PDA

View Full Version : Good for Few

VinnyZag
02-05-2015, 10:07 PM
For giving Wiltjer hell for that dunk at the end.

Bocco
02-05-2015, 10:08 PM
Gave Wiltjer hell and apologized to Keating.

Zagdawg
02-05-2015, 10:09 PM
Sportsmanship

Zagricultural
02-05-2015, 10:10 PM
Glad to see that. I know other teams have done that to us, but we don't want to sink to their level.

HillBillyZag
02-05-2015, 10:11 PM
Get real. This isn't CYO 3rd grade ball. Many past G.U. teams would have panicked and lost. This teams doesn't fold.

TacomaZAG
02-05-2015, 10:12 PM
Looks like Keating's total lack of class was in the air in that band box.............just like the measles.

I hope Kyle does it to Rex on Saturday as well...........

Go ZAGS

jazzdelmar
02-05-2015, 10:12 PM
Agree. Bad karma, KW. Can we blame it on his previous coach, who would have applauded it?

Plainsman
02-05-2015, 10:13 PM
More power to Wiltjer - this Zag team is very, very good but they need some attitude at times and I have no problem with this when the Broncos are hacking and fouling down to the last five seconds with no chance to win !

WBM
Few's mad at Kyle...but Pangos fed it to him. Out of habit?

I don't mind it. We never take a shot when the shot clock is off, and I'm happy to see a little emotion come through. Not really classy, but that's where my opinion fell.

hooter73
Meh, continual fouls when down too far with no time left and their student chants... like I said in the game thread, dont bite the hand that lets you play on ESPN.

gonzagafan62
Deservedly so. That was unnecessary KW... Very classless No need. Dumb move. Learn an move on

RenoZag
02-05-2015, 10:14 PM
Bunch of noise about nothing.

Ekrub
02-05-2015, 10:15 PM
Few reaction was more embarrassing than wiltjer dunk

scott257
02-05-2015, 10:15 PM
Few had to act like he was upset, and he probably was. I liked the shot, especially after all the cheap shots they got away with the whole night.

23dpg
02-05-2015, 10:16 PM
Mad at Kyle...but Pangos fed it to him. Out of habit?

Just clearing the zone.

Really poor by Kyle. I loved seeing Few chew his ass there.

Would hate it if any player did that at the Kennel. Poor sportsmanship. He'll learn

ValencyLovesZagsInAtlanta
Can we please not make this a Kyle bashing post. The kid spent a couple years at Kentucky. One of which got him a ring. It was in his DNA to dunk it. I will accept being hated here BUT I really didn't have that much of a problem with it at all. Maybe a reverse next time? :)

Santa Clara was tough as nails tonight. Brownridge is a bonafide PTP'er no doubt. I want our guys aggressive to the end. Santa Clara fought to the end. So much respect to them also.

Marcus
I would have done the same thing as the coach. Wiltjer immediately looked remorseful I thought. Oh well, it happens and I think it was handled appropriately. Hard to turn off emotions sometimes in that kind of .environment

gonzagafan62

Embarrassing? Do we need to learn to show class and win with dignity?

john montana

This. Keating wa Ted to play to the end, but we all know kW should,have dribbled it out. Moving on...

23dpg
02-05-2015, 10:17 PM

You'd be ok if Waldow did that at the Kennel up 12 with 1 second on the clock?

GolfZag
02-05-2015, 10:17 PM

agreed

katman50
02-05-2015, 10:18 PM
Can we please not make this a Kyle bashing post. The kid spent a couple years at Kentucky. One of which got him a ring. It was in his DNA to dunk it. I will accept being hated here BUT I really didn't have that much of a problem with it at all. Maybe a reverse next time? :)

Santa Clara was tough as nails tonight. Brownridge is a bonafide PTP'er no doubt. I want our guys aggressive to the end. Santa Clara fought to the end. So much respect to them also.

Right on! Get over it folks!

Ekrub
02-05-2015, 10:18 PM
Embarrassing? Do we need to learn to show class and win with dignity?

1) it wasn't that big of a deal
2) it could have been handled behind the scenes

Hoopaholic
02-05-2015, 10:19 PM

disagree

RenoZag
02-05-2015, 10:21 PM
You'd be ok if Waldow did that at the Kennel up 12 with 1 second on the clock?

I would expect it.

