PDA

View Full Version : Gonzaga vs San Francisco..Post game thoughts

Reborn
02-07-2015, 10:15 PM
Great game tonight, and I'm so thankful the Zags pulled out two wins in Northern Cal. USF gave us the kind of game that most of us felt that they would. They can shoot really well in their gym. They were 9-15 from behind the arc. Wiltjer sure was fantastic tonight and especially, like last night, in the second half. He was ON FIRE. He scored 29 points with 11 rebounds. Kevin also played very well as he contributed 17 pts tonight. We needed them all as Bell couldn't hit the broad side of the barn AGAIN as he shot 0-7. Wesley also contributed with 12 points and as usual, he played some good D. Nunez got to play maybe four or five minutes at the end of the first half as both Karnowski and Sabonis were in foul trouble and had to sit. I thought Nunez played well too. It was good to see him in there again. Gonzaga had a 23 to 9 advantage from the foul line, as USF was settling for all those three point shots. And the Zags outrebounded USF 38 to 22. The Zags had 16 offensive rebounds, maybe their high this year. That's a good stat, and I did not notice that during the game.

The game was a nail-biter for sure. It was nick and tuck up until about 5 minutes left in the game when Gonzaga began to pull away finally. Willer was just unstoppable and then Gonzaga spent the last minute or two nailing the coffin with great foul shooting. The Zags will get a week off, while the theyplay two games at home, and then they'll return to Northern Cal to play St. Mary's.

Go Zags!!!
One game at a time!

hooter73
02-07-2015, 10:22 PM
My post game thought: I'm going to have a hangover in the morning for what it took to get through that game.

bballbeachbum
02-07-2015, 10:25 PM
your man Wiltjer was awesome, best I've seen from him in a tough place to get comfortable

Marcus
02-07-2015, 10:26 PM
It has been a great sign that this team can withstand a team playing out of their mind at home and come away with the win. I know it's been said a lot this year but we lost games like this in the past. The Dons shot 60% from 3 for crying out loud. It takes a ton of mental toughness to not let that break you down to where you start to panic. They stick to the game plan and show a lot of poise.

Goshzagit
02-07-2015, 10:27 PM
Sabonis' rebounding #'s last 10 games are amazing:

and only ONE game amongst those 10 when he logged more than 25 mins!?!!!

Unreal.

His boards are so crucial and were a saving grace in the Bay Area this weekend.

U Zig, I Zag
02-07-2015, 10:30 PM
Last two games have been great. Two tough tests. Way harder to win on the road. Lots of poise to pull out those two games (by solid margins at the end).

DixieZag
02-07-2015, 10:33 PM
Love our guys, great wins, shows their mental toughness.

But, first time this year that I thought they really looked rattled. I almost want to say scared, at about the 2:00 mark, but not that strong. Maybe just "nervous."

I don't want to sound too strong on this bc I am really proud they won tonight against a team that played unreal, but the inability to get the ball up the court, inbound the ball, falling all over the mid-court, it worried me a bit b/c it looked like some...reluctance? Is that the right word? Am I focusing too much on it?

Mighta' been 'cause the reffing was just inexplicable, no predictability.

ZagsGoZags
02-07-2015, 10:33 PM
Pangos. I don't know how many times the ball goes in, and I look back and he set it up, he opened it, he made the assist, he was the body on the 50-50 balls. What a champion. Rex looked so sad at the end of the game.

U Zig, I Zag
02-07-2015, 10:37 PM
Love our guys, great wins, shows their mental toughness.

But, first time this year that I thought they really looked rattled. I almost want to say scared, at about the 2:00 mark, but not that strong. Maybe just "nervous."

I don't want to sound too strong on this bc I am really proud they won tonight against a team that played unreal, but the inability to get the ball up the court, inbound the ball, falling all over the mid-court, it worried me a bit b/c it looked like some...reluctance? Is that the right word? Am I focusing too much on it?

Mighta' been 'cause the reffing was just inexplicable, no predictability.

I have said before, if you want to beat the Zags - pressure the ball the entire time. A team like Uva or uk could prob do it. Love pangos and bell but damn, we look awful breaking pressure at times. Actually, Mc looks damn confident with the ball.

