PDA

View Full Version : Few on the Doug Gottlieb Show

CDC84
02-06-2015, 02:36 PM
You can download the podcast of the interview right here:

http://gottlieb.radio.cbssports.com/audio/the-doug-gottlieb-show/

CDC84
02-06-2015, 03:18 PM
I love it when Few said, "I think we lead the country in banked in three point shots against us." So true.

TheZagPhish
02-06-2015, 03:56 PM
Good stuff. Thank you!

PS.
Gottlieb doesn't bogart the conversation.

Sarenyon
02-06-2015, 03:57 PM
Liked that Coach really believes we can play with anyone on any night. And that we are "adding and extra gear" with the addition and increased presence of EMc.

gonzagafan62
02-06-2015, 05:07 PM
I just got done lost in to his interview! Great great stuff. Love few!

Zag Man
02-06-2015, 06:08 PM
Thank you for sharing this! Great stuff!

gmo
02-06-2015, 06:22 PM
Good stuff. Thank you!

PS.
Gottlieb doesn't bogart the conversation.

Totally agree... it isn't often a radio host will stop talking and let the interviewee really finish their thoughts. Really well done by both Gottlieb and Few there.

Zagceo
02-06-2015, 06:51 PM
THX 84.

I loved his point about "getting after it in practice" Domas against Przem or Domas against Wiltjer I'm sure the speed and intensity is what happened that Domas got busted up in practice.

I remember making a comment about how great practice must be with such depth and some board member said thats not how practices work……well from the coaches mouth they're scrimmaging hard and having a ball!

jim77
02-06-2015, 11:28 PM
I liked the coaches answer for trading a deep run for some mediocre seasons. I agree. I like the fact that the Zags are always competitive....and I like their playing style.

Zaga
02-07-2015, 05:37 AM
Everyone on this forum needs to listen to this. Absolutely impressed with coach Few.

JPtheBeasta
02-07-2015, 07:10 AM
THX 84.

I loved his point about "getting after it in practice" Domas against Przem or Domas against Wiltjer I'm sure the speed and intensity is what happened that Domas got busted up in practice.

I remember making a comment about how great practice must be with such depth and some board member said thats not how practices work……well from the coaches mouth they're scrimmaging hard and having a ball!

+1

JPtheBeasta
02-07-2015, 08:18 AM
This was a very timely interview for us psychopathic Zags fans who come to these message boards daily and argue the "finer" points of GU basketball. If I was a media person who was preparing for a game or a big interview I would make it easier on myself (cheat?) and just go to the team message boards for the stories. Either Gottlieb is clairvoyant, was the benefit of extremely good random chance, or he visited this board, because he addressed a lot of issues we have been talking about lately.

gonzagafan62
02-07-2015, 08:27 AM
This was a very timely interview for us psychopathic Zags fans who come to these message boards daily and argue the "finer" points of GU basketball. If I was a media person who was preparing for a game or a big interview I would make it easier on myself (cheat?) and just go to the team message boards for the stories. Either Gottlieb is clairvoyant, was the benefit of extremely good random chance, or he visited this board, because he addressed a lot of issues we have been talking about lately.

He did didn't he? It was a well thought out interview. While I find it hard to believe that he would come to our message Board, ya never know .... Haha :) '62

Zagceo
02-07-2015, 08:30 AM
I also liked the comment "not my proudest moment as a son of a minister" it shows his fire and discipline but also revealed in Byron's interview yesterday Coach did not address the team about it. Its over move forward.

GonzagasaurusFlex
02-07-2015, 08:59 AM
Thanks for posting CDC84.

Great question from Gottlieb when he asked: "Is this your best team relative to the college basketball landscape this season" (rather than the typical, "Is this your best team ever?"..which no coach wants to answer).

Coach Few's point that he's not sure there's ever been a team as dominant as Kentucky (except maybe Memphis with Derek Rose) was spot on. Also found it interesting that of all the teams he could have mentioned as other juggernauts this season, he only mentioned Virginia and Arizona.
Great, honest answer with clinching comment from Few 'our guys can play with anyone.'

Man it is so nice being a Zag fan this season in particular!!!

JPtheBeasta
02-07-2015, 09:13 AM
He did didn't he? It was a well thought out interview. While I find it hard to believe that he would come to our message Board, ya never know .... Haha :) '62

It wouldn't be too hard to task one of his Millennial minions on staff to hop over here real quick like ;] I suppose Twitter grabs a lot of these stories as well (like the Wiltjer one).

I guess I left out a fourth option, that what we are concerned about right now is also what anybody who is really into college basketball would be in tune with as it relates to GU. I, personally, would cheat, because I wouldn't be able to keep up with the stories of every team. But maybe that's a big reason he is on the air and I am not...

DixieZag
02-07-2015, 09:30 AM

I suspect it happens all the time. It's not that they need the board's analysis, it's a way to identify unique issues, and good journalists do "their homework." There is nothing wrong or lazy about reading what the fans that follow the team the closest think the issues with the team are. They take the good ones and ignore the bad ones. I don't think one can go wrong with the presumption that there is a lot to be learned by listening to intense conversations of others.

ETA: It was, definitely, one of the best interviews I've heard Few do in a long time. He is clearly enjoying coaching this team (I think it comes from his love of Gary and Kevin, and the tone those two set) and he's opened up a little more than usual, maybe feels a little freer to do that which he loathes, talk about himself and his team.

rennis
02-07-2015, 09:32 AM
I also liked the comment "not my proudest moment as a son of a minister" it shows his fire and discipline but also revealed in Byron's interview yesterday Coach did not address the team about it. Its over move forward.

The piece on Wiltjer was probably my favorite segment too. "We just don't do that." Well said. (Even though the dunk didn't offend me personally)

CDC84
02-07-2015, 10:59 AM
Gottlieb mentioned that Seth Davis said in the studio that Pangos only took one shot during the Santa Clara game. Seth felt there was something wrong with this. Few said that Doug should tell Seth that the Zags shot 70% from the floor in that game (it was really 69%).

CDC84
02-07-2015, 10:59 AM
Link has changed. You can listen to the interview at the bottom of this page:

http://gottlieb.radio.cbssports.com/2015/02/06/mark-few-exceptionally-deep-this-year/

abarefootboy
02-07-2015, 12:49 PM
My heart just bursts full open with pride and joy and gratitude that we all are blessed with the finest basketball coach and gentleman this moment on planet Earth !

Zagdawg
02-07-2015, 04:06 PM
Solid interview.

We are fortunate to have him leading our boys.

Go Zags

bballbeachbum
02-07-2015, 06:41 PM
very much enjoyed it, thank you CDC

DixieZag
02-07-2015, 06:45 PM
My heart just bursts full open with pride and joy and gratitude that we all are blessed with the finest basketball coach and gentleman this moment on planet Earth !

Every time that I see your avatar out of the corner of my mind, I assume it is Francis. And, when I do so, I always sort of think, "that's an impressive thought for a goat. Our little cheese maker has come a long way." And then I look closer and realize, "nah, Francis is still..."challenged."

Good point, I agree.