Of all the sins Kyle W might commit this season, rubbing the Froncos nose in it is the least of my worries.

And I know my POV is a dissent. So be it. Could not care less if the Santa Clara fans are butt hurt.

Zagregious
This is a thread. Wow.

God love y'all.

Good grit tonight Zags. Way to fight out of the ugliness yet again.

Proud of my Zags.

hooter73
Maybe Nunez will start in his place against SF just to show him.

No?

Okay then, moving on...

Pargo the Destroyer
Lotta thin skin in here.

gonzagafan62

It's a big deal to me. I pride myself that our team doesn't do ridiculous thing like this... Two no it needed to be addressed immediately because few was trying to tell him not to shoot it. Win with dignity. Don't be tasteless. It was utter stupid why KW did. Hopefully he learns from it and doesn't do it again. Hopefully few makes him run a bunch more sprints at practice for that

Marcus

It probably surprised Few, I don't think Coach or anyone else on the team will make a big deal about it now. On to San Francisco

Zagdawg
02-05-2015, 10:22 PM
They call that a learning experience ----and I bet Kyle knows better going forward.

It could have been worse.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=msI6pppgUo4

Pargo the Destroyer
I would expect it.

Of all the sins Kyle W might commit this season, rubbing the Froncos nose in it is the least of my worries.

And I know my POV is a dissent. So be it. Could not care less if the Santa Clara fans are butt hurt.

Or the holier than thou GU fans.

maynard g krebs
Shouldn't have done it, but I'm guessing he was pissed about some overly physical play that the home team got away with, and it was an emotional reaction. Not a justification, but an explanation. The kids are human; not good but a small matter in the bigger scope of things.

GolfZag
02-05-2015, 10:23 PM
It's a big deal to me. I pride myself that our team doesn't do ridiculous thing like this... Two no it needed to be addressed immediately because few was trying to tell him not to shoot it. Win with dignity. Don't be tasteless. It was utter stupid why KW did. Hopefully he learns from it and doesn't do it again. Hopefully few makes him run a bunch more sprints at practice for that

Wow! R-E-L-A-X

JPtheBeasta
02-05-2015, 10:23 PM
Did that dunk get us up over 70% shooting for the game?

02-05-2015, 10:24 PM

The lashing didn't seem to really effect Kyle. Hopefully coach learned from this :)!

Really though I loved Few working the refs at the 3:23 mark in the second half. I found myself REALLYxo drawn to him at that moment. :)

Pargo the Destroyer
02-05-2015, 10:24 PM

You can't be serious.

RenoZag
02-05-2015, 10:25 PM

Finished at 69% for the game, 71,4% for the second half.

http://stats.statbroadcast.com/statmonitr/?id=71491&a=1

DixieZag
There is no conflict between saying it wasn't cool but also saying it's not a huge deal. That's where I fall. Better he hadn't done, not a huge deal either way.

:)

Marcus
02-05-2015, 10:26 PM
We should probably all just move on, it happened, it's over, it's been addressed. :D

hooter73
02-05-2015, 10:27 PM
Im going to bed.

Birddog
02-05-2015, 10:28 PM
Shouldn't have done it, but I'm guessing he was pissed about some overly physical play that the home team got away with, and it was an emotional reaction. Not a justification, but an explanation. The kids are human; not good but a small matter in the bigger scope of things.

That's what I was thinking too, or maybe the Rough Riders deserved it for some of their chit.

zag67
02-05-2015, 10:29 PM
Handled well. Said something but did not press it. KW knows and that is what coach wanted.

doctorzag
02-05-2015, 10:30 PM

agreed

gonzagafan62
02-05-2015, 10:30 PM
You can't be serious.

Do you come here just to bash posters opinions or what? I am serious. I'm not killing the kid for one mistake. An opinion is like an @$$ everybody ha one. Get over it

JPtheBeasta
02-05-2015, 10:32 PM
Finished at 69% for the game, 71,4% for the second half.

http://stats.statbroadcast.com/statmonitr/?id=71491&a=1

Turnovers would have been the story today that overshadowed 71% shooting in the second half (!) had we lost. We saw yet another game where a majority of our makes were on assists. We are our own worst enemy right now. I'm glad this team has so much depth and talent that a dunk with 1 second left is the big story of the night, and not an upset loss.

VinnyZag
02-05-2015, 10:32 PM

I agree with this, and I am serious.

