
Of the 4 "not going to work in March" losses we had during his stay; last year we could have had GLE playing to your lofted expectations and Arizona was still going to beat us. The year before against Wichita State. GBJ goes down with a broken foot in the 1st half and still the Shockers have to hit 7 straight threes to beat us. If Louisville had lost Russ Smith in the first half against Wichita, they don't win either! The year before that we play Ohio State a couple of hours from their campus and take them to the wire. A more neutral court might have seen a different outcome. In 2011 we ran into a BYU buzzsaw fueled by the Jimmer. The Cougars were the better team that year. So we lost to a #1 seed Arizona, a #2 seed OSU, a #4 seed BYU, and a red hot Wichita State team that made the final four and took eventual champs Louisville to the final wire. I still believe that without the Bell Jr. injury the Zags would have made their first FF visit...and that would have been WITH David Stockton playing significant minutes!!!

rawkmandale
02-21-2015, 12:20 PM
...2 points you made shows a limited understanding of basketball. First of all, to think that GLE ever played well for the Zags for more than a couple minute stretch is laughable. He was almost the complete opposite of DS. Great athleticism but so often would make bad decisions and be out of position both on offense and defense. The ball would get to GLE and the offense would stop... Second, are you saying the GBJ should have been playing some PG? I like Bell Jr. but he does NOT have the ball handling and passing skills to be a PG ...Our lack of success in March had little to do with David playing or not playing.
Of the 4 "not going to work in March" losses we had during his stay; last year we could have had GLE playing to your lofted expectations and Arizona was still going to beat us. The year before against Wichita State. GBJ goes down with a broken foot in the 1st half and still the Shockers have to hit 7 straight threes to beat us. If Louisville had lost Russ Smith in the first half against Wichita, they don't win either! The year before that we play Ohio State a couple of hours from their campus and take them to the wire. A more neutral court might have seen a different outcome. In 2011 we ran into a BYU buzzsaw fueled by the Jimmer. The Cougars were the better team that year. So we lost to a #1 seed Arizona, a #2 seed OSU, a #4 seed BYU, and a red hot Wichita State team that made the final four and took eventual champs Louisville to the final wire. I still believe that without the Bell Jr. injury the Zags would have made their first FF visit...and that would have been WITH David Stockton playing significant minutes!!!

Amen, brother, amen

Dickau43
02-21-2015, 08:10 PM
Kings down 32 w/ under 8 mins left. Let him play!

Dickau43
02-21-2015, 08:15 PM
6:41 David Stockton enters the game for Andre Miller

!!

Radbooks
02-21-2015, 08:16 PM
Yay! Good for him!

surfmonkey89
02-21-2015, 08:21 PM
Welcome to the club trillion

caduceus
02-21-2015, 08:27 PM
Got an assist and a couple of rebounds. Just got his 1st point on a technical FT. Yay, DS!

Edit: Kings went on a 13-0 run after Stocks came in.

Radbooks
02-21-2015, 08:35 PM
Not a bad first game:

M FG 3's FT OR DR TR A S B TO PF +/- Pt
David Stockton, PG 7 0-2 0-1 1-1 0 2 2 1 0 0 2 0 +6 1

Mojo13
02-22-2015, 10:30 PM
This is the ballad of Chris Levesque part II.

Desperate times call for desperate measures.

FuManShoes
02-23-2015, 02:45 PM
Damn. The Kings don't play again till Wednesday, against Memphis. Friday they take on the Spurs, so we could see Stocks vs Patty Mills. Did they cross paths in the WCC? Can't remember when Patty left.

kclubfounder
02-23-2015, 04:32 PM
For the record, I TOLD YOU SO!!!!!!!!

HA HA HA HA HA HA

Great job David!!!!!

There are SO many members of this community that need to eat a huge plate of crow. SO MANY!!!

There. I did it. I reacted to this thread.

GO ZAGS!!!!!!!

Mojo13
02-24-2015, 12:20 PM
For the record, I TOLD YOU SO!!!!!!!!

HA HA HA HA HA HA

Great job David!!!!!

There are SO many members of this community that need to eat a huge plate of crow. SO MANY!!!

There. I did it. I reacted to this thread.

GO ZAGS!!!!!!!

Just curious, what is that you told people?

I think if anyone cares to look closely, there is more to the story of why DS was given a 10 day contract. It looks more of an emergency situation brought on by the trades at the deadline (Sessions traded and A. Miller not getting to Sacto in time for the physical) and some injuries (Collison). Perhaps wiley George Karl knows he needs all the help he can get to teach the rest of the Kings to pass the ball and this is a real shot for DS, but I won't offer to eat that plate of crow until I see him on a real contract.
I am still skeptical that this is nothing more than and emergency move by the Kings with some added publicity benefit. Reno Bighorn writers opine that there are more deserving call ups than DS. We'll see in less than 10 days I guess.

Edit: It sounds like Collison might be hurt worst than expected...40 year old Andre Miller sure cant play full minutes, so who knows? Maybe the Kings really need DS. If that's so, it sure doesn't bode well for the most hapeless organization in the league.