Zagceo
02-07-2015, 10:41 PM
It was fun to watch. Rex was throwing everything at us and our guys responded. Good to have sphincter games and let a little pressure affect play.

Matt on the radio said Pangos started a verbal altercation with Rex at the very end in which Hudson made the comment Rex should know better than to engage or retaliate against a player even if the player started it.

sounds like our team is getting a little attitude.....I like it!

Go Zags!

Marcus
02-07-2015, 11:05 PM
It was fun to watch. Rex was throwing everything at us and our guys responded. Good to have sphincter games and let a little pressure affect play.

Matt on the radio said Pangos started a verbal altercation with Rex at the very end in which Hudson made the comment Rex should know better than to engage or retaliate against a player even if the player started it.

sounds like our team is getting a little attitude.....I like it!

Go Zags!

That's interesting, was it after he got shoved on his way back to the bench or after the game was over?

Zagceo
02-07-2015, 11:09 PM
The game was just ending or had just ended it was way after the T and the tussle but I did notice in the handshake line Rex gave Kevin a little extra atta boy pat on the back.

MickMick
02-07-2015, 11:12 PM
Give USF credit for penetrating and knocking down shots. They played well.

I really worry about the Zags playing teams that like to trap. I think it might be their downfall. Think of Louisville doing this instead of the Dons.

Zagceo
02-07-2015, 11:16 PM
Sabonis' rebounding #'s last 10 games are amazing:

and only ONE game amongst those 10 when he logged more than 25 mins!?!!!

Unreal.

His boards are so crucial and were a saving grace in the Bay Area this weekend.

18/8

age/fingers

He's our Reboundinator

jim77
02-07-2015, 11:49 PM
I have said before, if you want to beat the Zags - pressure the ball the entire time. A team like Uva or uk could prob do it. Love pangos and bell but damn, we look awful breaking pressure at times. Actually, Mc looks damn confident with the ball.

Yup. Not sure what to do about it but, I actually prefer Dranginis play the point with KP at the 2 in those situations. Speaking of KD...that kid is always in the mix.

caduceus
02-08-2015, 12:04 AM
I dunno about you guys, but I fear SMC is going to be a handful in their gym. I have no doubt that Bennett will have the Gaels as well prepared as our last two foes. Those last two games were enough to send me to rehab. SMC's NCAA tourney chances pretty much entirely depend on their performance vs. the Zags. They'll be playing as if their lives depended on it -- more so than SCU and USF and their mediocre "beat GU and I keep my job" coaches.

DixieZag
02-08-2015, 12:53 AM
I dunno about you guys, but I fear SMC is going to be a handful in their gym. I have no doubt that Bennett will have the Gaels as well prepared as our last two foes. Those last two games were enough to send me to rehab. SMC's NCAA tourney chances pretty much entirely depend on their performance vs. the Zags. They'll be playing as if their lives depended on it -- more so than SCU and USF and their mediocre "beat GU and I keep my job" coaches.

I could be wrong, but I don't think so.

The last two years, we've been worried (kinda rightfully) about our game there and we've just gone in and blown their doors off. And, dare I say, those last two years were against better SMC teams and not as good a Zag team as we have. In years past, the tougher games seemed to be our home games. I think it is that we get just as up to play them. In these games, we're just trying to go down and survive an ordeal. We go to SMC to win. That's just me, though. I could easily be wrong.

ZagaZags
02-08-2015, 01:08 AM
It is always great to get a sweep down there. With March just around the corner, I hope the Zags can do better against the press.

Zagger
02-08-2015, 05:41 AM
I could be wrong, but I don't think so.

The last two years, we've been worried (kinda rightfully) about our game there and we've just gone in and blown their doors off. And, dare I say, those last two years were against better SMC teams and not as good a Zag team as we have. In years past, the tougher games seemed to be our home games. I think it is that we get just as up to play them. In these games, we're just trying to go down and survive an ordeal. We go to SMC to win. That's just me, though. I could easily be wrong.
My sentiments too. St. Mary's doesn't play recklessly to win. Can't say the same about SCU & SF.

jazzdelmar
02-08-2015, 05:47 AM
Pangos. I don't know how many times the ball goes in, and I look back and he set it up, he opened it, he made the assist, he was the body on the 50-50 balls. What a champion. Rex looked so sad at the end of the game.

