PDA

View Full Version : Gary Bell, Jr.

23dpg
02-07-2015, 09:53 PM
It goes without saying that he was off tonight but I'm wondering what's up with his free throw shooting? I have very little confidence with him at the line.

I think he's shooting about 70% for the year. With his stroke, I'd expect at least 80%.

Any ideas?

gonzagafan62
02-07-2015, 09:54 PM
Shoot with pangos at night? Lol

23dpg
02-07-2015, 10:06 PM
Just a headscratcher for me. His stroke is so pure.

hooter73
02-07-2015, 10:17 PM
The Courious Career of Gary Bell Jr. continues.

roxdoc
02-08-2015, 12:05 AM
was not so hot on D for both games of the road trip.

Zags11
02-08-2015, 12:30 AM
Ah, bell is a mid 70% ft shooter as career.

Bouldin4Prez
02-08-2015, 01:20 AM
Gary Bell is 33/47 on the year from the line equally 70%. Such a small sample size. If he makes 5 more FT's this year he is 38/47 and 80%. If he makes 2 more FT's, he gets to 75% and is the "mid 70% FT" you wish he could be. He gets to the line so little, this is a negligible issue.

Zags11
02-08-2015, 01:25 AM
Gary Bell is 33/47 on the year from the line equally 70%. Such a small sample size. If he makes 5 more FT's this year he is 38/47 and 80%. If he makes 2 more FT's, he gets to 75% and is the "mid 70% FT" you wish he could be. He gets to the line so little, this is a negligible issue.

Yea i dont think he is far off unless talkin to another poster.

WallaWallaZag
02-08-2015, 05:41 AM
gbj seems to be a little bit streaky this year...if he hits his first one more are likely to follow...that seems to go for both 3's and free throws. at least he has been attacking the rim more...

Big Bulldog
02-08-2015, 06:09 AM
The grind of the season maybe starting to wear on GBJ. This is evident especially when his D lacks. Thankfully the team depth can absorb this during the dog days of Feb & hopefully he can get the spark back for a deep March/April run.

Goshzagit
02-08-2015, 07:03 AM
GBJ was off, both defensively and offensively last night.

0-7 FG and his defense wasn't up to par either, actually, looked the worst of any guard last night. Pangos had lapses, Dranginis held his own, yet Coach Few needs to realize where the weak link is for a game and utilize his depth much earlier.

GBJ played nearly all game, getting burnt on both ends of the floor, meanwhile McClellan looked good and made plays, only logging 7 mins. Silas also looked solid, making his only attempted shot, only logging 4 mins.

Inexcusable rotation re: GBJ last night.

His 0-fer-7 could have cost us dearly vs a better team or in NCAA tournament.

Utilize that depth!

McClellan looked great in limited mins all trip, no excuse for playing Gary 35 mins and not doing a darn thing.

Love me some GBJ, yet last night was not his night, react accordingly. JUST because the game was tight and Coach Few 'feels' better with him in crunch time, doesn't mean its the right play.

We needed Silas lay-up and Silas Melson dunk to win that game, yet the logged just 9 mins between them when Gary was getting smoked all over the court vs USF.

Sounds like I'm ragging on Gary, I'm not, simply stating last night was a microcosm of every NCAA Tourney game we will play...I just hope Coach Few reacts accordingly with his lineups. Gotta play your most effective players, especially in the backcourt to win games.

IF one ain't feelin it nor performing at a certain level --- NEXT MAN UP!

This is more about Few not making adjustments with a coveted player...GBJ needed to sit and his back-ups were performing at a high level. Pretty simple.

raise the zag
02-08-2015, 07:13 AM
The grind of the season maybe starting to wear on GBJ. This is evident especially when his D lacks. Thankfully the team depth can absorb this during the dog days of Feb & hopefully he can get the spark back for a deep March/April run.

Problem is, this has occurred in every season the last 4 seasons; not a coincidence he's had off-season surgery 4 years running now...

Gary's style of play is what makes him great. His willingness to sacrifice his body is why he's so effective i.e. through screens, 35 mins of relentless defense, lateral movements at full intensity are hard on knees, etc.

Another problem is that Coach Few "rewards" Gary's sacrifices with crunch time mins and additional/extended mins, yet this works against him, not for him. While Coach may feel more comfortable, Gary is worn out, quite literally, by season's end -- every year.

Its about mid-february of every season we begin to wonder why GBJ is getting burnt so much or why he looks to be playing in 'slow motion'. Same comments, same time, new year.

