PDA

View Full Version : Fox Sports -- Gonzaga is Built to Beat Kentucky

Zags_Fanatic
02-09-2015, 11:01 AM
Nice headlining piece on Fox Sports today:

http://www.foxsports.com/college-basketball/story/kentucky-wildcats-gonzaga-bulldogs-built-to-beat-uk-020915

rennis
02-09-2015, 11:19 AM
I agree with the premise of the piece - GU is built to battle the big teams from the big conferences. It's the small-ball teams from the small conferences that give GU the biggest mismatch problems. It's no surprise to me teams like SCU, Pepperdine, and USF have given GU fits on the road this year.

I just hope GU gets far enough in the tournament to prove itself against the big boys this year.

MDABE80
02-09-2015, 11:19 AM
VEry very nice article. Great find. Thanks for posting ZFanatic! I hope we get deep. We're being painted as a talented and big underdog. Few comments are great. We need to perform!

Zagceo
02-09-2015, 11:24 AM
Focus

“We hope we get everyone’s best shot,” he said. “At the end of the day we just want to get ready for March.”

Zagger
02-09-2015, 11:33 AM
Nice read. We know this and a few more are getting the message but .... until the Zags go deep in March we're stuck with LOTS of folks who would be quick to chant 'over-rated'. My feelings are that the Zags will not only have the depth to go deep this March but also the will, desire, passion and experience to play in a manner to go deep - and that includes Few too. Go Zags!

cjm720
02-09-2015, 11:39 AM
I wonder if Few could tactically point out to the senior leaders in Pangos and Bell that we lost the WCC title streak under their watch, but the story isn't over...let the ending chapter be a national title run.

We will go only go as far as these two, especially Pangos, take us.

rennis
02-09-2015, 12:28 PM
We will go only go as far as these two, especially Pangos, take us.

Add Wesley to that. Guards win NCAA tournament games and those three hold the outcome of the game in their hands every night.

seasontixholder
02-09-2015, 12:53 PM
First of all, the WCC is not really down in the dumps as the author opines.

Secondly, you will never be able to explain--to an outsider that has never seen a series of WCC road games--what Gonzaga faces. Sure, every ranked team in every conference get a good tussle on the road. But when bandboxes hosting the ONLY ranked team year after year after year after year get their chances ... it's just different.

Some the ESPN announcers get it. But no one else.

TheZagPhish
02-09-2015, 01:20 PM
I like how the fantasy Kentucky-Gonzaga game is percolating here and there as a thought experiment. It makes me wonder how many Kentuckians have steam coming out their ears reading articles like this one.

gonzagafan62
02-09-2015, 01:21 PM
I like how the fantasy Kentucky-Gonzaga game is percolating here and there as a thought experiment. It makes me wonder how many Kentuckians have steam coming out their ears reading articles like this one.

They hate us, cuz they aint us.

cjm720
02-09-2015, 01:22 PM
First of all, the WCC is not really down in the dumps as the author opines.

Secondly, you will never be able to explain--to an outsider that has never seen a series of WCC road games--what Gonzaga faces. Sure, every ranked team in every conference get a good tussle on the road. But when bandboxes hosting the ONLY ranked team year after year after year after year get their chances ... it's just different.

Where would each team here fall into place in the WCC:

TEAM CONF OVERALL
Tulsa 10-1 17-6
SMU 10-2 19-5
Cincinnati 8-3 17-6
Temple 8-3 17-7
Memphis 6-4 14-9
Connecticut 6-4 13-9
Tulane 4-7 13-10
East Carolina 3-7 10-13
UCF 2-9 9-13
Houston 1-9 9-13
South Florida 1-10 7-17

I'd suggest that 6 teams in a non-BCS conference would challenge us for the #1 spot this and most years. The same exercise could be done for most conferences (say top 10). This perception is why we get little respect. Personally, I think over time we could prove that our teams could compete with the listed teams and better BCS teams, but for the most part they're scared to play in our little gyms. But perception is reality all too often.

kitzbuel
02-09-2015, 01:50 PM
Would it be too much to make a WCC conference goal of getting all teams in the top 150 RPI? Half the conference is below 150. That does not help.

