PDA

View Full Version : Six games to go, four of 'em at home

Reborn
02-09-2015, 02:49 PM
The Zags are finally heading down the back stretch toward home, and another conference championship. Once again they are hunting another undefeated season in conference play, just like their 2013 season. So far it's been another season fabulous season, with some old familiar faces (players) along with some new ones. Some say that it's the best Zag team of 'em all. We'll soon find out. The team has added guys like Wiltjer, Wesley, and McClellan who all transferred to Gonzaga from other basketball programs. And they've welcomed incoming Freshmen like Sabonis, Melson and Perkins. One thing is certain Kevin, Gary, Pk and Dranginis have been the solid foundation to this team. I have watched each game closely and have really loved how Kevin Pangos has led and directed this team. If anyone can lead this team to the Mountaintop, Kevin can.

Who would have guessed that the Zags, in just two short years, would be back at the top of NCAA Division I basketball. For years now I've tried to identify the Zags as an elite basketball program, only to be met with criticism and laughter for my use of that once hated term, "elite" to be the adjective that defined Gonzaga basketball. It wasn't long ago, and even aftewr '99. 2000, and 2001, it was a sin to use that term on this board in describing the Gonzaga's program. Even as many pundits used that term, I continued to get personal emails advising me to not use it. Those were the good 'ol days, of intense battles even here on this new forum, but certainly in the old one (or is it still being usede). Glad those days are gone.

But then came Kevin Pangos, Gary Bell, Eilias Harris, Mt Karnowski, Kyle Dranginis, and Kelly Olynyk, and 2013 happened. Yet, once more the Zags story ended in a huge disappointment like in '06. And so the story has come alive again this year. And Kevin et al are still around, along with a host of stars led by Kyle Wiljer. Wiltjer set a year, like Olynyk, and rigorously set out to change both his body and his game. He is not Kelly Olynyk, but they both really changed the way they played. And both became very talented basketball players through their hard work. Each week I could hardly wait to see Kelly play, and I have that same feeling this year with Kyle. And Kevin has always been my favorite player, and I have always had the deepest respect for Gary Bell. These guys are now seniors. And I feel that they are ready to run right up that mountain.

The season is soon ending, so let's enjoy this special team as they run down home stretch. Let's cheer them on with all we got. No holding back now. Four out of six at home, so Zag fans enjoy 'em. Some will surely be moving on next year to what lies ahead of them. They have given us fans of GU so much, and we'll never ever be able to repay them. All we can do is give them our hearts and cheer 'em on. We can pray, buy the gear, and wear it with pride on game day. I know the fans in the Kennel will be there this week and then again to close the season in three weeks. Oh God what a great season it is. Joy abounds. Is it safe now to say Gonzaga is an elite program?

Go Zags!!!
One game at a time!

gonzagafan62
02-09-2015, 02:58 PM
I just wanna say a few things and I agree with your sentiments reborn. Gonzaga has been an elite program for over a decade. Making the NCAA tournament 16 going on 17 years regardless of conference means elite. 6 straight years round of 32. Again, elite. We have made all the small baby steps on making and accomplishing the feat of being an elite program. Now it's time to go finish the deal. Final four is the only thing that will quiet up the haters. And even then it won't calm them down long. Then they will say "well when are you going to make another one" or if few retires with only 1 final four they will say "few only got one final four????" List goes on. Don't listen to the noise. Love and enjoy every season. A final four is great but in the scheme of things the haters will just grow no matter what happens to our program. Sit down, watch the games... Enjoy the ride.... No matter what. There is no dissapoinment. We are G-U

Zag_Dad
02-09-2015, 03:01 PM
Ahh, what a journey it has been. Pangos and Bell have been part of the greatest era GU basketball has experienced in the regular season. Here's to hoping they write the next chapter in their story as being the first to lead our Zags to a FF.

Love how it is all lining up... a placement as a #1 or #2 seed in Seattle with all our fans packing Key Arena to make it the west side Kennel.

What a great ride its' been... I BELIEVE it will be OUR year to dance... our year to make the FINAL FOUR.

GO ZAGS!

DixieZag
02-09-2015, 03:15 PM
I seriously doubt there will be a dry eye in the house on Senior day. They should just march out to center court and have their jerseys sent up on that day.

