PDA

View Full Version : Gonzaga vs Santa Clara...post game thoughts

Reborn
02-05-2015, 10:31 PM
It was a great second half. I was a little nervous at half. Santa Clara and it's fans were HOT, HOT, HOT. Thank God for half-times. They must have cooled off. Although they come out and hit a 3 right away. Brownridge was on fire tonight, but we did a better job the second half. I thought McClellan came in that second half and shut him down. Great defense by him. We got to see tonight what he can do to help Gonzaga.

Wiltjer was soooooooo good the second half. I don't know why Few waits to go to him until the second half. Wiltjer could have scored 30 tonight. Oh well. Few really will need Sabonis come March. Sabonis, played poorly the first half. I think he must have had 5 turnovers. However, Sabonis played much better the second half. He almost had another double-double with 9 and 9.m I thought Bell played so good. He was so hot, but Gonzaga, of course, stopped going to him. But he did get a couple baskets the second half. He ended with 17 I think. No it was Wesley who had the seventeen and Bell had 16. Wiltjer had 22. Pangos only took one shot the whole game. GU shot 69% for the game and 83% from behind the arc. The Zags made 29 baskets on 19 turnovers. Pretty darn good. It was the turnovers the first half that Hurt GU. They had ten. Not good. All in all, it was a good game. It was cool to see Santa Clara fans get so wild the first half. It's awesome how the Zags pack every arena they go to. They have a big one Saturday.

Go Zags!!!
One game at a time!

Mantua
02-05-2015, 10:33 PM
I'm too worn out by that game.

Great second half!

zag67
02-05-2015, 10:38 PM
Reborn, well stated. I also thought that McClellan played a super set of minutes in the second half. The first half had so e very "weird" offensive fouls called on us. That made our turnover count higher than I thought it should be. Our defense was great and they worked their tails off. Congrats and see them again on Saturday.

Marcus
02-05-2015, 10:42 PM
Horrible turnovers in the first half combined with hot shooting from SC had me worried a little bit.

Byron played great on both ends. I really liked the new wrinkle to get him touches in the post. His size and strength there really showed.

Eric really came in and changed the complexion of the game. He played great on D and his length really bothered his man. He's a great change of pace running the point too. He is great at pushing the pace and does he ever get the ball up the court fast.

Wiltjer was just amazing. For someone that doesn't look strong, he sure has done a great job of getting and maintaining post position. And great touch everywhere on the court. I thought he did a bit better on D too.

I am really gushing over Sabonis. He had so many key rebounds. He has come a long way in a short time and has adjusted quickly to the way the games are being called.

Zagdawg
Saw a good number of Zag fans at the arena also.

I am dreading seeing Brownridge for 2 more years and Hubbard for 3 more years (Clark and Johnson are seniors).

It is great to see multiple guys have solid games--it was like they each stepped up at different parts of the game ---who has the hot hand and give them the ball.

Sabonis with only 1 foul was great to see--he had a couple of great boards that extended our offensive opportunities.

Emacs speed and defense was a difference maker in slowing Brownridge.

San Francisco is going to be like a wounded rat after their loss to Portland ---hope our boys are focused and put them away early.

Go Zags

gonzagafan62
Very happy with the outcome of the game. We played tough nosed basketball and found a way to win. I'll take it. On to Saturday

GonzaGAW
02-05-2015, 10:48 PM
so we are 40 minutes post game, and we have 3 comments on our great shooting at 69%, and 3 comments about the game in general, which was pretty darn good, and 60 comments about an end of game dunk.

this board is so predictable, we go for the controversy even when it is so unimportant. it happened, coach addressed it, move on.

now as to this thread, I thought it was a great game, even down 6 I knew we were going to win. coach says to the players, just keep sawing, in this case just keep on getting the shot that is good for you and we will eventually pull away. I did not see a player take a shot that was outside his comfort zone, or a shot coach would complain about (oops except for the last shot). you take away the first half turnovers and all other aspects of the game grade out very well.

last observation, that late hard foul on gary seemed to hurt his wrist, he missed 3 free throws after that and was shaking and flexing his wrist and hand...............hope its going to be alright.

