PDA

View Full Version : NEXT YEARS POTENTIAL DEPTH CHART?

thespywhozaggedme
02-07-2015, 10:09 AM
This is how I see things shaping up for next season. What say you? As a premptive strike to those that say "let's worry about this year" this is a harmless thread to kill time for our late game tonight; enjoy.

PG: Josh, EMac
SG: Melson,?
SF: Drangs, Albert
PF: Wiltjer, Don'tmiss
C: Shem, Big Ryan

Looks very good again, but if injuries befall us, ala Josh this year, could be a little thin in depth. Am I missing anyone?

23dpg
02-07-2015, 10:24 AM
Rasheed Sulaimon?

Ekrub
02-07-2015, 10:32 AM
Is big Brad =Ryan Edwards?

gonzagafan62
02-07-2015, 10:39 AM
Rasheed Sulaimon?

That would be sweeeeeeeet

Martin Centre Mad Man
02-07-2015, 10:39 AM
Any word on the Nunez appeal?

gonzagafan62
02-07-2015, 10:41 AM
Won't be next year but in two years don't be sleeping on Connor griffin to possibly get some good role minutes after draino leaves

MickMick
02-07-2015, 10:45 AM
You can never predict transfers whether coming in or going out. It is the new culture NCAA hoops. Some, like Spangler's exit, or KO's near exit, for me, came as a big surprise. The same could be said for Wesley and EMac coming in.

The depth chart could get much better or much worse with just one player making a big decision. It is difficult to evaluate next year because of it.

Zagger
02-07-2015, 10:49 AM
How are we looking on anyone new per openings/scholarships? How many new faces could we expect w/ Angel getting the nod to stay (which I really hope is the case).

Zagdawg
02-07-2015, 10:57 AM
Should be 4 open scholies with 1 reduction possible if Angel gets another year.

1 Euro?
2 Freshman?
1 Transfer?

KStyles
02-07-2015, 10:59 AM
How are we looking on anyone new per openings/scholarships? How many new faces could we expect w/ Angel getting the nod to stay (which I really hope is the case).

From SSF, assuming Angel gets the waiver.

http://i.imgur.com/PDsr7f9.png (http://www.slipperstillfits.com/pages/updated-scholarship-chart)

MickMick
02-07-2015, 11:09 AM

http://i.imgur.com/PDsr7f9.png (http://www.slipperstillfits.com/pages/updated-scholarship-chart)

Sheesh the Zags are loaded with young talent. The foundation looks very promising. A couple more pieces could put them close to where they are now. Of course it all boils down to point guard play. It would be crazy to expect the efficiency of Pangos, but Perkins brings a few unique elements of his own.

Hoopaholic
02-07-2015, 12:03 PM

How can melson be a freshman again next year?

gonzagafan62
02-07-2015, 12:05 PM

I think this is before the redshirt was pulled

KStyles
02-07-2015, 12:12 PM
I think this is before the redshirt was pulled

Yeah, I think this chart was made going into the season.

thespywhozaggedme
02-07-2015, 12:31 PM
ha, yes, I keep think Brad Edwards, lol. Im such a dork. I will correct it. Thanks
Is big Brad =Ryan Edwards?

thespywhozaggedme
02-07-2015, 12:32 PM

Have we heard anything about him getting a waiver? That's a HUGE assumption this late in the season, no?

GoZags
02-07-2015, 12:42 PM
Based on the number of unofficial "3rd parties" reaching out to the staff, I envision 2 "impact" transfers coming for next year. 1 a traditional transfer, the 2nd a Senior "graduate" transfer. Both will "help".

Mantua
02-07-2015, 12:46 PM
Rasheed Sulaimon?

Does he have to sit out a year if he transfers?

23dpg
02-07-2015, 01:00 PM
Does he have to sit out a year if he transfers?

A former elite recruit like Sulaimon would be a coveted transfer if he opts to go that route, especially if he were to be able to get his degree by the end of the summer and transfer without having to sit out a year at his destination. If that's not an option, it's certainly possible he could attempt to turn pro, whether in the D-League or overseas.

From Yahoo Sports.

DixieZag
02-07-2015, 01:09 PM

Magic. Clairvoyance. Wizardry.

Oh, and, just general observation. I don't know how, but they will not be able to keep Sabonis out of the starting line-up next year. Maybe have to go 3 bigs, dunno, not my problem, but they can't keep him on the bench for that long.

thespywhozaggedme
02-07-2015, 01:12 PM
Excellent news as always. Love the inside scoop, thanks. Are you allowed to tell us the positions, or is that to be kept under wraps for now?
Based on the number of unofficial "3rd parties" reaching out to the staff, I envision 2 "impact" transfers coming for next year. 1 a traditional transfer, the 2nd a Senior "graduate" transfer. Both will "help".

jchocolate99
02-07-2015, 01:19 PM
This is how I see things shaping up for next season. What say you? As a premptive strike to those that say "let's worry about this year" this is a harmless thread to kill time for our late game tonight; enjoy.

