• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • DZ
    Zag for Life
    • Sep 2007

Meehan: Zag v. Zag

Interesting Article from Meehan

The Seattle Seahawks have “Competition Wednesdays,” when the first-team offense tangles with the first-team defense. Gonzaga doesn’t have a catchy nickname for its Monday practices but the premise is similar.
    Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.
    Mark Twain.
  • TheZagPhish
    Zag for Life
    • Feb 2007

Good one.

I like this bit:

Gonzaga went 2-0 on last week’s trip to the Bay Area, but slipped one spot in the AP poll to No. 3.

“We played like we were literally the 100th best team in the country, our defense was like that,” Few said. “Just because they assign you that (ranking) it doesn’t mean you are that number unless you continue to play great basketball. We were just OK last week.”
    Just okay.
    Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right

Comment

• JPtheBeasta
      Zag for Life
      • Oct 2008

Originally posted by TheZagPhish View Post
      Good one.

I like this bit:

Just okay.
      Hopefully 'tis good motivation for these guys to keep sawing wood and getting better.

It says a lot about a team when you are not just talking about winning every game, but winning them well (by playing good defense, limitting turnovers, etc). This team has high aspirations. Competition Wednesdays confirms that for me. This March could be fun :]

Comment

• Mantua
        Zag for Life
        • Mar 2007

Originally posted by TheZagPhish View Post
        Good one.

I like this bit:

Just okay.

I'm glad that you posted this quote from Few. It's a good reality check. I wonder how much the rankings affect the team's edge. The '99 team didn't have the burden/distraction of all the hype and stayed hungry all year.

I guess I'm tired of reading the endless comments here and in all of the media about whether we deserve the ranking. The ranking is great for seeding and recruiting but doesn't have a thing to do with finishing the season well.
        Bonjour tristesse.

Comment

• cjm720
          Zag for Life
          • Nov 2007

Love the attitude by coaches and players. I can definitely sense that they sense this year's team has a huge window of opportunity!
          Go Zags!!!

Comment

• Reborn
            Zag for Life
            • Oct 2007

This is really a great read. You can't really find fault with Pete Carroll's philosophy. This is a good read for those fans who believe the WCC conference doesn't prepare the Zags for the NCAA. I have always believed that the reason we haven't made it to the final 4 yet is because of two things. We haven't had the players to do it, and simply, we bad luck has kept us from there a couple of times.

Go Zags!!!
            Go Zags!!! The Best Is Yet To Come!!!

Comment

• GoZags
              Super Moderator
              • Feb 2007

Originally posted by Mantua View Post
              I'm glad that you posted this quote from Few. It's a good reality check. I wonder how much the rankings affect the team's edge. The '99 team didn't have the burden/distraction of all the hype and stayed hungry all year.

I guess I'm tired of reading the endless comments here and in all of the media about whether we deserve the ranking. The ranking is great for seeding and recruiting but doesn't have a thing to do with finishing the season well.
              The '98/'99 may have "stayed hungry" all year ... but they sure had their ups and downs. A couple of 15 point losses (at Kansas and at Purdue) sandwiched around a nice win at Memphis to start the season. Tough road losses to Detroit Mercy and Texas Christian (2 days after a narrow, last second 1 point win at Texas Pan American). A 16 point blowout loss to USD and a tough loss at Pepperdine.

I really liked the way that team ended the season .... but it sure wasn't a Magic Carpet ride during the course of the season.
              sigpic
              “To be continued …”. Fr Tony Lehman, SJ
              ——-
              List of All Americans (1st Team Top 5) and Academic All Americans (1st Team Top 5) in the same season since '00:
              Shane Battier, Dan Dickau, Omeka Okafor, DJ Augustin, Kelly Olynyk, Nigel Williams-Goss, Corey Kispert.

Comment

• Mantua
                Zag for Life
                • Mar 2007

Originally posted by GoZags View Post
                The '98/'99 may have "stayed hungry" all year ... but they sure had their ups and downs. A couple of 15 point losses (at Kansas and at Purdue) sandwiched around a nice win at Memphis to start the season. Tough road losses to Detroit Mercy and Texas Christian (2 days after a narrow, last second 1 point win at Texas Pan American). A 16 point blowout loss to USD and a tough loss at Pepperdine.

I really liked the way that team ended the season .... but it sure wasn't a Magic Carpet ride during the course of the season.
                Yes, I attended every home game that season. The learning curve was phenomenal. They really struggled to improve.
                Bonjour tristesse.

Comment

Working...
                X