Baseline
02-05-2015, 10:53 PM
This kind of game is great for the Zags, it puts them in tough positions to battle hard and figure out what to do. This type of game really helps prepare the Zags for the tournament and adversity.
Some real positives to take away. Westley broke out of a bit of a slump and showed how dominant he can be. Sabonis continues to show he is learning and can adjust during games. Mac showed he is really solid on defense and gives us a person to help or spell bell. He also looks very relaxed with the ball, he might be a real scoring surprise when Few takes the handcuffs off.
There are some real teaching moments for the coaches on the game tape.

DixieZag
02-05-2015, 10:56 PM
I thought we showed great mental toughness. They didn't get rattled, and they used their defense to turn the game around. That is something that has been mentioned around here many times, that we want them to really pick up the defense. Tonight showed why. SCU played extremely well and yet couldn't respond once we turned the corner.

I like our scoring distribution.

One quibble. I don't care who is guarding him or how hot other people are, I think it is dangerous for the team to get used to having Pangos put up only one shot all game. Yes, it's good he's doing great getting the ball where needed. OTOH, the guy is shooting almost 50% from 3 in the WCC. We can't afford to not look to create 5 or six shots a game. Just my opinion. It's not a huge deal, I just don't want it to be a pattern.

Reborn
02-05-2015, 11:02 PM
I liked the dunk at the end of the game. A lot. Why not relax a little for a change and some a little fun. The game was over. Few is so serious all the time it seems. Relax Mark Few. If you talk to Wiltjer I 'll bet you he had a reason for it. I mean if Santa Clara can push and shove and foul the way they did at the end of the game? Why can't he dunk on them and make a statement like, "And take that!" I really didn't mind because honestly I can't stand Santa Clara!!!

Go Zags!!!

seacatfan
02-05-2015, 11:10 PM
last observation, that late hard foul on gary seemed to hurt his wrist, he missed 3 free throws after that and was shaking and flexing his wrist and hand...............hope its going to be alright.

I certainly noticed the missed FT's, but somehow I didn't see him shaking his wrist. I really hope it's nothing. He's had more than enough injuries already in his career. We need a healthy GBJ stroking 3's and driving to the bucket down the stretch.

seacatfan
02-05-2015, 11:12 PM
One quibble. I don't care who is guarding him or how hot other people are, I think it is dangerous for the team to get used to having Pangos put up only one shot all game. Yes, it's good he's doing great getting the ball where needed. OTOH, the guy is shooting almost 50% from 3 in the WCC. We can't afford to not look to create 5 or six shots a game. Just my opinion. It's not a huge deal, I just don't want it to be a pattern.

Yeah, I agree. Pangos doesn't need to score 15 or 20 every game, but something doesn't seem right if he's not even a scoring threat.

GonzaGAW
02-05-2015, 11:15 PM

I agree, you know kevin's mantra, shoot when you're hot and shoot to get hot. you can't do either if you are not shooting.

one other thing off topic, but I love the way sabonis gives a one handed pass after a defensive rebound. it is never lazy, never leads to a turn over, it just looks so cool and manly, like I got this rock, I earned it and now lets get down to some business heading the other way.

zag buddy
02-05-2015, 11:19 PM
Kyle W. made an error. What he should have done is shoot a 3 pointer behind his back.

Marcus
02-05-2015, 11:20 PM
Yeah, I agree. Pangos doesn't need to score 15 or 20 every game, but something doesn't seem right if he's not even a scoring threat.

It does seem really strange I agree, one thing though is that he draws his defender out past the 3 pt line every time even if he's not shooting. His man is never in any position to play help D. I did think they tried a bit more to get him shots when Eric was running point but the inside game was working so it wasn't that important.

seasontixholder
02-05-2015, 11:22 PM
KP is playing too many minutes. Some of our sketchy plays are the result of it. He's often late coming to the ball to help out a mate in trouble. He will give up the ball sometimes, rather than work some more (the poor decision to pass to PK near the right corner in the 2nd half for a turnover is an example). He also does not force as many fouls in bonus situations as much as he could.

