View Full Version : Angel 1 more year

RRZagFan
02-17-2015, 03:20 PM
Per Mehan Twitter waiver went through

ZaGranny
02-17-2015, 03:21 PM
Meehan's tweet:

Jim Meehan ‏@SRJimm 4m4 minutes ago
Gonzaga forward Angel Nunez's appeal to NCAA approved. He'll have one more year of eligibility.

ZaGranny

gonzagafan62
02-17-2015, 03:23 PM
YES! Good for angel! Now I'm not nearly as worried if we lose a big next season. Front court will still be elite. Boy karnowski Edwards Nunez Sabonis wiltjer ... Now can we use the fouls? Lol

Zag_Dad
02-17-2015, 03:24 PM
That's awesome! I'm glad they got that settled before Saturday (senior night) so that he gets to celebrate Bell, Pangos and Wesley with the rest of the team who will also be coming back next year!

realtydog
02-17-2015, 03:27 PM
good news----any word on the Pangos appeal for another year?

Zagdawg
02-17-2015, 03:32 PM
Great news!

WBM
02-17-2015, 03:35 PM
Yay!

WBM
02-17-2015, 03:36 PM
good news----any word on the Pangos appeal for another year?

:000tens:

Zagregious
02-17-2015, 03:39 PM
Absolutely fantastic news. Just the kind of news to provide great focus for Angel heading into the most important time of year. Would love to see his full game come back with a vengeance starting now!

FuManShoes
02-17-2015, 03:42 PM
So that means he can stop d--ing around when he gets minutes, right?

I kid. Sorta.

mtnZag
02-17-2015, 03:47 PM
Absolutely fantastic news. Just the kind of news to provide great focus for Angel heading into the most important time of year. Would love to see his full game come back with a vengeance starting now!

Great news for Angel and the Zags. The kid has game. Hard to get more floor time when team is ranked third and winning. We will need his A game in the upcoming tourneys.

U Zig, I Zag
02-17-2015, 04:01 PM
So that means he can stop d--ing around when he gets minutes, right?

I kid. Sorta.

He's been better.

ZagaZags
02-17-2015, 04:05 PM
Best news I've heard all day.

seacatfan
02-17-2015, 04:09 PM
Good for him, and good for the NCAA. Unless one or two of the bigs leave early to become pro or he transitions to the 3, he'll have a hard time finding minutes next year as well.

gonzagafan62
02-17-2015, 04:13 PM
Good for him, and good for the NCAA. Unless one or two of the bigs leave early to become pro or he transitions to the 3, he'll have a hard time finding minutes next year as well.

True but just in case it is really nice to have him (god forbid injuries)

DixieZag
02-17-2015, 04:15 PM
Very happy for him.

Make the most of it Angel.

That has to lift a huge weight of uncertainty off his shoulders and should motivate him to go even harder.

MickMick
02-17-2015, 04:47 PM
Sometimes, for players, the light bulb just clicks on.

I recall a young quarterback, Jim Harbaugh, constantly, very visibly getting chewed out by coach Mike Ditka. The Bears finally moved on from Harbaugh and I thought his career was basically over. Ten years later, light bulb clicks on, and he is playing extremely well for the Colts. He nearly led that team to the Super Bowl.

Zagger
02-17-2015, 05:09 PM
YeeHaw! Go Zags!
Best for him & team for certain! He'll have many more looks from pro teams if/when he can better perfect his playing and time @ GU. Great news. Bet we see considerable bounce in his step for the rest of this season! Also gives me a much better feeling about March. I think good news like that amongst a group like the Zags helps with group synergy both on an off the court.

RenoZag
02-17-2015, 05:19 PM
I think he deserves a chance without that uncertainty hanging over his head. So much physical talent. . .but I don't think we know what his "A" game or "full game" looks like. Do we ?

