PDA

View Full Version : Gonzaga vs Loyola Marymount...post game discussion

Reborn
02-12-2015, 07:36 PM
How many games have we seen like this one. Blow 'em out the first half and coast the second. Zags win 80-51, however the Zags held LMU to 15 first half points. Boy was that pretty defense too. I thought it was the best defense of the year. LMU made some nice three's the second half. Zags did an excellent defending Mornar to five points (1-6 shooting) and Okanji (1-4) to 6. Wiltjer got another double-double tonight with 21 points and 10 boards. Nice game. He was 4-7 from behind the arc, and Pangos was 3-7. Pretty good three-point shooting by those two. Gary Bell continues to be off, and now he's joined by Melson, they were a combined 0-5 from behind the arc. There free-throw shooting was also really bad, shooting 57% from the foul line.

I thought Wiltjer played great once again. and Pangos had another very good game with 8 assists and 3 made three- pointers. Pangos' passing was beautiful to watch tonight. Once again I thought the WCC reffing was horrible, but what's new. On to Pepperdine which will be a much better game.

Go Zags!!!
One game at a time!

DixieZag
02-12-2015, 07:44 PM
Great defense in the first half. Hard to know how great given the opponent, but the commitment to defense was there. Some troubling turnovers even in the first half on entry passes. And, a little shaky with the press, again.

Really hard to take much away from the game other than that. When a team gets out to a 22-1 lead, it's sort of a throwaway after that.

Section 116
02-12-2015, 07:47 PM
Hudson and Santangelo noted the Zags need something to work on tomorrow and into next week and the area needing work is the free throw line where the Zags shot a miserable 20-35 which works out to 57%!

seacatfan
02-12-2015, 07:50 PM
Hudson and Santangelo noted the Zags need something to work on tomorrow and into next week and the area needing work is the free throw line where the Zags shot a miserable 20-35 which works out to 57%!

FT shooting and press break. They haven't handled pressure very well for what, 4 straight games? If they've been "working on it," not seeing the results so far.

gonzagafan62
02-12-2015, 07:50 PM
I enjoyed every second of the game besides the injury scares.

Reborn
02-12-2015, 07:52 PM
I thought they handled the press just fine, accept one time I think. I saw a great deal of improvement in their press breaker. They were passing instead of dribbling.

Go Zags!!!

seacatfan
02-12-2015, 07:58 PM
I thought they handled the press just fine, accept one time I think. I saw a great deal of improvement in their press breaker. They were passing instead of dribbling.

Go Zags!!!

I could be wrong. I thought they still struggled somewhat with it.

MickMick
02-12-2015, 07:58 PM
If you were getting sleepy watching the second half, imagine how the players feel.

The biggest excitement of the second half was watching energetic bench players getting a rare opportunity to show their stuff.

zagfan24
02-12-2015, 08:06 PM
Stifling defense the first 12-15 minutes...very fun to watch. Kevin Pangos has really improved defensively in his time at GU. The whole group did a nice job of closing out hard on shooters without overcommitting or jumping at pump fakes.

Good to see a full "2nd unit" in the second half playing together. I thought McClellan continued to show flashes of true point guard ability, especially his no-look pass to Sabonis. I thought Angel Nunez played far more within his game which was also a plus.

The ft shooting and occasional tendency to make high-risk, low reward passes are obviously things that will be addressed moving forward. I am more confident about the Zags fixing the latter.

PNW Zagfan
02-12-2015, 08:44 PM
What precipitated the technical on GB? Was there, saw Gary react, but wasn't sure what the foul was by Payne or if Payne said or did anything else.

U Zig, I Zag
02-12-2015, 08:51 PM
What precipitated the technical on GB? Was there, saw Gary react, but wasn't sure what the foul was by Payne or if Payne said or did anything else.

Payne sort of pulled Gary down right before. Gary came up and they bumped. Didn't seem like a deal, but Gary was chasing Payne around so much all game Payne's hairline reacted and moved back another inch. I think Payne was tired of it.