It is not his fault and I am not criticizing him a whit. So many minutes is the coach's decision that I agree with. It is a necessary compromise, but it is what it is. Losing Perkins has been our worst luck. Kevin is soldiering through, but there might come a day where it comes back to bite.

Zagceo
02-05-2015, 11:25 PM
I liked the dunk at the end of the game. A lot. Why not relax a little for a change and some a little fun. The game was over. Few is so serious all the time it seems. Relax Mark Few. If you talk to Wiltjer I 'll bet you he had a reason for it. I mean if Santa Clara can push and shove and foul the way they did at the end of the game? Why can't he dunk on them and make a statement like, "And take that!" I really didn't mind because honestly I can't stand Santa Clara!!!

Go Zags!!!

Agree……..

zag buddy
02-05-2015, 11:26 PM
The announcers stated that coach Keating said Kevin Pangos was the best point guard in America.

RenoZag
02-05-2015, 11:27 PM
Seth Davis & Doug G. were commenting on the Zags game ( lead story on the CBS Sports Network hoops review show tonight) and both gave a lot of credit to Santa Clara for putting up a great fight, had high praise for Brownridge, then gave credit to the Zags D, the versatility of their offense, Zags D being better than past years. . .and both said they would not be stunned to see GU in the Elite 8 (or better )

Davis said if the Zags win out they might be the second highest # 1 seed on Selection Sunday. Gottleib didn't agree but they cut to a commercial before he had a chance to verbalize it.

My take: Competition makes you tougher, and the WCC gives the Zags all they can handle when they take to the road. I'm fed up with fans who say the Zags aren't prepared for the tourney because the WCC doesn't have great teams. Bullsh!t. Zags were tested tonight and had to dig out a gritty win on the road.

If those kinds of games don't get them ready for March, then nothing will.

Beat the Dons !

CdAZagFan
02-05-2015, 11:31 PM
That was a strange feeling at halftime being down - and then immediately getting down further right after half. But again, I didn't see the Zags get rattled at all. And putting McClellan on Brownridge to spell GBJ was great - he was in great shape to chase Brownridge all over the court. Great to see Gary shoot it so well - wish he could have kept it up all game, but he did hit a couple of big ones down the stretch. Wesley and Wiltjer were just so steady. I was hesitant to say this team could go undefeated in league (just because it is so hard to do) but this team just keeps getting it done - with everyone contributing.

DixieZag
02-05-2015, 11:45 PM
That was a strange feeling at halftime being down - and then immediately getting down further right after half. But again, I didn't see the Zags get rattled at all. And putting McClellan on Brownridge to spell GBJ was great - he was in great shape to chase Brownridge all over the court. Great to see Gary shoot it so well - wish he could have kept it up all game, but he did hit a couple of big ones down the stretch. Wesley and Wiltjer were just so steady. I was hesitant to say this team could go undefeated in league (just because it is so hard to do) but this team just keeps getting it done - with everyone contributing.

It is funny that we (I) was a bit panicky about just being down 2 at halftime when it seemed obvious we would not turn it over that much in the second. Kentucky was down far more than that, at home, to Columbia. One announcer in another game just flat out said, "Gonzaga will not lose another game until March" as if it were a done deal. No, we will have to really bare down and there will be games that will not be easy.

Virginia Zags Fan
02-05-2015, 11:45 PM
Horrible turnovers in the first half combined with hot shooting from SC had me worried a little bit.

Byron played great on both ends. I really liked the new wrinkle to get him touches in the post. His size and strength there really showed.

Eric really came in and changed the complexion of the game. He played great on D and his length really bothered his man. He's a great change of pace running the point too. He is great at pushing the pace and does he ever get the ball up the court fast.