23dpg
02-09-2015, 03:18 PM
I seriously doubt there will be a dry eye in the house on Senior day. They should just march out to center court and have their jerseys sent up on that day.

I'm curious how they honor Wesley. But I'm even more curious about Nunez with his status still up in the air.

gonzagafan62
02-09-2015, 03:19 PM

Pangos bell Wesley omg such a special day. I'll be wiping my eyes that whole game

seasontixholder
02-09-2015, 03:44 PM
I sorta pity all of those student-athletes on power conference rosters being left out of the Big Dance and not being in Spokaloo this year. The team is a brotherhood, the weather is epic, and we're coming into the meat of the WCC schedule where anything can happen. Can't wait for Thursday.

hondo
02-09-2015, 05:38 PM
Yes the weather here in Spokane has been very much like the weather in Paris.

seacatfan
02-09-2015, 05:42 PM
I heard it was 80 degrees today in LA.

Ikancagin
02-10-2015, 01:53 PM
Its colder in Paris today

Zagceo
02-10-2015, 01:57 PM

Senior day is …….BYU?

gonzagafan62
02-10-2015, 02:19 PM
Senior day is …….BYU?

Yes

seasontixholder
02-10-2015, 03:26 PM
I heard it was 80 degrees today in LA.
So what? Like UCLA is eating the country alive?

Lexington has about the same weather as Spokane today. Besides bourbon, basketball, and the best racehorses, what other advantage do they have?

gonzagafan62
02-10-2015, 03:30 PM
So what? Like UCLA is eating the country alive?

Lexington has about the same weather as Spokane today. Besides bourbon, basketball, and the best racehorses, what other advantage do they have?

Te one time I went to Lexington (late October 2009) they held the world equestrian games (again horse though) but nothing else. There really wasn't a whole lot there could tell where caliparis house was and tubby smiths old house I went and visited the various sports venues but yeah it wasn't anything special, although I don't have any passion for uk athletics, so that might be why lol

seasontixholder
02-10-2015, 03:36 PM
Bah, Lexington is half the size of Spokane and doesn't even have deSha's (Pitino's hangout) anymore. Sure, it had an impressive wall of stateside bourbons, but the food didn't have anything on Clinkerdaggers ...

DixieZag
02-10-2015, 03:36 PM
Te one time I went to Lexington (late October 2009) they held the world equestrian games (again horse though) but nothing else. There really wasn't a whole lot there could tell where caliparis house was and tubby smiths old house I went and visited the various sports venues but yeah it wasn't anything special, although I don't have any passion for uk athletics, so that might be why lol

I find the college towns in the south to be pretty cool.

Athens
Tuscaloosa
Lexington
Knoxsville

Of course, I like college towns in the Midwest, too. And the west, and I guess pretty much everywhere.

gonzagafan62
02-10-2015, 03:40 PM

Athens
Tuscaloosa
Lexington
Knoxsville

Of course, I like college towns in the Midwest, too. And the west, and I guess pretty much everywhere.
I am a Tennessee football fan so I do love Knoxville. People there are great. Great city. Everything. Lexington is pretty beautiful. I love Missouris campus too. That's pretty neat. I guess it depends what flavor you are. I haven't been to the others you listed but I am sure they are beautiful in different ways. I am not saying it wasnt pretty in Lexington because it was. Just nothing to do there. A typical campus? Wish I got to visit rupp. That woulda been cool

seasontixholder
02-10-2015, 03:43 PM
OK, so Keeneland is going to host the Breeders' Cup this year, while Playfair is .... Big deal. :)

jazzdelmar
02-10-2015, 03:48 PM

Athens
Tuscaloosa
Lexington
Knoxsville

Dix, my faves are Missoula, Boulder, Madison, Tucson.

DixieZag
02-10-2015, 03:53 PM
Dix, my faves are Missoula, Boulder, Madison, Tucson.

Yeah, tough to beat Boulder. Eugene is close. Austin is very nice but a little big to be called a "college town." I've even heard Iowa City is awesome.

Zagnailler
02-10-2015, 05:05 PM
Along with the Lilac city, I go with South Bend, San Luis Obispo, and Santa Cruz.