PDA

View Full Version : New Brackets are out on 2/19/15

Reborn
02-19-2015, 07:46 AM
Zags are now the fourth #1 seed. Duke Jumped us. I also saw where we got jumped this morning by Wisconsin in the BPI ranking of teams. I notice that San Diego St continues to be placed as the #8 seed in the Seattle pod, where they would play the Zags if they both won their first game. I really can't see San Diego St being so low. They have had a really good season. They're in first place in their conference. Have a nice win against Utah, and only a two pt loss to Arizona. Beating a #9 team in the AP poll should be something to me. They should be a 7th seed at minimum, imo. I believe they are better then both Ohio St and Oklahoma St. who are both seeded 7th.

Go Zags!!!

TheGonzagaFactor
02-19-2015, 08:30 AM
Zags are now the fourth #1 seed. Duke Jumped us. I also saw where we got jumped this morning by Wisconsin in the BPI ranking of teams. I notice that San Diego St continues to be placed as the #8 seed in the Seattle pod, where they would play the Zags if they both won their first game. I really can't see San Diego St being so low. They have had a really good season. They're in first place in their conference. Have a nice win against Utah, and only a two pt loss to Arizona. Beating a #9 team in the AP poll should be something to me. They should be a 7th seed at minimum, imo. I believe they are better then both Ohio St and Oklahoma St. who are both seeded 7th.

Go Zags!!!

5 losses to unranked teams and struggle to win on the road. The committee puts considerable weight on performance in true road games. I wouldn't say they have any "bad" losses besides Fresno and UW, both on the road. They can improve their seeding, but right now anything in the 7-10 range is fair for them.

seacatfan
02-19-2015, 10:50 AM
The UW team that San Diego St. lost to is not remotely the same team that has collapsed during Pac 12 play. The Huskies beat a good Oklahoma team on a neutral court and also beat Eastern Washington, who is having a really good season. SDSU also thumped Pitt during the Maui. They would definitely be a tough team to draw as an 8 seed.

siliconzag
02-19-2015, 11:51 AM
SDSU might be a tough match up for the Zags. They play stiffling defense although their offense is not what it was last year with Xavier Thames. Fisher is a fox. Zags might beat them in Seattle, but it will not be a gimme. No way. In the tournament strong defensive teams frequently outperform their seed. Beware the Aztec. BTW, their fans are out of control, plain nasty and loud too. They will be heard, even in the Key.

DixieZag
02-19-2015, 12:24 PM
I think it is near inevitable that even if we win out, we will fall to that second seed, either #5 or #6 in the S-Curve. I used to think the opposite. But, watching Duke/UNC last night, it was just such high level basketball, the type of games we just don't get into this time of year, it's just very hard to beat Pacific or even SMC and justify being ahead of Duke.

Kills me to say/admit that.

Not that I don't think we can beat either of those teams.

jazzdelmar
02-19-2015, 01:23 PM
SDSU might be a tough match up for the Zags. They play stiffling defense although their offense is not what it was last year with Xavier Thames. Fisher is a fox. Zags might beat them in Seattle, but it will not be a gimme. No way. In the tournament strong defensive teams frequently outperform their seed. Beware the Aztec. BTW, their fans are out of control, plain nasty and loud too. They will be heard, even in the Key.

Sili, ur right. But if SDSU wins out and wins the MWC tourney they will get a higher seed. Just heard on local radio that SDSU has same prob as GU, playing in a weak conference w no opportunity to burnish its rep. I thought that was funny because a couple of years ago people were comparing the Mountain West conference to the Big East of yore.

SwainZag
02-19-2015, 01:26 PM
I think it is near inevitable that even if we win out, we will fall to that second seed, either #5 or #6 in the S-Curve. I used to think the opposite. But, watching Duke/UNC last night, it was just such high level basketball, the type of games we just don't get into this time of year, it's just very hard to beat Pacific or even SMC and justify being ahead of Duke.

All depends on what Wisconsin and Virginia do if we win out and what the committee wants. Would they think it's better for Wisconsin to have to travel or be close to home for regionals? If Virginia struggles down the stretch could they fall off the 1-line and push the Zags and Wisconsin to the 1lines if they run the table? Would the committee give the Zags the 1 seed out West even if there might be a team with a better resume just to reward them?

If us Zags fans want to get that 1 seed I would be rooting for GU wins, WIS losses and IVA losses.

zagamatic
02-19-2015, 01:51 PM
Personally,this is why I tend to prefer a #2 seed over a 1. It's not the difference in the first round opponents,but rather the second round opponents. It just seems like every year that a 8 or 9 seed goes further than a 7 or 10 seed. Last year being a push as Connecticut was a 7 and Kentucky an 8.
Here's a completely hypothetical question....... if the coaches could request that all of the #2 seeds be reclassified as #16 seeds,thus ensuring that the top 8 teams in the country get at least one crack at each other on a "neutral" court, would you want to see that happen even if it means that your personal favorite team could be sent packing after the first full round?
I think that it'd be a cool twist. But i know that there's way too much money at stake for any athletic director to allow it. But it'd be cool to see 4 different games like Wisconsin/Gonzaga or Duke/Arizona,etc in the first weekend. Obviously,the rest of the tournament plays out just like normal. But you'd have 4 marquee games in the first 2 days.

CdAZagFan
02-19-2015, 02:32 PM
I'm with you zagamatic on your first point - I would rather go in as a 2 seed and wouldn't even care if somehow (perhaps a loss in the WCC tourney or at St. Mary's or dare I say both) they go in as a 3 seed. When they get past those first two weekends I want them to be overachievers! And they're going to have to play at least 3 if not 4 really good teams to do that whether they are 2 or 3 seed...

jagwalkley
02-19-2015, 04:07 PM

You are just being realistic.We might beat anyone of those teams if they have an off day and we are on all cylinders.That would be a stretch.