PG: Josh, EMac
SG: Melson,?
SF: Drangs, Albert
PF: Wiltjer, Don'tmiss
C: Shem, Big Ryan

Looks very good again, but if injuries befall us, ala Josh this year, could be a little thin in depth. Am I missing anyone?

based on that didn't realize how thin we'd be at SG if no transfer comes through... hmmm hopefully we get that addressed this off season

thespywhozaggedme
02-07-2015, 01:23 PM
If Suilamon is one of the transfers, I don't know how'd I'd feel about that; apparently he was a big time malcontent.

23dpg
02-07-2015, 01:25 PM
If Suilamon is one of the transfers, I don't know how'd I'd feel about that; apparently he was a big time malcontent.

FTR my first post was a joke. I have no inside info on this. My best guess is that he goes to the D League.

Mantua
02-07-2015, 01:40 PM
A former elite recruit like Sulaimon would be a coveted transfer if he opts to go that route, especially if he were to be able to get his degree by the end of the summer and transfer without having to sit out a year at his destination. If that's not an option, it's certainly possible he could attempt to turn pro, whether in the D-League or overseas.

From Yahoo Sports.

I imagined he would turn pro when the story broke but it's fun to dream!

Zags_Fanatic
02-07-2015, 01:57 PM
It's so hard for me to wrap my head around Sabonis coming off the bench again. I wouldn't mind seeing Coach Few experiment with Wiltjer at the 3 and Sabonis starting in the post. It would certainly be beneficial to Wiltjer's NBA future to have a year to develop as a small forward.

SunDevilGolfZag
02-07-2015, 02:34 PM
I think you are overlooking someone named Domas. In reference to the OP

23dpg
02-07-2015, 02:38 PM
I think you are overlooking someone named Domas. In reference to the OP

Don'tmiss is his nickname. Because he rarely does.

seacatfan
02-07-2015, 03:12 PM
Sulaimon was an elite recruit, but his production through 2 1/2 years really doesn't make him an NBA prospect I don't think. Numbers went down every year. Old enough and scouts have seen him long enough that the buzz word of "potential" really doesn't apply.

seacatfan
02-07-2015, 03:14 PM
I can understand the line of thinking that Sabonis is too good to come off the bench next year, but I'm not seeing it with Wiltjer at the 3. How many years were spent speculating Harris would slide to the 3? Never happened. Harris was a lot closer to being a 3 than Wiltjer is.

seacatfan
02-07-2015, 03:16 PM
As far as depth at the 2, the 2 and the 3 have for the most part been interchangeable at GU. With Perkins, McClellan, Melson, Dranginis and Alberts that's plenty of bodies for the rotation at 1, 2 and 3. I'm sure Few can mix and match nearly endless combos out of those 5 players.

zag67
02-07-2015, 03:26 PM
You have 3 bigs that are all good. Sabonis, PK, and KW. I do not think who starts means anything. They are all getting major minutes and Sabonis is going in at either the first foul or after about 4 minutes whichever happens first. I do not think it bothers them and they know they each have different skills to help the team. I can see Wiltjer playing some 3, but not as much as many would hope. You have Perkins and McC at the point. You have Alberts and Melson at the 2. And then you have Dranginis and all of the others to spread at the 3. But against some teams that have taller 3s, then I could see Wiltjer be a possiblility.

Bogozags
02-07-2015, 03:47 PM
On offence KW would work but not sure how effective he'd be playing SF's on defence.

Maybe Coach Few could incorporate a 2-3 zone as the main defence and then start three of them at the same time...just like Syracuse...

Baseline
02-07-2015, 03:55 PM
To me the big problem is bigger than stated. I expect Edwards to challenge PK for time and demand significant minutes by his play. Much of the time Sabonis is getting when PK sits will be Edwards. That pushes back the available minutes between KW and Domas to be shared. Its hard for me to think of KW as a 3.
Emac, Melson and possibly Alberts can share the SG spot, that will depend on who steps up their shooting.
Next years team is potentially as deep as this ears team, especially if we get one or two new guys that will compete. Next years team may do better than this years team with a health Jenks and Edwards addition.

seacatfan
02-07-2015, 04:03 PM
Good point, wasn't even taking Edwards into account. Depth won't be a problem in the frontcourt, but minutes could be tough to come by. I've said it before, if Nunez does win an appeal he's still going to be buried on the depth chart next year. Unless he can effectively play the 3, which he really hasn't indicated thus far in his career.

raise the zag
02-07-2015, 04:18 PM
not sure how this has been overlooked or understated, yet just heard from a very close source that Kyle Wiltjer has all intent and purposes of attempting to play pro ball after this season.