Oregonzagnut
02-17-2015, 05:20 PM
OMG! I thought it was already decided! This may be the happiest I have been for a Zag since I heard the Lakers paid for Turiaf's heart operation! Nunez has one more year to get more physically dominant and hone his game down to his best.... and include doing EVERYTHING Few wants, of course. GREAT NEWS INDEED!

23dpg
02-17-2015, 05:27 PM
Fantastic!

There's something about that guy that makes me root for him.

abarefootboy
02-17-2015, 05:41 PM
Wow ! I'm so pleased for Angel and the team. I hope this good news ignites his ' inner rocket ' .. the sky's the limit for him now.

GoZags
02-17-2015, 05:41 PM
OMG! I thought it was already decided! This may be the happiest I have been for a Zag since I heard the Lakers paid for Turiaf's heart operation! Nunez has one more year to get more physically dominant and hone his game down to his best.... and include doing EVERYTHING Few wants, of course. GREAT NEWS INDEED!

There IS a benefit to having the WCC Commish being a former high ranking NCAA exec. She has done a great job and it's refreshing that her sole focus isn't on bettering things for the Bay Area schools (like Gilleran and Jamie Z)

gonzagafan62
02-17-2015, 05:47 PM
I think he deserves a chance without that uncertainty hanging over his head. So much physical talent. . .but I don't think we know what his "A" game or "full game" looks like. Do we ?

I agree, and I think we've seen flashes of what he can do. I suspect we see. More of him next season

Worthington
02-17-2015, 05:47 PM
Great news! The question for me is whether or not his last year will be spent at Gonzaga...I imagine he wouldn't be too thrilled about sticking around for another season of the same playing time that he's getting. If Wiltjer or Karnowski declare, minutes will be there for the taking though

NotoriousZ
02-17-2015, 06:43 PM
Awesome news Angel!!! I couldn't be happier for the guy. You could just tell he's been depressed about this being his last shot and not being able to show what he's really capable of doing. I think this could turn his game around soon. Don't force it, it will come to you Mr. Nunez.

Trust me...we're going to need Nunez in the dance at some point, and probably more than once.

Unbiased
02-17-2015, 07:11 PM
Fantastic!

There's something about that guy that makes me root for him.

Me too.

Chicken Ball
02-17-2015, 07:47 PM
Nunez' path to PT is pretty simple: cut down on turnovers. And maybe stop taking so many threes. But his rebounding, defense, passing, and fg% are all already at a high level. If he can cut down on turnovers, he's a weapon.

zagamatic
02-17-2015, 09:18 PM
Great news! So happy to hear this! I'd be totally ok with Nunez and Dranginis sharing time at the 3 next year whether Wiltjer stays around or not.
Wow! Just had an amazing thought, if none of our bigs leave early, this gives us Karnowski and Edwards at center, Wiltjer and Sabonis at the 4, Nunez and Dranginis at the 3, Melson and Alberts at the 2 and McLellan and Perkins at the point. That would likely make us the tallest team in the country next year. And not just tall,but pretty darn athletic and talented. Hey,one can drool, I mean dream can't he?

jim77
02-17-2015, 10:50 PM
Me too.

Me 3......great to see the kid's career get extended.

jim77
02-17-2015, 10:51 PM
Great news! So happy to hear this! I'd be totally ok with Nunez and Dranginis sharing time at the 3 next year whether Wiltjer stays around or not.
Wow! Just had an amazing thought, if none of our bigs leave early, this gives us Karnowski and Edwards at center, Wiltjer and Sabonis at the 4, Nunez and Dranginis at the 3, Melson and Alberts at the 2 and McLellan and Perkins at the point. That would likely make us the tallest team in the country next year. And not just tall,but pretty darn athletic and talented. Hey,one can drool, I mean dream can't he?

That's AWESOMNESS right there.

Mantua
02-18-2015, 12:42 AM
That's terrific news. I wish it hadn't taken so long for the decision to come down. Waiting to find out about another year of eligibility must have been a bit nerve wracking for Angel.