MickMick
02-09-2015, 01:53 PM
Zags win 1 out of 10. Zags lose by double digits 5 out of 10.

That is how I think it would play out. It isn't just about what UK has done in the SEC. They curb stomped some very good teams in preconference play.

cggonzaga
02-09-2015, 01:59 PM
I get what Kentucky did during their OOC schedule. However, I think that had more to do with teams being afraid of them and all the hype at the time. I'm sure those teams would like another shot at them now. I almost see Kentucky as some past GU teams in that they may have peaked too early.

Zagceo
02-09-2015, 02:06 PM
Would it be too much to make a WCC conference goal of getting all teams in the top 150 RPI? Half the conference is below 150. That does not help.

I remember reading a quote about the expectations of Gonzaga administrators at one time………….."just don't finish last in WCC"……

My guess ….this is also one of the reason you don't see as many coaches getting terminated because of bad results in WCC……….Expectations and priorities.

coolhandzag
02-09-2015, 02:10 PM
What to take on Kentucky? Do you think USF can pressure the ball? Think it through.

Zagger
02-09-2015, 02:38 PM
What to take on Kentucky? Do you think USF can pressure the ball? Think it through.

Kentucky is darn good. But, so are the Zags. Both coaches are darn good too. Beating Kentucky will take having a high FT% and getting UK out of position so Zag shots have the best chance of going in. I don't think we'll be able to out D Kentucky. So, we'll have to have a more effective offense + collect a few offensive rebounds. The Zags will have to control the ball well + have good court awareness. How well the Zags play in Las Vegas will speak volumes IMHO (neutral court and last games before NCAAs). The Zags have the tools - they'll need cohesiveness and concentration to play with as few mistakes as possible.

maynard g krebs
02-09-2015, 02:43 PM
"It's definitely different than what we've had in the past" said Gonzaga's coach........ "We can score at all 5 spots at any time."

My favorite point in the article. This was also true in '99.

Vanzagger
02-09-2015, 03:54 PM
Kentucky is darn good. But, so are the Zags. Both coaches are darn good too. Beating Kentucky will take having a high FT% and getting UK out of position so Zag shots have the best chance of going in. I don't think we'll be able to out D Kentucky. So, we'll have to have a more effective offense + collect a few offensive rebounds. The Zags will have to control the ball well + have good court awareness. How well the Zags play in Las Vegas will speak volumes IMHO (neutral court and last games before NCAAs). The Zags have the tools - they'll need cohesiveness and concentration to play with as few mistakes as possible.

well said

HillBillyZag
02-09-2015, 06:08 PM
The Harris Brothers havn't been dogged by Pangos & Bell, Wesley & Drano, Emac & Silas before. Our Guards will drive them nuts.

CDC84
02-09-2015, 06:27 PM
I'd like to wait for as long as possible to play them.

LongIslandZagFan
02-09-2015, 06:50 PM
Or... Kentucky doesn't it make it far enough to play the Zags. I would NOT be shocked if they went out S16 or E8 against a hot team from beyond the arc.

Zags11
02-09-2015, 09:04 PM
Liz i could see that too. Id love zags vs Kentucky for all the marbles and see what happens.

Rangerzag
02-09-2015, 09:57 PM

Other teams seem to understand perfectly well when it comes time to schedule home and home OOC series with those WCC "cupcakes".

DZ
02-10-2015, 02:51 AM
I'd like to wait for as long as possible to play them.

This.

The only reason I'm caught up in getting a 1 seed over a 2, the 1 seed is guaranteed that a trip to the final four doesn't go through Kentucky.

TravelinZag
02-10-2015, 02:55 AM

Several of the schools simply won't make the necessary commitment: facilities, coaches, recruiting, etc. necessary to reach that level. Could/should the WCC be that competitive? Absolutely. They don't want to. Shame, and unfortunate for the teams with that will.

Reborn
02-10-2015, 05:57 AM

That is how I think it would play out. It isn't just about what UK has done in the SEC. They curb stomped some very good teams in preconference play.