Whether NBA or not, he's going ALL IN, along with his family pursuing this cause. His Dad is a driving force, yet they will declare sans agent, in addition to seeking D-League or Euroleague offers. Kyle has his degree. He's laid his groundwork. This was the plan all along...its working and on track.

It will depend on what news and/or offers he receives from NBA pro scouts and overseas scouts, yet there is a very good chance(90-99%) we will not see Kyle Wiltjer in a Zag jersey next season.

I'm sure basketballzag can expand further on the topic.

I can't speak on behalf of Sabonis or Karnowski's next steps/plan, no idea, yet they've BOTH already received 600K+/per year offers to play overseas; however, its not in the Wiltjer family plan to return next season UNLESS absolutely necessary i.e. no interest or offers of significance.

I felt this was important to share so expectations regarding Kyle can be tempered and understood.

I heard this news yesterday.

Kyle plans to pursue playing professionally after this season.

23dpg
02-07-2015, 04:25 PM
not sure how this has been overlooked or understated, yet just heard from a very close source that Kyle Wiltjer has all intent and purposes of attempting to play pro ball after this season.

Whether NBA or not, he's going ALL IN, along with his family pursuing this cause. His Dad is a driving force, yet they will declare sans agent, in addition to seeking D-League or Euroleague offers. Kyle has his degree. He's laid his groundwork. This was the plan all along...its working and on track.

It will depend on what news and/or offers he receives from NBA pro scouts and overseas scouts, yet there is a very good chance(90-99%) we will not see Kyle Wiltjer in a Zag jersey next season.

I can't speak on behalf of Sabonis or Karnowski's next steps/plan, no idea, yet they've BOTH already received 600K+/per year offers to play overseas; however, its not in the Wiltjer family plan to return next season UNLESS absolutely necessary i.e. no interest or offers of significance.

I felt this was important to share so expectations regarding Kyle can be tempered and understood.

Wow, if true, good luck to him. I don't see a guy who will get drafted but I've been wrong before and hope I'm wrong here.

FWIW, according to Draftexpess, Kyle is the 31st ranked junior in college (behind Shem) and not on either 2015 or 2016 mock draft. I understand that staying at Gonzaga for his senior year might not improve his standing, but it might. And I doubt it could hurt much.

Bogozags
02-07-2015, 04:29 PM

I never even thought he would leave...I "hate" that he will leave ala KO but we went to school to get an education with the hopes of getting a decent job afterwards so a pro career would fit the bill.

Hopefully, he will do well in the pre-draft camps...think his defence will be key to getting drafted. If he winds up a FA then maybe he will be able to show his "wares" in Summer League...

We could have been "stacked" in the front court next year so we will (hopefully) still have three big men to rotate...

Let's hope this very talented team achieves its goal in March! KW could be the first player to ever earn a D1 NCAA Basketball Championship with two teams!

maynard g krebs
02-07-2015, 04:29 PM
Wow, if true, good luck to him. I don't see a guy who will get drafted but I've been wrong before and hope I'm wrong here.

I don't either, but there's good money to be made in Europe and it makes sense that another year wouldn't raise his NBA stock due to his defensive/rebounding limitations. Understandable if true, though disappointing.

DixieZag
02-07-2015, 04:37 PM
I don't either, but there's good money to be made in Europe and it makes sense that another year wouldn't raise his NBA stock due to his defensive/rebounding limitations. Understandable if true, though disappointing.

Very disappointing.

One wonders, though.

Let's say they were close this year, very close to an NC (just pretend, k?). And they had a blue chip transfer coming (immediate play), and then with all that is coming back and all that. Plus, no team (yet) like Kentucky on the horizon. One wonders if he'd stay to win that 2nd NC (first ever) and do so with "his team" meaning a starter and being a senior. And do it at a place where his name would go down as an instant legend. A place where it has never been done.

Yeah, prolly not, but a guy can make the argument. Or, I can, at least. Doesn't need to be a good one.

BTB
02-07-2015, 04:39 PM

Yep he is not going to be drafted. It's a big bummer but I don't blame him for wanting the $$$. We will be fine next year regardless, there's nothing wrong with more playing time for Sabonis.

KStyles
02-07-2015, 04:43 PM
Very disappointing.

One wonders, though.

Let's say they were close this year, very close to an NC (just pretend, k?). And they had a blue chip transfer coming (immediate play), and then with all that is coming back and all that. Plus, no team (yet) like Kentucky on the horizon. One wonders if he'd stay to win that 2nd NC (first ever) and do so with "his team" meaning a starter and being a senior. And do it at a place where his name would go down as an instant legend. A place where it has never been done.

Yeah, prolly not, but a guy can make the argument. Or, I can, at least. Doesn't need to be a good one.