Watching the SCU USF game. The kid that pushed Kevin over and got the tech for USF has done *almost* that twice tonight. What he does is wait until a player is a bit off balanced, or coming down from a rebound and RIGHT before they land he wails them with both hands. No calls tonight, but guys have gone flying. Not regular boxing out. It's something he has picked up and perfected. Sort of a jackass move.

Hoopaholic
02-12-2015, 08:54 PM

intentionally pushed Bell from behind on a rebound incident which pissed Bell off, Bell and Payne both got up and gary elbowed him (not whole lot of contact but did send the message he did not appreciate the push from behind)

Robzagnut
02-12-2015, 08:56 PM

GB turned his head as a LMU player drove into the lane. Payne took the opportunity to bowl him over, completely knocked GB onto the floor. GB got up and gave him a push, sort of like saying, "Dude, what are you doing? That was unnecessary." TWEET!

PNW Zagfan
02-12-2015, 08:59 PM
Thanks, figured there was something out of the ordinary.

MTZag03
02-12-2015, 09:08 PM
Anyone else just about lose it seeing Karno land awkwardly and hit the deck on that hard foul? I would not at all be surprised by a mild knee sprain the way his left knee looked on impact. Thank goodness he was okay. It felt like this special season was gone for about twenty seconds when he stayed down.

Zagdawg
02-12-2015, 09:12 PM
Good to see Sacre in the house supporting the Zags.

PNW Zagfan
02-12-2015, 09:31 PM
Anyone else just about lose it seeing Karno land awkwardly and hit the deck on that hard foul? I would not at all be surprised by a mild knee sprain the way his left knee looked on impact. Thank goodness he was okay. It felt like this special season was gone for about twenty seconds when he stayed down.

Heart definently skipped a beat or two, was sitting pretty close and he went down hard. Hope he is doing well.

Mantua
02-12-2015, 09:42 PM
Tonight's score was what I wanted to see in the two previous games. The play was ok. It's hard to look sharp against LMU.
It's not much fun to watch a game feeling sympathy for the opponent.

ZagsGoZags
02-12-2015, 10:34 PM
Can't say enough about Pangos
the captain of our ship
especially when the team is going astray, he comes in and re-orients everything back
If Josh Perkins can be 2/3 the overall leader, I will be happy

Jakester425
02-13-2015, 07:12 AM

I heard on the radio this morning that we are a half of a point away from having the best shooting percentage in NCAA history...tried to find something online to support it but no luck. Incredibly awesome if true.

SwainZag
02-13-2015, 07:15 AM
Tonight's score was what I wanted to see in the two previous games. The play was ok. It's hard to look sharp against LMU.
It's not much fun to watch a game feeling sympathy for the opponent.

I hate saying this, but I really hope the fanbase doesn't get this attitude. Expecting 30 point conference road wins shouldn't ever be a thing IMO. The first half is some of the best basketball we have seen out of this team on both sides of the ball all season and the "play was ok"? Sure they struggled at the line and 11 turnovers might be a little bit much but damn....is this team putting the bar too high to reach some of the expectations out there?

gonzagafan62
02-13-2015, 07:20 AM
I hate saying this, but I really hope the fanbase doesn't get this attitude. Expecting 30 point conference road wins shouldn't ever be a thing IMO. The first half is some of the best basketball we have seen out of this team on both sides of the ball all season and the "play was ok"? Sure they struggled at the line and 11 turnovers might be a little bit much but damn....is this team putting the bar too high to reach some of the expectations out there?

Exactly. Its hard to stay focused the entire game, when you start off something ridiculous like 27-4 or whatever it was.

HillBillyZag
02-13-2015, 08:26 AM
At times like last nights first half it's sort of like shooting fish in a barrel.

sittingon50
02-13-2015, 10:56 AM

Know what you're saying swain, but I honestly wouldn't mind another beatdown @ SMC next week!

ZaGranny
02-15-2015, 04:28 PM
I have not seen this anywhere else. Does anyone know whay Connor Griffin did not suit up for Thursday's game.

ZaGranny

gonzagafan62
02-15-2015, 04:40 PM
I have not seen this anywhere else. Does anyone know whay Connor Griffin did not suit up for Thursday's game.

ZaGranny

ZaGranny I have read here only one time so don't quote me .... But from my memory Connor was injured.