PDA

View Full Version : OT: Syracuse Self-Imposes Post Season Ban

RenoZag
02-04-2015, 05:59 PM
LINK (http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/12280636/syracuse-basketball-team-self-imposes-postseason-ban-year-response-ncaa-investigation)

The ban includes the NCAA tournament, ACC tournament and NIT. The ACC tournament will feature 14 teams instead of 15, according to the league, and teams will slide up to replace Syracuse once the regular season ends. Syracuse is included in any tiebreakers for determining seeds.

"I am very disappointed that our basketball team will miss the opportunity to play in the postseason this year," coach Jim Boeheim said in a news release. "However, I supported this decision and I believe the University is doing the right thing by acknowledging that past mistakes occurred."

In 2012, Syracuse declared former center Fab Melo ineligible for the NCAA tournament days before it started. Melo also missed three Big East games during the season because of an academic issue. Early in the 2012-13 season, former forward James Southerland sat out six games for an academic issue but helped lead the Orange to the Final Four.

These self-imposed bans usually indicate some serious doo-doo will be revealed. Would not be surprised if the NCAA adds another year and takes away some scholarships too.

I feel bad for the kids who had nothing to do with it. Can't say the same for that weasel Boeheim.

Zag 77
02-04-2015, 07:09 PM
Syracuse is 15-7 and having a crappy season in which they are going nowhere. They are hoping the NCAA will let THIS season count as the season that gets punished instead of next year.

While the Orange have only eight scholarship players currently available to play due to injuries, Boeheim has the top recruiting class in his 39 years as head coach inked for next year and big things are expected as he nears 1,000 career victories. If the NCAA agrees a one-year postseason ban is sufficient, the new recruits won't be affected.

http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/12280636/syracuse-basketball-team-self-imposes-postseason-ban-year-response-ncaa-investigation

23dpg
02-04-2015, 07:14 PM
Breaking news:
Jim Boeheim has issued a self-imposed ban and will not be eligible for the Mr. Universe title this year.

RenoZag
02-04-2015, 07:18 PM
Breaking news:
Jim Boeheim has issued a self-imposed ban and will not be eligible for the Mr. Universe title this year.

:clap:

caduceus
02-04-2015, 07:33 PM
A few thoughts:

1) It's unfortunate to punish the current Syracuse players for stuff that happened long before these kids even matriculated.

2) It's very curious that Syracuse would "self-impose" punishment halfway through their worst season in years. Pretty sure Boeheim a) wants to avoid further punishment in a "not-playing-like-crap" year, and b) doesn't want to bother going to Greensboro this year.

3) Seems to me that punishment ought to be meted out to those responsible (like coaches, even if they leave their program) rather than current programs where no ongoing violation is found. Hit 'em in their wallet, or suspend them from the sport for a year and see how quickly these kinds of problems disappear. Start with Boeheim since his program seems to be repeatedly caught breaking the rules. And the NCAA shouldn't have to take years to sort this stuff out -- shame on them for their incompetence.

Section 116
02-04-2015, 08:04 PM
Zag77 nailed it in my opinion!

ZagaZags
02-04-2015, 08:58 PM
Zag77 nailed it in my opinion!

+1

DixieZag
02-04-2015, 08:59 PM
Until sanctions are levied against coaches, such as fines, suspensions, etc. the upside will always be on the favor of skirting the rules. If the NCAA wants to clean up these abuses, suspend the head coach for 2 years, no pay, and transferable to any school. One would see programs that are clean as a whistle.

As it is, there is no need for a coach to worry about such details. And that is why I do not believe the NCAA is committed to keeping programs clean. They are committed up to a point, but not willing to take the most important/effective step.

23dpg
02-04-2015, 09:15 PM
Nobody is fooled by this.

ESPN, SI, and Yahoo all have articles and tweets saying basically the same thing. It sure seems curious that they announce it during a season in which no one had them in the tourney in the first place. Also, let's announce it during football signing day.

Another breaking news story:

I, 23dpg regret to announce that I will not be purchasing a Gulfstream Jet this year.

Zagceo
02-04-2015, 09:32 PM
NCAA governing body is not what most people think it is or want it to be IMHO!

In April 2010, the NCAA signed a 14-year, $10.8 billion contract with CBS and Turner Sports to televise the men's tournament. The NCAA expects more than $740 million to be distributed to its members annually through 2024.

Its job is protect and grow the revenue stream which is wide and deep.

Penalizing programs is bad for business best keep it to a minimum if at all.

I could be wrong and it's not about the money.

TheZagPhish
02-04-2015, 09:39 PM
I, 23dpg regret to announce that I will not be purchasing a Gulfstream Jet this year.

Next year's G650 is going to have some tasty upgrades anyway. Save that extra $65m until then.

http://cl.ly/ZdC2/gulfstream-private-jet-g650.jpg

CDC84
02-05-2015, 10:00 AM
More on Syracuse from TSN:

http://www.sportingnews.com/ncaa-basketball/story/2015-02-05/syracuse-self-imposed-ncaa-tournament-ban-jim-boeheim-march-madness-acc-rakeem-christmas