One reason that I believe that Kentucky played so well in OOC games is that they played a lot in the summer. They were traveling overseas and playing games, which got them way ahead of teams who were not playing at all. And this could be a reason that they may have peaked early, and is definitely the reason why teams are catching up to them. I don't think they will go undefeated. Someone's going to upset them.

Go Zags!!!

GrizZAG
02-10-2015, 06:23 AM
Early on I did not think we were in Kentucky's realm, that they were unbeatable. Having watched a few of their games I do believe Gonzaga very well could beat them. While they have size and quickness I'm amazed at the bonehead moves they make at times. Zags playing their A game take it. This Zag team digs down deep and just finds a way to prevail. Great habit to have.

23zagmd
02-10-2015, 06:51 AM
I just hope that we get the opportunity.....means we will be really deep in the tourney!!!!

zagzilla
02-10-2015, 07:41 AM
Nobody is built to beat Kentucky. Anything could happen if they have an off night and we were near-perfect but other than that, not likely.

The "one and done format" in the NCAA tourney actually works in favor of GU vs Kentucky because it only takes on bad night/good night to pull the upset. In a best of 7, we'd lose 4-1.

Not hating on the Zags just recognizing that this edition of UK is a team people will be talking about for years like the UNLV team mentioned in the OP. Worth noting that the 90-91 Rebs featured 5 future NBA players, were #1, undefeated in the regular season, anointed as prohibitive favorites in the dance and then were upset in the final four by Duke.

I see Duke as the team with the best chance to derail Kentucky this year. They also boast 9 burger boys and have a lethal offense. More likely to be able to guard the Kentucky thoroughbreds.

I hope we get the chance to play Kentucky because that would mean a deep run.

Go Zags,

ZZ

Zag_Dad
02-10-2015, 07:45 AM
Kentucky is clearly the most talented team in the country... but I have my doubts as to whether they will make it to the championship game. They are sooo young and also play in a weaker conference so are not as battle tested as some may believe. I just have a gut feeling that they will stumble in the tournament. They have had more close calls that GU has had this year and don't have the senior leadership that we have.

That's the beauty of March Madness. Every team has a shot... let's pray that it is our year!

GO ZAGS

JPtheBeasta
02-10-2015, 07:52 AM
... I see Duke as the team with the best chance to derail Kentucky this year. They also boast 9 burger boys and have a lethal offense. More likely to be able to guard the Kentucky thoroughbreds...

ZZ

I would be concerned about depth if I was a Duke fan, but that is not to say that you are wrong.

hooter73
02-10-2015, 08:14 AM
I too dont think KU makes it past the final four. It might be as simple as they are too young and going to be too full of themselves, although I think they are too well coached for that to be the case. It will be a Duke or other blue blood that wont be intimidated and will eventually knock them off.

No way we could guard them though. Maybe if we had a healthy Perkins this whole time, but pretty doubtful that we could stay with them on either end of the court.

Zagdawg
02-10-2015, 08:18 AM
I don't see Kansas making the final 4 either. ;)

gonzagafan62
02-10-2015, 08:24 AM

Burger boys don't matter in the tournament. Being highly ranked in the polls preseason or regular season don't matter. Nothing matter except what happens in a 40 minute game for as long as you're alive. Kansas and Duke are two of the most overrated teams in my opinion this season. Can they both go to the Final Four? Sure. I am wrong a lot, about as much as I am right, so I think the contrast really begins with the beginning of the season. While Kansas has had the overall toughest schedule, and have done more with that schedule than even Kentucky has, Kansas is such a young team, that just doesn't catch my eye. Duke is great, but can they get past the mid major? I don't know.

There will be some surprises as always, and I am sure one of these two teams will lose early. Not sure which, but one of them will. I think Kansas is due.

gonzagafan62
02-10-2015, 08:29 AM
Nobody is built to beat Kentucky.

Disagree. There are plenty of teams built to beat Kentucky. They just haven't done it yet. All it takes is one. Kentucky peaked earlier in the season. They are on the downfall right now. I hope they keep their perfect season going into the tourney.... If they do, they are doomed.