First ever meaning first NC for GU?

Goshzagit
02-07-2015, 04:44 PM

gotta wonder if losing his best friend and nat'l team buddy, Kevin Pangos, has anything to do with pursuing pro ball. Don't blame him really, yet have a feeling a lot will depend on how this post-season goes.

Wiltjer camp prolly assuming Zags will do well this post-season.

Also, there is a chance he receives little to no offers and decides to return.

Kyle is not a NBA player, imo. He has the game, not the body or toughness. Not even close. Not a knock in the least, its that he's a tremendously skilled 6'10 euro big who plays euro ball for a career -- and make a terrific living.

I have a feeling he returns based on feedback, as overseas offers will always be in play, yet I do get the feeling Kyle feels he's a bit better than he really is -- he's no Kelly Olynyk. Not near the strength, height, post moves, etc.

I view Wiljter as the most pivotal GU transfer of all-time, a very good/great college basketball skilled big, not an NBA player. Not surprised he views himself as such though, why wouldn't he "test" the waters??

He should. I have an inkling he won't like what he hears, kinda/sorta what happened at Kentucky. Kyle will never get bigger, just not in the cards, yet I'm so happy we have him as a player. The kid is awesome for us, and will be for a high class Euro-squad down the road.

He will return. Well, I hope he does.

DixieZag
02-07-2015, 04:51 PM
First ever meaning first NC for GU?

2 Firsts

First ever kid to win a NC with 2 different schools.

First ever at GU.

I realize the money he makes - especially compounded over years - would be significant. OTOH, the guy would never have to actually "work" another day in Spokane again. His "job" could be going down to a car dealership on a weekend, or Hoopfest or whatever and getting his picture taken with all the people - kidding, sort of.

MickMick
02-07-2015, 05:37 PM
Making room for another transfer. If Calipari can be king of the "one and done" freshman, then let Few become king of the "one and done" juniors.
"One and dones" with experience.

Why not?
I'll take it. I hope Wiltjer becomes an NBA all star. It would ultimately serve GU well.

In all honesty, if he works hard, he might make it in Spain. If he works hard.

Meanwhile, Karnowski and Sabonis on the frontline with Edwards subbing in? I'll take that as well. GU would be huuuuuuge. Just toss it up high Josh.

Edit: After 15 years of historical consistency, does anyone really get uptight about replacements anymore? GU will reload. Heck, Few has proven that he can win a tournament game with a football cornerback at point guard.

thespywhozaggedme
02-07-2015, 05:39 PM
How has this post not blown this thread up? If true, this is the biggest Zag news in years. UGH!

btzag
02-07-2015, 06:35 PM
A little surprised that most people here are shocked that KW would leave after this year!? Personally thought that was the plan and expectation all along...

Also I kind of disagree that most here think he has no shot at the NBA. 6'10" with his skills should not be completely overlooked. Granted the physical part of the game is so critical to the NBA but after watching Kentucky vs Florida tonight I can without a doubt say that KW would have been the most skilled offensive player on that court tonight for both teams. Might not translate to the NBA but just sayin.

jchocolate99
02-07-2015, 07:12 PM
A little surprised that most people here are shocked that KW would leave after this year!? Personally thought that was the plan and expectation all along...

Also I kind of disagree that most here think he has no shot at the NBA. 6'10" with his skills should not be completely overlooked. Granted the physical part of the game is so critical to the NBA but after watching Kentucky vs Florida tonight I can without a doubt say that KW would have been the most skilled offensive player on that court tonight for both teams. Might not translate to the NBA but just sayin.

If he makes it to the NBA great for him and great for GU to use for recruiting... He's just not quick enough for the NBA in my opinion. I was wrong about Sacre and could probably be wrong about Wiltjer but at least Sacre had better defense and better coordinated footwork. Its not just about his offensive skill set for the next level because practically everyone in the NBA can score or were great scorers in the collegiate level. You have to have some type of defensive skills because everyone is so athletic

Marcus
02-07-2015, 07:18 PM
If he makes it to the NBA great for him and great for GU to use for recruiting... He's just not quick enough for the NBA in my opinion. I was wrong about Sacre and could probably be wrong about Wiltjer but at least Sacre had better defense and better coordinated footwork. Its not just about his offensive skill set for the next level because practically everyone in the NBA can score or were great scorers in the collegiate level. You have to have some type of defensive skills because everyone is so athletic

Don't forget that Rob was close to 270lbs and all muscle. Rob was and is extremely physical and strong. NBA body right away.

