• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • DZ
    Zag for Life
    • Sep 2007

Meehan; 2013 versus 2015

Cool article: http://www.spokesman.com/stories/201...-zags-2013-14/

“I would say that we’re just different with (Kyle) Wiltjer,” coach Mark Few said. “He just adds a different dimension with that skill package he brings. The way we’re moving the ball is vastly different than (2013), although that team was extremely efficient on offense, too.

“That team was a little more athletic inside and could do more things with those bigs, as far as activating them on the perimeter with screen-and-roll
    .”

“We score it all five positions, which we didn’t do that year,” Few said. “We had Mike Hart (2 ppg), who was a phenomenal glue guy, defensive player and rebounder. He just did it all for us. This team can score it at all five positions and we can pretty much do that no matter who we sub.”
    Much more at the link.
    Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.
    Mark Twain.
  • Zagceo
    Zag for Life
    • Nov 2013

Good article.

I like the "so thats to be continued" at the end by Few……. a play on Padre Tonys old "to be continued"…maybe?…probably not but put a smile on my face

GO ZAGS

Comment

• MDABE80
      Zag for Life
      • Feb 2007

It's going to begin. It does every year.....http://www.vavel.com/en-us/ncaa/coll...top-teams.html

The blogs on most espn type s are usually repleat with the doubters all these years later. We absolutely need a deep deep run to begin shutting them up. Even one won't do it unless we get to the FF. Multiple years will be required. 2013 is one they'll always point to. It's lessened in the past 2 years but those reference will emerge
      No substitute for winning a crown. Performance counts.

Comment

• Reborn
        Zag for Life
        • Oct 2007

Hahahahaha I'm laughing because this is another thread I have been thinking about posting. And now here it is. Thanks. I think the article is great, and most of what I would say is in that article. Meehan is very good. I liked what Kevin Pangos said. He and Bell are seniors now, and more experienced and mature. And Pangos also talks about the experience of Wesley and Wiltjer and McClelland. And both Mark Few and Kevin point to the fact that this team has five guys who can score, and Few takes it further (and I agree) and says that, in fact, GU has eight guys who can score.

I really liked Elias Harris a lot. He was great. But, imo, the combination of Wiltjer and Sabonis can do more together then Elias and Sam Dower could. Elias was sometimes a very good player both in one on one situations and on the boards. But honestly he was not always. He was inconsistent, imo. And, at times, his height kept him from becoming the type of player that both Sabonis and Wiltjer can become. Dower was also a good outside shooter, but he could not stretch a defense like Wiltjer can. Simply, Wiltjer can shoot further out. And at times, especially early on in Sam's career, he was good inside with his left hand, but teams began to figure out how to stop him. So far, they have not figured that out with Sabonis.

Mt Karnowski is now a Junior, and imo, is the best passing center that Gonzaga has had in the Mark Few era. It's becoming more and more difficult to double team him because of his passing skills. He is making teams pay for double teaming him by passing out to our Ninja Shooters. This Gonzaga team is so difficult to beat. Many say that the only team that can beat Kentucky is Kentucky. I feel I can now say that about this years Gonzaga team.

Go Zags!!!
        One game at a time!
        Go Zags!!! The Best Is Yet To Come!!!

Comment

• gonzagafan62
          Zag for Life
          • Nov 2013

I loved that 2013 team. Was such a fun year. It seemed as though the games were highly competitive and exciting as well. I think this team is a lot better though. Karno, Bell, and Pangos are better than they were, and Wiltjer is slightly better than Harris IMO. Wesley is a slasher we have never had before, and the bench and depth are better.
          Qualified for 26 Straight Big Dances

15 Straight Round of 32s

14 Sweet Sixteens (9 Straight)

6 Elite Eights

2017 AND 2021 FINAL FOUR

2 Winningest Players in college basketball history (Karnowski 137, Perkins 134)

2021 Undefeated Regular Season

The Best Point Guard to ever play the game: John Stockton, most assists, most steals.

Comment

• DZ
            Zag for Life
            • Sep 2007

Bell was a shadow of his real self in 2013 b/c of all the injuries even prior to Wichita. He's healthy.
            Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.
            Mark Twain.

Comment

• hooter73
              Zag for Life
              • Jun 2008

The experience of this team is what is getting us through. in 2013 it was the power punch of Kelly basically being unstoppable, Harris playing so solid and Hart giving the extra possessions. Pangos had a good year there too but we still had to have go-to sharp shooters like Barham to get out of a plateau.

