PDA

View Full Version : Gonzaga basketball vs Boise State football

TimberZag
02-11-2015, 11:02 PM
http://www.sportsonearth.com/article/108880402/gonzaga-basketball-boise-state-football-sustained-success-parallels

Zagger
02-12-2015, 01:49 AM
http://www.sportsonearth.com/article/108880402/gonzaga-basketball-boise-state-football-sustained-success-parallels
Great read! Love the NW and this is just more icing on the cake! Nice find! Thanks for posting :)

gonzagafan62
02-12-2015, 06:10 AM
I loved this article. I have always had a soft spot for Boise State and it was fun to see the comparisons. Great Article.

Reborn
02-12-2015, 06:27 AM
A great article to read on Game Day. I,too, have really liked Boise-State. The comparison between the two teams is great. However, I disagree with the final vote going to Boise State over GU. I can see his point clearly, in terms of the important victories. But my guess is that Gonzaga is more loved by sports fans in the USA and even internationally. Every place that I have ever traveled, and was wearing anything with Gonzaga on it, people stopped me to talk about Gonzaga. It really is something. And on the other side, I think that Gonzaga is more disrespected by many of the fans of those Major Six Conferences. I just feel that Gonzaga is in the National consciousness the Boise State, and that is because of how often sports analysts and announcers talk about Gonzaga University.

Go Zags!!!

seacatfan
02-12-2015, 12:03 PM
A great article to read on Game Day. I,too, have really liked Boise-State. The comparison between the two teams is great. However, I disagree with the final vote going to Boise State over GU. I can see his point clearly, in terms of the important victories. But my guess is that Gonzaga is more loved by sports fans in the USA and even internationally. Every place that I have ever traveled, and was wearing anything with Gonzaga on it, people stopped me to talk about Gonzaga. It really is something. And on the other side, I think that Gonzaga is more disrespected by many of the fans of those Major Six Conferences. I just feel that Gonzaga is in the National consciousness the Boise State, and that is because of how often sports analysts and announcers talk about Gonzaga University.

Go Zags!!!

I don't doubt that Gonzaga is more popular and globally recognized than Boise St. However I think BSU football has drawn every bit or more hate from the BCS centric fans than GU basketball has. Can't quantity that, but that's the feel I've gotten. I think BSU football was a greater threat to the status quo than GU basketball has been. And while it's apples and oranges, I definitely think BSU's multiple BCS bowl game victories significantly outshines GU's post season accomplishments w/ 1 Elite 8 and 0 Final 4's.

Reborn
02-12-2015, 12:06 PM
I don't doubt that Gonzaga is more popular and globally recognized than Boise St. However I think BSU football has drawn every bit or more hate from the BCS centric fans than GU basketball has. Can't quantity that, but that's the feel I've gotten. I think BSU football was a greater threat to the status quo than GU basketball has been. And while it's apples and oranges, I definitely think BSU's multiple BCS bowl game victories significantly outshines GU's post season accomplishments w/ 1 Elite 8 and 0 Final 4's.

I agree with you, and maybe that's what the article was about. I have been accused of not reading very well.

Go Zags!!!

spike_jr
02-12-2015, 12:24 PM
The greatest advantage that GU has over BSU is their ability to control their own destiny. GU only has to keep winning.... Win 6 in a row at the end of the season and you are crowned the national champion. The BCS conferences, the media, voters, computers, bowl promoters, etc can not prevent GU from winning the NC. BSU has to not only be "perfect" on the field for an entire season, they have to navigate through the political minefield that is college football to even get a shot at the NC and IMHO, the BCS conferences and their co-conspirators are just not going to ever let that happen.

Reborn
02-12-2015, 12:27 PM
You make a very good point, Spike_jr.

Go Zags!!!

seacatfan
02-12-2015, 12:50 PM
Ditto. 2 years in a row BSU's kicker pushed a would-be game winning FG wide late in a game late in the season that put the only blemish on their record. While actually making the BCS Championship Game was an uphill battle, it wasn't completely out of the realm of possibility. After those fateful missed FGs, a 1 loss BSU team was completely left out in the cold from the BCS Bowls and ended up in some crappy 3rd rate bowl game. Would roughly be the equivalent of missing a pair of FT's in one regular season game banishing GU to the CBI for the post season.

Reborn
02-12-2015, 01:13 PM
The more I am thinking, maybe the NCAA is really a monster. Thanks for your reporting and insight. Maybe we can blame the NCAA for us not making it past the Sweet 16 for so long now?

Go Zags!!!

maynard g krebs
02-12-2015, 01:17 PM
I liked Boise football until the deliberate helmet to helmet shot that took Masoli out of the game a few years ago. Fifteen yards and the guy kept playing. The guy kept running like 7-8 yards after the release of the ball and went straight to the head. Dirtiest play I have ever seen in football; far more clearly premeditated than what the Georgia kid did to Perkins. And it was fine with Peterson, who I dearly hope fails at UW like Hawkins, Koetter et al.

Other thing is Boise generally plays one good ooc game a year, when they have 3-4 nonconf dates available. They don't really schedule much better that St Mary's, who gets a lot of flack here, if you think about it. GU wins on scheduling overall as well.

And elite 8's don't really compare to Fiesta Bowls; you have to beat 3 teams, at least 2 of which are really good, v 1.

seacatfan
02-12-2015, 01:48 PM
I liked Boise football until the deliberate helmet to helmet shot that took Masoli out of the game a few years ago. Fifteen yards and the guy kept playing. The guy kept running like 7-8 yards after the release of the ball and went straight to the head. Dirtiest play I have ever seen in football; far more clearly premeditated than what the Georgia kid did to Perkins. And it was fine with Peterson, who I dearly hope fails at UW like Hawkins, Koetter et al.

Other thing is Boise generally plays one good ooc game a year, when they have 3-4 nonconf dates available. They don't really schedule much better that St Mary's, who gets a lot of flack here, if you think about it. GU wins on scheduling overall as well.

And elite 8's don't really compare to Fiesta Bowls; you have to beat 3 teams, at least 2 of which are really good, v 1.

Agree that it's really hard (impossible?) to compare post season accomplishments in bball vs. football, apples and oranges. Still think BSU has accomplished more.

As far as those OOC games and difficulty of opponents--if you think it's tough to get good teams to schedule GU, that pales in comparison to football. Nobody wants anything to do with the Broncos. It's easier to say they aren't good enough to compete with SEC, etc. teams than actually line up on the field and prove it. BCS teams have nothing to gain and everything to lose, most won't risk it.