SwainZag
02-07-2015, 07:30 PM

I honestly would be surprised if he left. From all the sites and talk I have seen he doesn't have much draft stock this season. While he has size and has the shot to go pro, an off season of putting on a little bulk and coming back to a Zags team minus Pangos and Wesley he could be an absolute force next season. Player of the Year candidate from the get go. You would only think with a dominate season he would improve his stock, but if he is set on going the undrafted D-league or Euro route there's not much more for him at GU I suppose.

cggonzaga
02-07-2015, 08:33 PM
I also believe he'll sniff the NBA. There is always room for a 6'10 3pt specialist. Bonner has made a career out of it. Just needs the right fit.

MDABE80
02-07-2015, 08:38 PM
Kyle[s a very good college player but he's needing some work even in the college game. Why he's getting some good shooting numbers up, I do think he''ll need a more complete game for the pros. Euro ball is very physical and I'm not sure how well he'd stand up to the punishment. We'll see. If he leaves, he leaves. We'll find someone else to fill his roll. I have major doubts this report from Raise is correct though. No offense intended.

webspinnre
02-07-2015, 09:04 PM
I'm have to think that the report is correct, but the report says that he will "try" to play, not that he "will" play. It'll all depend on what's available to him, and as long as he doesn't hire an agent, he can come back. Frankly, its a great chance for Wilter to go through the process and see where he stands. I think he'll be back when all is said and done.

basketballzag
02-07-2015, 09:07 PM
I'm have to think that the report is correct, but the report says that he will "try" to play, not that he "will" play. It'll all depend on what's available to him, and as long as he doesn't hire an agent, he can come back. Frankly, its a great chance for Wilter to go through the process and see where he stands. I think he'll be back when all is said and done.

X 100! His game on defense needs work.

hooter73
02-07-2015, 09:44 PM
I miss bigs that play above the rim.

BigZagFan
02-07-2015, 09:54 PM
KW reminds me of Doug McDermott, who is averaging 3 pts per game for the Chicago Bulls. Great college player - big hat, no cows

And I love KW. He is an awesome college player, but the NBA is based on defense. Watch the Spurs. If you don't play defense, you sit. Ask Austin Daye...

thespywhozaggedme
02-07-2015, 09:57 PM
Bonners got 40 lbs on Kyle. Kyle's built like a 17 year old.
I also believe he'll sniff the NBA. There is always room for a 6'10 3pt specialist. Bonner has made a career out of it. Just needs the right fit.

Birddog
02-07-2015, 10:00 PM
Kyle is really skilled offensively but I'm afraid if he were in the NBA he'd be tossed around like a dog's chew toy.

Baseline
02-07-2015, 11:19 PM
I think Kyle is making a mistake. he has the skills, but not the body! I think Kyle should spend another year trying to build muscle and work very hard on defense and rebounding. I don't know how much you can physically change when you have to play, maybe that's an impossibility.

What ever Kyle decides I wish him the best, he has added to the Zag legacy and it is appreciated by all I'm sure.

hooter73
02-08-2015, 08:19 AM
Im not surprised at the KW idea. He went through his first two years, important years, playing with guys that are now making tons of cash playing pro. There is a reason they are pros and he is not yet though. I dont think he will get any better than he is now with another summer and season of work. That can either mean to him to go take the money and play D league then Euro, or have another amazing year of college ball. If he just wants to get on with it then good luck to him. if he wants to continue a dang impressive college career, Awesome. Wont be surprised when/if he calls it a day and moves on.

john montana
02-08-2015, 08:26 AM
Put me in the this really sucks camp. I love the kid...watched him in high school, and will be happy for him but sad to see him go. He should have come to gu out of the gate, so to finally see him playing is awesome...I want more.

Marcus
02-08-2015, 08:38 AM
Our success in March will have a lot to do with it. If he has a great tournament and the team gets through a couple weekends it will definitely put him on the NBA radar. He will need that exposure against NBA level athletes to turn the scouts into believers. If he dominates on offense and its in a deep tourney run, it's good for everyone.

DixieZag
02-08-2015, 08:40 AM
Since I'll bet he's not sure, maybe we should wait a month or two to dissect it?

I think Mac's role is even more interesting. It might be very hard not to have him on the floor as much as physically possible. We haven't seen it yet, b/c it hasn't been needed, but he's also a scorer, not a specialist.

jazzdelmar
02-08-2015, 10:22 AM
KW reminds me of Doug McDermott, who is averaging 3 pts per game for the Chicago Bulls. Great college player - big hat, no cows

And I love KW. He is an awesome college player, but the NBA is based on defense. Watch the Spurs. If you don't play defense, you sit. Ask Austin Daye...

KW is not close to the player McBuckets was/is.

RenoZag
02-08-2015, 10:40 AM
How has this post not blown this thread up? If true, this is the biggest Zag news in years. UGH!

Seems like there's a new round of "biggest Zag news in years" every week.

Hard to get worked up about NEXT year when so many good things are happening THIS year. But that's just me.