I see Duke as the team with the best chance to derail Kentucky this year. They also boast 9 burger boys and have a lethal offense. More likely to be able to guard the Kentucky thoroughbreds.

Number of burger boys is completely irrelevant. Their offense is great, but they just kicked off their team their best on the ball defender. They would stand no chance vs. Kentucky. Rasheed Sulimon (Sp?) was a bench player (after getting benched for a couple freshman I think)??? but the defense was great. Now they don't have NOT nearly as good of a defense. They don't have a chance.

hooter73
02-10-2015, 08:34 AM

LOL Im a genius.

Bogozags
02-10-2015, 02:10 PM
There are so many outstanding arguments for and against a GU vs UK game in either the EE or FF. Personally, I can't think of a team that can beat UK on a NEUTRAL court. They have six 6'9" and above players...there depth is just uncanny and all of them can JUMP unlike our big three. We at GU, think we have depth with three strong players 6'9" or taller but if one gets into foul trouble early in the first half, then we can experience a change on both sides of the ball. Sure, any team can be beaten BUT not this UK squad...yes they are playing LSU in the "Red Stick" this evening, so now after me going out on the limb so to speak, LSU will win...

As mentioned earlier in this thread, if GU plays them seven times on a neutral court, we might win a game...maybe. Entrance passes into the post would be tough...each of their starters can guard PK and DS inside making it so tough to even get decent looks from three point land.

They are really shot blockers, not like anything we have seen.

They are just scary good on defence and really simplistic on offence but I'm not saying GU isn't a rock solid team (especially when we make our FT's) but we just don't match up well.

I am hoping GU isn't a two-seed in UK's bracket or with ISU...I think we can play with just about any other team with a good chance of winning on the neutral courts in March/April.

GO ZAGS

PS: KU is a well balanced team that has played a really, really tough schedule and depending on the bracket, believe they could make the EE and with lots of luck and the right match-ups, the FF.

ValencyLovesZagsInAtlanta
02-10-2015, 02:59 PM
LSU vs. Kentucky...

Will Martin & Mickey produce. Will Quarterman deliver? Will Gray not commit TO's? Will Hornsby hit 3's? Should be fun!

Vanzagger
02-10-2015, 03:07 PM
No 5 star players in Superbowl this year. Leadership and Team Work still go a long way.

sittingon50
02-10-2015, 03:29 PM
There are so many outstanding arguments for and against a GU vs UK game in either the EE or FF. Personally, I can't think of a team that can beat UK on a NEUTRAL court. They have six 6'9" and above players...there depth is just uncanny and all of them can JUMP unlike our big three. We at GU, think we have depth with three strong players 6'9" or taller but if one gets into foul trouble early in the first half, then we can experience a change on both sides of the ball. Sure, any team can be beaten BUT not this UK squad...yes they are playing LSU in the "Red Stick" this evening, so now after me going out on the limb so to speak, LSU will win...

As mentioned earlier in this thread, if GU plays them seven times on a neutral court, we might win a game...maybe. Entrance passes into the post would be tough...each of their starters can guard PK and DS inside making it so tough to even get decent looks from three point land.

They are just scary good on defence and really simplistic on offence but I'm not saying GU isn't a rock solid team (especially when we make our FT's) but we just don't match up well.

I am hoping GU isn't a two-seed in UK's bracket or with ISU...I think we can play with just about any other team with a good chance of winning on the neutral courts in March/April.

GO ZAGS

PS: KU is a well balanced team that has played a really, really tough schedule and depending on the bracket, believe they could make the EE and with lots of luck and the right match-ups, the FF.

Bombs away, bogo ( & hope a good % go in).

SwainZag
02-11-2015, 12:28 AM

I will also point out that UK spent over 500K to organize a tournament against national teams down the Bahamas before the season started. How many times had experienced real games against tough opponents before the season even started? While they humiliated Kansas less than a week into the season, they have struggled with a handful of SEC teams since conference play. Winning 1 out 10 would say to me that they are some super team and the Zags would get lucky to be on the court with them and I completely disagree. They are good, but they aren't THAT good.