I would have no problem if more Zags played the way Walters did.

jazzdelmar
02-08-2015, 05:48 AM
Yup. Not sure what to do about it but, I actually prefer Dranginis play the point with KP at the 2 in those situations. Speaking of KD...that kid is always in the mix.

Oh no, sorry. KD simply cannot dribble when pressured. Not even close. Bell not much better and neither is Wes. It's got to be Mac.

WallaWallaZag
02-08-2015, 05:56 AM
usf game reminded me a little of zona in that the zags really struggled with execution and pressure towards the end of the game...just glad result was different. surprised pangos has so much difficulty with the press...has a bad habit of jumping into the air to attempt a pass when under duress.

GrizZAG
02-08-2015, 06:06 AM
Anybody notice the icy handshake Walters gave Few? He didn't even look at Mark as he blew by him. What a tool.

WallaWallaZag
02-08-2015, 06:08 AM
Anybody notice the icy handshake Walters gave Few? He didn't even look at Mark as he blew by him. What a tool.

are we back to complaining about handshakes again?!?! lot more to worry about imo...

john montana
02-08-2015, 08:15 AM

Uva plays pack line, they wait for you in the half court and rarely trap. Uk could wreak some havoc for sure though. We did not handle the pressure well at all. We just don't have a ton of ball handling other than KP, and KP has limited quickness. KD, bell, melson, Wesley, just don't handle the ball well enough to dribble through pressure. Maybe mac can, but the answer has to be in our preparation. Early passes before the trap comes and attacking off the swing...we need to drill it in practice because it is obvious we are not comfortable against heavy trapping pressure. Some ugly possessions last night.

DixieZag
02-08-2015, 08:26 AM
Uva plays pack line, they wait for you in the half court and rarely trap. Uk could wreak some havoc for sure though. We did not handle the pressure well at all. We just don't have a ton of ball handling other than KP, and KP has limited quickness. KD, bell, melson, Wesley, just don't handle the ball well enough to dribble through pressure. Maybe mac can, but the answer has to be in our preparation. Early passes before the trap comes and attacking off the swing...we need to drill it in practice because it is obvious we are not comfortable against heavy trapping pressure. Some ugly possessions last night.

This.

I genuinely hope they start working on this issue now.

It is also one of the few dents in Pangos iron. He doesn't look confident going against pressure. And when Kevin doesn't look confident, the team doesn't look confident. There is more than one reason that we need to start seeing EMac sub in from the 1-3 spots almost like Sabonis does down low b/c he brings what we otherwise don't have.

Marcus
02-08-2015, 08:28 AM
I agree that sometimes they just don't look great breaking the press. Eric sure helps, he can just out run the trap. Goodson despite some flaws was really good at this too. I remember the game in the tournament against St. John's when they tried to press us, he would break it by himself.

I think part of it looking ugly this year is that it's coming late in the game and Few probably is anticipating the foul. Or Kevin is. If they do foul, I want the ball to stay with Kevin. Teams are sure getting away with a lot of contact this year on Kevin when he does get by the press too. Sometimes it's a sutle hand on the hip riding him up the court, sometimes he gets flat out knocked to the ground. He hasn't been getting the calls lately.

Hoopaholic
02-08-2015, 08:30 AM

trying to dribble thru traps is exactly the issue we looked ragged....teammates not getting to their spots due to failure to recognize traps or full court is the critical issue that would allow us to PASS to break........the one tie we got to the sideline midcourt spot in a timely manner we hit sabonis, weakside slices middle and we get layup

Zaglaw
02-08-2015, 08:36 AM

Not what I saw at all. Rex was clearly unhappy with the loss, but I thought he was quite respectful towards Few. I'm the first person to want to think ill of Rex, but I was actually impressed with his demeanor after the game.

amaronizag
02-08-2015, 08:44 AM
The way to beat a press is the fast break. If you're slow in transition and let the opponent get the press get set up and put on you, it's already working and you're in a bad place. If you make quick passes to get the ball down court, it's possible to score consistently against the press. If it isn't working, and it's hurting the team using it, it won't be used much against you. I love that Rex brings that to GU every year. He brings that Nolan Richardson, 40 minutes of hell style to us every year. He played for Roy Williams at KS and Roy loves to run. Roy stands on the sidelines with his arm going in 360 degrees like the hands on a clock, jumping up and down screaming "RUN, RUN, RUN". A dramatically different coaching style from Few on the sidelines pumping the palms of his hands toward the floor saying "SLOW IT DOWN, SLOW IT DOWN."