Once the '14-'15 season concludes, we'll have nearly 7 months to kibitz about the next edition of GU hoops.

gonzagafan62
02-08-2015, 11:03 AM

Hard to get worked up about NEXT year when so many good things are happening THIS year. But that's just me.

Once the '14-'15 season concludes, we'll have nearly 7 months to kibbutz about the next edition of GU hoops.

Bingo Reno. I love THIS team right now. Love the memories of old, but hard to look At the future when we don't even know recruits/transfers and the real meat of the team. Plus a #1 seed hangs in the balance .... Love it

Mantua
02-08-2015, 11:10 AM

Once the '14-'15 season concludes, we'll have nearly 7 months to kibbutz about the next edition of GU hoops.

Are you planning a trip to Israel?

(Kibitz?)

:D

ZagHouse
02-08-2015, 11:16 AM
Would be interesting to see if Morrison has had any conversations with Kyle to share his experiences and let him know what he needs for the next level. And, if that could influence his decision to stay another year. Not that they're the same player, but there are some similarities especially on the defensive end.

RenoZag
02-08-2015, 12:13 PM
Are you planning a trip to Israel?

(Kibitz?)

:D:p

whoops. . .

Nevada Don
02-08-2015, 12:18 PM
If true that Wiltjer will leave after his junior year for the pro's, the timing may not be the best, but I have further disappointing news for Zag fans. It is unlikely that that any of the Saint Mary's underclassmen will leave the Gaels next year for the pro's. Sorry to dash your hopes. I know you were probably hoping that in addition to our starting five graduating after this year, that some of our other players would also vacate the Hills of Moraga.

As odd as it seems, we are actually looking forward to our team for the next few years, not withstanding the rumor that Omar is petitioning for one more year of eligibility.

MDABE80
02-08-2015, 12:31 PM
KW is not close to the player McBuckets was/is.

Agreed. It's his first year. He'll be a great one.........takes a while.

webspinnre
02-08-2015, 12:44 PM
Why are people saying he WILL leave, when the post said the he was looking into the possibility of leaving?

RenoZag
02-08-2015, 01:22 PM
If true that Wiltjer will leave after his junior year for the pro's, the timing may not be the best, but I have further disappointing news for Zag fans. It is unlikely that that any of the Saint Mary's underclassmen will leave the Gaels next year for the pro's. Sorry to dash your hopes. I know you were probably hoping that in addition to our starting five graduating after this year, that some of our other players would also vacate the Hills of Moraga.

As odd as it seems, we are actually looking forward to our team for the next few years, not withstanding the rumor that Omar is petitioning for one more year of eligibility.

Not sure anyone asked about the status of next year's Gaels squad but thanks for the off-topic reply anyway, Nevada Don.

seacatfan
02-08-2015, 01:35 PM
Not sure anyone asked about the status of next year's Gaels squad but thanks for the off-topic reply anyway, Nevada Don.

I believe it was sarcasm. If GU loses Wiltjer but has Sabonis to plug into his starting spot, while St. Mary's is losing their entire starting lineup...well we'll probably be okay either way. In fact earlier in this thread there was speculation about how it would be impossible to keep Sabonis out of the starting lineup next season.

Nevada Don
02-08-2015, 02:59 PM
I believe it was sarcasm. If GU loses Wiltjer but has Sabonis to plug into his starting spot, while St. Mary's is losing their entire starting lineup...well we'll probably be okay either way. In fact earlier in this thread there was speculation about how it would be impossible to keep Sabonis out of the starting lineup next season.

Yes, it was sarcasm. Gonzaga has an abundance of talent riches so it's a little different to gauge your concerns with the problems most other WCC teams face. However, I certainly do not begrudge GU for wanting the absolute best players you can possibly have. That's part of loving your team.

gonzagafan62
02-08-2015, 03:23 PM

Hahahaha hahahaha love it don !!!! Great stuff. Made my day

3zagda
02-08-2015, 07:26 PM
This year is a great year for us Zag fans. As Few said earlier, we all need to enjoy the journey. We need to keep that in mind and enjoy the ride.
I expect most of us understand if the Zags go far, we may loose some undergrads to the NBA, or to the pros somewhere.
The discussion here is that Kyle may go, but I think another concern is Shem may go. For a month or more(since the Arizona game?) he has been a force on the block and difficult to stop. I understand he has weaknesses, but he is huge and you can not teach that. He has developed a very soft touch and I think the NBA( and definitely Euro teams) will be interested in PK.
Here on the GU boards we have heard that Ryan sometimes dominates in practice. If he is doing that well, Shem may see this is as the best time for him to go.
Anyone else think Shem may jump?

thespywhozaggedme
02-08-2015, 07:42 PM
This is a copy and paste of post #36:

Why are people saying he WILL leave, when the post said the he was looking into the possibility of leaving?