The absolute best thing Coach Few could do for Gary is rest him. Rest him during games. Give Eric and Silas much more playing time. Allow Gary to heal, replenish, and when he does play, play at full tilt, without pain, at full speed, etc.

We will need GBJ come NCAA's and he's starting to wilt once again in February. Gary's brawny build wears quicker than the average bear. We forget he's 200+lbs as well. Quite a lot for a 6'1" guy, especially on bball court and Gary throws his body around...of course he's hurting/gassed/overworked.

I was fuming at Coach for leaving him in last night, especially when he was the one giving up the dribble drive and missing wide-open shots left and right. Why play him for 37 mins when he looked tired, slow, lethargic?!

Not to mention his back-ups played with great energy, defense, hustle, and were making the most of the opportunities.

Gary is MVP on defense, yet if Coach Few continues to run him ragged as a reward, when we have an opportunity to get him at his best, why not play others more...

Give Gary a breather! Maybe even a game off! Could and should pay off huge down the stretch!

GonzagasaurusFlex
02-08-2015, 07:25 AM
GBJ was off, both defensively and offensively last night.

0-7 FG and his defense wasn't up to par either, actually, looked the worst of any guard last night. Pangos had lapses, Dranginis held his own, yet Coach Few needs to realize where the weak link is for a game and utilize his depth much earlier.

GBJ played nearly all game, getting burnt on both ends of the floor, meanwhile McClellan looked good and made plays, only logging 7 mins. Silas also looked solid, making his only attempted shot, only logging 4 mins.

Inexcusable rotation re: GBJ last night.

His 0-fer-7 could have cost us dearly vs a better team or in NCAA tournament.

Utilize that depth!

McClellan looked great in limited mins all trip, no excuse for playing Gary 35 mins and not doing a darn thing.

Love me some GBJ, yet last night was not his night, react accordingly. JUST because the game was tight and Coach Few 'feels' better with him in crunch time, doesn't mean its the right play.

We needed Silas lay-up and Silas Melson dunk to win that game, yet the logged just 9 mins between them when Gary was getting smoked all over the court vs USF.

Sounds like I'm ragging on Gary, I'm not, simply stating last night was a microcosm of every NCAA Tourney game we will play...I just hope Coach Few reacts accordingly with his lineups. Gotta play your most effective players, especially in the backcourt to win games.

IF one ain't feelin it nor performing at a certain level --- NEXT MAN UP!

This is more about Few not making adjustments with a coveted player...GBJ needed to sit and his back-ups were performing at a high level. Pretty simple.

Bell played 28 minutes, not 35 http://www.cbssports.com/collegebasketball/gametracker/boxscore/NCAAB_20150207_GONZAG@SANFRAN

Perhaps your point about NCAA tourney games and needing to play your most effective players is precisely why Coach Few does not suddenly tether one of his senior leaders to a short leash just because he wasn't having a great game. If you bench Gary Bell now and, what, play him 20 minutes or less as your post seems to suggest, good chance that serves only to deflate his confidence and hurt this team way more come tourney time.

I believe in Gary Bell and have no doubt whatsoever he will show up and show out big time on the biggest stage for the Zags this year...the NCAA tourney. I definitely don't want the coaches to start sending him to the bench just because he has an off game. Senior guards who have proven themselves time and again over the years do not deserve that. I'd take a loss to USF and a confident Gary Bell in the NCAA tourney any day over a USF win and a senior guard who suddenly thinks the coaches no longer trust him.

TexasZagFan
02-08-2015, 07:47 AM
Anyone's defense will be off when the other team gets away with multiple moving screens. His shot was
off a bit, IMO. Was his shooting hand bothered by the foul on Thursday night?

Zagger
02-08-2015, 08:06 AM
Another factor is that Gary has been playing big mins for 4 years. Other WCC teams know better how he's going to move, his habits/play. That's got to impact a player's effectiveness. No scouting by any NCAA Tourney opponent can match that knowledge. Last night it sured seemed to me that the newer the Zag the more effective they were against USF (as a generalization). Gary's gonna be big for the Zags in the NCAAs - I have no doubt.

ZagHouse
02-08-2015, 08:20 AM
He had a bad shooting night. Although it might take him some time to recover from the sky falling on his head, I think he'll be OK.