Wiltjer was just amazing. For someone that doesn't look strong, he sure has done a great job of getting and maintaining post position. And great touch everywhere on the court. I thought he did a bit better on D too.

I am really gushing over Sabonis. He had so many key rebounds. He has come a long way in a short time and has adjusted quickly to the way the games are being called.

I was at the game and this is what I saw as well. The poor play at the end of that first half is what really got Santa Clara back into it. Instead of trying to make the easy play, the zags were a little too unselfish and turned it over as a result. Gary Bell Junior played really, really well. He played hard every play. Brownridge is just a little bit bigger than Gary. And they were running hard picks to get Browridge free. When Eric came in, He was really able to shut Brownridge down. Fresh legs and he is so long and quick. That is when GU made its run. Kevin played good D on Clark.

Santa Clara just could not match up with GU's bigs. At the end Wiltjer had his way as GU was isolating. Liked it. In the first half, I did not like his defensive intensity. The whole team picked up the intensity in the second half.

I had no problem with Kyle Wiltjer dunking at the end. When you're going to cheap shot Gary Ball Junior then that is what you deserve at the end. If this was baseball or hockey, Brownridge would either be hit by a ball or slammed into the wall for the cheap shot. I hope Gary's right hand is OK. He was really working it.

Kyle D. Had a tough game tonight. Hope he shakes it off and has a great game Saturday.

A great venue for college hoops. The SCU crowd stayed in it till the end.

Zagceo
02-06-2015, 12:20 AM
I was at the game and this is what I saw as well. The poor play at the end of that first half is what really got Santa Clara back into it. Instead of trying to make the easy play, the zags were a little too unselfish and turned it over as a result. Gary Bell Junior played really, really well. He played hard every play. Brownridge is just a little bit bigger than Gary. And they were running hard picks to get Browridge free. When Eric came in, He was really able to shut Brownridge down. Fresh legs and he is so long and quick. That is when GU made its run. Kevin played good D on Clark.

Santa Clara just could not match up with GU's bigs. At the end Wiltjer had his way as GU was isolating. Liked it. In the first half, I did not like his defensive intensity. The whole team picked up the intensity in the second half.

I had no problem with Kyle Wiltjer dunking at the end. When you're going to cheap shot Gary Ball Junior then that is what you deserve at the end. If this was baseball or hockey, Brownridge would either be hit by a ball or slammed into the wall for the cheap shot. I hope Gary's right hand is OK. He was really working it.

Kyle D. Had a tough game tonight. Hope he shakes it off and has a great game Saturday.

A great venue for college hoops. The SCU crowd stayed in it till the end.

Thanks for sharing I figured KW had his reason….no problem here either

SwainZag
02-06-2015, 12:22 AM
This is the type of game that Gonzaga loses in the past. The opposition gets hot, the crowd gets into it, they start forcing passes and forcing up shots and things get out of hand. The defense in the 2nd half was great. Hardly any 2nd chances, we worked the ball in on offense, multiple passes to find the matchups. I hear that it's better to lose before March, I disagree but I think games like this are needed. Games where they are behind and have to play more phases in the game then just cruise along. Great adjustments and good road win. Now go take care of business Saturday!

LongIslandZagFan
02-06-2015, 05:09 AM
How do you shoot 70+% in the first half and NOT have the lead... with a little help from the Zebras. Man, they gave SCU way too much leeway and gave no quarter to the Zags. Twice I saw Pangos put on the floor with no call. Now, there were a couple sloppy plays here and there that led to TOs... but by and large that game should have been over in the first half.