02-05-2015, 10:33 PM
Or the holier than thou GU fans.

Good points!!!! I wish he did a Shaq and broke the backboard! Crash! Trust me if we are down in the Tournament playing in a Regional Final in Kentucky's backyard (assuming we were to get a lower level 2 seed) what would happen? Slam jam CITY BABY! We need that Pargo the Destroyer mentality!

ZagLawGrad
02-05-2015, 10:35 PM
I had no issue with the dunk. A little bit of nasty sprinkled here and there might be a good thing.

23dpg
02-05-2015, 10:36 PM
Good points!!!! I wish he did a Shaq and broke the backboard! Crash! Trust me if we are down in the Tournament playing in a Regional Final in Kentucky's backyard (assuming we were to get a lower level 2 seed) what would happen? Slam jam CITY BABY! We need that Pargo the Destroyer mentality!

None of that has anything to do with how the Zags will do in the tourney. (They will do well)
Also, I dislike Calipari a great deal, but he would not allow his players to do that either.

02-05-2015, 10:36 PM
I love everyone of youxoxoxoxo! Great win and goodnight. Thanks for the spirited opinions and I enjoyed reading them. I respect them all. On to SF!

Robzagnut
02-05-2015, 10:37 PM

Like Keating calling timeout down 10 with 30 seconds to go?

Baseline
02-05-2015, 10:37 PM
If it had been a blow out game it would bother me, but this was a nice statement to a hard fought game. Would prefer it hadn't happened, but not worth worrying about.

gonzagafan62
02-05-2015, 10:38 PM
I love everyone of youxoxoxoxo! Great win and goodnight. Thanks for the spirited opinions and I enjoyed reading the. I respect them all. On to SF!

Yup. I've discussed it. Time to move on!!!! Let's go zags!!!

Vanzagger
Few's mad at Kyle...but Pangos fed it to him. Out of habit?

I don't mind it. We never take a shot when the shot clock is off, and I'm happy to see a little emotion come through. Not really classy, but that's where my opinion fell.

I was sort of wondering why Pangos fed him the ball. The replay shows Kyle running down the floor calling for the ball. I respect Coach for showing emotion because the play did lack sportsmanship. But things happen in the between the lines that we wish we could take back. Like many of you have said..."learning experience". And this play takes nothing away from an unbelievable hard fought team win in a spirited environment.

Kyle keep your head up. You have been a great leader/teammate this whole season.

Pargo the Destroyer
Just yours bud. You pride yourself? They're kids. Certainly not perfect...and in the heat of the moment. And like someone else mentioned someone from Santa Clara probably did something to make him want to dunk the ball at the end. Anyways. You're right.....everyone has an opinion. I don't agree with yours. Life goes on.

Bouldin4Prez
Should KW have done it? No. Did it require Few to chew him out on National TV? Probably not. Take him aside in the locker room after the game and let him know that a play like that is unnecessary in the situation. I don't like coaches bashing kids when on National TV, just don't think it's right. Never been a Frank Martin fan specifically because of that.

Either way, pretty pointless thread. Both have probably put it past them already and are gearing up for Saturday's contest.

cggonzaga
There's nothing to learn from here. Kyle and every GU player knows not to do that. Clearly something provoked Kyle and he didn't care about the consequences. Not a big deal.

convertedZagfan
02-05-2015, 10:41 PM
Not classy, handled well, no big deal. The biggest aspect in my mind, first time I remember Wiltjer dunking this season.

Mantua
02-05-2015, 10:42 PM
There's nothing to learn from here. Kyle and every GU player knows not to do that. Clearly something provoked Kyle and he didn't care about the consequences. Not a big deal.

Most of our players looked pretty mad. There was something going on...

As I said in another thread, I would have dunked it after that game.

DarkZagRises
02-05-2015, 10:46 PM
Agree this shouldn't ever happen. And I think Few was justified with his reaction.

BUT... I'd be lying if I said it wasn't a guilty pleasure. Just being honest. Liked seeing that fire.

Zagceo
02-05-2015, 10:46 PM
As soon as it happened I said why did Pangos do that…..he knew better than to pass it to Wiltjer!!!!!

zagbeliever
02-05-2015, 10:49 PM
It happened and Kyle won't do it again. Let it go.