ZaGranny
02-24-2015, 12:50 PM
http://www.csnbayarea.com/kings/undrafted-stockton-looks-make-mark-kings

“There’s no question, we’re thin in the decision-making position of point guard,” Kings coach George Karl said after Monday’s practice.

The addition of Stockton via a 10-day contract and acquisition of Andre Miller adds depth for the Kings to go along with second year point guard Ray McCallum.

The early reviews in Sacramento are positive and they recognize the pressure of being the son of an NBA legend.

“He’s a smart player,” veteran point guard Miller commented David. “He already has the knowledge. It’s in the genetics. It comes easy to him but at the same time, everybody look at him as a small guy so that’s something that he has to deal with."

“Once you step on that court the guy across from you is going to challenge him.”

Stockton saw his first action in the NBA in the Kings 126-101 loss to the Clippers on Saturday, recording one point and one assist in seven minutes.

“Stock (David) did a good job in the fourth quarter in a blowout but he did a nice job,” Karl said.

More at the link.

ZaGranny

cjm720
02-24-2015, 01:05 PM
Just curious, what is that you told people?

I think if anyone cares to look closely, there is more to the story of why DS was given a 10 day contract. It looks more of an emergency situation brought on by the trades at the deadline (Sessions traded and A. Miller not getting to Sacto in time for the physical) and some injuries (Collison). Perhaps wiley George Karl knows he needs all the help he can get to teach the rest of the Kings to pass the ball and this is a real shot for DS, but I won't offer to eat that plate of crow until I see him on a real contract.
I am still skeptical that this is nothing more than and emergency move by the Kings with some added publicity benefit. Reno Bighorn writers opine that there are more deserving call ups than DS. We'll see in less than 10 days I guess.

Edit: It sounds like Collison might be hurt worst than expected...40 year old Andre Miller sure cant play full minutes, so who knows? Maybe the Kings really need DS. If that's so, it sure doesn't bode well for the most hapeless organization in the league.

There were very few people here that thought he had a remote chance to make the league. KC was one of the more demonstrative for his like of DS. I would have lost a lot of money if anyone offered me a bet.

The circumstances of making the league is insignificant. Congrats to DS!

Mojo13
02-24-2015, 02:29 PM
There were very few people here that thought he had a remote chance to make the league. KC was one of the more demonstrative for his like of DS. I would have lost a lot of money if anyone offered me a bet.

The circumstances of making the league is insignificant. Congrats to DS!

True...true. And I would have lost allot of money as well.

I will happily admit when I am wrong but I still just don't believe it yet. The Kings are a terrbile organization with a terrible owner who seems to be drawn to gimmicks and publicity stunts.

However, I have the utmost respect for George Karl so maybe there is something here.

I am curious to see what 5'11 and 165 pounds wet can guard in the NBA. I am hoping his hands are real sticky! Good luck DS, it will be a fun story to watch...and maybe the only reason to watch the Kings.

kitzbuel
02-25-2015, 08:28 PM
True...true. And I would have lost allot of money as well.

I will happily admit when I am wrong but I still just don't believe it yet. The Kings are a terrbile organization with a terrible owner who seems to be drawn to gimmicks and publicity stunts.

However, I have the utmost respect for George Karl so maybe there is something here.

I am curious to see what 5'11 and 165 pounds wet can guard in the NBA. I am hoping his hands are real sticky! Good luck DS, it will be a fun story to watch...and maybe the only reason to watch the Kings.

What is it that you don't believe? That DS will make it to the League? That he will play? Or did you just raise the bar and say it only counts if he becomes a starter?

Birddog
02-26-2015, 05:46 AM
David did not play last night so there probably won't be any new "complisults" appearing on this thread today.

Mojo13
02-26-2015, 10:43 PM
What is it that you don't believe? That DS will make it to the League? That he will play? Or did you just raise the bar and say it only counts if he becomes a starter?

Let's see him play more than 7 minutes in 1 NBA game before declaring he "made the NBA". Something beyond a 10 day contract would help too. Signed for the season and getting regular minutes would convince me.

Do you guys think Elias Harris "made the NBA"? With 2 games and 11 minutes played, my opinion is he didn't.

GoZags
02-27-2015, 12:30 AM
There are opinions and there are FACTS. Elias Harris made the NBA. Even if it was only for a cup of coffee he was THERE. No opinion can deny that fact.

If DS never plays another minute he too made the NBA. That is an undeniable fact.
Let's see him play more than 7 minutes in 1 NBA game before declaring he "made the NBA". Something beyond a 10 day contract would help too. Signed for the season and getting regular minutes would convince me.

Do you guys think Elias Harris "made the NBA"? With 2 games and 11 minutes played, my opinion is he didn't.

LongIslandZagFan
02-27-2015, 08:33 AM

That contains not one iota of logic. Did they play in an NBA game... if the answer is yes... guess what... they made the NBA. Did or will they STAY there, that is a different thing. But it is silly to say they didn't make the NBA when they have logged minutes in an actual NBA game.

