• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Zagsker
    Zag for Life
    • Dec 2008

Wear you out

The one thing that I think seperates this team for a lot of past GU teams as well as other teams currently in the country is that we just wear you out. There is not a lineup that we throw out there that does not have at least 2 legit scoring options on the floor (legit meaning these scorers would be leading or runner ups on a lot of teams). Even going away from the offensive end we have defensive players that encompass any lineup we have that "bring it" on that end.

That is why, this year more than any I can remember, I just do not get that worried when we are down. The past two games are perfect examples. We were down but you just knew those teams could not keep up personnel wise, we don't have a lot if "give" through an entire game...our subs trump your subs and in many cases our subs trump your starters...we WEAR YOU OUT
    I am working on being a more all around square.
  • Reborn
    Zag for Life
    • Oct 2007

I believe you're right. I have had those same thoughts. I know we wore Santa Clara down. you could see it. And it was obvious against the Dons as well. Teams come out in the beginning and really defend us with toughness and quickness, but they can not keep it up. The Zags just keep coming at them, wave after wave (like the song goes) until they wear down. A stupid foul by that player who threw Pangos to the floor. That kind of a foul comes from being worn down to the bone. There's nothing left in side to defend their spirits and they break.

Go Zags!!!
    Go Zags!!! The Best Is Yet To Come!!!

Comment

• zagamatic
      Zag for Life
      • Aug 2009

In a way, i think that this could be tied in with the other thread about taking everyone's best shot. Since we're used to having to put forth that kind of effort all game long, you generally don't see a let down because in its own way it's a form of physical conditioning. Other teams however, don't put forth this kind of effort day in and day out and you can literally see the effects after about 30 minutes. This is why playing against other upper echelon teams are always closer games, they're also used to it.

Comment

• MDABE80
        Zag for Life
        • Feb 2007

I'm not sure we wore USF out. They played hard defense till the end. After the half USF's shooting fell back to sub 50%. Ours didn't we won because we shot better. I still don't think we played great defense for most of the game. Whew... USF scared the crap out of me anyway. A hot shooting team at home and we were chilly.
        Santa Clara I do agree....we wore them down.

Comment

• Zags11
          Banned
          • Mar 2008

St marys and Pacific scare me as on road. I cant believe the seasons winding down.

Comment

• DZ
            Zag for Life
            • Sep 2007

Originally posted by Zags11 View Post
            St marys and Pacific scare me as on road. I cant believe the seasons winding down.
            I don't think we've ever had any trouble at Pacific, have we? I don't know too much about them.

As for SMC, they definitely have more talent, but the last 2 years, for whatever reason, we've gone in and blown them out at SMC. I think maybe it's the mind set. We go there to "get" a win, whereas perhaps we go to USF and SCU "to survive?" Of course, if SMC shoots 60% it'll be a long night, too.
            Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.
            Mark Twain.

Comment

• Zag_Dad
              Zag for Life
              • Dec 2013

Originally posted by Zagsker View Post
              The one thing that I think seperates this team for a lot of past GU teams as well as other teams currently in the country is that we just wear you out. There is not a lineup that we throw out there that does not have at least 2 legit scoring options on the floor (legit meaning these scorers would be leading or runner ups on a lot of teams). Even going away from the offensive end we have defensive players that encompass any lineup we have that "bring it" on that end.

That is why, this year more than any I can remember, I just do not get that worried when we are down. The past two games are perfect examples. We were down but you just knew those teams could not keep up personnel wise, we don't have a lot if "give" through an entire game...our subs trump your subs and in many cases our subs trump your starters...we WEAR YOU OUT
              I agree that on the Northern CA road trip our depth absolutely made a difference. The level of energy SCU and USF had to expend in order to keep up with us can't be maintained when we have such a talented bench. The talent disparity between our starting five and the other teams in WCC is obvious. I'm not sure that disparity will be as obvious when we get to the tournament.

I get very worried when I see two games in a row where GU lets a mediocre WCC team hang with us well into the second half. I totally get it that every team gives us their best short and often times plays way above their talent level because they have nothing to lose, but we are the #2 team in the country... I hate giving the GU haters any ammunition.

In the end... it's still a W.

GO ZAGS

Comment

Working...
              X