Zagger
02-06-2015, 06:15 AM
Turnovers really hurt GU in the 1st half. Only player who didn't turnover the ball was EMc. Just a 'what-if' .... If the Zags had around 1/3 the TOs (say 5 instead of 14) and those remaining 9 possessions had 70% scoring that's in the neighborhood of 12+ more points. We'd have easily scored in the 80s.
Hot shooting by the Zags! Gary only missed one shot (I also hope he wasn't injured - only 1 of 4 FTs).
I really liked the aggressiveness and accuracy of Wesley and Wiltjer - both had 7 of 10 FGs.
Interesting game and glad to see Santa Clara bring their best against the Zags yet the Zags pull out such a high shot %. That bodes very well for games to come. I feel we've yet to see a game by the Zags that really dazzles. This one minus the TOs may have been close.

http://www.fowlplaces.com/zags/espnboxguscu.jpg

Hoopaholic
02-06-2015, 07:52 AM
KP is playing too many minutes. Some of our sketchy plays are the result of it. He's often late coming to the ball to help out a mate in trouble. He will give up the ball sometimes, rather than work some more (the poor decision to pass to PK near the right corner in the 2nd half for a turnover is an example). He also does not force as many fouls in bonus situations as much as he could.

It is not his fault and I am not criticizing him a whit. So many minutes is the coach's decision that I agree with. It is a necessary compromise, but it is what it is. Losing Perkins has been our worst luck. Kevin is soldiering through, but there might come a day where it comes back to bite.

i think last night had more to do with santa clara being physical, holding and faceguarding all night long

bartruff1
02-06-2015, 07:56 AM
Kevin needs to get his hair cut and get in the game...

Zags11
02-06-2015, 07:58 AM
Bell couldnt stop brownridge last night and eric did a wonderful job on him. I loved the 1st 10min from bell as it was awesome to see. I wish he would of shot more then he did but oh well. I thought our team did very well and that we our one of the most mentally tough teams we hwve ever had. Enjoy this season. I feel something special is going to transpire in march.

SwainZag
02-06-2015, 08:06 AM
He dished out 6 assists, took 2 shots, made a 3 and got fouled on the other and made both free throws. The shot 70% from the field. Sure a few more points would have been nice but I would much rather see Pangos the distributor than the Pangos we saw late in the game against Arizona where he tried to do it all himself.

bartruff1
02-06-2015, 08:12 AM
I would rather he gets a haircut and takes 8 or so shots a game or more if he is hot...I will add that I have not shared this view with Few or Kevin or Kevin's girlfriend.

VinnyZag
02-06-2015, 08:21 AM
It's funny that we celebrate things like unselfishness, sharing the ball, getting it to the open man. Then, we get all worried when Pangos does all those things.

SwainZag
02-06-2015, 08:22 AM
But why force shots if he doesn't have a look and distribute to someone else? Bell was hot for a period, Kyle didn't miss in the 2nd half, Wesley had a big game.......and that's why I love this team. Shot selection over the vast majority of this season has been amazing. This team has the best shooting percentage since 91-92 Duke as a team.....that's pretty damn awesome.

Zag_Dad
02-06-2015, 08:46 AM
I would rather he gets a haircut and takes 8 or so shots a game or more if he is hot...I will add that I have not shared this view with Few or Kevin or Kevin's girlfriend.

I don't get this... the team won the game, shot close to 70% from the field and Pangos had 6 assists. I guess some people will always have a glass that is half empty mentality. Pango did his job and did it well... he found the open shooter(s) and was selfless in his distribution of the ball.

If you like to watch a team filled with players with a shoot first mentality I suggest you go over and watch UW. Enjoy the regular season as there hasn't been a post season appearance in three years (and counting).