I am enamored with KO and I believe he is the best big out of the group of bigs form both teams but our TEAM this year would win out over the 2013 squad every time imo

Comment

• zagmantis2001
                Kennel Club
                • Feb 2007

Not a good article

Originally posted by MDABE80 View Post
                It's going to begin. It does every year.....http://www.vavel.com/en-us/ncaa/coll...top-teams.html

The blogs on most espn type s are usually repleat with the doubters all these years later. We absolutely need a deep deep run to begin shutting them up. Even one won't do it unless we get to the FF. Multiple years will be required. 2013 is one they'll always point to. It's lessened in the past 2 years but those reference will emerge
                At least the writer could have got his facts straight. GU played Arizona in 2003, before Morrison was a freshman. The loss that they always bring up with the tears on the court was in 2006 against UCLA, not Arizona.

Comment

• kitzbuel
                  • Feb 2007

Here is my comparison of the two teams.

2015 || 2013
                  Karno < KO (barely)
                  Wiltjer > Dower
                  Wesley = Harris
                  Pangos > Pangos
                  Bell > Bell

Sabonis > Hart
                  Perkins (Please!) > Stockton
                  Dranginis > Dranginis

I think this year's versions of GBJ, KP and Draino are better then 2013.
                  'I found it is the small everyday deeds of ordinary folk that keep the darkness at bay… small acts of kindness and love.'
                  - Gandalf the Grey

Foo Time

Comment

• Zagdawg
                    Zag for Life
                    • Feb 2007

If you add in McClellan and Melson-- it only gets better.

Comment

• seacatfan
                      Zag for Life
                      • Feb 2014

Originally posted by kitzbuel View Post
                      Here is my comparison of the two teams.

2015 || 2013
                      Karno < KO (barely)
                      Wiltjer > Dower
                      Wesley = Harris
                      Pangos > Pangos
                      Bell > Bell

Sabonis > Hart
                      Perkins (Please!) > Stockton
                      Dranginis > Dranginis

I think this year's versions of GBJ, KP and Draino are better then 2013.
                      You've got that a bit mixed and matched with starters and who played what positions. Your comparisons should be Wiltjer-Harris, Wesley-Hart and Sabonis-Dower. Not that it will tip the balance either way. Also Perkins hasn't played for well over a month and is unlikely to be available any time soon. I guess you'd have to compare Stockton to McClellan, who we've only had brief glimpses of in about 5 games.

Comment

• RenoZag
                        Super Moderator
                        • Feb 2007

Originally posted by MDABE80 View Post

Why do we give two shakes about what doubting media types think ? As you point out, they will always be there. Hell, we have enough skepticism in this on-line community to fill ten of Myron Mecalf's columns.

Beat the Broncos !
                        The GUB Resource Library: Links to: Stats, Blogs, Brackets, & More. . .

“They go to school. They do their homework. They shake hands. They say please and thank you. But once you throw that ball up, they will rip your heart out and watch you bleed.” -- Jay Bilas

Comment

• kitzbuel
                          • Feb 2007

Originally posted by seacatfan View Post
                          You've got that a bit mixed and matched with starters and who played what positions. Your comparisons should be Wiltjer-Harris, Wesley-Hart and Sabonis-Dower. Not that it will tip the balance either way. Also Perkins hasn't played for well over a month and is unlikely to be available any time soon. I guess you'd have to compare Stockton to McClellan, who we've only had brief glimpses of in about 5 games.
                          Yeah, there is not a good, direct player correlation between the two teams, mainly because of this year's depth. Sabonis could also match up against Harris as well, and Wesley with Hart. I think Sabonis = Harris as of now and Wesley > Hart, so it is about the same.
                          'I found it is the small everyday deeds of ordinary folk that keep the darkness at bay… small acts of kindness and love.'
                          - Gandalf the Grey

Foo Time

Comment

• krozman
                            Zag for Life
                            • Feb 2008

And if we face an 8 seed that hits 9 straight 3's in a row at the end of the game, this team will probably lose too. I do like the article....it seems fair without being overbearing to make a point.
                            Krozman
                            GU student 1996-2000
                            Law Student 2000-2003

Comment

• seacatfan
                              Zag for Life
                              • Feb 2014

Originally posted by kitzbuel View Post
                              Yeah, there is not a good, direct player correlation between the two teams, mainly because of this year's depth. Sabonis could also match up against Harris as well, and Wesley with Hart. I think Sabonis = Harris as of now and Wesley > Hart, so it is about the same.
                              I wasn't sure if you were going for players with similar styles/roles or just directly starters at each position. I think 2015 is a stronger team, much better depth and more scorers. Olynk had a transcendent season, Harris was really solid and the 2 soph guards were a nice pair in 2013. Stockton and Hart logged a lot of minutes that year and both were very offensively challenged, led to quite a bit of imbalance for the Zags. Don't have that issue this year. Despite the #1 seed and #1 ranking in the final regular season poll for 2013, I think 2009 is really the only other Zag team comparable to this year's for overall talent, and they underachieved that season (not that they had a chance of beating UNC, but they lost several regular season games they had no business losing, could've had a better seed in the Tourney if they took care of business).

Comment

Working...
                              X