LongIslandZagFan
02-11-2015, 04:30 AM

GO ZAGS

I will say this... LSU is NOT that good of a team and they pushed Kentucky to the limit. They are a very good team, but they aren't unbeatable. I will re-iterate it again... I would not be shocked to see them lose in the tourney before the Final 4.

ValencyLovesZagsInAtlanta
02-11-2015, 07:14 AM
I will say this... LSU is NOT that good of a team and they pushed Kentucky to the limit. They are a very good team, but they aren't unbeatable. I will re-iterate it again... I would not be shocked to see them lose in the tourney before the Final 4.

I would like to see Northern Iowa get a shot at them in the regional semi finals if Northern Iowa gets a #5 seed. My guess is Kentucky would be seriously out coached and the team would sleep walk through the first half and then wake up to late. UNI could lose another game or 2 though so that could knock them to the 8 line creating an earlier match-up. What do ya think LIZF?

LongIslandZagFan
02-11-2015, 08:46 AM
I would like to see Northern Iowa get a shot at them in the regional semi finals if Northern Iowa gets a #5 seed. My guess is Kentucky would be seriously out coached and the team would sleep walk through the first half and then wake up to late. UNI could lose another game or 2 though so that could knock them to the 8 line creating an earlier match-up. What do ya think LIZF?

That is the exact kind of team they should be very afraid of.

mgadfly
02-11-2015, 08:48 AM
The formula for beating Kentucky is pretty simple. Last night they gave up 12 offensive rebounds and won by 2 points off the strength of their own 17 offensive rebounds. LSU made 3 shots from behind the arc. The team that knocks Kentucky out of the tournament or ends their win streak will (1) be aggressive on the offensive glass (Kentucky's only real statistical weakness), (2) limit offensive rebounds (you can't stop them on the glass, but you can do better than LSU did), and (3) get hot-hot-hot from 3 point range (shooting makes up for a lot of other weaknesses).

What teams fit that description?

GU: 30th in o-reb%; 12th in 3P% (bonus: 68th in d-reb%)
UV: 54th in o-reb%; 46th in 3P% (bonus: 6th in d-reb%)
DK: 18th in o-reb%; 45th in 3P% (bonus: 78th in d-reb%)
AZ: 111th in o-reb%; 89th in 3P% (bonus: 1st in d-reb%)
WI: 157th in o-reb%; 103rd in 3P% (bonus: 2nd in d-reb%)
UT: 169th in o-reb%; 8th in 3P% (bonus: 40th in d-reb%)

N. Iowa: 307th in o-reb%; 18th in 3P% (bonus: 48th in d-reb%) Effective Height: 225th

I've watched a few of Northern Iowa's games and I think they play good offense combined with nearly flawless defense (not Kentucky flawless, but for being 233rd in blocking shots, they have a top 20 defense that doesn't make mistakes). They can shoot the three and against the right teams could make a serious run in the NCAAs. However, Kentucky's kryptonite is offensive rebounding and Northern Iowa may be the worst team in the entire tournament in that category.

I think GU is actually the most difficult match up for Kentucky. I'm not sold that GU is better than Virginia, Arizona, Duke or Utah head to head. Those would be fantastic seven game series, but I think GU takes 2 in seven game series against Kentucky which is better than any other team in America this season.

LongIslandZagFan
02-11-2015, 08:59 AM
The formula for beating Kentucky is pretty simple. Last night they gave up 12 offensive rebounds and won by 2 points off the strength of their own 17 offensive rebounds. LSU made 3 shots from behind the arc. The team that knocks Kentucky out of the tournament or ends their win streak will (1) be aggressive on the offensive glass (Kentucky's only real statistical weakness), (2) limit offensive rebounds (you can't stop them on the glass, but you can do better than LSU did), and (3) get hot-hot-hot from 3 point range (shooting makes up for a lot of other weaknesses).

What teams fit that description?

