All Times PST

Illini @ Wisc CBS 10 am
St. Joes @ Fordham NBCSN 11:30 am
AZ St @ UW - PAC12 - 2:30 pm
Stanford @ Colorado FxSports1 - 1:00pm
AZ @ WSU - FoxSports 1 - 3:30 pm
Minn @ Indiana BTN - 4:30 pm
Cal @ Utah ESPNU - 5:30pm

Selection Sunday is a month away. . .where did the season go !?!

gonzagafan62
02-15-2015, 09:50 AM
Go st joes

gonzagafan62
02-15-2015, 10:09 AM
Thanks for the recap Reno. Seems to be a lot of haters/doubters. Good

RenoZag
02-15-2015, 10:11 AM
Thanks for the recap Reno. Seems to be a lot of haters/doubters. Good

There always are. . .I threw that recap out as a separate thread, '62.

Beautiful warm sunny day here in Sparks. There's a Weber in my future and one of my best buds is coming over later for beers and BBQ. I love three day weekends !

Cheers !

gonzagafan62
02-15-2015, 10:13 AM
There always are. . .I threw that recap out as a separate thread, '62.

Beautiful warm sunny day here in Sparks. There's a Weber in my fyture and one of my best buds is coming over later for beers and BBQ. I love three day weekends !

Cheers !

I got it now Reno. Haha. And it might be a tree day weekend here if we get the snow they are calling for here in my neck if the woods. We aren't closed for presidents day

jayray
02-15-2015, 10:13 AM
Davis: I'm an AP voter and I had the Zags at # 5 last week and I will not have them any higher than # 5 the rest of the year. Do I think they will get a number one seed ? If they run the table and finish with just the loss to Arizona, yes I think they will get a number one seed.

Gottleib: They question asked (by Gumbel) was whether the Zags would deserve a number one seed, not would they get a number one seed. No they don't. They only have a few wins against NCAA tourney teams, the best being the win against SMU. UCLA, Georgia are borderline NCAA tourney teams. I don't think the Zags deserve a # 1 seed. Gottleib then cited Kansas' record, strength of schedule, etc. He said Duke was more deserving of a # 1 seed than Gonzaga.

Gottleib has never been a big Zag fan but he is probably right. It isn't the Zags fault their competition this year didn't live up to the expectations, it is what it is. He did say he still thought they were a possible final four team.

RenoZag
02-15-2015, 10:58 AM
Gottleib has never been a big Zag fan but he is probably right. It isn't the Zags fault their competition this year didn't live up to the expectations, it is what it is. He did say he still thought they were a possible final four team.

Yes he did, Jayray. I don't think Doug G is a hater; I think he has been pretty complimentary of Coach Few and Gonzaga over the years. Broadcasters and print journalists love to root for "stories". Calipari vs. Pitino. Izzo vs. Matta, etc. When the Shockers knocked off GU, the story of the underdog Shockers beating the #1 seed trumped all.

As a diehard GU fan, I am hoping this year will be Gonzaga and Coach Few's chance to write the next great chapter in GU post-season basketball.

seacatfan
02-15-2015, 01:16 PM
St. Joe's lost.

A couple bubble watch games--Iowa trailing Northwestern by 5 late in OT. Stanford down 6 at Colorado, early 2nd half.

sittingon50
02-15-2015, 01:27 PM
St. Joe's lost.

A couple bubble watch games--Iowa trailing Northwestern by 5 late in OT. Stanford down 6 at Colorado, early 2nd half.

St. Joe's loses by 14 to 7-16 Fordham! The Hawk may never die, but he's gotta' at least be on life support.

TheZagPhish
02-15-2015, 01:48 PM
The Hawk may never die, but he's gotta' at least be on life support.

Combined with the never-ending flapping, that paints quite a picture!

DixieZag
02-15-2015, 02:07 PM
Stanford going to get beat by the Buffs.

Bad loss.

23dpg
02-15-2015, 03:29 PM
Question: what does the Arizona-WSU game at the half have in common with Eisenhower's inauguration?

Answer: 1953.

Also, UW loses at home to ASU by 10. That's 7 straight loses for those gritty, well-coached Huskies.

TacomaZAG
02-15-2015, 04:47 PM
Also, UW loses at home to ASU by 10. That's 7 straight loses for those gritty, well-coached Huskies.

Another Craptastic season for Romar and the Dawgs. Romar seems to do less with more every year. Look at the number of guys UW puts into the NBA, and Romar can't even get them into the Dance.

Got to be some whispers on Montlake..................

Maybe we should cancel the resumption of our series with the Fuskies, don't think our RPI can take the hit of the annual beatdown we put on them.

Go ZAGS

seacatfan
02-15-2015, 05:02 PM
Another Craptastic season for Romar and the Dawgs. Romar seems to do less with more every year. Look at the number of guys UW puts into the NBA, and Romar can't even get them into the Dance.

Got to be some whispers on Montlake..................

Maybe we should cancel the resumption of our series with the Fuskies, don't think our RPI can take the hit of the annual beatdown we put on them.

Go ZAGS

That REALLY doesn't apply this year. Look at their roster and tell me how many future NBA players you see. With injuries and dismissals, they have ONE legit big man currently. Not gonna win many games with no size or depth.

23dpg
02-15-2015, 05:40 PM
That REALLY doesn't apply this year. Look at their roster and tell me how many future NBA players you see. With injuries and dismissals, they have ONE legit big man currently. Not gonna win many games with no size or depth.