ZagaZags
02-08-2015, 08:47 PM
I have to agree with Coach Few on this one, sit back and enjoy this season. I have all the confidence in the world with this staff GU has in place, to keep things going for many years to come.

DixieZag
02-09-2015, 07:30 AM
If we've seen anything in the last few years, it's that we don't even know who all may be coming in, thus trying to put the puzzle pieces together is (fun) but not even very helpful. It's like last year trying to figure everything out without Wesley, Mac, or even sure about Sabonis.

I get that it is fun, it's just also impossible.

WallaWallaZag
02-09-2015, 08:02 AM
add me as another who expected wiltjer to leave after this year as long as he was productive...he's technically a senior and will have his degree already (due to the redshirt). whatever jump in terms of skill and physical development that he potentially had, he also would have made already during the redshirt. he's not going to significantly improve with another year and his nba stock will be determined by the end of this year. considering that he won't be making the big bucks of a 1st round draft pick (like adam), it's in his financial best interests to leave and start cashing checks as soon as possible, especially considering how short his potential basketball career might be. 1 year difference in a 5 or even 10 year career is huge, and as with any athlete the threat of injury always exists.

americasteam
02-09-2015, 08:22 AM
add me as another who expected wiltjer to leave after this year as long as he was productive...he's technically a senior and will have his degree already (due to the redshirt). whatever jump in terms of skill and physical development that he potentially had, he also would have made already during the redshirt. he's not going to significantly improve with another year and his nba stock will be determined by the end of this year. considering that he won't be making the big bucks of a 1st round draft pick (like adam), it's in his financial best interests to leave and start cashing checks as soon as possible, especially considering how short his potential basketball career might be. 1 year difference in a 5 or even 10 year career is huge, and as with any athlete the threat of injury always exists.

I agree with the above exactly. I expect Wiltjer to be gone, and believe that will be the best move for him.

Very possible we lose our starting 5, as there's at least a decent chance Karnowski goes after this year also.

We would be very young and inexperienced next year, and also extremely slim in the 4-5 position w/just Sabonis and Edwards. Nunez gone unless his redshirt appeal comes through. And no new signees this past November which will be coming in. Europe? Juco players? 5th year Transfers?

Will be an opportunity for Few and staff to really use their coaching skills!

Enjoy this year guys. Next year's starting 5 could be entirely different!

maynard g krebs
02-09-2015, 01:11 PM
I agree with the above exactly. I expect Wiltjer to be gone, and believe that will be the best move for him.

Very possible we lose our starting 5, as there's at least a decent chance Karnowski goes after this year also.

Agree on Wiltjer; he pretty much is what he's going to be, with incremental improvement that comes with age over the next 5-7 yrs.

But I think Karnowski has a lot of room for growth left on the college level and would benefit greatly from a senior year. Big men take longer to catch up with their bodies, and if he continues to get leaner and quicker and develops his right hand and the midrange jumper, he has a real shot at becoming a first rounder in another year because of his size and skill level in terms of post scoring and passing. The coaches should be able to sell him on this; seems to be in his best interest.

DixieZag
02-09-2015, 01:15 PM
I refuse to give up on Wiltjer as not coming back. I might well be in denial (no, I am), but I think he is enjoying being here. Next year's team would be his team, not Gary and Kevin's. He might look around and decide things are pretty good. I also do not think there is nothing to add. Another year of working on his inside game might be extremely important in opening up those doors. This is his first year applying those post moves, etc. He might come in next year as a pre-season AA.

I'm in denial and quite happy with it, thank you.

cjm720
02-09-2015, 01:17 PM
Odd to me that we have two internet "sources" that suggest, first, Perks is gone after 4 years no matter how much eligibility may remain and, second, Wiltjer is gone after this year no matter that he'd have another year of eligibility. Beyond the fact that we don't know these anonymous posters and their "sources" these decisions make little common sense from the players' perspectives IMO.

zag buddy
02-09-2015, 01:20 PM
I think it will depend on whether or not he is projected in the top 15 and also what does next years draft look like.

Kiddwell
02-09-2015, 01:58 PM
Is there a pro-prospects web site listing Wiltjer as a first rounder? :link:

Don't really think he's another Olynyk (yet). Cannot see him leaving early. Never even entered this fan's mind. The flip side is Kiddwell thought Louisville would beat Virginnie, so who knows? :explode:

:]

seacatfan
02-09-2015, 02:14 PM
It used to be if you weren't projected as a first rounder, you don't go early. That seems to have gone out the window. Now if you don't project to improve significantly with another year, you go now, regardless of projected draft position. That was definitely the case with Nick Johnson from Arizona last year. He was a mid second rounder. He was briefly called up but has spent most of the season in the D league. I don't understand why you would opt for that rather than returning to college and possibly competing for a National Title, but most concluded it was a good business decision. He was never going to be a first rounder, so just move on and get started with the pro career, whether it's D league or overseas or whatever. Wiltjer could be a 3 point shooting specialist in the NBA, but he has physical limitations (strength, athleticism) that would be hard to overcome. I cannot see anyone spending a 1st round pick on him, and wouldn't be surprised to see him go undrafted if he declared. You never know though.