GO ZAGS

amaronizag
02-06-2015, 09:02 AM
I've never understood Few's idea of playing KP anywhere other than the point. I mean we have the best floor general in the nation and you stick him over on the wing for most of the game?? He puts up one shot? There have been numerous posts of late about how our offense stalls when KP comes out of the game. It's painfully obvious that it stalls and we let other teams back in the game when he isn't running the point. So tonight he plays KP off point and we get our lunch handed to us until we put him back on the point. Yes there were other factors in our come back........GB knocked down 3 three's (before getting taken out.....that was a cooler), EMC really did a fabulous job on Brownridge, others played well and we killed them in the paint. But are we going to get those numbers in the paint against AZ, KY, Louisville, Duke? Can your offense only generate 42 shots a night in the NCAA tournament and beat ANYBODY? This pace of play and game plan mystified me........totally!! Fortunately KP was put back at the point long enough for a comeback, the defense and offense stepped up to the extent necessary to get a W, and we have the depth to wear them down, but this is 11-13 Santa Clara folks and this is the best game plan and execution we can muster? We should be putting up 60+ shots and going deep in the bench with an easy win against teams like this. A real head scratcher for me. VERY thankful for the W!!! Now we have to forget it, focus on SF, and win out the conference.

maineblackbear
02-06-2015, 09:56 AM
serious question: if Wiltjer and Karnowski both return -- how in the world do you deny Sabonis a starting spot?

SwainZag
02-06-2015, 10:13 AM
serious question: if Wiltjer and Karnowski both return -- how in the world do you deny Sabonis a starting spot?

Haha #firstworldproblems. And...question for another time!

seacatfan
02-06-2015, 10:26 AM

Well, how in the world would you send Wiltjer or Karnowski to the bench? Or do you start 3 bigs and have no wing? We all know Few likes to have plenty of guards/ballhandlers/playmakers on the floor as much as possible.

roxdoc
02-06-2015, 10:27 AM
Further to Amaroni's point - Few seemed to revert back to his strange substitution self of yester year. (Zigging instead of Zagging) Promptly put an end to a great start. I would like to think it was just a test to see "how will this work" It didn't, so hopefully the lesson was learned.

jazzdelmar
02-06-2015, 10:38 AM
Few's subbing continues a mystery. The O was perking and Bell was Jimmer-like for the first couple of minutes and then he gets pulled for KD. Who then made 3-4 bonehead plays. I get that Bell may have been tuckered but isn't that a great spot for Mac and move KP to the 2? KD's errors and 3 missed fouls by Karno gave SC added impetus at that point. In general, I would like to see Mac a whole lot earlier....and for longer. Both he and Wesley bring an abandon not usually seen in four year Zag players.

Otoh, Sabonis' 3 or 4 feisty rebounds in traffic at the end were brilliant plays that kept SC at bay, as was GB's corner 3.

jazzdelmar
02-06-2015, 10:39 AM

Sabonis will continue to get starter minutes and may actually start some. Karno would sit, no way you cannot play KW.

Marcus
02-06-2015, 10:56 AM
Few's subbing continues a mystery. The O was perking and Bell was Jimmer-like for the first couple of minutes and then he gets pulled for KD. Who then made 3-4 bonehead plays. I get that Bell may have been tuckered but isn't that a great spot for Mac and move KP to the 2? KD's errors and 3 missed fouls by Karno gave SC added impetus at that point. In general, I would like to see Mac a whole lot earlier....and for longer. Both he and Wesley bring an abandon not usually seen in four year Zag players.

Otoh, Sabonis' 3 or 4 feisty rebounds in traffic at the end were brilliant plays that kept SC at bay, as was GB's corner 3.

Eric is still on a minutes restriction. My guess is that Few saves him for the second half in case he needs to play extended minutes.

http://www.spokesman.com/blogs/sportslink/2015/feb/06/day-after-santa-clara/

"I chatted with McClellan at Tuesday’s media day and he told me he’s still limited to 20-25 minutes at practice. He said a couple weeks ago he was probably at 30%. He bumped that figured to 50-55 on Tuesday.

“It’s progressing,” McClellan said."

john montana
02-06-2015, 10:58 AM

It isn't like we have consistently seen KD play poorly...he's been great this year. He just wasn't last night, and he ended up on the bench pretty quickly. I can't blame few for going with KD ahead of Mac in the first half.