BTB
02-08-2015, 08:26 AM
Gary is fine. His free throw shooting is what it is, everyone expects him to be an 80% free throw shooter even though he's been a low-70% shooter his whole career. Kind of like how people expect Pangos to be 90% even though he's always been mid-80%. Thats who they are. He's a bit down for most of the year but I have confidence in him. A few bad games does not make him a bad player.

Hoopaholic
02-08-2015, 08:33 AM
he is fine, critical element for our team

but did find it odd he was not on court last 30 seconds....by design? to get mac some end of game experience?

bballbeachbum
02-08-2015, 08:37 AM
he is fine, critical element for our team

but did find it odd he was not on court last 30 seconds....by design? to get mac some end of game experience?

thought the same thing, wondered if maybe he'd picked up a knock even

23dpg
02-08-2015, 08:59 AM
My question is really just about his ft shot. Why is it a guy who can shoot so well from 3, and has such a nice smooth stroke, doesn't shoot better from the line. Am I wrong on this? I see good form. But I wasnt a good ft shooter so who am I to say.

DZ
02-08-2015, 09:31 AM
My question is really just about his ft shot. Why is it a guy who can shoot so well from 3, and has such a nice smooth stroke, doesn't shoot better from the line. Am I wrong on this? I see good form. But I wasnt a good ft shooter so who am I to say.

I thought in years past he shot right around 80%?

23dpg
02-08-2015, 09:38 AM
I thought in years past he shot right around 80%?

Freshman 74%
Soph 72%
Junior 78%
Senior 68%

Zags11
02-08-2015, 09:46 AM
He shot 0-7, and thatll happen. When he doesnt shoot, people ask why? And when he does, people ask why? As a shooter, there will be days your on (6-7) or off (0-7).

roxdoc
02-08-2015, 11:36 AM
Its not Gary's O, it's his D that is lately of concern. Love to see him with agressive/successful O, but if he is once again getting "worn down" he should be given a little more rest. We have seen this movie before. Perhaps McC is limited in time available but one would think between he and Melson, Gary could sit a little more. We need Gary healthy and mentally and physicazlly fresh not too many weeks hence.

DZ
02-08-2015, 11:38 AM
Freshman 74%
Soph 72%
Junior 78%
Senior 68%

Thank you 23.

I should have looked it up myself. I appreciate it.

I had him a little high, I guess.

Reborn
02-08-2015, 06:12 PM
.Gary was off last night. But Kevin was on. Some nights Kevin is on but Gary is on. Sometimes Kyle Dranginis is on and sometimes it's Melson. This is a team game, and Gary has a very big role on it. Respect that, and delight in him. This is his last year. I accept that some fans believe that everyone should be perfect, and that every game should be the same. Sorry. It's not how it goes. We live in an imperfect world including the world of sports. We keep chasing after perfection but will always come up short. The great thing about this team, and maybe all teams is that Gonzaga has enough really good pieces that when someone is off someone picks up the slack. Would you change Kevin's role if he had an 0-7 night? I think he just had one recently. Gary Bell has been a great Zag, and to think that some of you want to throw him under the bus makes me sick...of YOU. This has been one of the worst threads ever accepted by our Mods. Wish it had never appeared here. I have said it many times and I'll say it again. Gary Bell represents everything good about being a Zag. He is getting his shooting touch back, and has played three really really good games recently and just Thursday night he scored 16 and was on fire. And for an off night you want to retire him???? Sick!!!

Go Zags!!!

23dpg
02-08-2015, 06:31 PM
.Gary was off last night. But Kevin was on. Some nights Kevin is on but Gary is on. Sometimes Kyle Dranginis is on and sometimes it's Melson. This is a team game, and Gary has a very big role on it. Respect that, and delight in him. This is his last year. I accept that some fans believe that everyone should be perfect, and that every game should be the same. Sorry. It's not how it goes. We live in an imperfect world including the world of sports. We keep chasing after perfection but will always come up short. The great thing about this team, and maybe all teams is that Gonzaga has enough really good pieces that when someone is off someone picks up the slack. Would you change Kevin's role if he had an 0-7 night? I think he just had one recently. Gary Bell has been a great Zag, and to think that some of you want to throw him under the bus makes me sick...of YOU. This has been one of the worst threads ever accepted by our Mods. Wish it had never appeared here. I have said it many times and I'll say it again. Gary Bell represents everything good about being a Zag. He is getting his shooting touch back, and has played three really really good games recently and just Thursday night he scored 16 and was on fire. And for an off night you want to retire him???? Sick!!!