Mojo13
02-27-2015, 08:22 PM
That contains not one iota of logic. Did they play in an NBA game... if the answer is yes... guess what... they made the NBA. Did or will they STAY there, that is a different thing. But it is silly to say they didn't make the NBA when they have logged minutes in an actual NBA game.

Easy... People are so sensitive here. I think we are merely disagreeing what "made it" means. I am trying to be impartial and 11 minutes in the nba doesn't cut it.

Yes technically they suited up and played in the nba but they have not "made it" in my view (yet). To me that means they haven't played meaningful minutes. Sacre, daye, KO all "made it". EH and DS have not yet.

But go ahead, Retire their numbers. I'll wait a bit to see more if I have your permission.

kclubfounder
02-28-2015, 06:26 AM
Easy... People are so sensitive here. I think we are merely disagreeing what "made it" means. I am trying to be impartial and 11 minutes in the nba doesn't cut it.

Yes technically they suited up and played in the nba but they have not "made it" in my view (yet). To me that means they haven't played meaningful minutes. Sacre, daye, KO all "made it". EH and DS have not yet.

But go ahead, Retire their numbers. I'll wait a bit to see more if I have your permission.

Many on this board did not think David Stockton belonged on the court in a Gonzaga uniform, and were frustrated and angry with every minute he logged. Maybe you weren't around for those discussions. Or, maybe you participated in those discussions and can't admit you were wrong. Either way, David being on an NBA development team is enough for large portions of crow to be served. Getting called up for even one 10-day contract seals the deal.

a13coach
02-28-2015, 10:16 AM
Many on this board did not think David Stockton belonged on the court in a Gonzaga uniform, and were frustrated and angry with every minute he logged. Maybe you weren't around for those discussions. Or, maybe you participated in those discussions and can't admit you were wrong. Either way, David being on an NBA development team is enough for large portions of crow to be served. Getting called up for even one 10-day contract seals the deal.

+1!

zag buddy
02-28-2015, 04:01 PM
If you are on the rooster of an NBA team and are getting paid for your time for being there you have made it. What are these idiotiotic discussions on splitting fine hairs on what everyone defines as making it. Idiots The proper discussion now is what quality of NBA player is David Stockton. Once again as in most his life he has an uphill climb to succeed.

Mojo13
03-02-2015, 03:14 PM
If you are on the rooster of an NBA team and are getting paid for your time for being there you have made it. What are these idiotiotic discussions on splitting fine hairs on what everyone defines as making it. Idiots The proper discussion now is what quality of NBA player is David Stockton. Once again as in most his life he has an uphill climb to succeed.

Maybe I should just stop poking the hornets’ nest (maybe I am just idiotiotic), but please note David did not get offered another 10 day contract. He will likely end the season and probably his career having played 7 minutes in the NBA. This is great exposure and experience for David and certainly something most here never would have thought (as the "LoL! Told-you-so!" crowd has gleefully pointed out) but I continue to believe this was more of a lucky set of circumstances driven by an emergency situation.

David's career is far from over and perhaps he "makes" the NBA again sometime.

It got me thinking though...who is the worst player to ever play a NBA regular season game? How would you quantify that? Least minutes, worst PER, worst win/share? I was told that some guy played 1 minute in the NBA and accumulated zero stats, but I have yet to find that name/stat.

zag buddy
03-03-2015, 11:51 AM
MoJo13, if you spend as much time looking for your own faults as you do for DS, You must be a heck of a guy.

LongIslandZagFan
03-03-2015, 12:54 PM
Maybe I should just stop poking the hornets’ nest (maybe I am just idiotiotic), but please note David did not get offered another 10 day contract. He will likely end the season and probably his career having played 7 minutes in the NBA. This is great exposure and experience for David and certainly something most here never would have thought (as the "LoL! Told-you-so!" crowd has gleefully pointed out) but I continue to believe this was more of a lucky set of circumstances driven by an emergency situation.

It got me thinking though...who is the worst player to ever play a NBA regular season game? How would you quantify that? Least minutes, worst PER, worst win/share? I was told that some guy played 1 minute in the NBA and accumulated zero stats, but I have yet to find that name/stat.

My late grandfather played for the Chicago White Sox in 1929 for 7 games... did he not make it to the majors? Because if you say no... I have the signed contract from them that says otherwise.

sittingon50
03-03-2015, 01:41 PM

I think it was Moonlight Graham.

Angelo Roncalli
03-03-2015, 03:41 PM
I think it was Moonlight Graham.

Nicely played, sir!

Birddog
03-03-2015, 06:55 PM
Too bad DS's time was up as he would likely have seen some minutes tonight as Kings outscore Knicks by 38!

RenoZag
03-03-2015, 08:17 PM
If I'm on the rooster of an NBA team I think I would be crowing about it.

Zags11
03-04-2015, 10:38 AM
I would as well

Mojo13
03-10-2015, 03:01 PM
If I'm on the rooster of an NBA team I think I would be crowing about it.

I like what you did there....not sure if it was on purpose, but I like it.