Martin Centre Mad Man
02-18-2015, 03:19 AM
https://bostongazette.files.wordpress.com/2014/02/the-lego-movie-awesome-e1392309318427.png?w=600

GonzagasaurusFlex
02-18-2015, 06:35 AM

+1...congrats AN...very happy for you!

I would love to see this lineup and rotation next year....Angel needs to be at the '3' as I see no chance of him playing the '4' professionally. KW may be a bit slight of frame for the '4' as well, but he has such good footwork in the post he can score down low in a half-court set more effectively than AN.

Go Zags!!!!!!

Bogozags
02-18-2015, 07:03 AM
Fantastic! I had hoped the NCAA had some compassion for this type of situation...

It's been said on this board that KW will move on after this season and play professionally, so AN will be in the same spot next season unless PK or DS or both leave next season...I am hoping all three return for another fantastic season...also it would be to AN's advantage to work on his outside game as the three spot may be only two deep with KD and Alberts...maybe Coach Few finds another transfer.

cjm720
02-18-2015, 07:11 AM
Sweet...more depth is always a good thing.

hooter73
02-18-2015, 07:40 AM
Nunez is my favorite roller coaster ride more so than even Bell. He started the season off SOOOO well, really playing within himself and the team, then in late December he did a complete 180 back to last year. I really think he could be incredible if he gets his game right and maybe a refocus to a wing player could do that. The coaches are going to have to do something drastic (like him at the wing) if no one declares next year. Nunez, Sabonis, Wiltjer, Karno, Edwards. Five bigs all eligible and at the least, three of them very high level talents.

Im very happy for him.

ZenZag
02-18-2015, 07:44 AM
Really great news. Ever notice, during commercials on Root, that the Root Sports highlight reel features a couple big big dunks by Angel from earlier in the year? Makes me smile and reminds me of his great potential. I'm excited to see if this weight off of his shoulders gets him back to that level of passion. I find myself rooting for him to succeed more than anyone else on the team....for some reason.

TravelinZag
02-18-2015, 08:01 AM
Fantastic! Believe the uncertainty had to affect his attitude. With a change, I wouldn't be surprised to see Angel be a key factor in a couple of wins this year!

Zag 77
02-18-2015, 10:10 AM
Nunez' path to PT is pretty simple: cut down on turnovers. And maybe stop taking so many threes. But his rebounding, defense, passing, and fg% are all already at a high level. If he can cut down on turnovers, he's a weapon.

Ditto. Hopefully this gives him an attitude boost.

basketballzag
02-18-2015, 02:18 PM
Ditto. Hopefully this gives him an attitude boost.

Congrats Angel that is terrific news. Through adversity comes strength!:clap:

jyboc
02-18-2015, 04:47 PM
I know we're all happy but honestly I have to wonder why? I have always seen potential, but with no consistency or marked improvement in understandinding GU's system is it really potential? I wonder where the coaches really stand? A scholarship taken by someone who never plays and is obviously not earning his way into a players role. It seems like most have moved on. So I would bet they will look to fill his playing spot by another yet again next year. Obviously just my opinion though.

CDC84
02-18-2015, 05:24 PM
I know we're all happy but honestly I have to wonder why? I have always seen potential, but with no consistency or marked improvement in understandinding GU's system is it really potential? I wonder where the coaches really stand? A scholarship taken by someone who never plays and is obviously not earning his way into a players role. It seems like most have moved on. So I would bet they will look to fill his playing spot by another yet again next year. Obviously just my opinion though.

Gonzaga, with Angel included, only has 10 scholarship players next year:

1. Perkins

2. Melson

3. Alberts

4. Dranginis

5. Edwards

6. Wiltjer

7. Sabonis

8. Karnowski

9. McClellan

10. Nunez

hooter73
02-19-2015, 10:11 AM

Go back and watch the first 5 or so games of this year. He was working perfectly within himself and the system.... then the light bulb broke.

Zagdawg
02-19-2015, 10:59 AM
I think the light bulb broke when he thought it was his last year and he hit the panic button.

He seems to have calmed down some and started to work with the team again.