Go Zags!!!

This thread is about Gary Bell's free throw shooting. What are you talking about?

Edit to add: after reading through all the posts, no one is asking Bell to retire. One poster suggested he should go to the bench if he's having an off night. More to do with the team's depth than anything else's. Two others wondered if he was a little worn down. All seem to realize how important he is to the team.

Seriously. Did you even read the posts?

zag67
02-08-2015, 06:51 PM
Reborn great comments Pangos and Bell have done a lot for four years they have been great zags

Reborn
02-08-2015, 09:40 PM
This thread is about Gary Bell's free throw shooting. What are you talking about?

Edit to add: after reading through all the posts, no one is asking Bell to retire. One poster suggested he should go to the bench if he's having an off night. More to do with the team's depth than anything else's. Two others wondered if he was a little worn down. All seem to realize how important he is to the team.

Seriously. Did you even read the posts?

I did. And as is apparent I read them quite differently then you did. I wasn't criticizing the thread, as you well know; so don't play dumb. And don't try to turn my feeling nor what I say into something that you want them to say. Nor don't try to tell me what others think or say or feel. I have my own way to see through what is beneath their words. I think maybe it's you who isn't reading them accurately.....and I think you knew what I meant when I said "retire>' You've tried for years to make me look bad on this board....and you used to think you could change me and the way I write. Welcome back 23. As you can see I haven't changed. And neither have you.

Go Zags!!!

23dpg
02-08-2015, 09:45 PM
I'm not surprised by your attack on me. I'm quite used to it by now, Mr 23 (nice number). It's been awhile since we've had a good talk, you've been gone so long. I'm glad you're back. You make my life more meaningful. I did read the posts. I think it's you who didn't. Sorry, but I don't like things that people said about Gary. I understand very clearly why you stick up for people like that. you've never fooled me and you know that....Enjoy!!!

Go Zags!!!

I honestly don't know what you'rel talking about. I tried to send you a private message but your box is full. You have me confused with someone else's. If anything I'm a glass half full Zag. I love everything about this team and school.

But back on topic, this is not a Gary Bell attack thread.

Reborn
02-08-2015, 09:52 PM
I honestly don't know what you'rel talking about. I tried to send you a private message but your box is full. You have me confused with someone else's. If anything I'm a glass half full Zag. I love everything about this team and school.

But back on topic, this is not a Gary Bell attack thread.

You must have me mixed up with someone I think. I just checked my mailbox and it's empty. hahahaha

Go Zags!!!

Zags11
02-09-2015, 05:55 AM
Now you two! Hugs, not fights. ;)

I like debates. Carry on. Ok im bored gettin ready for work.

Reborn
02-09-2015, 08:14 AM
Now you two! Hugs, not fights. ;)

I like debates. Carry on. Ok im bored gettin ready for work.

I lose.....hugs to you 23dpg....If I have mistaken who you are I apologize. It's Monday morning and I need a fresh start.

SWZag
02-09-2015, 09:04 AM
Bell is a huge part of this team from leadership to his on-the-court ability. Who knows where we'd be without him right now, presently, or where we'd be going in the near future. Not every day do we have a guy who's moving up the statistical charts the way he is an he's not the top 1-2-3 guy on the team. Great career thus far and I've nothing negative to say about him. Keep it up Gary!

cjm720
02-09-2015, 10:32 AM
When Gary's "on" it seems like we are at our best. Hopefully McC can spell him enough to maintain enough energy on O and D. Love his increased athleticism this year...fastest he's ever been and IMO has the purest jump shot on the team. He's a huge part of our success.

maynard g krebs
02-09-2015, 01:57 PM
I wonder if the hand was still bothering him from the end of the SC game. In the previous 6 games after ending his slump, he had 4 good shooting games and was 12/24 from 3 11/16 on 2's total.

Let's see what happens after a few days; no idea if the hand was an issue, but it was one bad game after a 3 week stretch of very good offensive play.

bartruff1
02-09-2015, 02:32 PM
When Gary's "on" it seems like we are at our best. Hopefully McC can spell him enough to maintain enough energy on O and D. Love his increased athleticism this year...fastest he's ever been and IMO has the purest jump shot on the team. He's a huge part of our success.

Gary is every bit as critical to the teams success in the NCAA as Kevin is.... the more athletic and skilled the opponents are, the more important he is ....imo, of course.

JPtheBeasta
02-14-2015, 06:22 PM
Poor Gary might have a case of the yips.