I'll give Romar a semi pass this year.
It's true that their best big got kicked off the team. But it's also true that they were so desperate for a big that they were taking a guy who couldn't stay on the team at Fresno State. I think the skinny forward is hurt though, Jarreau?

I do think that Williams-Goss is an NBA player. At least I thought that at the start of the year.
It's just amazing to me that over the years he has had talent and done little with it. As I stated elsewhere, Wilson from Pepperdine would be scary in that city.

MTZag03
02-15-2015, 05:40 PM

I guess that might say something about Few and Romar and recruiting.

seacatfan
02-15-2015, 06:02 PM
I'll give Romar a semi pass this year.
It's true that their best big got kicked off the team. But it's also true that they were so desperate for a big that they were taking a guy who couldn't stay on the team at Fresno State. I think the skinny forward is hurt though, Jarreau?

I do think that Williams-Goss is an NBA player. At least I thought that at the start of the year.
It's just amazing to me that over the years he has had talent and done little with it. As I stated elsewhere, Wilson from Pepperdine would be scary in that city.

He's definitely underachieved at times. The team with Wroten and Ross lost all their OOC games against good opponents and didn't even make the Tourney. The teams with N. Robinson, B. Roy, Conroy, Bobby Jones, Tre Simmons etc. REALLY should've gotten further than a Sweet 16. But careful about being too critical of a coach who has never advanced beyond the Sweet 16 because...you know.

He's actually overachieved at times as well, finishing at or near the top of the Pac 12 without bluechip recruits or heralded players some years.

It's also ridiculous to say he never develops his players. I don't remember ANYONE predicting sub 5-10 combo guards Nate Robinson and Isaiah Thomas would end up in the NBA, let alone leave after their Jr. year of college and go on to be very productive pro players. Guys like Roy and Quincy Pondexter were raw talents, but much better when they left UW than when they arrived. Romar has gotten some decent mileage out of undersized bigs like Mike Jensen and Jamaal Williams. And guys like Bobby Jones and Justin Holiday were recruited by nobody else and developed into solid players for the Huskies. Romar doesn't excel at X's and O's, but he's nowhere near as bad of a coach as most on this board think he is. UW was TERRIBLE when he took over and he turned them around within a couple years, he did a heck of a job there at the beginning of his tenure.

edited to add--I realized 23 didn't say Romar never develops his players, but that is a frequent criticism on this board.

seacatfan
02-15-2015, 06:04 PM
Yeah Williams-Goss is probably the only Husky with a chance to make the NBA. The big man that got booted certainly was a pro prospect.

Jarreau is out injured. Kemp, Jr. is the only big left. They have some tall skinny Euro guy that transferred from Central Florida or something, but he's not a contributor at all.

maynard g krebs
02-15-2015, 06:32 PM

I take joy in UW's losing streak. But the question is, has Wilson done more than Lynn Nance, Bob Bender, or Andy Russo when UW hired them?

What Romar did initially is play uptempo basketball and get a lot of the best Seattle players to stay home instead of going to Arizona or Kansas or Louisville because he offered them a chance to showcase their skills and make the NBA. And a lot of the kids seem to like him.

Pepp plays slow, controlled halfcourt basketball. Not gonna be appealing to the next Roy or Robinson unless he changed his style.

seacatfan
02-15-2015, 06:35 PM
Utah pulls away from Cal in the 2nd half, remains tied with Arizona atop the Pac 12 standings. Big showdown between those 2 in Salt Lake City coming up in a couple weeks. Could decide the regular season champion, if neither team hiccups before then.

seacatfan
02-15-2015, 06:48 PM
But the question is, has Wilson done more than Lynn Nance, Bob Bender, or Andy Russo when UW hired them?

Interestingly, Romar coached at Pepperdine prior to UW (w/ St. Louis inbetween). He was 42-44 in 3 years, but year 1 was really bad (6-21), a pair of winning seasons after that.

Wilson is 40-63 nearing the completion of his 3rd full season, with no winning records. I had no idea, he was the interim head coach at Pepperdine during the 95-96 season and went 3-10.

Ernie Kent went 90-80 in 6 season at St. Mary's. Only 2 seasons with a winning record, best year was 23-8 with an NCAA Tourney appearance.

Wilson seems to have Pepperdine going in the right direction, but it's been a slow rebuilding job. Thus far his resume doesn't really suggest he's ready to move up to a more high profile job.

I don't even remember where Nance, Russo or Bender came from, but they didn't do much at UW. Although Bender did get to the Tourney a couple times and even had a Sweet 16.

23dpg
02-15-2015, 06:56 PM
Pepperdine had less than nothing when Wilson took over so I am in awe of what he has done. But it's also true that he's not ready for the UW job.
Romar is a good man and had quite a bit of success at UW. But he's in a results oriented business get paid huge money. Four straight years without a tourney appearance in a 68 team field just isn't good enough anymore.

gonzagafan62
02-15-2015, 07:46 PM
Pepperdine had less than nothing when Wilson took over so I am in awe of what he has done. But it's also true that he's not ready for the UW job.
Romar is a good man and had quite a bit of success at UW. But he's in a results oriented business get paid huge money. Four straight years without a tourney appearance in a 68 team field just isn't good enough anymore.

Exactly. Especially in the pac12