I think Rex has toned it down a couple of notches, but he still brings the pressure for sure. Very good for our team to see this because it forces Few to get out of his routine that almost never puts full court pressure on the ball and offensively only runs in transition for a few possessions in most games. Few used to run some transition sets for the flex motion designed for quick hitters that then transitioned into the flex motion if we didn't score, but we used to NEVER see players running the fast break lanes for a true fast break. We started to do that a little in the last couple of years, and frequently use that tempo to get a lead early in the game, but then we always slow it down and don't continue that pace. Long winded explanation for why it is great to have Rex coaching SF. I wish we faced more teams that challenged us with that style of play to prepare us for March.

Outraged
02-08-2015, 10:27 AM
[QUOTE=amaronizag;1083166]The way to beat a press is the fast break. If you're slow in transition and let the opponent get the press get set up and put on you, it's already working and you're in a bad place. If you make quick passes to get the ball down court, it's possible to score consistently against the press. If it isn't working, and it's hurting the team using it, it won't be used much against you. I love that Rex brings that to GU every year. He brings that Nolan Richardson, 40 minutes of hell style to us every year. He played for Roy Williams at KS and Roy loves to run. Roy stands on the sidelines with his arm going in 360 degrees like the hands on a clock, jumping up and down screaming "RUN, RUN, RUN". A dramatically different coaching style from Few on the sidelines pumping the palms of his hands toward the floor saying "SLOW IT DOWN, SLOW IT DOWN." [/QUOTE)

I agree the real problem is what we do before the press. Inbounding the ball has always been a Gu problem during cunch time against good competition. It's a one man show coming up the court no one is aware or considers helping kevin. In this case our tall fourth guard Wilt could be some assistance. The number two team in the country should not be having this fundamental problem with mediocre teams..

jazzdelmar
02-08-2015, 10:30 AM
Rex was just fine. Tough loss. Wish all the Zags had his competitiveness on the court. A joy to watch.

HillBillyZag
02-08-2015, 11:17 AM
Coach Few feels that the line between Confidence and Arrogance is fine one, and any signs pointing toward the latter must be identified and dealt with quickly. I agree with him.

willandi
02-08-2015, 11:22 AM
They (USF) tried to substitute after every made basket. It let them set up their inbound defense and trap.

Also saw KP trying to dribble past and have his head snapped back. He made the 1/2ct and called time...but mugging is allowed!

MDABE80
02-08-2015, 11:28 AM
We saw a flaw in our game.....What to do with a very hard pressing defnse full of traps? We won the game but on defense, Rex coached a gem. We would do well to watch film on what USF did. It exposed a few things. Things that we'll see in upcoming games. Preparation for this type of defense is in our interest.

seacatfan
02-08-2015, 11:31 AM
Nunez got to play maybe four or five minutes at the end of the first half as both Karnowski and Sabonis were in foul trouble and had to sit. I thought Nunez played well too. It was good to see him in there again.

Totally agree with this. For quite a few games we've only seen him in garbage time and he starts hoisting up 3's immediately. Last night he got the call in the 1st half due to fouls on several of GU's bigs, and I thought he played within the system and did well. Kudos to him.

seacatfan
02-08-2015, 11:32 AM

I don't think beating GU once in their place is going to be enough to get them in the Tourney. Their resume currently isn't remotely close. One quality win doesn't change that.

Mantua
02-08-2015, 11:40 AM
Other team members need to go to the ball when one is struggling with the trap, on the perimeter and under the basket.

Zagger
02-09-2015, 04:41 PM
Zip line it. Have PK, Don'tmiss and Wiltjer beat the press. :)