I did want to see more of Mac in the second. He was tired when he came out, but personally, I wanted him back in the game after a short rest. Few went with Bell, Pangos and Wesley though...hard to argue against those three. I thought he substituted pretty well last night...odd man out was Melson, who didn't handle the physical nature of the game well.

jazzdelmar
02-06-2015, 11:00 AM
Eric is still on a minutes restriction. My guess is that Few saves him for the second half in case he needs to play extended minutes.

http://www.spokesman.com/blogs/sportslink/2015/feb/06/day-after-santa-clara/

"I chatted with McClellan at Tuesday’s media day and he told me he’s still limited to 20-25 minutes at practice. He said a couple weeks ago he was probably at 30%. He bumped that figured to 50-55 on Tuesday.

“It’s progressing,” McClellan said."

Thx for the clarification.

amaronizag
02-06-2015, 11:21 AM
I agree with the above posters, DS was ferocious on a few of those rebounds.....tore them away!!!! Really impressed by that. As for next year, can KW play the 3 with DS at 4 and PK at 5???? Throw in EMC and we have a huge starting lineup. With more zone D it might work. If we go smaller, at least it would be nice to throw in that look on occasions. Thoughts??

bballbeachbum
02-06-2015, 11:34 AM
Seth Davis & Doug G. were commenting on the Zags game ( lead story on the CBS Sports Network hoops review show tonight) and both gave a lot of credit to Santa Clara for putting up a great fight, had high praise for Brownridge, then gave credit to the Zags D, the versatility of their offense, Zags D being better than past years. . .and both said they would not be stunned to see GU in the Elite 8 (or better )

Davis said if the Zags win out they might be the second highest # 1 seed on Selection Sunday. Gottleib didn't agree but they cut to a commercial before he had a chance to verbalize it.

My take: Competition makes you tougher, and the WCC gives the Zags all they can handle when they take to the road. I'm fed up with fans who say the Zags aren't prepared for the tourney because the WCC doesn't have great teams. Bullsh!t. Zags were tested tonight and had to dig out a gritty win on the road.

If those kinds of games don't get them ready for March, then nothing will.

Beat the Dons !

ok, being one who has recently questioned the WCCs ability to grindstone the Zags sharpness, I hear you Reno and I agree. having attended dozens and dozens of these Bay Area games over the many years, those teams and the challenge they present have earned my respect. I'm never surprised they put up a good fight, and the Zags get each team's best in those games, which is a good grindstone.

but just in that game I think some of the questions about the league's ability to prepare the Zags was on display, namely the Zags had the post whenever they wanted it, and when they face the kind of test like last night (which was great) but against a team which can challenge the post and deny that tempo control the Zags love, which I'd bet they will need to face, how will they respond? Maybe it will be great! the team is, as all know, versatile and multi-weaponed and unselfish, etc. but the point is we don't know from a test like last night. there's other things too imo, like facing a team with equal depth so it's harder to wear them down.

just trying to give a reasonable explanation for the position on the WCC. hey, if the Zags break through this year we can look back and say how the WCC helped prepare them for it.

final answer from me: WCC does a good job in some respects but still lags in others. will look to refrain from further comment on it

bballbeachbum
02-06-2015, 11:47 AM
on Emac, if he progresses in fitness and continues like he does why wouldn't he see the floor more and earlier? as already noted, he changed the game with his D on Brownridge, and when Brownridge started to get loose on Gary Few could turn to another great defender to get after him, kind of an awesome new twist in GU land. plus KP maybe could use some some rest down the stretch here tho it's tough to take him out, but perhaps it's Silas who may see lesser role? just asking, not saying Silas sucks or doesn't deserve minutes, but there's only so many minutes

Marcus
02-06-2015, 11:53 AM
ok, being one who has recently questioned the WCCs ability to grindstone the Zags sharpness, I hear you Reno and I agree. having attended dozens and dozens of these Bay Area games over the many years, those teams and the challenge they present have earned my respect. I'm never surprised they put up a good fight, and the Zags get each team's best in those games, which is a good grindstone.

