PDA

View Full Version : New Brackets 2/16 Zags still a #1

willandi
02-16-2015, 08:06 AM
http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/bracketology

75Zag
02-16-2015, 09:38 AM
Wisconsin getting lots of hype. New York Times this morning, and various commentators over the weekend. Will be interesting to see what happens.

Go Bulldogs!

seacatfan
02-16-2015, 10:01 AM
Surprised to still see Stanford in as an 11. They are slumping and rapidly playing themselves out of the Tournament. A little surprised to see UCLA in also as an 11. They are on the upswing, but overall their resume seems lacking to me. It appears it is a very soft bubble again this year, and any team that gets left out shouldn't have much room to complain.

ZagHouse
02-16-2015, 10:22 AM
I still have a hard time seeing us as a 1 seed even with the polls and bracketologies. I actually see the committee seeding us as a 3 for some weird reason. I don't know why, but that is what my gut is telling me. My gut usually says "eat more pizza" or "have another beer" and so it's usually spot on.

gonzagafan62
02-16-2015, 10:31 AM
Surprised to still see Stanford in as an 11. They are slumping and rapidly playing themselves out of the Tournament. A little surprised to see UCLA in also as an 11. They are on the upswing, but overall their resume seems lacking to me. It appears it is a very soft bubble again this year, and any team that gets left out shouldn't have much room to complain.
I'm not suprised. They were an 8 or 9 last week.... UCLA has been a bit of a hot streak here the last couple weeks ... Very soft bubble for sure

HenneZag
02-16-2015, 11:16 AM
#1 seed looks nice on paper, but I could careless if we're 1 or 2. Both an 8,9 or a 7,10 game in the 2nd round is going to be challenging. Just browsing through the brackets the past few weeks it is guaranteed the 2nd round games will be no joke (as we have experienced).

What I want is a favorable location the help give our boys a boost with a home town crowd. Still several games to play, especially with the Big 10 or ACC, so much can happen from now until March Madness. The Zags just have to take care of business and at worst we get a 2 seed and play in the NW.

btzag
02-16-2015, 11:16 AM
Weird that Lunardi still has us as a #1 when most board members here don't even believe we are deserving.

Committee will have real tough time if GU, zona, Wisconsin, Kansas and Virginia all finish out strong without any bad losses.

ZagLawGrad
02-16-2015, 11:23 AM
Put me in the camp for #2 or #3 seed. Zags don't need the #1 as a target on their backs. Better to have a seeding that leaves room for the proverbial chip on the shoulder.

Besides, there is no easy way to go deep. Zags proved it in SLC.

Zagger
02-16-2015, 11:34 AM
Weird that Lunardi still has us as a #1 when most board members here don't even believe we are deserving.....Committee will have real tough time if GU, zona, Wisconsin, Kansas and Virginia all finish out strong without any bad losses.
That's a big IF in that I'd put money on one or more teams having a loss before selection Sunday - maybe not a "bad" loss but any loss will affect seeding compared to others with no more losses. In college basketball surprises are a given. The conference seasons are far from over. Of the five my most non-Koolaid induced gut feeling says GU has the highest chance of winning out followed by Virginia. I'll stick my neck out along with my gut and say the rest all lose at least one more game.

zagmantis2001
02-16-2015, 11:59 AM
That's a big IF in that I'd put money on one or more teams having a loss before selection Sunday - maybe not a "bad" loss but any loss will affect seeding compared to others with no more losses. In college basketball surprises are a given. The conference seasons are far from over. Of the five my most non-Koolaid induced gut feeling says GU has the highest chance of winning out followed by Virginia. I'll stick my neck out along with my gut and say the rest all lose at least one more game.

Lunardi is generally spot on with the teams that make it into the tournament. Less so regarding the actual seeds that they get. Seems to me that the powers that be generally stick someone in a #1 or #2 spot because some of the conference tournaments end literally right before the selection show. Duke benefits from this most of the time. The WCC tournament is fairly early. I can see GU getting a #2 very easily-and its nothing to sneeze at.

23dpg
02-16-2015, 01:24 PM
Here is the breakdown of all the brackets. Two of them have the Zags as a 3 seed.

http://bracketmatrix.com

And for the umpteenth time. The only number I care about is the 8/9 on the S-curve.

Zagger
02-16-2015, 02:57 PM
http://insider.espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/12333203/kentucky-remains-no-1-overall-seed-college-basketball
At the above link Lunardi has the following to say. I think this info was put up this afternoon. Sorry if I posted this stuff twice :)

• Gonzaga

The Bulldogs have an even better profile than undefeated Wichita State from a similar point last season. Unless they lose a second time, or appear suddenly vulnerable in some way, I'm inclined to accord the Zags a similar benefit of the doubt with respect to seeding. It doesn't hurt that Gonzaga's nonconference strength of schedule -- which is a much fairer point of comparison than the tired "they play in a bad league" argument -- surpasses every projected No. 2 seed except Kansas (where Bill Self's annual scheduling death wish has again been granted).

Spike94
02-16-2015, 06:33 PM
As has been said numerous times before, but I will concur with, I really think there are about 6 teams for 3 spots. A 2 is fine with me as long as we are not in Kentucky's bracket.

Zagger
02-16-2015, 07:14 PM
Kansas just lost by 1 to West Virginia.

ZagsGoZags
02-16-2015, 07:43 PM
Here are the rankings of all the teams we have played this season, I am copying it from a dying thread,
and it isn't our fault when Few signed on to play UCLA, SMU, Memphis, St. Johns and others, that they would be having down years (well, possibly except for SMU because they are tied for first in their conference):

In the Basketball Power Index, BPI none of our friends or foes are close to us except AZ -we beat 5 out of 6 in top 50

5 AZ
25 Georgia
28 SMU
31 BYU
42 St. Johns
50 UCLA

55 St. Mary's
94 Memphis
117 Pepperdine
119 San Diego
121 Portland
148 San Francisco
155 Cal Poly
163 St. Joseph's
181 WSU
192 Sac. St.
203 Santa Clara
222 Texas Southern
229 Loyola Marymount
254 Pacific gee - Pacific is better than somebody else we beat (besides Thomson Rivers)
280 SE Louisianna

willandi
02-16-2015, 07:53 PM
Here are the rankings of all the teams we have played this season, I am copying it from a dying thread,
and it isn't our fault when Few signed on to play UCLA, SMU, Memphis, St. Johns and others, that they would be having down years (well, possibly except for SMU):

In the Basketball Power Index, BPI none of our friends or foes are close to us except AZ -we beat 5 out of 6 in top 50

5 AZ
25 Georgia
28 SMU
31 BYU
42 St. Johns
50 UCLA

55 St. Mary's
94 Memphis
117 Pepperdine
119 San Diego
121 Portland
148 San Francisco
155 Cal Poly
163 St. Joseph's
181 WSU
192 Sac. St.
203 Santa Clara
222 Texas Southern
229 Loyola Marymount
254 Pacific gee - Pacific is better than somebody else we beat (besides Thomson Rivers)
280 SE Louisianna

6 top 50 with 1 more (at least) against BYU. SMC at 55 will see their RPI go up by playing the Zags again. Don't know if they'll make top 50, bu we can hope.