maynard g krebs
02-09-2015, 02:49 PM
It used to be if you weren't projected as a first rounder, you don't go early. That seems to have gone out the window. Now if you don't project to improve significantly with another year, you go now, regardless of projected draft position. That was definitely the case with Nick Johnson from Arizona last year. He was a mid second rounder. He was briefly called up but has spent most of the season in the D league. I don't understand why you would opt for that rather than returning to college and possibly competing for a National Title, but most concluded it was a good business decision. He was never going to be a first rounder, so just move on and get started with the pro career, whether it's D league or overseas or whatever. Wiltjer could be a 3 point shooting specialist in the NBA, but he has physical limitations (strength, athleticism) that would be hard to overcome. I cannot see anyone spending a 1st round pick on him, and wouldn't be surprised to see him go undrafted if he declared. You never know though.

Isaiah Thomas of UW is another example. Was still gonna be 5'8 or whatever after his sr year, so he became the last pick of the draft and is surprisingly (to me at least) successful in the NBA.

MDABE80
02-09-2015, 03:20 PM
If I was Wiljer, I'd throw my hat in the ring without an agent. He seriously needs more footwork skills on O and D. But if a team needs a very tall 3, he'd be decent. o to the camps. Get an idea where he needs to improve. I'm thinking they'll send him back for another of work. Who knows though? I'd like to see him back that BUT if he's gonna go somewhere no matter where "somewhere" is, I wish him the best.
With this season behind him, he'll be a preseason AA if he continues.

Baseline
02-09-2015, 03:52 PM
What will affect this is how deep GU goes this year and what type of game Kyle puts up against the more athletic talent. If this goes well, i think we could be surprised how well he does in the draft.

Zagdawg
02-09-2015, 03:58 PM
As long as Kyle plays within the system and maintains the team first mentality we are going to be fine this year-- if the last games/dance turn into his audition for the NBA --then it could go poorly for the Zags-- as we will need to be a solid team to make our run in the dance.

We will cross the end of season bridge when we come to it.

Vanzagger
02-09-2015, 04:15 PM
Isaiah Thomas of UW is another example. Was still gonna be 5'8 or whatever after his sr year, so he became the last pick of the draft and is surprisingly (to me at least) successful in the NBA.

Our ideas of successful are two different things. I clicked on his career playoff stats and as I suspected he didn't have any. He better play well down the stretch or that 8th spot will be swiped from Phoenix. Which is too bad because I was excited about the Suns' upside.

maynard g krebs
02-09-2015, 04:25 PM
Our ideas of successful are two different things. I clicked on his career playoff stats and as I suspected he didn't have any. He better play well down the stretch or that 8th spot will be swiped from Phoenix. Which is too bad because I was excited about the Suns' upside.

Um, ok, the last pick in the draft who is an NBA starter with a 20 ppg average and 6+ assists in his third season and a multimillion dollar contract isn't successful because his bottom feeder, small market team didn't make the playoffs. Got it. Thanks for helping me out. Always appreciate your input.

seacatfan
02-09-2015, 04:26 PM

Tough critic. He was on some train wreck teams with Sacramento earlier, and making the playoffs in the Western Conference is always difficult. Thomas isn't a player that's gonna carry an NBA team to the playoffs on his own. Don't you think his regular season stats exceed what would have been reasonable expectations for him? I'd say similar to another mighty mite former UW guard Nate Robinson, his pro career has blown expectations out of the water.

MDABE80
02-09-2015, 05:15 PM
With the season we're having, AND with our history, I don't think our slots will be vacant long. Aftrall, we were no 1 in 2013 and likely in 2015. It's a slow process to become consistent in rankings, seeds and such. Our success will bring us very good players. WCC might be an issue as likely is Spokane (thought to be the old Omaha just on the West Coast) . Few, Donnie and surely Tommy haven't let us down yet. Kids will come. If Karno AND wiltjer skate, we will need those spots filled. Lots of super JC's available as is a whole new batch of nre kids to train. Transfers always show up for us. We have a very nice core returning.......I'm thinking we'll be top 10 to begin the season.

gonstu
02-09-2015, 05:48 PM
As long as Kyle plays within the system and maintains the team first mentality we are going to be fine this year-- if the last games/dance turn into his audition for the NBA --then it could go poorly for the Zags-- as we will need to be a solid team to make our run in the dance.

We will cross the end of season bridge when we come to it.

This is what I wondered about too.