but just in that game I think some of the questions about the league's ability to prepare the Zags was on display, namely the Zags had the post whenever they wanted it, and when they face the kind of test like last night (which was great) but against a team which can challenge the post and deny that tempo control the Zags love, which I'd bet they will need to face, how will they respond? Maybe it will be great! the team is, as all know, versatile and multi-weaponed and unselfish, etc. but the point is we don't know from a test like last night. there's other things too imo, like facing a team with equal depth so it's harder to wear them down.

just trying to give a reasonable explanation for the position on the WCC. hey, if the Zags break through this year we can look back and say how the WCC helped prepare them for it.

final answer from me: WCC does a good job in some respects but still lags in others. will look to refrain from further comment on it

I hear what you are saying ad I get it. The bigs seem to have an even bigger advantage over WCC post players. But, I think there are only a handful of teams that can match up with the front court and they will not have to play them until the elite 8 or possibly final 4 if we get there. So far we have played two teams with an inside presence that was worriesome, Arizona and St. Johns. I think our front court did great against both. Obekpa for St. Johns was a challenge as he was really athletic and a great shot blocker but he is not all that heavy. Karnowski is just so darn big and with the way he has been usig his body to get his hook shots off he negates a lot of the defenders athletisicm. And Domas keeps getting better and better, he is way more athletic than i thought he was and already really physically strong for a freshman. I havent seen him get pushed around yet. Wiltjer is a problem for so many reasons that we dont need to get into all of them.

All in all, The big guys have passed the tests this year. If we make it far enough to face Duke or UK and their size and skill, its all gravy in my mind.

JokerZag
02-06-2015, 12:01 PM
I don't have any issue with KP only taking 1 shot. He's the general out there and doesn't have to load the muzzle all game to be highly effective.
Impressed with McClellan's D. Game changer. Would be interesting to see him, GB and Wesley run a full court press.
Watching GB fight through screens is a thing of beauty.

MickMick
02-06-2015, 12:10 PM
I think that Bell has suddenly grasped the idea that his days as a GU player are rapidly coming to a close. I see a new level of urgency in him that I have not seen before. For all of us that thought he has not historically been assertive enough, such thoughts do not apply to him now. When he goes to the hoop, he goes strong. He doesn't pass up nearly as many scoring opportunities as he used to.

bballbeachbum
02-06-2015, 12:27 PM
I think that Bell has suddenly grasped the idea that his days as a GU player are rapidly coming to a close. I see a new level of urgency in him that I have not seen before. For all of us that thought he has not historically been assertive enough, such thoughts do not apply to him now. When he goes to the hoop, he goes strong. He doesn't pass up nearly as many open shots as he used to.

maybe he's realizing it's coming to an end the way all seniors do, but he's been aggressive all year, even when he was missing. difference last few games is he's attacking the rim and taking the punishment once he penetrates instead of altering his finish and missing inside. clearly his role is different this year on O and it took him some time to adjust to the new responsibilities but he has and continues to. just look at last night how he attacked Brownridge on O and made him work tho Brownridge got the better of him the other way also

amaronizag
02-06-2015, 03:57 PM
Brownridge is a stud!!! Sure hope he goes pro and we don't have to play him for two more years of him. He alone can really make the game interesting. He's fun to watch, when I can get past twisting and turning, and gyrating around in fear when he has the ball.

OZZY
02-06-2015, 04:49 PM
Brownridge is a stud!!! Sure hope he goes pro and we don't have to play him for two more years of him. He alone can really make the game interesting. He's fun to watch, when I can get past twisting and turning, and gyrating around in fear when he has the ball.

LOL so right, kind of like (also) when Dee is hot (he went for 29 and 5/9 from the three last night) and and you hope Anderson doesn't get the ball to him...

Hoopaholic
02-06-2015, 05:51 PM

outside the top ten please tell me teams that could control our bigs while at the same time prevent open looks

bballbeachbum
02-07-2015, 06:58 PM
outside the top ten please tell me teams that could control our bigs while at the same time prevent open looks

hey hoop, I hear you, but not what I'm talking about