GU: 30th in o-reb%; 12th in 3P% (bonus: 68th in d-reb%)
UV: 54th in o-reb%; 46th in 3P% (bonus: 6th in d-reb%)
DK: 18th in o-reb%; 45th in 3P% (bonus: 78th in d-reb%)
AZ: 111th in o-reb%; 89th in 3P% (bonus: 1st in d-reb%)
WI: 157th in o-reb%; 103rd in 3P% (bonus: 2nd in d-reb%)
UT: 169th in o-reb%; 8th in 3P% (bonus: 40th in d-reb%)

N. Iowa: 307th in o-reb%; 18th in 3P% (bonus: 48th in d-reb%) Effective Height: 225th

I've watched a few of Northern Iowa's games and I think they play good offense combined with nearly flawless defense (not Kentucky flawless, but for being 233rd in blocking shots, they have a top 20 defense that doesn't make mistakes). They can shoot the three and against the right teams could make a serious run in the NCAAs. However, Kentucky's kryptonite is offensive rebounding and Northern Iowa may be the worst team in the entire tournament in that category.

I think GU is actually the most difficult match up for Kentucky. I'm not sold that GU is better than Virginia, Arizona, Duke or Utah head to head. Those would be fantastic seven game series, but I think GU takes 2 in seven game series against Kentucky which is better than any other team in America this season.

UNI is 17th in FG% (14th in Adju FG%) to go along with 18th in 3P%... I think the ORb is interesting, but limiting opposing teams chances and hitting your shots (which they do both very very well) makes them dangerous to UK

coolhandzag
02-11-2015, 09:31 AM
No 5 star players in Superbowl this year. Leadership and Team Work still go a long way.

High School, and Jr. High School, athletic rating system is largely subjective, with a heavy dose of corruption. Not that the rating are completely illegitimate, but they are not based solidly on reality, more of a projected, potentially purchased, future.

Most every player in the 2015 Superbowl is a hyper-athletic individual that most human beings really have no concept of. Do you want to complete a quick dig route with Thomas or Chancellor waiting for you? Think you can block Bennett? Think again.

Kentucky is sleepwalking through the season. Don't be fooled. Will they win the Bracket? I don't know, but I believe that Kentucky can pressure the ball, full court, for 40 minutes more effectively then any one else if they so choose.

Work on beating on ball pressure, pinching all drives to Shem, and shrink the heart of that 2-3 zone.

Bracket seeding only matters for about an hour after the Selection Show. One game at a time. Potential is there.

mgadfly
02-11-2015, 10:45 AM
UNI is 17th in FG% (14th in Adju FG%) to go along with 18th in 3P%... I think the ORb is interesting, but limiting opposing teams chances and hitting your shots (which they do both very very well) makes them dangerous to UK

I really hope N. Iowa doesn't end up playing Kentucky early in the tournament because I think they will be fun to watch. Unfortunately, I think that would play into Kentucky's strengths. In the games I've seen, Tuttle has been fantastic. However, against Wichita State (and they looked awesome in that game) Tuttle didn't face a player over 6'7" (the two bigger kids played a combined 5 minutes). And nobody (in the regular rotation) for the Shockers can block a shot. A lot of the action they get on the perimeter is because Tuttle is so good offensively. I don't think Kentucky has to collapse on him, double team him, or really focus a lot on him. They'll be able to rotate five guys bigger and more athletic than he is who block more shots individually than most of the teams N. Iowa has faced this season. They are also big guys who can play defense on the perimeter and in the mid-range. That allows Kentucky's (big) guards to extend and pressure shooters and chase them off the three point line into guys who are aggressively attempting to block shots. If Northern Iowa could make them pay by getting rebounds when the shot blockers are out of position then they'd have a chance to hit second chance "scramble" threes or easy put backs. But that isn't N. Iowa's game (at least not in the games I've watched).

That team shooting makes them a tough out and they could get hot against anyone. I think they are built to challenge a team Arizona. An athletic team who doesn't give up offensive rebounds to anyone (so not giving them up to N. Iowa isn't going to be an additional advantage), isn't fantastic against the three, and doesn't block a lot of shots. It'd be a tough task, but N. Iowa could draw some fouls, knock down some shots, create spacing for the shooters and pull an upset.