Mantua
02-05-2015, 10:50 PM
As soon as it happened I said why did Pangos do that…..he knew better than to pass it to Wiltjer!!!!!
He was trying to get the ball across the line and, with practically no time left, the Broncs were trying to FOUL him!

Eye for an eye. Not the right thing to do, but effective.

Zagceo
02-05-2015, 10:51 PM
Kyle did it for what ever reason and I'm backing him!

Few reacted how I would have expected I'm backing him its over.

zag buddy
02-05-2015, 10:51 PM
Kyle W. , he is our go to guy. As far as the dunk, I would rather Mark Few realized how important stats are for our players future. I would like to see him more concerned for our players futures than our opponents feelings. You play the game for 40 minutes if they choose not to guard, you score. Do lyou all think if they would have stolen the ball on the in bound pass since the game was out of reach that they wouldn't of shot it ---really.

Zagceo
02-05-2015, 10:52 PM
He was trying to get the ball across the line and, with practically no time left, the Broncs were trying to FOUL him!

I'm joking

CaliforniaZaggin'
02-05-2015, 10:52 PM
I smell tacos.

WallaWallaZag
02-05-2015, 10:53 PM
in the "no big deal" camp on this one...shouldn't have done it, but few's reaction maybe a little over the top...and for the poster who stated he "prides himself" on how the zags handle business, i would hope you have better things to be proud of than how a bunch of 18-22 year old basketball players behave on the court...zags are known for playing the right way, one dunk won't change that.

jpn17
02-05-2015, 10:53 PM
I would expect it.

Agreed 100% This is a non issue.

Birddog
02-05-2015, 10:56 PM
I didn't realize that so many regulars on this board wore panties.

dan71w
02-05-2015, 10:56 PM
I had no problem with it, we see teams all the time pull crap against us, everything from storming the court to kicking, and our boys in the face,,,,,it is nice to see a little attitude from our boys.

Mantua
02-05-2015, 10:57 PM
)
I'm joking

Oh, I though you might have a poor memory. ;)

bigblahla
02-05-2015, 10:57 PM
Wow three pages and counting for an Oops moment....?

Go!! Zags

Zagdawg
02-05-2015, 10:58 PM
Can't we discuss the worst 12 point win ever.........I mean 14 point win ever.

Or Tacos.......

zagamatic
02-05-2015, 10:58 PM
I can't say that I'm "happy" that he dunked it, but I'm not unhappy either. Not with Kyle or with Few and his reaction. What did bother me is that they were still fouling, etc when it was clear that they weren't going to win. I understand that they were not wanting to give up and/or using it as kind of a practice session. But frankly, we're a national title contender (which is good for the ENTIRE conference including Santa Clara) and there could have been an injury to a key player(s). For that reason I understand why Kyle dunked it. And if another team decides to put our guys in harm's way when they're clearly going to lose, I'm perfectly ok with dunking on them too. Competitive game to the end, fine, play your hardest. But don't endanger the other team for no reason.

phxfireflames
02-05-2015, 10:59 PM
Pangos was just padding his assist total, Coach Few has always stressed that the Zags are at their best when they share the ball ;)

Zag 77
02-05-2015, 11:02 PM
Coach Few wanted his point understood right away and I think if anybody on the team did not know what he expects in the closing moments of the game, they sure know it now. However, I think it probably did not linger in Few's mind very long. I recall a showboat move Gary Bell, Jr did with another player a couple of years ago that resulted in a failed dunk attempt. Few made his point and then everybody moved on. But nobody ever tried to do it again. I think Few was also a little embarrassed that his player did a classless move in front of Kerry Keating. I think there is a little sense that Few might not think Keating has a lot of class and does not want to stoop to his level.

CaliforniaZaggin'
If you frowned at Kyle's dunk, then I assume you burned your Seahawks jersey the first time Marshawn Lynch grabbed himself after scoring a touchdown.

Ekrub
Excited to see how this board reacts when sabonis gets his first technical... We all know it's coming.

Zags_Fanatic
02-05-2015, 11:05 PM
Wiltjer apologized in post game interviews:

"I feel really bad for that," Wiltjer said. "I apologize to the fans and the coaches. It's the heat of the moment. Someone said something on the sideline and I took it personal. That's not me."

Zagdawg
02-05-2015, 11:08 PM
Good to see our boys are adults and understand the situation....now if our fans to get to their level....;)

We forgive you and understand Kyle----let's drive on and beat San Francisco.